2014-2015 Dartmouth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get one... kind of concerned now... (that being said, I sent an update letter earlier today which obviously confirmed my interest).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes- when I first got the waitlist offer I emailed them confirming my interest, etc. I guess I just say the same thing again??
So did I, but it makes sense for them to want confirmation now that it's passed the April 30 deadline

No, I received it a few weeks ago and it was sent to my AMCAS email. That's strange that you didn't receive it, though. Hope it all works out!

Also, after attending 2nd look, I've officially decided to enroll at Geisel! Have withdrawn all other deposits. Best of luck to everyone on the WL and hopefully we'll all see each other in August!

It all worked out - the staff at the financial aid office are so friendly!

Also, if I remember correctly @Osteoblast_0112, weren't you choosing between UWash and Dartmouth? Congrats on the decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get one... kind of concerned now... (that being said, I sent an update letter earlier today which obviously confirmed my interest).

same here, i haven't gotten one either. I responded to the original email, but it seems others have as well and still received it

i sent them an email expressing my interest a couple of weeks ago, and got the email today. i guess i'll just email them tomorrow saying that nothing's changed

Reactions: 1 user
Thank goodness I'm not alone! Maybe the emails are slow to those of us in Boston ;)
haha, we can be in our own camp of superfans not invited to the after-show party

Yes- when I first got the waitlist offer I emailed them confirming my interest, etc. I guess I just say the same thing again??
@tkmeow, I think that they just want to know that, even after so much WL movement at all the schools, you still maintain interest in Geisel. Change a few words and utter promises of undying love! ;) @chachi, a couple of hours (even days!) can't make that much difference! Good luck to everyone! There is room opening up!

I didn't receive an email either :(

@Pdoc387, check into this. Maybe Dartmouth has switched to the messed-up computer system that Duke is using!! Just an oversight, I am sure!

LOL...or they could be sick of me after my letter of intent, my collage, my persistent I love Dartmouth stuff! Who knows!?

I didn't get it either; I also responded to their original WL email. :(

Hey congrats on your decision! I was just wondering how second look went. What made you decide to attend ?! (If you don't mind my asking)

Thanks!! I thought Second Look was great - really well-organized, lots of opportunities to connect with admitted and current students, alumni, professors, etc! If you have any questions about what we did during 2nd Look, feel free to PM me! I decided on Dartmouth because I felt that it really matched what I was looking for in a medical school - small/close-knit academic community, down-to-earth yet amazing professors and alumni, very strong curriculum, lots of global health opportunities, etc! I also loved the hospital and have heard fantastic things about the quality of 3rd and 4th year clerkships. Hanover is great as a small town, too - yes, it is rural, but I like how there are great outdoor activities and how it is just very peaceful. I also received a good financial aid package (and like kewlboy mentioned, the FA office is incredibly nice) so I was really happy about that, haha.

ACMD, will you be attending Geisel as well? (I'm on my phone so it's kinda hard for me to browse through previous posts)

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL...or they could be sick of me after my letter of intent, my collage, my persistent I love Dartmouth stuff! Who knows!?
Awww. . .who gets tired of "I love you. Yep, still today!" ? :rofl::rofl:

Thanks!! I thought Second Look was great - really well-organized, lots of opportunities to connect with admitted and current students, alumni, professors, etc! If you have any questions about what we did during 2nd Look, feel free to PM me! I decided on Dartmouth because I felt that it really matched what I was looking for in a medical school - small/close-knit academic community, down-to-earth yet amazing professors and alumni, very strong curriculum, lots of global health opportunities, etc! I also loved the hospital and have heard fantastic things about the quality of 3rd and 4th year clerkships. Hanover is great as a small town, too - yes, it is rural, but I like how there are great outdoor activities and how it is just very peaceful. I also received a good financial aid package (and like kewlboy mentioned, the FA office is incredibly nice) so I was really happy about that, haha.

ACMD, will you be attending Geisel as well? (I'm on my phone so it's kinda hard for me to browse through previous posts)

Congratulations! I was wondering if there is any new news about how the PBLs might be incorporated into the curriculum? Thanks!

I just withdrew from the waitlist. I am pretty sure that I was near the bottom, so it may not help! I hope that all those longing for Geisel, though, have the chance to study there. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
I just withdrew from the waitlist. I am pretty sure that I was near the bottom, so it may not help! I hope that all those longing for Geisel, though, have the chance to study there. Good luck, everyone!
Aww, good luck!!

