2014-2015 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Interviewed December 16th. Average stats but my extracurriculars were pretty unique and I think my interview went pretty well. So excited about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed December 16th. Average stats but my extracurriculars were pretty unique and I think my interview went pretty well. So excited about it.

congrats! but jeez they're only up to December dates still. I was hoping for an earlier decision :( guess not!

Reactions: 1 user
congrats! but jeez they're only up to December dates still. I was hoping for an earlier decision :( guess not!

Thank you! Yeah I think most people will know before March 15 so probably less than 3 weeks away for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
what specifically makes you think March 15? and yes I hope so!

Most of the admissions offices that I've talked to throughout this process have told me that their goal is accept their entire class by March 15, with the exception of students on the waitlist. I can't remember if GW does it the same way but I wouldn't be surprised if they do considering it sounds like they are finishing up interviews.

Interviews finish this week...I'd say you're probably correct.

Anyone that interviewed this month, any indication on when you'll hear back? Interviewing this Friday

I called the admissions office this morning and they said they would be extending interview invites through the end of March for what it's worth to us hopefuls!

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called the admissions office this morning and they said they would be extending interview invites through the end of March for what it's worth to us hopefuls!

Doing the dirty work for the rest of us! Thanks!

Just got alternate list email. in disbelief, 6 MD wait lists so far, no acceptances. this process sucks so bad.

Just got alternate list email. in disbelief, 6 MD wait lists so far, no acceptances. this process sucks so bad.

Mind sharing stats and when you interviewed? If not it's ok. I'm sorry man..I'm with you. It hurts.

Mind sharing when you interviewed?
I interviewed Jan 16th... I am also in the same position with 9 interviews.... 3 straight rejections and the rest wait lists... this process is death. I got an email from GW just now and I am too scared to look. If it is another wait list I am going to be destroyed ughh... at this point I feel like it is impossible to receive a flat out acceptance after an interview.
It seems like the people that get accepted after interview are emailed 10-12 weeks post interview... and those put on hold are told earlier. It has only been 6 weeks or so since my interview so not feeling too positive about this.

nevermind - I saw your previous comment that it was a few days before Jan 13th. I have no idea how GW makes their decisions it seems so random when people hear back ?!

It seems like the people that get accepted after interview are emailed 10-12 weeks post interview... and those put on hold are told earlier. It has only been 6 weeks or so since my interview so not feeling too positive about this.
I was accepted 5 weeks after my interview so that's not neccessarily accurate.

Mind sharing when you interviewed?
I interviewed Jan 16th... I am also in the same position with 9 interviews.... 3 straight rejections and the rest wait lists... this process is death. I got an email from GW just now and I am too scared to look. If it is another wait list I am going to be destroyed ughh... at this point I feel like it is impossible to receive a flat out acceptance after an interview.

what'll be will be, my friend. I know how bad it sucks, but at this point you just have to keep looking forward and hoping for the best. go check that email!

wait list..... obviously...
I am an idiot for checking it at work - now I am awkwardly crying at my desk yayyyyy
Catch catch a break either apparently

wait list..... obviously...
I am an idiot for checking it at work - now I am awkwardly crying at my desk yayyyyy
Catch catch a break either apparently
Hey, at least you got a bunch of interview invites.

You just have to be patient. Keep your chin up! :luck:

Interviewed in October and waitlisted last month. Any idea how many people they generally take from the waitlist in past years?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got wait listed. I'm keeping positive though. I really love this school and I hope there's some great wait list movement this year

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I like your attitude! Do you mind sharing when you interviewed]
So I'm being extra cautious (probably for no reason) but mid January. And thanks! I really loved the school when I interviewed and I'm thinking of it as a positive for now! Plus it relieves the stress a bit knowing a decision most likely won't be made until May. I can finally stay out of my email lol. Has anyone been rejected post interview yet? Is it common?

Last edited:
Just got the wait list notification. Interviewed mid-January. I felt the interviews went fairly well and I really liked the positive atmosphere at GW so I'm trying to stay positive. Hopefully we'll some movement on the wait list come May. Good luck to the rest of you waiting for a decision.

Accepted just now via email! No change in the online portal, but it says an admissions packet is being sent via snail mail.
Interviewed in early Jan.

Accepted just now via email! No change in the online portal, but it says an admissions packet is being sent via snail mail.
Interviewed in early Jan.
Awesome! Congratulations! I'm getting quite anxious myself. Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Awesome! Congratulations! I'm getting quite anxious myself. Do you mind sharing when you interviewed?

