2014-2015 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you guys rehashing your meaningful experience from AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really called and asked? What did they say?
I called and asked if they wanted me to write about the activity I marked on my primary. I was told that they would prefer me to choose another. They had no problem with me choosing an activity I had not previously marked.

Reactions: 1 user
I called and asked if they wanted me to write about the activity I marked on my primary. I was told that they would prefer me to choose another. They had no problem with me choosing an activity I had not previously marked.

Wow. So basically even though its contradicting NOT to go with the one from AMCAS, they don't care. I mean there were 3 meaningful activities, 1 of them was bound to be geared towards medicine.
But that's great, I already submitted.

Wow. So basically even though its contradicting NOT to go with the one from AMCAS, they don't care. I mean there were 3 meaningful activities, 1 of them was bound to be geared towards medicine.
But that's great, I already submitted.
I brought up that same point. They said it wouldn't be viewed as a contradiction.

Ugh I submitted like an hour ago and just read all of this. I also wrote about an activity that I picked as "most meaningful" on AMCAS. Oh well, hopefully my other essays are strong enough to make up for it. :/

Ugh I submitted like an hour ago and just read all of this. I also wrote about an activity that I picked as "most meaningful" on AMCAS. Oh well, hopefully my other essays are strong enough to make up for it. :/

I don't think you should worry… i think its weird if you didn't include an activity that led you towards the path of medicine in your primary app but then mentioned it in a secondary…

I take it you didn't do the Johns Hopkins secondary, which has you rewrite basically the entire "Work and Activities" section on your primary.

Anyway, secondary received! No motivation to do this one right now, so saving it until the weekend. Looking forward to the future of secondaries: "In one character, why medicine?"

"$" ...?

EDIT: Or maybe, "<3" if they allow special characters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Would improving a 34 MCAT (Low verbal) or having a relatively low freshman GPA (~3.4 improved to 3.6-3.9 each academic year) be viewed as an inconsistency? I feel like this question might be reserved for those having improved a 20 or 2.0 freshman gpa. What I have is certainly inconsistent, but is it inconsistent enough to warrant mentioning?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im going to talk about my low verbal score so im happy they have this section

How low is your verbal score? And no I don't think a 0.2 - 0.4 variation in GPA is worth noting here.

My verbal was a 7. I was able to maintain basically the same scores in my sciences while improving my verbal to 11. Overall I went up 5 points.

My verbal was a 7. I was able to maintain basically the same scores in my sciences while improving my verbal to 11. Overall I went up 5 points.
agree- Improvements are a positive thing, whereas inconsistencies usually refers to something that does not positively reflect the student you are, so it stands out in your app.

Im going to talk about my low verbal score so im happy they have this section
I thi
I have a 29 MCAT. Should I describe it in the inconsistencies essay?
nope unless you feel you were suppose to get a much higher score ( based on your practice test) and have the need to explain why you received a 29, which I personally do not think is a bad score. There is a thin line between explaining an inconsistency and coming up with an excuse, so I would keep that in mind if deciding to answer this Q

I have a 3.9 GPA and first MCAT was a 26 but second was a 31 should I elaborate on this in the inconsistency question or just leave it blank?? Thanks for any help

i have two things for the inconsistency thing - a c+ in a research course and a lower score on the second mcat... would explaining both just make me sound like someone who's just not academically qualified?

i have two things for the inconsistency thing - a c+ in a research course and a lower score on the second mcat... would explaining both just make me sound like someone who's just not academically qualified?
I do not think that one "C" on your record is an inconsistency- a perfect record is not a pre-req, its the whole picture that counts. As far as a second lower mcat, it really depends by how much lower and I would be careful with this because you do not want to sound like your making an excuse for this. Sometimes your score is not where you want it to be even after working hard. I personally will leave this part blank unless you have something that really stands out (e.g failed classes/low grades/bombed MCAT caused by something personal that happened). For example one of my friends dad passed away towards the end of the semester and he did poorly on all his finals and ended up with poor grades that semester. this section will give him the opportunity to explain what happened .

I have a 3.9 GPA and first MCAT was a 26 but second was a 31 should I elaborate on this in the inconsistency question or just leave it blank?? Thanks for any help
I would leave it blank , to me thats an improvement and its looked as a positive thing. inconsistencies are things that really do not positively reflect who you are as a student.

I have a lower GPA with a few classes that had to be repeated like Chem 1 and Orgo 1. Furthermore, I have taken the MCAT twice with a 7pnt increase the second time. Is it ballsy to say there is non inconsistency, both show that I set goals geared towards improvement, or should I just skip the question too?