Awww. . .who gets tired of "I love you. Yep, still today!" ? :rofl::rofl:

Thanks for the well wishes! But is there such a thing as 'the bottom'? Geisel reviews all files when positions become available...

It's not ranked--but I'm sure they would notice if they haven't heard from you since the interview. Gahh, I hate waiting :p

Good luck where ever you go!

Good luck wherever you're going! Thanks for all the positivity and rhymes through the cycle on this thread!!

Reactions: 2 users
any word about WL movement? has anyone called admissions? I am going to call sometime this week.

any word about WL movement? has anyone called admissions? I am going to call sometime this week.
From last year's thread, it looked like nothing happened until the last week in May (25th or 26th I believe).

Are you basing this off of a friend you know who hasn't posted to SDN or did you call the admissions office?

I had called the admissions office and when I was speaking to Joan she made a statement to the following: "I'm actually just removing someone off the wait list now..." This was back in late April. So....I don't know how many have been removed and/or the kinetics of the aforementioned movement. I just know I heard her say that. Take it for what you will. Hope it helps.

I had called the admissions office and when I was speaking to Joan she made a statement to the following: "I'm actually just removing someone off the wait list now..." This was back in late April. So....I don't know how many have been removed and/or the kinetics of the aforementioned movement. I just know I heard her say that. Take it for what you will. Hope it helps.
Gotcha--thanks! Hopefully some of us will have good news soon!

Hi! Just to clarify, did she say they were admitting someone from the wait list or just removing them? I wonder if by "removing someone off the wait list" she meant someone dropped their spot on the wait list. Thanks!

a friend of mine just got off the WL at another school, and will be giving up her seat at Dartmouth... so hopefully that means one of us will be called...

I find it hard to believe that they have already called people?

a friend of mine just got off the WL at another school, and will be giving up her seat at Dartmouth... so hopefully that means one of us will be called...

I find it hard to believe that they have already called people?

Respectfully, I don't know either way. From my experience, the only school that I know of, that actually physically calls someone is Loyola Chicago. Furthermore, Howard University does indeed call, but only if it is after orientation. Most schools, from my experience, email.

However, if your point was more generic meaning you find it hard to believe anyone has been removed from the wait list to that I would respond: 1) I certainly wasn't and 2) I can only tell you what I heard Joan say. You can either believe me or not, but the best way to verify this is to call them yourself and simply ask. I'm not trying to lie to you or be more important than I am. I'm simply an applicant who felt that I had the answer under good enough authority to respond to the person's comment.

Respectfully, I don't know either way. From my experience, the only school that I know of, that actually physically calls someone is Loyola Chicago. Furthermore, Howard University does indeed call, but only if it is after orientation. Most schools, from my experience, email.

However, if your point was more generic meaning you find it hard to believe anyone has been removed from the wait list to that I would respond: 1) I certainly wasn't and 2) I can only tell you what I heard Joan say. You can either believe me or not, but the best way to verify this is to call them yourself and simply ask. I'm not trying to lie to you or be more important than I am. I'm simply an applicant who felt that I had the answer under good enough authority to respond to the person's comment.

Great points! I'm not trying to say that you are wrong at all. (if anything I'm just HOPING no one on the WL has been called/emailed as I would like to be accepted myself). And I did mean calling in a generic sense, as in any sort of correspondence. Thank you for calling admissions, I will do the same later this week and let you all know what I hear.

More schools call than that (Georgetown and Rochester to name a couple). It depends on your interviewer, the school policy, and time the staff/interviewer/dean has.

More schools call than that (Georgetown and Rochester to name a couple). It depends on your interviewer, the school policy, and time the staff/interviewer/dean has.

That is why I stated "from my experience". I do not have experience with the latter two. But thank you for the information.

I spoke to two staff members at Geisel early last week.
One of them said this week the committee will have a preliminary meeting to look at who is left on the waitlist.
I don't doubt what Pdoc said, but I do doubt an interpretation of what Joan said that involves accepting people from the waitlist right now.
Obviously, the answer is to call.
I have heard at least three times that Geisel calls people for acceptance from the waitlist. Two of those sources were the Admissions Director and Director of Financial Aid.

