2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish a mistake like that happened to me
I've been checking my portal after 3:30 routinely since September hoping to see something like that. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure date of interview has no bearing on where you are placed on the waitlist. Your position is determined by the score you are given post-interview during the committee meeting.

That's true. Although how early you interview is determined by how you were scored based on your file review. Higher scored applicants were offered interviews earlier from my understanding.

Does anyone know how I can get on the Facebook group for accepted students? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else been accepted off the wait-list without receiving a status update e-mail? My friend just randomly checked the portal today after it being down last Thursday and now it says she is accepted - seems legit but worried it may be a mistake?
Yes, apparently the system is backlogged but if the portal says you're accepted that is accurate.

Yes, apparently the system is backlogged but if the portal says you're accepted that is accurate.

So... What should other waitlisters take away from this considering that the 5/15 deadline has passed? Does that mean that there are more status changes to come? Or have all those been accepted off the waitlist received a status change, but the e-mail just hasn't been sent out (which would be quite disappointing assuming that there won't be much movement in the future...)?

So... What should other waitlisters take away from this considering that the 5/15 deadline has passed? Does that mean that there are more status changes to come? Or have all those been accepted off the waitlist received a status change, but the e-mail just hasn't been sent out (which would be quite disappointing assuming that there won't be much movement in the future...)?
At this point I think we can speculate all we want. But it's best to just enjoy your time and not stress about wait lists. If it meant to happen, it will.

At this point I think we can speculate all we want. But it's best to just enjoy your time and not stress about wait lists. If it meant to happen, it will.

True. I was pretty happy to have been accepted to a couple of D.O. schools and was mellowing out with my expectations of getting into VCU, but hearing about all this OOS movement on here/understanding the reality of having a chance on the waitlist has caused a sudden surge of anxiousness since this is my only shot at an M.D. school. haha

Accepted off the waitlist...Apparently I had been accepted about a week or so ago (I was told over the phone) but no status change occurred until yesterday..and no status change emails either! Either way, my happiness knows no limits right now!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off the waitlist...Apparently I had been accepted about a week or so ago (I was told over the phone) but no status change occurred until yesterday..and no status change emails either! Either way, my happiness knows no limits right now!

Congrats!! Did they call you or did you call up there to check your status?

I got in today! Best feeling of my life.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! IS or OOS?

IS. I actually didn't get an update email at all. I was studying for the MCAT all day yesterday (planned to reapply with a new score) and during my study break around 4pm I decided to just check the status and I had an acceptance message waiting. Yesterday was amazing, still hasn't really sunk in, feels surreal.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Third time re-applicant but I finally got in! Keep the faith and keep improving!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys! I am definitely going to VCU, but I haven't received my VCU ID yet?- aka I can't login to see the calendar. Can someone send the calendar of dates?? All I know is that orientation is July 27th lol. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Same deal. I haven't received my VCUeID yet, so if anyone could send me dates as well I'd really appreciate it! Looking forward to meeting you all!

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely get to see a fair amount of stuff if you are a phlebotomist. I just drew blood from a lady who is bleeding out. They pushed in 4 units of blood but she's still losing it fast. She's going to be taken to surgery again, and a nurse charged in grabbing 2 more units of blood. Something us pre-meds probably forget to think about are what we will have to face someday. As I am typing, a young woman is dying.
No

Accepted off the wait list about an hour ago! OOS. Was sent an email about my status change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Accepted off the waitlist today OOS, first acceptance!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
to all accepted student: where is everyone planning on living? trying to get an feel of the places students are living

I am curious to know if anybody with multiple acceptances got accepted off the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
I am curious to know if anybody with multiple acceptances got accepted off the waitlist?

Are you thinking they are mostly taking students with 0 acceptances at this point (instead of waitlisters with other acceptances)? Possibly to ensure less movement and better chance of commitment?

It happens, but usually before the decision date. At least from what I have heard from my classmates.

They changed the Multiple Acceptance date from May 15 to April 30th this year, hence the change in peak withdrawals. From the FB group, it looks like the waitlist is still moving

There is still hope!!! Was accepted off the waitlist a couple of days ago!!!

First acceptance. OOS.

Reactions: 7 users
any people looking into housing?

after looking at the fin-aid package, I'm really inclined to splitting a 2BD/2BA as opposed to going on my own (studio/1BD).

Sorry I don't remember. But, I submitted everything early August.

Oh I see, thanks! So do you mean that you submitted your primary AMCAS in August? Would you mind sharing when you took your MCAT? I'm already late in the cycle so prepping for a gap year, but I'm trying to decide if it is worth applying to just VCU with an August MCAT (I'm in-state) despite being complete in September…

Oh I see, thanks! So do you mean that you submitted your primary AMCAS in August? Would you mind sharing when you took your MCAT? I'm already late in the cycle so prepping for a gap year, but I'm trying to decide if it is worth applying to just VCU with an August MCAT (I'm in-state) despite being complete in September…

I did my MCAT in January, submitted my primary late June, got verified late July and submitted my secondary for VCU early August. If you are confident with your MCAT score, perhaps you can time your amcas primary submission so that you get verified around the time that your MCAT score comes out. Applying earlier definitely helps.

if anyone still checks this thread and knows about the timeline for scholarship offers that would be awesome. I was talking with the financial aid office and they said they would not be sending out packages until after the multiple acceptance deadline. is this how it worked for your class?