2014-2015 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 I don't know how I just survived that round of rejections. I have also been on hold most of this cycle. I sent a letter of interest a couple of weeks ago so maybe that delayed them from rejecting?

We're just holdin' on! I'd like to think that every wave of rejections we see go by just increases our shot at a late II!

EDIT: Hopefully they'll see that I haven't been accepted anywhere yet and think i'm an easy target to fill one of their seats :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey if anyone is interested in splitting a hotel room for second look PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
We're just holdin' on! I'd like to think that every wave of rejections we see go by just increases our shot at a late II!

EDIT: Hopefully they'll see that I haven't been accepted anywhere yet and think i'm an easy target to fill one of their seats :)
Can med schools see where you have been accepted ?

Can med schools see where you have been accepted ?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think sometime this month all schools will be able to see if you've been accepted somewhere. Schools that have accepted you already will be able to see what schools you've been accepted to as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think sometime this month all schools will be able to see if you've been accepted somewhere. Schools that have accepted you already will be able to see what schools you've been accepted to as well.
Schools may request a list of others schools you have been accepted to from AAMC at any time throughout the cycle. Therefore, schools you're in the running with are most likely aware of your current acceptances. I got this information directly from AAMC back in December.

If you are waiting for an II or acceptance to your top-choice school that is perhaps less "competitive" than a school to which you've already gained admission, it would be wise at this point to send a letter of interest. I would acknowledge that the school is a higher choice for you than any schools for which you have gained acceptance/interview if appropriate.

Reactions: 2 users
Schools may request a list of others schools you have been accepted to from AAMC at any time throughout the cycle. Therefore, schools you're in the running with are most likely aware of your current acceptances. I got this information directly from AAMC back in December.

If you are waiting for an II or acceptance to your top-choice school that is perhaps less "competitive" than a school to which you've already gained admission, it would be wise at this point to send a letter of interest. I would acknowledge that the school is a higher choice for you than any schools for which you have gained acceptance/interview if appropriate.

I'm pretty sure the only schools with access to your acceptances are other schools that have already accepted you. Then, in March, schools can see where their waitlisted students were accepted. Therefore, your current acceptances won't affect your ability to get an II at another school. An adcom on SDN posted this not too long ago.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm pretty sure the only schools with access to your acceptances are other schools that have already accepted you. Then, in March, schools can see where their waitlisted students were accepted. Therefore, your current acceptances won't affect your ability to get an II at another school. An adcom on SDN posted this not too long ago.
That's weird, maybe the person from AAMC was just misinformed.

That's right but if they haven't accepted your have youon waitlist, they can't see what schools accepted you

I got an II just now!!!!! I have been on hold since the very beginning of August and I am so excited right now!!!!! :soexcited:

Edit: I am scheduled for 2/20

Reactions: 6 users
I got an II just now!!!!! I have been on hold since the very beginning of August and I am so excited right now!!!!! :soexcited:

Edit: I am scheduled for 2/20
Congrats!!! Did you send any updates in recently, or did they just surprise you out of the blue?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's right but if they haven't accepted your have youon waitlist, they can't see what schools accepted you
Wait, are you saying that if you're on the waitlist at schools, they can't see what other schools you've been accepted to? Are sure you sure about this?

Wait, are you saying that if you're on the waitlist at schools, they can't see what other schools you've been accepted to? Are sure you sure about this?

Yeah that's what I'm saying.

From AMCAS website:

"For example, let's say you applied to schools A, B, X, and Y. You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school. You were rejected by school X, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. No action has been taken by school Y, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. If school Y accepts you a week later, school Y will then see that you are holding offers from A and B, and A and B will know that you now have an offer from Y as well."

Edit: also on the amcas website: "In April of the application year, medical schools will have access to the National Acceptance Report, which lists every applicant with an acceptance or matriculated action."

Congrats!!! Did you send any updates in recently, or did they just surprise you out of the blue?

I had been sending updates before, but I hadn't sent anything since November. I sent them a letter of interest just on Tuesday and I was kind not expecting much out of it. I tried to defend my "average" stats and said that I still felt I was prepared to handle the rigor of medical school. I also talked a lot about why I was interested in GW in particular. I don't know if that was what did it, but I would say keep sending them stuff to show your genuine interest and it may just draw attention to your application. Good luck!

Last edited:
Was complete really early in the cycle and then placed on hold. Hoping for some GW LOVE!

