2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of us who interviewed on 1/8...did any of you guys get in or get any status update or ANYTHING?? Still sitting on a survey status. :(
I JUST got the survey status today...so nothing from me either! Guess March 16th will have to be the magic day!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Only two people on here said they were in? I don't believe the person who said they got in at 3pm.

I know it doesn't represent everyone who got in but two on SDN just seems so low...

I wonder if they gave out very few acceptances today, and if so, why?

Only two people on here said they were in? I don't believe the person who said they got in at 3pm.

I know it doesn't represent everyone who got in but two on SDN just seems so low...

I wonder if they gave out very few acceptances today, and if so, why?

I'm thinking that person might have meant they got the hold status finally and were thinking they'd get the acceptance the same day...i think that's happened before but not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who already interviewed, could you please describe what the day was like. Due to work responsibilities, would it affect me if I skip the tour and lunch with medical students? Would I be able to make a 2.40pm flight if I leave campus at 1.15pm?

Definitely. The airport is about 15 min from downtown. I don't know about security and stuff but you should be fine

Called recently and my application still hasn't been presented to the committee. I interviewed almost 3 weeks ago. VERY nervous my interviewer basically forgot who I am at this point anyway...

Hey all!
OOS Acceptance! Interviewed late October. Didn't receive the status change email until today at 6:22 EST...not sure why this is...Hopefully it wasn't a fluke!! Maybe there are still some on the way??

Reactions: 4 users
Called recently and my application still hasn't been presented to the committee. I interviewed almost 3 weeks ago. VERY nervous my interviewer basically forgot who I am at this point anyway...

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. The interviewers interview, literally, hundreds of people. I feel like I should have walked in wearing a red suit with the cure for cancer in one hand and the meaning of life in the other just to make a decent impression.

Does anyone know the difference in their process for MD/PhD? I needed an extra letter and my application wasn't complete for VCU until November. I got an interview in January, got hold status on the website almost immediately, and a week or so ago got a letter from the MD/PhD director that I was waitlisted for that program but that this would "not affect consideration for the medical school, as this is a separate admissions process" or something like that. Therefore I was really hoping to at least get an acceptance there on Monday, but no dice. I'm not sure if me applying MD/PhD lessens my chances for MD-only, since I have been afraid to tell them I would take that program as well (though I totally would!), or if these really are two totally separate processes. I only had specifically MD/PhD interviews. I'm afraid to get my hopes up again for 3/16.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the difference in their process for MD/PhD? I needed an extra letter and my application wasn't complete for VCU until November. I got an interview in January, got hold status on the website almost immediately, and a week or so ago got a letter from the MD/PhD director that I was waitlisted for that program but that this would "not affect consideration for the medical school, as this is a separate admissions process" or something like that. Therefore I was really hoping to at least get an acceptance there on Monday, but no dice. I'm not sure if me applying MD/PhD lessens my chances for MD-only, since I have been afraid to tell them I would take that program as well (though I totally would!), or if these really are two totally separate processes. I only had specifically MD/PhD interviews. I'm afraid to get my hopes up again for 3/16.

MD/PhD admissions are different. We're still considered at the committee meetings, but they've offered all of their seats at this point. We won't hear offers probably until people with multiple acceptances turn VCU down, at which point they'll move down their ranking list. Hope this helps!

MD/PhD admissions are different. We're still considered at the committee meetings, but they've offered all of their seats at this point. We won't hear offers probably until people with multiple acceptances turn VCU down, at which point they'll move down their ranking list. Hope this helps!

I think that part makes sense to me already. I'm just wondering how being in the MD/PhD pool affects my chances for the MD-only pool as well, since I seem to be getting the same status updates and such as everyone else in that department-- and like many of us, no changes on Monday.

I'm really hoping they start to move down the lists for both groups. I know there was at least one MD/PhD interview date with another 4+ people after mine, so they have to expect for some movement. Fingers crossed!

Interview invite tonight! Complete mid October, May status Mid Jan. Scheduled for Monday! They had a lot of available dates.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got in! (MD/PhD)

Good luck, everyone! For those already accepted and going, see you in Richmond :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to those who were accepted! Does anyone know what is the average debt amount for graduates and if VCU gives out any scholarships?

Interview invite today. Scheduled for 2/25. OOS. 3.5 cGPA/sGPA with strong upward trend and 34 MCAT!

What's the interview like? Anyone?

For most the interview is fairly casual. They're supposed to read your file and get to know you before. During the interview they ask some pretty standard interview questions to gauge who you are as a person within an hour time frame

My interview was actually the opposite; the interviewer didn't know ANYTHING about me. Didn't know my background, test scores, GPA, etc. I kind of liked that actually, and he was a great guy. Certainly made me feel comfortable. Hopefully March 16th will give me (and us all) some love. Fingers crossed.