Thanks! Jan 6. Though I'm pretty sure I saw in this thread that someone who interviewed before me found out about their acceptance before I did, so maybe they don't go in order...?

Also does anyone know either:
1. When second look is?
2. If there is an accepted student FB? (I feel like I've seen it pop up on the side in "suggested groups" and now I can't find it.)

Thanks! Jan 6. Though I'm pretty sure I saw in this thread that someone who interviewed before me found out about their acceptance before I did, so maybe they don't go in order...?

Also does anyone know either:
1. When second look is?
2. If there is an accepted student FB? (I feel like I've seen it pop up on the side in "suggested groups" and now I can't find it.)
Second look is Tuesday April 7th. And I think when you click on one of those link about second look you should be able find the facebook on the left side. Congrats!!!

Second look is Tuesday April 7th. And I think when you click on one of those link about second look you should be able find the facebook on the left side. Congrats!!!

Thanks! I don't see anything with any links so I'm assuming that'll come in the letter that they're sending by mail.

Thanks! I don't see anything with any links so I'm assuming that'll come in the letter that they're sending by mail.

I got 4 emails around 3 days after I got my acceptance email with a ton of information including the student site and fb group. You should have them by the end of the week. Congrats to you!

Just wondering what other peoples stats were that got interviews. I got rejected pre interview with 33 MCAT (if the actually take your highest sections from separate sittings) and 3.62 GPA with research and other EC.

Just wondering what other peoples stats were that got interviews. I got rejected pre interview with 33 MCAT (if the actually take your highest sections from separate sittings) and 3.62 GPA with research and other EC.

This school really looks at the whole application. I saw someone with a LizzyM in the low 60s get an II here a couple months ago.

Yeah man, not to be a dick, but the school gets over 12,000 applications. Do you really think you're the only person with those numbers (and even better) to not get a II...I'm sure it hurts but you should realize how ridiculous this process is to begin with.

And for what it's worth, you have no way of knowing that GW looked at the super score of your MCAT (so in reality, theres a very good possibility the score they looked at was lower).

This school really looks at the whole application. I saw someone with a LizzyM in the low 60s get an II here a couple months ago.

I definitely agree with that, they look at the whole app, I think that was me with LizzyM of 61 and got an acceptance as well!!

I definitely agree with that, they look at the whole app, I think that was me with LizzyM of 61 and got an acceptance as well!!

Wow I was thinking this person had a 63/64. What exactly was your MCAT/GPA if you don't mind me asking? I'm also assuming you had some major EC?

Wow I was thinking this person had a 63/64. What exactly was your MCAT/GPA if you don't mind me asking? I'm also assuming you had some major EC?

29 MCAT (10ps, 10 vb, 9bs) and 3.25 cGPA. I've come to believe it's honestly more than stats (had 7 interviews and attended 5 with 2 acceptances and 1 waitlist). Still waiting to hear from other schools.

agreed - I had an 11ps, 8vb, 11bs (30) then retook and went up 1 pt in verbal and 1 down in bio (29 overall). My GPA is slightly higher -- 3.67 sGPA. 3.75cGPA... and I had 12 interviews.. flat our rejected from 2, accepted to 3 (low-tier schools), and wait listed at the rest (including GW). Want to support for those we have average stats like me! There is hope -- I seriously believe that med schools look at way more than just mcat these days. I was really upset 2 years ago with my mcat scores because I thought they were all that mattered and I was crushed. Worrying for nothing -- they actually care about the whole person more than a number. I do have a lot of clinical experience which is what helped me I think. As long as you can make up for the low scores with experience you are good.

However -- all of the top schools I have interviewed at I have been wait listed at. I think that my low stats hurt my interview skills because I did not feel like I belonged there when I was surrounded by 35+ mcat score students haha. The ones I got rejected at were reallllly low-tier schools.... so honestly I think this whole process is A LOT of luck. It makes no sense -- I'm sure like everyone else I would love to understand how they choose between so many solid applicants.

Anybody just get an email regarding the waitlist?

Anybody just get an email regarding the waitlist?
Yup. "We sincerely appreciate your continued interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. At this time, you are currently an active member of our alternate pool..."

Edit: Did they accidentally send us a link to the admissions office database for Dean and Staff? hahahaha. Please no one try to log in as the dean. Seriously, don't. :shifty:

For everyone wondering: This email is a request for contact info and updates in order to remain on the waitlist. I sent a comprehensive update/ statement of interest recently, but that focused mostly on me. I guess I should take this as an opportunity to emphasize what I like about GW?