2014-2015 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May this week be filled with waitlist acceptances for us all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone know how many people are in the FB group?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol why haven't I received a pre II rejection yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone on the WL gotten a "high merit, soon to be accepted" type e-mail yet?

Reactions: 2 users
Does everyone else feel as antsy as I do? I live pretty close to the GWU campus and it's taking all of my impulse control to not go to the admissions office and ask what the wait list movement might be in person.

I was accepted off the waitlist today! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Omg that is so exciting congrats!!! Did you get any prior emails from them or was today just a surprise?

I got an e-mail from the assistant dean asking if i'm still interested, then got the acceptance e-mail later that day

Reactions: 4 users
I got an e-mail from the assistant dean asking if i'm still interested, then got the acceptance e-mail later that day
Whelp, now I am officially freaking out.

Reactions: 6 users
I was accepted off the waitlist today! Good luck everyone!

Congrats! Can you tell us when you interviewed/when you were waitlisted? What did the email you got say?

Last edited:
I got an email this morning! I have been accepted off the waitlist! Tears and beers all the way round

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you get an email prior to your acceptance email?
I did. I got an email from the admissions committee saying that my file had been reviewed and that they think that I would be a fit for the program and asked if I was still interested. I replied and then they sent the official acceptance email.

I did. I got an email from the admissions committee saying that my file had been reviewed and that they think that I would be a fit for the program and asked if I was still interested. I replied and then they sent the official acceptance email.
Did you guys who were just accepted also get the request to update your interest about a month ago? Or was the email send this morning asking if you were still interested the only one?

omgosh.... wait list removal already? I would give anything to get off the wait list! I have sent literally 4 or 5 interest letters. I lost count at this point.

Does GW give merit based scholarships or are they all need based?
As far as I understand, students receive some aid (grants + scholarship but its not specified whether its need or merit based) that was my case at least

I was accepted this morning off the WL by e-mail from Dean McQuail!!!!! First acceptance for me. Dying a little of happiness/relief.

I interviewed in October, WL in January. Sent an interest letter after the request email. No further contact from them (apart from confirmation of receiving interest) until the acceptance today.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Congratulations to all those who made it off the waitlist! Here's hoping I get some love from GW too :)

Reactions: 7 users
For people getting off of the waitlist, is this your first acceptance? I have an acceptance to one other MD school but I reallyyyyyy want to get off of the waitlist at GW because this school has always been my first choice. But I also don't want to be greedy haha

Anyone know if GW has good waitlist movement? According to last year's thread it doesn't seem like they have much movement. Fingers crossed theres good movement next week!

Me too!! But I was also looking at last past few years threads and most people were accepted from the wait list before the May 15th deadline (now Apr 30th)... so I am afraid most of the wait list movement probably already happened

Anyone know if GW has good waitlist movement? According to last year's thread it doesn't seem like they have much movement. Fingers crossed theres good movement next week!

Me too!! But I was also looking at last past few years threads and most people were accepted from the wait list before the May 15th deadline (now Apr 30th)... so I am afraid most of the wait list movement probably already happened

Gah I know I looked at last year's thread too and got worried. Also there were people posting on there saying that last year they over enrolled and had an issue and someone even said they had to ask accepted people to volunteer to defer a year. I am highly suspicious of a lot of that stuff, but I kind of wish I still hadn't read it because the fear-mongering gets inside my head and makes me nervous. :uhno::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Yeah I noticed that too :(. I'm just trying to be cautiously optimistic at this point.. I guess. I hope there's some sort of trickle down effect on the waitlist and more spots open up. Until then, more waiting...

I know... I'm just so sick of these schools wait listing everyyyybody they do not accept. I heard that the more students a school wait lists the higher their rank is or something? I heard this from a doctor the other day at northwestern and that's why schools wait list everyone they do not accept. But then, for us, wait list basically means nothing now unless you are super, super lucky.

Are acceptances off the waitlist only given in the morning?

Are acceptances off the waitlist only given in the morning?

I think so. That's been the trend at least. In the past, the waitlist acceptances have been by phone call, but this year it seems they are by e-mail.

To all those who got an email asking if you were still interested in the program, was there a time limit on your response for that email? I'm just getting anxious that if I don't see it immediately they might move on to another candidate.

