2014-2015 Dartmouth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else fill out the needaccess application for financial aid? Seems they need to know the color and consistently of your last 5 bowel movements.
Yup, months ago, I had to schedule a meeting my mother and all of her records lol, but it was pretty painless when we sat down and focused with what we needed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not one of the students on the admissions committee but honestly, there are students in each class that got accepted in early/mid July. Movement still happens and at this point, what they really care about is whether or not you will actually attend if you're accepted. The last thing they want is to accept someone off the waitlist only to have that person withdraw later, leaving the adcoms to scramble to find someone else.

Will a letter of intent seal the deal? Not if they don't like your app already BUT if they do like your app about the same as someone else's app that they are considering and you send a LOI, they will almost definitely take you over that person.

Good luck everyone - hang in there a little bit longer and try to enjoy your summer!!
Thanks for the thoughtful insight! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know the current situation with admissions?
I'm with @Coolchurro, seriously folks what's the sitch w admissions. From my POV, it seems as though they've been causing confusion and disturbing the peace! LOL. Boy oh boy, this has been one hell of a year. I've done a lot of growing up for real. It's so difficult to sit tight while being seemingly close to what you want.

I was accepted, but I just withdrew my application! Hopefully the waitlist shifted a bit for you guys. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! When were you accepted, and were you waitlisted first?
I just want to point out that there is some speculation that this person is a troll. See their other posts... Sorry.

I'm assuming nobody has received emails asking if we're still interested, right?

They really should let us know where we stand after this week.

That's mid-June, and I can see no reason why they haven't decided on who to decline and who to wait-list.

Everyone should know that they have been waitlisted since May 1-- so it's not about that. We're all waiting for movement now! Aren't you waitlisted too?

Everyone should know that they have been waitlisted since May 1-- so it's not about that. We're all waiting for movement now! Aren't you waitlisted too?

Oh yea, my mistake.

I keep forgetting that Dartmouth *actually* officially wait-listed. Many of the other schools I still haven't heard from haven't given me any official status yet.

Has Dartmouth sent out many post-II rejections at this point, or just a few?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I know it's an "unranked" wait-list, but I'm sure there has to be some priority or ranking when spots open up, right?

of course, but they don't reveal it. there's nothing to do but wait unfortunately

any recent rejections?

I called today and Joan mentioned something about having narrowed down the wait-list and sending rejections to some of the people on it.

How long did it take for incoming students to receive their login credentials? I was accepted earlier this month and I haven't received anything yet.

I just checked the emails and I was accepted on may 6, and got the login may 13. So about a week. Seems like it should be coming your way soon!

How long did it take for incoming students to receive their login credentials? I was accepted earlier this month and I haven't received anything yet.

Random question for the group but does anyone know the rationale on why the financial aid package only totals to tuition and not full cost of attendance?

Random question for the group but does anyone know the rationale on why the financial aid package only totals to tuition and not full cost of attendance?

One of the reasons right now at least from what I was told is because financial aid might be still looking for more scholarship money for you. Also they didn't want to put on loans right now because they don't want interest to start accruing on that money you do not need right now. At the end of the day you will be fine!!

One of the reasons right now at least from what I was told is because financial aid might be still looking for more scholarship money for you. Also they didn't want to put on loans right now because they don't want interest to start accruing on that money you do not need right now. At the end of the day you will be fine!!
That's pretty sweet. I knew I wasn't the only one wondering this. Thanks!

Ahh, thank God! I thought it was just me! Except, I did get budgeted for past the tuition. I think I was budgeted $5K less than the cost of attendance and I just thought that meant they expect me to pick up that tab. lol To which I was like...uhhhh, don't have it! lol

Ahh, thank God! I thought it was just me! Except, I did get budgeted for past the tuition. I think I was budgeted $5K less than the cost of attendance and I just thought that meant they expect me to pick up that tab. lol To which I was like...uhhhh, don't have it! lol
You're expected to earn $5000 in the summer before class starts and use that for cost of attendance.

Congrats on your acceptance! So things are moving then? Good to know!

I was wondering if it was including the EFC too in order to get to cost of attendance. I'll guessing it is but it went unstated. Oh well I'm just glad to have something!

Congrats on the acceptance :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Can any 2nd years comment on how happy geisel students are in general? How is the support system within the student body and with the faculty?

Hi! Can any 2nd years comment on how happy geisel students are in general? How is the support system within the student body and with the faculty?

