2014-2015 Dartmouth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah i don't think it's worth worrying about

Alas, you're right! Sorry, I just wanted to express my concern at the possibility of incorrect information.

Members don't see this ad.

People on this thread are beginning to lose their minds. Haha. Waitilster checkin it.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I've been on sdn for a long time and just wanted to help out and offer true info since people are worried. Like the site has helped me! I got a call and then the letter the next day. And it seems like they don't wanna bother drawing up the paper work just for someone to say no. so they call first. You can choose not to belive it. I was just trying to help.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from wait list. Best of luck to all!

Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my acceptance (very sadly). I hope my spot goes to one of you deserving, diligent and incredibly PATIENT SDNers!
Ooo, me please, and thanks! Congrats on your hard decision looking forward to the future! Best of luck Vesalius :)

To both of the above users, thank you so much for updating us. Like chachi19, I wish you all the best! Hopefully, you withdrew, because you got a kick butt offer from some other medical school with a scholarship :D!

Assuming there will be a similar number of total acceptances this year, the participation (posting) rate of people accepted by Geisel on SDN is about 10%.
There have been 26 acceptances reported on the thread and there were 266 total acceptances last year.

ETA: There were 6 acceptances from the waitlist reported on last year's Geisel thread. I assume that means acceptances from the waitlist are much more likely to be reported on the school thread instead of there being more than 60 acceptances from the waitlist (I wish the latter were true, but alas, 'tis nigh impossible).
Based on this we could expect to hear from only one person initially.
Last year, there were three posts that appeared to be from an initial acceptance burst, then three more in the following six weeks.

The phone call question has already been resolved. Anyone that is accepted from the waitlist will be called first.

Do you mind sharing where you got the 266 acceptances last year? I've actually been trying to search for this information via the AAMC however, 2010 was the last report file I found!

Do you mind sharing where you got the 266 acceptances last year? I've actually been trying to search for this information via the AAMC however, 2010 was the last report file I found!
It was posted earlier in this thread. The poster said it was from US News and World Report

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance (very sadly). I hope my spot goes to one of you deserving, diligent and incredibly PATIENT SDNers!
Thank you! I hope you love wherever you will be going.
If it's as much as I would love being in Hanover you'll be very happy indeed :p

I've been channeling my anxiety super well this cycle...I look like effin Rocky now. What are you folks doing to keep a straight mind while waiting?