ETA: Called. There are currently spots available. Students with multiple acceptances are still being contacted. Once where these students are going has been determined, decisions will come soon (not giving details because it might not happen according to plan). You will definitely be called first if accepted. You will have a week to respond if accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I spoke to two staff members at Geisel early last week.
One of them said this week the committee will have a preliminary meeting to look at who is left on the waitlist.
I don't doubt what Pdoc said, but I do doubt an interpretation of what Joan said that involves accepting people from the waitlist right now.
Obviously, the answer is to call.
I have heard at least three times that Geisel calls people for acceptance from the waitlist. Two of those sources were the Admissions Director and Director of Financial Aid.

ETA: Called. There are currently spots available. Students with multiple acceptances are still being contacted. Once where these students are going has been determined, decisions will come soon (not giving details because it might not happen according to plan). You will definitely be called first if accepted. You will have a week to respond if accepted.

I apologize if I'm wrong. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I truly thought people were accepted off the wait list, but am certainly glad that this wasn't the case. Thank you for your information and polite correction.

I apologize if I'm wrong. I hope I didn't offend anyone. I truly thought people were accepted off the wait list, but am certainly glad that this wasn't the case. Thank you for your information and polite correction.
No problems here. The discussion persuaded me to call and now we all have better information.
From my perspective, it's good you posted what you did!

No problems here. The discussion persuaded me to call and now we all have better information.
From my perspective, it's good you posted what you did!

Dorian, Pdoc, thank you both-- more info is great, and this discussion spurred it. There will always be misunderstandings, but calm heads and inquisitive minds keep us all sane :) right on!

First time post on SDN, but i wanted to confirm that they are accepting people off of the wait list! Got the call today at around 230-330!

Reactions: 8 users
First time post on SDN, but i wanted to confirm that they are accepting people off of the wait list! Got the call today at around 230-330!
Definitely worth the first post :)
Hopefully more of us will get that call soon!

Thank you! good luck to everyone!

Congrats!! I wonder how many empty seats got filled up yesterday

Congrats!! I wonder how many empty seats got filled up yesterday

Call and ask! :) While you're at it, please find out the number of seats available! Thank you!

Reactions: 3 users
Am I the only one who is skeptical about the above user stating he/she was accepted via a phone call? I'm not saying that it didn't happen and/or phone calls won't be made, but isn't it strange only 1 person is confirming that they were accepted off the wait list via this route at this time?

If there is any other user who can confirm their acceptance off the wait list, please confirm.

I haven't been accepted off the wait list and I can't speak for the above poster, but I looked at last year's thread and some people said they were accepted off the wait list via a phone call. Acceptances may be sporadic since they may only have to fill one spot at a time. Plus, this forum is only a small selection of the total applicants (I'd guesstimate there have been 100 or so people posting to this thread out of the 4500ish applicants), so who knows if there were other people who were accepted off the wait list then too! [Doesn't that stink? C'mon people who are reading this but not posting -- be neurotic and post like the rest of us ;) ]

Assuming there will be a similar number of total acceptances this year, the participation (posting) rate of people accepted by Geisel on SDN is about 10%.
There have been 26 acceptances reported on the thread and there were 266 total acceptances last year.

ETA: There were 6 acceptances from the waitlist reported on last year's Geisel thread. I assume that means acceptances from the waitlist are much more likely to be reported on the school thread instead of there being more than 60 acceptances from the waitlist (I wish the latter were true, but alas, 'tis nigh impossible).
Based on this we could expect to hear from only one person initially.
Last year, there were three posts that appeared to be from an initial acceptance burst, then three more in the following six weeks.

The phone call question has already been resolved. Anyone that is accepted from the waitlist will be called first.

Last edited:
Assuming there will be a similar number of total acceptances this year, the participation (posting) rate of people accepted by Geisel on SDN is about 10%.
There have been 26 acceptances reported on the thread and there were 266 total acceptances last year.

ETA: There were 6 acceptances from the waitlist reported on last year's Geisel thread. I assume that means acceptances from the waitlist are much more likely to be reported on the school thread instead of there being more than 60 acceptances from the waitlist (I wish the latter were true, but alas, 'tis nigh impossible).

The phone call question has already been resolved. Anyone that is accepted from the waitlist will be called first.

I don't doubt the phone call portion. I am doubting that authenticity of a member, to be clear. It just seems strange, personally. I could be totally wrong.