2014-2015 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate position just now.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone get rejected after the interview?... Or are we all just put on alternate list? Just curious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone get rejected after the interview?... Or are we all just put on alternate list? Just curious.

On my interview day they said that they do reject post interview.

Reactions: 1 user
interviewed late february. received my acceptance this morning! Do you know if there is an upcoming second look day?

Does anyone know if fin aid packages will be distributed by decision day?

Hi everyone.

Question for current GW students. How is financial aid in M2-M4 years compared to M1? Is it pretty similar? I got my financial aid package and the institutional aid I got was very generous. A lot more than what I expected. Is it likely that I will get similar aid in other years?
Feel free to message me if it's easier to converse that way.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone.

Question for current GW students. How is financial aid in M2-M4 years compared to M1? Is it pretty similar? I got my financial aid package and the institutional aid I got was very generous. A lot more than what I expected. Is it likely that I will get similar aid in other years?

Thanks!
I would like to know this also, so if a current student can post it here, i would greatly appreciate it.

Hi everyone.

Thanks!
Question: did you get an email indicating that reviewing your financial aid was complete? or did you just received everything by mail?

Did anyone else get an email restating that they are on the alternate pool? I got the waitlist email march 31st, and again today saying I'm an active member and to provide additional contact info.

Did anyone else get an email restating that they are on the alternate pool? I got the waitlist email march 31st, and again today saying I'm an active member and to provide additional contact info.

Yes I got the same exact email after providing the additional info 2 days after the first (same) email. Weird even though it says "disregard" if you already got the email.

Yup! Got that too. It mentions that this is to confirm that you want to be on the alternate list and just update your file. I really appreciated this sentence:

"Although this does not end what we are sure is an unpleasant waiting period for you, your desire to become a physician, your understanding of the requirements, and your perseverance are commendable."

Looks like last year around this relative time (about three weeks from the old cut off date, 5/15) some wait list folks started getting "extreme merit" emails, followed by an acceptance e-mail a few days-weeks later. Anyone get one of these yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like last year around this relative time (about three weeks from the old cut off date, 5/15) some wait list folks started getting "extreme merit" emails, followed by an acceptance e-mail a few days-weeks later. Anyone get one of these yet?

I get the feeling these will be sent out in the next few weeks because today is the last day to show your interest if you're still on the waitlist.

Did anybody attend the Second look? anything new? I mean did they basically repeat what was said during the interviews?

In case anybody else is as neurotic and obnoxious like me, the George Washington MD Class of 2019 is currently has 187 members. I'm sure that's a normal number. But since it hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet (i think) I thought I'd bring it up so others can share in the anxiety.

On another note, is anybody else a little bit scared off due to the price tag of GW? How heavily do y'all think this should play into for people who will most likely be paying out of pocket?

In case anybody else is as neurotic and obnoxious like me, the George Washington MD Class of 2019 is currently has 187 members. I'm sure that's a normal number. But since it hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet (i think) I thought I'd bring it up so others can share in the anxiety.

On another note, is anybody else a little bit scared off due to the price tag of GW? How heavily do y'all think this should play into for people who will most likely be paying out of pocket?

what's their usual class size?

Well if you look at number 4 on the AAMC policy, https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...afficrulesforadmissionofficers-2015amcas.html it says that by now they have accepted at least equal to the amount of people they expect to have in the fall. So it really is going to depend on people turning down those acceptances now. Can't really infer anything into how much price is going to be factor. I think it will be a case by case basis depending on the person and so I am not sure if any blanket statements are going to mean anything.

For those anxious folk looking at the fb group, you should note that the group includes many current students who are there to provide info to new-incomers. So the actual number of newly-accepted students in the group is definitely lower than 186.

For those anxious folk looking at the fb group, you should note that the group includes many current students who are there to provide info to new-incomers. So the actual number of newly-accepted students in the group is definitely lower than 186.
Plus, wouldn't a decent amount of these students have multiple acceptances?

For those who are hopeful to receive an interview, I interviewed at GW last Thursday and there are certainly still spots available in the class.

Reactions: 4 users
Also, not all accepted students are on fb.. or is that just me? :p

For those who are hopeful to receive an interview, I interviewed at GW last Thursday and there are certainly still spots available in the class.

did you send an update letter or letter of interest right before you interview invite?

Updates don't show up in the portal, right? I sent my waitlist-interest update in right when they sent out the email about a month ago; I got an email confirming they received an update, but I dont see any record of the update on my portal. Is this normal?

Updates don't show up in the portal, right? I sent my waitlist-interest update in right when they sent out the email about a month ago; I got an email confirming they received an update, but I dont see any record of the update on my portal. Is this normal?

Yup, the email confirmation should be all you receive.

Probably not a lot of movement here on out.
In terms of what? Waitlist movement? I don't think they've touched the waitlist yet, assuming they actually plan on doing so.

Reactions: 5 users
In past years it looked like most people weren't being pulled from the waitlist until early may. @Stethonope unless you have insider info, I think its still too early to know that

In past years it looked like most people weren't being pulled from the waitlist until early may. @Stethonope unless you have insider info, I think its still too early to know that
last year the traffic deadline was May 15, this year its April 30th. If you compare dates prior, its not inconceivable for there to be movement soon. No one really knows when and how much for any school, but expect movement sooner this year than in past years.

Hey, does anyone know what these "extreme merit" emails are? Are they some sort of assurance that you'll be picked or just saying that you're high up on the wait list?

last year the traffic deadline was May 15, this year its April 30th. If you compare dates prior, its not inconceivable for there to be movement soon. No one really knows when and how much for any school, but expect movement sooner this year than in past years.

That's a good point. Darn, now I'm getting anxious. Anyone receive a merit email or get accepted off the waitlist yet?

Hey, does anyone know what these "extreme merit" emails are? Are they some sort of assurance that you'll be picked or just saying that you're high up on the wait list?
Did you get one?

No, but I keep reading about them and was wondering what exactly they were or signified. Any ideas?
From what I undertstand, around this time, the school sens out the email to their best waitlist applicants saying that their application has extreme merit and that they should fill-out financial aid forms. In years past, it was pretty much a guarantee that you'd get off, but last year, it looked like a few people received the email but didn't get off.

From what I undertstand, around this time, the school sens out the email to their best waitlist applicants saying that their application has extreme merit and that they should fill-out financial aid forms. In years past, it was pretty much a guarantee that you'd get off, but last year, it looked like a few people received the email but didn't get off.
Hmm, I see. So then it would seem like it doesn't even make a difference if you receive it or not. Well, good to know anyways, thanks. Really hope I get in here; looked like an amazing program!

Had a mini heart attack when I read this because I thought the emails had gone out and I hadn't gotten one :'( The waitlist should be renamed the killmenowlist.

Just withdrew from here. It's a great program but other schools gave me a lot more aid. I hope one of you gets my spot! Good Luck!

Reactions: 5 users
fun fact: last year, the 23rd is when they first started sending the extreme merit emails. have fun sleeping tonight

I sent an email a couple days ago asking GW to help me approach the financial price of another school or else I would have to withdraw. Loved the school and DC, but it was just too expensive.

This morning I got a nice email back saying that my application was withdrawn and they wanted to know why... oh well. One more spot for you waitlisters. I wish you the best of luck!

I sent an email a couple days ago asking GW to help me approach the financial price of another school or else I would have to withdraw. Loved the school and DC, but it was just too expensive.

This morning I got a nice email back saying that my application was withdrawn and they wanted to know why... oh well. One more spot for you waitlisters. I wish you the best of luck!
so im guessing they didint try and match the other schools price?