Last edited:
I've been channeling my anxiety super well this cycle...I look like effin Rocky now. What are you folks doing to keep a straight mind while waiting?
```````````````````````````````````````dsszdsfcx z``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````111``````
^ playing with/wrangling my baby
Running and losing 20 pounds since my interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Working....research...writing

Nothing exciting, unfortunately.

+1

I wish I had been on that workout train...
Me too! I tried to keep a regular schedule, but then finals came, and multiple people quit at work with short notice, so extra shifts to be covered! Lol, there's always tomorrow...

Does anyone know if there is a specific day when they tend to call people? Any sort of order to the madness that is med school applications?

Just to let people know - they do indeed call people to accept them off of the waitlist. Also, based on the new additions of people to the 2019 FB group, it seems there has been some movement but how much, it's impossible to say. Just know that they accepted people off of the waitlist through early/mid July last year so try not to lose hope! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!!
There have been a lot of people making housing posts. It seems possible that many of these new members are there to post.
Hopefully a lot of the new members are just there to offer their apartments!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a specific day when they tend to call people? Any sort of order to the madness that is med school applications?
The one person who has told us she was accepted was notified on Wednesday.
When I called admissions earlier this month, there was a reference to meetings on Tuesday and Thursday, but I didn't ask about it specifically.

That's very little evidence with which to speculate, so I try to stay mellow and keep my expectations for a call on a given day very low.
However, I can't help but jump every time I get a call in the afternoon!

The one person who has told us she was accepted was notified on Wednesday.
When I called admissions earlier this month, there was a reference to meetings on Tuesday and Thursday, but I didn't ask about it specifically.

That's very little evidence with which to speculate, so I try to stay mellow and keep my expectations for a call on a given day very low.
However, I can't help but jump every time I get a call in the afternoon!

Same here, haha. I"m grasping at straws trying to make sense of this whole thing. Nothing like waiting to drive a person mad

Just called this morning and whether this was true a while ago or recently, they have a full class size now, so as people drop, they consider new acceptances from the waitlist. Doesn't sound like much movement will be happening anymore. Sad, but still trying to keep hope alive!!

Just called this morning and whether this was true a while ago or recently, they have a full class size now, so as people drop, they consider new acceptances from the waitlist. Doesn't sound like much movement will be happening anymore. Sad, but still trying to keep hope alive!!

Are you kidding with this? Obviously, they filled their class. They've filled their class, probably before, but at the very latest April 30th... Why would you expect that they would ignore AMCAS rules and/or regulations?

They've probably been considering applicants from the wait list since April 30th and chances are, if I had to guess, there are a considerable number of people. If we, you, I, Dorian, and that other person, are 10% of the pool than I'd imagine there are 30 to 40 other wait list applicants. Seriously, chill out and stop calling the admissions office.

Stop tying to figure out patterns and/or little clues as to what they do...they already told all of us. When positions become available they re-evaluate everyone's application, period.

Are you kidding with this? Obviously, they filled their class. They've filled their class, probably before, but at the very latest April 30th... Why would you expect that they would ignore AMCAS rules and/or regulations?

They've probably been considering applicants from the wait list since April 30th and chances are, if I had to guess, there are a considerable number of people. If we, you, I, Dorian, and that other person, are 10% of the pool than I'd imagine there are 30 to 40 other wait list applicants. Seriously, chill out and stop calling the admissions office.

Stop tying to figure out patterns and/or little clues as to what they do...they already told all of us. When positions become available they re-evaluate everyone's application, period.
There is no such traffic rule.

https://www.aamc.org/download/364264/data/2014trafficrules.pdf

Every school I spoke to states that the reason for the April 30th deadline (for students to make up their minds on where they are going) is due to April 30th being the date that all schools will have their class filled.
You've misinterpreted them. There is no requirement to fill the class at any time. The April 30th deadline is for students to drop all but one acceptance without being subject to rescindment. Look in the traffic rules that you and I both linked.

You've misinterpreted them. There is no requirement to fill the class at any time. The April 30th deadline is for students to drop all but one acceptance without being subject to rescindment. Look in the traffic rules that you and I both linked.

Ok dude...lol...you believe what you want. Trust me, all schools filled their class. If you want to believe they haven't and/or don't by that deadline, I don't care.

Ok dude...lol...you believe what you want. Trust me, all schools filled their class. If you want to believe they haven't and/or don't by that deadline, I don't care.
Most schools have. But contrary to what you told the other poster, it would not be a violation of any rules not to do so.

Most schools have. But contrary to what you told the other poster, it would not be a violation of any rules not to do so.

If you want to argue technicalities, go ahead. It doesn't change anything...

the date by which schools were required to offer at least enough acceptances to fill their class was actually 3/15

anyway, it's useful to know how many open seats there may be, if you're trying to figure out living arrangements or something and want to gauge how likely it is for the waitlist to move.

@Pdoc387 , you've done this numerous times in several threads now. maybe fall back a bit

the date by which schools were required to offer at least enough acceptances to fill their class was actually 3/15

Obviously, they filled their class. They've filled their class, probably before, but at the very latest April 30th... Why would you expect that they would ignore AMCAS rules and/or regulations?

So, we've just established I wasn't wrong....then, why are you trying to pick a fight?

Thank you for calling and letting us know.

And Chill out @Pdoc387
The information as to how many seats are left are important to a lot of us. We benefit more from her than from you.

So, we've just established I wasn't wrong....then, why are you trying to pick a fight?
You were still wrong. The requirement to offer the number of seats in the class by 3/15 does not imply the class is or must be filled at any time. Many of these offers are declined along the way, and schools have no continuing obligation to replace those who drop by April 30th or any other date.

Anyway, the point is that there is still something to be gained by calling the admissions office every now and then to politely ask if there is any new information.

Thank you for calling and letting us know.

And Chill out @Pdoc387
The information as to how many seats are left are important to a lot of us. We benefit more from her than from you.

Wow. Didn't realize that I would incite so much rage, Pdoc. Thought we were all supposed to be in this together. I was nervous as hell to call and ask about my waitlist standing today and thought to pass along what I found out, to REDUCE the number of calls that poor office gets. I intentionally do not call unless there is something that I need to know-- I've called the office maybe 3 times this whole cycle, and usually it is for an actual reason. Today was the first time I called even though I likely knew the answer. I still wanted to know for sure whether they were waiting for batches of seats to open before they extend acceptances, such as what likely happened only 2 weeks ago. Now I know that it doesn't sound like that is what they are doing. And furthermore, they know that I care about what they are doing. Every interaction is an opportunity to show who you are to ANYONE in this world--make it count. Now I know more about you, Pdoc.

This process is stressful, I'm going through my own hesitations and hoping hard that I'll be finally on the established path towards making my way towards my goals, but if it doesn't happen this year, I would hope that this community-- this over-caffeinated, over-anxious, very talented community of hopefuls-- would be supportive.

So thank you to all who see that, and want the same kind of positive, caring community as I do.

Reactions: 10 users
imagesCATHPY82.jpg

I'm in fear of saying something that'll trigger an angry response on here...so I just tuck my Iced Coffee in between my groin and cruise down the Long Island Expressway like "F it, we're all gon' make it, if not today then 2morrow" and keep my trap shut on here.
P.S.

I know Rand is making phone calls... I called the office and asked this seemingly harmless question just to pester them despite the earlier protest to stop doing so. I'm such a menace. Muahaha. Just teasing :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm in fear of saying something that'll trigger an angry response on here...so I just tuck my Iced Coffee in between my groin and cruise down the Long Island Expressway like "F it, we're all gon' make it, if not today then 2morrow" and keep my trap shut on here.
P.S.

I know Rand is making phone calls... I called the office and asked this seemingly harmless question just to pester them despite the earlier protest to stop doing so. I'm such a menace. Muahaha. Just teasing :)

I truly love my fellow NYers! lol

FYI: spots are available and the decisions will be made in the next two weeks.

FYI: spots are available and the decisions will be made in the next two weeks.
Did you hear this from the admission's office? And, although I doubt you'd know this, do you have any info on how many spots?

Did you hear this from the admission's office? And, although I doubt you'd know this, do you have any info on how many spots?

I just called to confirm this information. They expect 2 seats to open up in the near future as some accepted student deadlines come to pass. The admission's rep also mentioned they will be sending out another email to all waitlisted applicants once again asking them if they wish to remain under consideration. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 3 users
I just called to confirm this information. They expect 2 seats to open up in the near future as some accepted student deadlines come to pass. The admission's rep also mentioned they will be sending out another email to all waitlisted applicants once again asking them if they wish to remain under consideration. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.
chandler-bing-friends-pick-me.gif

I believe one student just committed. Therefore, 1 spot left?

I believe one student just committed. Therefore, 1 spot left?
I just got nausious. It's seriously pathetic if there is only a single seat vacant. I mean a SINGLE seat and there's gotta be dozens of us waitlisters.

Anyone else fill out the needaccess application for financial aid? Seems they need to know the color and consistently of your last 5 bowel movements.