2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Imagine that you are a family physician and are seeing a 15 year old girl for menstrual cramps. Her mother has accompanied her for this visit. When you examine the patient without her mother present, she tells you that she is sexually active. She begs you not to tell her mother because of her family’s strong values against teen sex. Discuss your next steps.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i am applying here too! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha so far I think I'm applying to every school the two of you are applying too.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol. Does anyone know their pre clinical grading scheme?

Applying here. I've met some residents who went to school here and said they loved it. :xf:

Applying. Hoping the secondary goes back to how it was before lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here! Im In State... Good Luck everyone!!!

Applying here, top choice for me! Anybody know what aspects they value highly?

Applying here too. This looks like a great school!

I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

Well, not a current student but I am matriculating here in August. The secondary last year was a unique essay prompt with a character limit around 7500 characters or something pretty long. I remember seeing in the forum that some people didn't use the full limit, and some only wrote about 1/3 of the limit. It seems that the content is what is more important. My interviewer specifically mentioned my secondary essay and the content and asked how I formed the opinion I presented, so my best advice would be to spend enough time preparing, writing, and editing your essay.

After that, it is all a waiting game and you just wait to hear back!

Interviews are very laid back and conversational. The interviewers just want to get to know you, and they truly want to impress you as well. Many commented that it was the most positive interview they had.

Got an email about application login but no secondary yet :[ let the frantic website checks commence...

got the initial screening email as well

There is no log in. They haven't screened for the secondary yet.

Anyone else apply here who is verified and not receive an email today?

I got an email back (primary verified 06/11) but no secondary yet. Will they send another email when my secondary gets released or will I have to keep refreshing their website?

Okay at least I am not alone, I hope I get a secondary!

Stat wise I am pretty much spot on with the schools avg's on MSAR. So guess we will see!

I got an email back (primary verified 06/11) but no secondary yet. Will they send another email when my secondary gets released or will I have to keep refreshing their website?

I'd like to know this.

I'd like to know this.

Hey guys! I'm an incoming M1 so I haven't started at VCU yet, but I've been through the app process. They will ALWAYS email you when your status on their website changes. That's when you get a secondary, once you've been reviewed and get the MAY/further/etc status, get an interview invite, a post interview hold, acceptance, waitlist, rejection.. Everything! So you don't have to keep refreshing. Also, the emails about status changes are just about guaranteed to come around 6:30 pm EST time.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! I'm an incoming M1 so I haven't started at VCU yet, but I've been through the app process. They will ALWAYS email you when your status on their website changes. That's when you get a secondary, once you've been reviewed and get the MAY/further/etc status, get an interview invite, a post interview hold, acceptance, waitlist, rejection.. Everything! So you don't have to keep refreshing. Also, the emails about status changes are just about guaranteed to come around 6:30 pm EST time.

That's good to know. What made you chose VCU, if you don't mind me asking? I'm definitely interested here since it's close to home (I'm in Maryland).

I know sometimes emails came at 11:00 EST. Either 11:00 EST or 6:30 EST, but they are always at a uniform time and a bunch of people will get them all at the same time.

That's good to know. What made you chose VCU, if you don't mind me asking? I'm definitely interested here since it's close to home (I'm in Maryland).

Tbh, it was my only MD acceptance - so that's why! But during the interview season it was by far my favorite of all the schools I interviewed at. So I'm glad my acceptance came from my first choice.

I just fell in love with VCU at my interview. I was actually not so crazy about Richmond before I visited based on things I had heard. But I turned out to love the city, too. The medical campus is just so state of the art. I love the different special little things they do, like helping you set up a study plan for Step 1 and give you time off specifically to study for it. Plus I like the 1.5 year curriculum.

Reactions: 2 users
My AMCAS was finally verified today around 2pm, and then received the VCU email with website log-in info around 6pm:

Dear Applicant:

The School of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University on the Medical College of Virginia Campus has received your preliminary application from AMCAS. You may check your application status any time on our website at www.apps.som.vcu.edu/app_web/login/login.aspx. This site will be our primary communication method with you, so please visit it on a regular basis. This website outlines the admissions process at our school, and it provides you with more information about combined programs that are offered at our University. In addition to checking our website on a regular basis, it is imperative that you make sure your email address is up to date with AMCAS since our office will use email to send interview invitations and notices of committee actions on your file. Email is the primary form of communication that our office employs. Please check your email on a regular basis and look for important notices and updates. In the past, students have informed us that their email server places emails from our office in 'Junk Mail' because the send is not one that is familiar to their address book; for this reason, it is critical that you also check your 'Junk Mail' folder and perhaps adjust the filter on it.

Please contact our office as soon as possible if you are unable to obtain access to the Internet. Thank you for your interest in our school and best of luck with the application process.

School of Medicine Admissions Office
Virginia Commonwealth University
Sanger Hall, Room 1-014
1101 East Marshall Street
P.O. Box 980565
Richmond, VA 23298-0565
Phone: (804) 828-9629
Fax: (804) 828-1246

Tbh, it was my only MD acceptance - so that's why! But during the interview season it was by far my favorite of all the schools I interviewed at. So I'm glad my acceptance came from my first choice.

I just fell in love with VCU at my interview. I was actually not so crazy about Richmond before I visited based on things I had heard. But I turned out to love the city, too. The medical campus is just so state of the art. I love the different special little things they do, like helping you set up a study plan for Step 1 and give you time off specifically to study for it. Plus I like the 1.5 year curriculum.

Congrats on your acceptance :). I live in the area (Maryland) so it's a top choice for me. Do you mind me asking what your stats were (or mdapps)? Also I had no idea that they had a 1.5 year curriculum - that's one of the things I liked when I saw it at other schools so I'll be sure to look at it in more detail - thank you for sharing!

Got the secondary today. It was quite a short one. Good Luck All! I have heard this is a fantastic school!

Was the essay the same as last year? About your friend having a curable cancer or something?

Got the secondary today. It was quite a short one. Good Luck All! I have heard this is a fantastic school!
oops nevermind...my computer must have glitched because it threw me back to this school when I was on a different school. Sorry