To all those who got an email asking if you were still interested in the program, was there a time limit on your response for that email? I'm just getting anxious that if I don't see it immediately they might move on to another candidate.
I really can't imagine they would move on from you that quickly unless you don't check your e-mail at least once every couple days...

I think I read on the AAMC website somewhere that after April 30th, schools have to give you a minimum of 5 business days to respond to an offer of acceptance once it has been communicated. However, I don't think that applies to the "are you still interested?" Email. So who knows! Did anyone who got in off the wait list have a time limit to respond?

Just saw that the facebook group went up by about 10 people. So the waitlist is moving quite a bit. Not looking too good for those of us still waiting...

Just saw that the facebook group went up by about 10 people. So the waitlist is moving quite a bit. Not looking too good for those of us still waiting...

Okay let's not try to jump to conclusions. Those ten could have been accepted a while ago and just now joined. Or they could be current students. Ya never know! Anyways yeah this waiting game sucks and it is frustrating especially knowing that this school has a larger applicant pool to deal with than most. Just be glad we got this far and have hope! That's all we can do for now. :)

Last edited:
Never thought I would say this... But withdrew my acceptance. Literally hardest decision I ever had to make. An amazing school and city but $0 debt beats $300k debt anyday

Reactions: 1 users
Never thought I would say this... But withdrew my acceptance. Literally hardest decision I ever had to make. An amazing school and city but $0 debt beats $300k debt anyday

I'm sorry if this seems insensitive, but did you withdraw today or last week? I was curious about whether the 4/30 deadline could be flexible for people assessing different financial options.

Good luck to you at your other school choice!

I'm sorry if this seems insensitive, but did you withdraw today or last week? I was curious about whether the 4/30 deadline could be flexible for people assessing different financial options.

Good luck to you at your other school choice!
it's fine. Valid question. It was after the 4/30 deadline but I was called by the admin office after the deadline and asked if I had made a decision and I explained that I was weighing financial options. They asked if I knew when I would finalize a decision, I gave them an estimated time and they agreed to it. So yes, they are flexible

And thank you!!

Does anyone know where the class size sits at this point and how often per week GW is pulling people off the waitlist? I assume these are tough questions to answer :(.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know where the class size sits at this point and how often per week GW is pulling people off the waitlist? I assume these are tough questions to answer :(.

I honestly don't think anybody knows for sure except for the committee. People mostly go off of the Facebook class size but even that isn't the most reliable source. As far as how often people are pulled from the wait list there's no way of knowing for anyone, even the committee. You're not alone, this is possibly the worst part of the process. Hang in there and stay productive.

Also is the class cap at 178 like last year?

Has anyone else been stuck at pre-II hold for perpetuity? Called two weeks ago and they said they were still interviewing... any recent II's?

Has anyone else been stuck at pre-II hold for perpetuity? Called two weeks ago and they said they were still interviewing... any recent II's?
well i just got the axe today finally after perpetual pre-II hold

As an alternate...this is terrifying. Although I wonder if they just say that regardless of their actual plans. Hard to believe they'd STILL interview in late may.

As an alternate...this is terrifying. Although I wonder if they just say that regardless of their actual plans. Hard to believe they'd STILL interview in late may.

Well two weeks ago via that post was end of April. But yeah it is kind of hard to hear. I am not sure when they officially ended interviews. At the end of Feb they told us that was the last day, but then people on here were getting II's well into March.

I really just hope to see some waitlist movement at this school so I can stop feeling like the alternate list has a million people in it.

Does anyone know if they're still reviewing applications from the alternate list?

Well two weeks ago via that post was end of April. But yeah it is kind of hard to hear. I am not sure when they officially ended interviews. At the end of Feb they told us that was the last day, but then people on here were getting II's well into March.

I really just hope to see some waitlist movement at this school so I can stop feeling like the alternate list has a million people in it.

Does anyone know if they're still reviewing applications from the alternate list?
I don't think there's any way to know without asking them. It doesn't seem like there have been any offers given lately, though. I would think that once the first few waves of people have had a week or two to accept or decline, they may not move much farther down the list. That's very speculative, but it's hard to know how many alternates they would give offers to and how many of them would actually decline the offer.

If anyone does call the office and gets and answer, I'm sure we'd all appreciate hearing it though

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received a "extreme merit" email yet? Seems a little odd that those never came through this year... but it could be that they did get received but never mentioned on the forum.