I had been sending updates before, but I hadn't sent anything since November. I sent them a letter of interest just on Tuesday and I was kind not expecting much out of it. I tried to defend my "average" stats and said that I still felt I was prepared to handle the rigor of medical school. I also talked a lot about why I was interested in GW in particular. I don't know if that was what did it, but I would say keep sending them stuff to show your genuine interest and it may just draw attention to your application. Good luck!

In your updates did you have something new to add each time? Or did you reiterate what you said in your last update? I've been on hold since maybe september? and wouldn't mind sending a letter of interest/another update, but I don't really have much more to add

For those accepted and looking for housing in DC, I am looking for someone who wants to share my house in the DC area starting this summer. I have been accepted at medical school outside of DC, so I will be gone most of the time, except long weekends and holidays, so you will have an entire house (3BR+backyard) to yourself for $1500/month. Six stops from Foggy bottom on the metro, or 10 minutes drive to GW. If you are interested, please let me know. Also please let me know if there is GW accepted students face book page. Thank you!

In your updates did you have something new to add each time? Or did you reiterate what you said in your last update? I've been on hold since maybe september? and wouldn't mind sending a letter of interest/another update, but I don't really have much more to add

I am taking a gap year and working full time, but I work on a lot of random little personal projects too. I did always have something new to add in my update letters, but I stopped sending them because like you I felt that I didn't have anything to add without getting to specific and I would want to have the opportunity to do that in person. The one I sent on Tuesday was not really an update letter, but just more of why I thought I was a good candidate and just emphasizing that I was still interested and would still really like an interview. There is not really a limit to how much you can send/how you send it/what you decide to share with them, so I would say be persistent! My attitude was kind of like I figured this late in the cycle I didn't care if I was risking being annoying and it actually worked out in my favor. Best of luck!

To those that were accepted, what did that acceptance email look like? Getting real sad and desperate over here.

Does anyone know when second look is this year? Assuming all first round acceptances will be sent before then.

II Today! I was complete mid-August! No acceptances anywhere thus far!

What dates were still available? I'm wondering if they are pretty much done giving out invites at this point.

Actually within the email they tell you "Your interview is scheduled for this date....If you can't attend this date please reply via email with two possible dates that would work for you" etc...

So really know way of knowing...but I would assume not! I think most schools offer...albeit less and less...until March!

II today, first one. Beyond excited!!

Reactions: 4 users
are there any first year students in this forum...I was recently accepted to GW and I have a few questions about curriculu, schedule, etc?
thanks

To those that were accepted, what did that acceptance email look like? Getting real sad and desperate over here.
its from the gw med admissions email and the subject line of the email is Congratulations

For anyone accepted, how did the admissions office tell you that they received the signed forms to reserve your seat?

Has anyone been put on the "interview waitlist" that hasn't gotten an II yet?

Oops wrong thread! All my "holds" are all starting to blend together! haha

Feels like I'm the only person complete mid-August that is still on hold.

6 weeks post interview here, and I know I've got a ways more to go. terrible wait haha

Any idea on how they go through applications? I hope there is a method to the madness...
I don't, I'm sorry. I would recommend perusing the admissions website and seeing if they have a document that outlines the review process...I know at another school I interviewed at they have a whole 20 page online document that outlines their entire process. Good luck!

I think I was just accepted! It says my status has been sent via postal mail, but I got 2 emails from admissions about the student site and second look.

So excited. It was one of my top choices! Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Before I forget, I interviewed Dec 10th.

I think I was just accepted! It says my status has been sent via postal mail, but I got 2 emails from admissions about the student site and second look.

So excited. It was one of my top choices! Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Before I forget, I interviewed Dec 10th.
Congrats !! Wait what says your status is being sent through the mail? The portal or did you get an email?

Congrats !! Wait what says your status is being sent through the mail? The portal or did you get an email?

After I got those emails, I checked the portal which had the status update. They can't reveal anything over the phone, so soon after I received the email about the acceptance.

After I got those emails, I checked the portal which had the status update. They can't reveal anything over the phone, so soon after I received the email about the acceptance.
Thanks for the info. Congrats again!!

Does anyone know if this school is like VCU in that your interviewers are supposed to advocate for your admission to the committee??

Also...jeesh...did everyone else have almost all girls in their interview group? Interviewed earlier this week and ratio was way off! haha

For those of you who haven't heard anything yet, at my interview day this past week they told us that they had only two interview days left in this last week in February and nothing would be scheduled for March. So it seems they are wrapping up with interview season.

Reactions: 2 users