My interview was actually the opposite; the interviewer didn't know ANYTHING about me. Didn't know my background, test scores, GPA, etc. I kind of liked that actually, and he was a great guy. Certainly made me feel comfortable. Hopefully March 16th will give me (and us all) some love. Fingers crossed.

That's exactly why I said most haha. MY interview was exactly how you described. The guy walked in and said: "I'm not like most of the interviewers here. I don't learn about you at all ahead of time. So, dazzle me". He was a nice guy but it was definitely intimidating. Hoping for the best as well!

Is there a place to leave a small suitcase before the interview?

d
That's exactly why I said most haha. MY interview was exactly how you described. The guy walked in and said: "I'm not like most of the interviewers here. I don't learn about you at all ahead of time. So, dazzle me". He was a nice guy but it was definitely intimidating. Hoping for the best as well!

Wait, who was your interviewer? Mine was a really nice pediatrician from the Richmond area. He mentioned the movie "21," which used the phrase "dazzle me" in the beginning....

d

Wait, who was your interviewer? Mine was a really nice pediatrician from the Richmond area. He mentioned the movie "21," which used the phrase "dazzle me" in the beginning....

That's him!

Finally got the post-interview hold status, now I will wait it out until March 16th with everyone else! Good luck to everyone :)

Finally got the post-interview hold status, now I will wait it out until March 16th with everyone else! Good luck to everyone :)

Same, finally got the hold status! March 16th needs to hurry!

Dang! When did you guys interview? I still haven't heard anything and it's been more than a month the.

Dang! When did you guys interview? I still haven't heard anything and it's been more than a month the.

Same as you, jan 8th, but we had diff interviewers I think. Mine was the fourth year student.

Hey dude, did you at least get a survey from them? Or has it been complete silence thus far?

I got a survey like 4 days after.
Oh so you got a survey 4 days after your interview, but havent received the post-interview hold? Thats a really long wait... I wonder if that means you have not yet been presented to the committee? But then.. what would explain you getting the survey, and yet not the hold status? I hope it goes well!

Oh so you got a survey 4 days after your interview, but havent received the post-interview hold? Thats a really long wait... I wonder if that means you have not yet been presented to the committee? But then.. what would explain you getting the survey, and yet not the hold status? I hope it goes well!

We interviewed the same day and had the survey at the same time, but our interviewers were unable to present our file for a long time...it's been over a month and I just received the hold status. I think mine was finally able to present, but theirs hasn't yet...

We interviewed the same day and had the survey at the same time, but our interviewers were unable to present our file for a long time...it's been over a month and I just received the hold status. I think mine was finally able to present, but theirs hasn't yet...

yep.

I interviewed on October 20th and didnt get my hold status till December 19th....nearly two months after my interview. Just hang in there, it will happen.

On another note, how many of you are IS-ers waiting to hear back?

I interviewed on October 20th and didnt get my hold status till December 19th....nearly two months after my interview. Just hang in there, it will happen.

On another note, how many of you are IS-ers waiting to hear back?

I interviewed Nov. 24th and have not heard back. Getting a little worried after not hearing anything Feb. 1.

Yea me too.....although I wasnt expecting to be the most competitive candidate. My cGPA isnt the best even though sGPA and MCAT are fine. I just hope my interview went as well as I thought it did.

Anyone know if this school is still extending IIs?

Reactions: 1 users
I would imagine so. They interview through March I'm pretty sure.
Do they interview through March? Their last release date is March 16th, so I would assume they stop interviews end of February.

Sorry, not trying to be a buzz-kill for anyone lol. I'm still sitting at the further status since September, so really would love for them to interview through March.

Do they interview through March? Their last release date is March 16th, so I would assume they stop interviews end of February.

Sorry, not trying to be a buzz-kill for anyone lol. I'm still sitting at the further status since September, so really would love for them to interview through March.
Interviews go through March - ending sometime before the 16th.

Wow further status since september?... I've had MAY status since the end of november and I thought I had it bad...

I've been hopeful for an II here ever since my MAY status, but i'm slowly starting to accept that it won't happen

Interviews go through March - ending sometime before the 16th.

Last day of interviews is roughly March 3rd. If you haven't received an II now it's highly unlikely that you will, but not impossible.

Hey guys,

I interviewed here on the 27th of January, and I have yet to receive an interview survey/update from the school. Has anyone experienced such a delay in them receiving the survey?

Thanks,

WL