2014-2015 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those on the waitlist, I called and they said that movement has been very slow and if it continues like it has been it is possible that there may not be any more movement. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

To those on the waitlist, I called and they said that movement has been very slow and if it continues like it has been it is possible that there may not be any more movement. :shrug:

Well that is depressing.

Edit: I wish that email about the alternate list hadn't sounded so optimistic about there being a good chance of a lot of movement.

Reactions: 1 users
Sad news. Thank you for calling, though. Did they say if they're still waiting on any responses from people they've recently given a spot to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sad news. Thank you for calling, though. Did they say if they're still waiting on any responses from people they've recently given a spot to?

No, they didn't mention anything else. At least I got some closure to focus on moving forward. Good luck to you all!

It is discouraging, but I'm not quite ready to give up hope. Still a while away from orientation; you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Could it be possible that tons of people applied this cycle (more than usual) because of the MCAT change? My guess is so many applicants took the MCAT before the change, obtained a good score on top of being competitive applicants, and because of this, this year's waitlists are not moving? If so, this may not mean we aren't competitive applicants but that this year there were many more students applying =( Let's hope we hear from GW soon, I'm so surprised there seems to be no movement at least not from sdn threads.

They are currently over filled, actually.

I was worried about that happening based on threads from the previous year :(. Looks like it's time to add GW to my AMCAS 2016. Did you get that info from the admissions office?

Reactions: 1 user
I was worried about that happening based on threads from the previous year :(. Looks like it's time to add GW to my AMCAS 2016. Did you get that info from the admissions office?
So I called the office yesterday to ask the same thing because I'm trying to weigh my alternatives for next year. I directly asked the gentleman who answered if the class was full or overenrolled, and what he said is that "the class is always full" and that they can't anticipate if/when people who we're holding acceptances may give them up. We may or may not have spoken with the same guy, and he may have just been someone who has nothing to do with the committee and doesn't know the specifics of whether some offers are still outstanding. It's pretty depressing news either way, I think.

So I called the office yesterday to ask the same thing because I'm trying to weigh my alternatives for next year. I directly asked the gentleman who answered if the class was full or overenrolled, and what he said is that "the class is always full" and that they can't anticipate if/when people who we're holding acceptances may give them up. We may or may not have spoken with the same guy, and he may have just been someone who has nothing to do with the committee and doesn't know the specifics of whether some offers are still outstanding. It's pretty depressing news either way, I think.
I spoke to a woman, so who knows what the real truth is, but I do think that the gist is that nobody should really expect much more wait list movement, unfortunately.

Forever an optimist. There were posts about GW admission members telling people that interviews were over in mid-March. I was invited and interviewed in April. So I trust what the office tells people very little....

Members don't see this ad :)
How did those of you who are reapplicants make out this year?

I just called. The person with whom I spoke said that there has been wait list movement "recently," that "the class is always full," and that they cannot anticipate any future wait list movement. I take that last bit to mean that they cannot predict if any more spots are going to open up.

I've heard that some schools will remove candidates from their wait
Lists as the cycle progresses, does anyone know if GW does this? I assume they just keep the whole list of interested alternates, but I just thought I'd check. Here's to another application cycle...

Got an email from here basically saying their cycle is over and it's highly unlikely any more alternate movement will occur. One less to worry about...

Got that same email today. Bummer

"We sincerely appreciate your continued interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. You currently remain active and under consideration. However, it is highly unlikely that there will be any additional movement from the alternate pool.

As we are transitioning some of our systems to prepare for the 2016 cycle, please note that the status check website will no longer be accessible for 2015 cycle applicants on June 23, 2015.

It is essential that you keep us updated with your most current contact information. If your status should change, we will call your preferred contact number. If you are unavailable for any period of time, please let us know via email and provide us with an alternative contact who would be able to make decisions on your behalf.

Also, please be reminded that you are welcome to update your file at any time to keep us aware of your current activities and your specific interest in our program by emailing [email protected].

We are unable to provide individual counseling or advice to you regarding your competitiveness and encourage you to speak with a pre-medical advisor or other trusted advisor regarding your very specific and personal concerns. They may be able to offer you some perspective relative to other applicants.

Since the 2016 cycle has started, if you are considering reapplying, we recommend that you move forward with the process. Please know that submitting a new application while in the alternate pool will have absolutely no impact on the decision for this current year.

We absolutely appreciate your interest in our program and your patience throughout this process."

Here's to hoping being a reapplicant looks good for this school next cycle

Interesting, I got the same exact e-mail w/o the following lines:

We are unable to provide individual counseling or advice to you regarding your competitiveness and encourage you to speak with a pre-medical advisor or other trusted advisor regarding your very specific and personal concerns. They may be able to offer you some perspective relative to other applicants.

Since the 2016 cycle has started, if you are considering reapplying, we recommend that you move forward with the process. Please know that submitting a new application while in the alternate pool will have absolutely no impact on the decision for this current year."

What do you guys think about the health ins offered by GW? is it at a reasonable price?

did anyone who answered in the affirmative to the "arrests" question receive a II?

Would appreciate some feedback through PM. thanks.

Wait list movement is officially over here. Just got the email that says they are closing the wait list for this cycle as there will be no further movement. Good luck to everyone who will be matriculating this fall at this amazing school!

I know I'm having a hard time believing this, but how can they close the wait list when there are still at least 2 weeks left before orientation? Do we think they've contacted people that are really close to getting admitted in case there are any withdrawals? :(

I know I'm having a hard time believing this, but how can they close the wait list when there are still at least 2 weeks left before orientation? Do we think they've contacted people that are really close to getting admitted in case there are any withdrawals? :(

Maybe all the current matriculating students either gave up all their other wait list positions or turned down the other schools they were accepted at? It seems to me that they probably have a good reason to be sure that there will not be any movement. I

t does suck since that first email was so hopeful. But hey if you made it to the WL this year, you will have a great chance this next year!!! I wish you the best of luck and remember that the end of an application cycle is not the end of the road to becoming a doctor!!

This probably was asked earlier, and I'm submitting my secondary relatively late - but, for question 7 - your most meaningful community service experience to date - I mentioned in my primary application a volunteer position at a hospital and also had it labeled as a "most meaningful experience..."

is this too repetitive??

This probably was asked earlier, and I'm submitting my secondary relatively late - but, for question 7 - your most meaningful community service experience to date - I mentioned in my primary application a volunteer position at a hospital and also had it labeled as a "most meaningful experience..."

is this too repetitive??
no its probably fine. they only give you like 250 characters anyways which is barely anything to write with