Aren't you already matriculating this fall?

I interviewed this past year and met with Shawn in the Diversity office who had quite a bit to say on the topic about student support, especially in light of a student's suicide a little over a year ago I believe. They definitely care about the students, but I'm not sure what kind of qualitative measure would work? Many of the students I met said that because it's such a small town, you need to enjoy the outdoors for stress relief--and in fact that is mostly what they do: outdoor sports and bars! Apparently the faculty is great with the students though as well-- supportive and again, because it is a small school, more of a family feel.

But I'm not a student :p

If you are indeed matriculating at Geisel, why aren't you putting this up on the facebook group?

Any updates here?

Narrowing down the wait-list again soon?

Any recent withdrawals?

You have any insider info for us @Pdoc387 ?

Any updates here?

Narrowing down the wait-list again soon?

Any recent withdrawals?

You have any insider info for us @Pdoc387 ?

Lol...I'm pretty low on the list of the "informed" so unfortunately, chances are I won't have any new information. But should I hear something, I'll happily message you.

As for the other comment: I only suggested he/she ask it on the fbook group b/c he'd receive quicker and probably a more diverse range of answers. Just trying to be helpful...

Secondary just arrived. This is probably my top choice among schools that aren't enormous reaches for me.

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2014-15 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Was there any word/character limit?

For the reference of people applying next cycle, the class size will apparently be 92 and some people were cut from the waitlist today.

Last edited:
For the reference of people applying next cycle, everyone who remained on the waitlist for the 2014-2015 cycle was released today, 7/21.
The class size will apparently be 92.
I'm not sure I read that correctly...What do you mean by "everyone who remained on the waitlist for the 2014-2015 cycle was released today"?

I'm not sure I read that correctly...What do you mean by "everyone who remained on the waitlist for the 2014-2015 cycle was released today"?
Some people who were put on the waitlist in May and were not subsequently accepted from the waitlist were rejected yesterday.

Last edited:
All the people who were put on the waitlist in May and were not subsequently accepted from the waitlist were rejected yesterday.
Were the waitlistees contacted about this?

Maybe they haven't completely closed it.
"Unfortunately, our class is full as of this writing, and it is the conclusion of the Admissions Committee that there is little chance for your admission from the Waiting List."
Upon a few more readings, that could be just directed toward just me. Sorry for the possibly unwarranted drama.
The email does not specifically state that the class is closed, only that there are 92 people (the target class size I was told at my interview was 85; last year's class is 89, if I remember correctly).
That paired with the fact that it's rather late in the cycle, probably resulted in me generalizing too much.
Full disclosure, last month, I got into my second choice school which is 2 miles away from where I live. After that I stopped contacting Geisel because I felt like I needed to start preparing for my almost certain future rather than continue to fixate on my dream school when there seemed to be almost no chance for me to be accepted.
It's quite possible I was released from the waitlist due to Geisel perceiving lack of interest from me due to no contact for over a month.
Again, sorry if I overgeneralized and upset/worried anyone.

Maybe they haven't completely closed it.
"Unfortunately, our class is full as of this writing, and it is the conclusion of the Admissions Committee that there is little chance for your admission from the Waiting List."
Upon a few more readings, that could be just directed toward just me. Sorry for the possibly unwarranted drama.
The email does not specifically state that the class is closed, only that there are 92 people (the target class size I was told at my interview was 85; last year's class is 89, if I remember correctly).
That paired with the fact that it's rather late in the cycle, probably resulted in me generalizing too much.
Full disclosure, last month, I got into my second choice school which is 2 miles away from where I live. After that I stopped contacting Geisel because I felt like I needed to start preparing for my almost certain future rather than continue to fixate on my dream school when there seemed to be almost no chance for me to be accepted.
It's quite possible I was released from the waitlist due to Geisel perceiving lack of interest from me due to no contact for over a month.
Again, sorry if I overgeneralized and upset/worried anyone.

Nope, it wasn't just you that got the e-mail. I got it, too, and I've been expressing interest :)

So maybe the whole waitlist didn't get it, but the e-mail was sent out to more than one person, at least.

Nope, it wasn't just you that got the e-mail. I got it, too, and I've been expressing interest :)

So maybe the whole waitlist didn't get it, but the e-mail was sent out to more than one person, at least.

I don't think I got it..... :/ for whatever that's worth