I have a lower GPA with a few classes that had to be repeated like Chem 1 and Orgo 1. Furthermore, I have taken the MCAT twice with a 7pnt increase the second time. Is it ballsy to say there is non inconsistency, both show that I set goals geared towards improvement, or should I just skip the question too?
Honestly, I don't think answering this question can hurt you. So long as you spin everything positively, saying I learned ______ from my inconsistency, it is beneficial. Because you don't want to be the person that they think "wow, they really had an inconsistency but chose not to write about it; maybe they think too highly of themselves." ...or you know, something like that. I'm also overly cautious.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I don't think answering this question can hurt you. So long as you spin everything positively, saying I learned ______ from my inconsistency, it is beneficial. Because you don't want to be the person that they think "wow, they really had an inconsistency but chose not to write about it; maybe they think too highly of themselves." ...or you know, something like that. I'm also overly cautious.
I agree with you there. Every school will see from my AMCAS-verified grades that I screwed up one class first semester of senior year when I also had other crap going on. Every "challenge" or "failure" essay, I put in my "that was a tough semester, but I learned from it" response, including Albany's "inconsistency" essay. If you don't wanna explain yourself in the secondary, then you better be prepared to answer this type of question during an interview.

I agree with you there. Every school will see from my AMCAS-verified grades that I screwed up one class first semester of senior year when I also had other crap going on. Every "challenge" or "failure" essay, I put in my "that was a tough semester, but I learned from it" response, including Albany's "inconsistency" essay. If you don't wanna explain yourself in the secondary, then you better be prepared to answer this type of question during an interview.

I did something similar with a tough semester when I had some (not too serious, but significant at the time) health problems. Although I've been nervous it might backfire that I didn't do an outside the classroom "challenge"... I felt like it was my only chance to explain myself

Anyone complete yet?
I emailed the admissions committee today with what I am guessing is a similar concern (my supplemental app is marked as pending, its been about a week after submitting, payment complete, etc.) - they replied and said it would take about a week to 10 days for a "certified" application to be marked as submitted, and only AFTER that will they accept letters sent from AMCAS service, and THEN you can be marked as complete. Not sure where you are in this process, but hang in there!!

I emailed the admissions committee today with what I am guessing is a similar concern (my supplemental app is marked as pending, its been about a week after submitting, payment complete, etc.) - they replied and said it would take about a week to 10 days for a "certified" application to be marked as submitted, and only AFTER that will they accept letters sent from AMCAS service, and THEN you can be marked as complete. Not sure where you are in this process, but hang in there!!

I applied last cycle and it took several weeks to be marked complete, but that was later in the cycle.

For the question that asks "... please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history...", are they referring to the gap year between undergrad and matriculation to med school?

Submitted! That's a wrap on secondaries! :)

Reactions: 3 users
For the question that asks "... please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history...", are they referring to the gap year between undergrad and matriculation to med school?

I'm personally uncertain, I've answered 14 secondaries and seen 30. Of those 30, only SUNY Downstate specifically mentioned gaps between HS and college. I presumed the other schools meant gaps in college education.

I'm personally uncertain, I've answered 14 secondaries and seen 30. Of those 30, only SUNY Downstate specifically mentioned gaps between HS and college. I presumed the other schools meant gaps in college education.

Thanks for the reply! Now that I think about it more, I think they are asking about gaps in post-graduate studies like graduate school. If we have only completed a bachelors, we shouldn't have to answer this question.

I wrote about my gap year. Better safe than sorry; plus I'm sure they'd be interested in that anyways, whether it be in my secondary or interview.

is a 3.93c/3.98s with a 29 MCAT considered inconsistent?

is a 3.93c/3.98s with a 29 MCAT considered inconsistent?
Here's my take, as an applicant:

A high sGPA means you've excelled in every science class you've taken, which sort of goes on to predict success on the MCAT (even in the Verbal section). So, I think there is an inconsistency there that is worth acknowledging. Some people know their stuff but have trouble with standardized tests; maybe that was your situation? Maybe you had a lot of stuff going on while studying? Your GPA shows that you are clearly bright, so I would address the elephant in the room and talk about your score before it talks for you.

That's my two cents! Good luck!

Here's my take, as an applicant:

A high sGPA means you've excelled in every science class you've taken, which sort of goes on to predict success on the MCAT (even in the Verbal section). So, I think there is an inconsistency there that is worth acknowledging. Some people know their stuff but have trouble with standardized tests; maybe that was your situation? Maybe you had a lot of stuff going on while studying? Your GPA shows that you are clearly bright, so I would address the elephant in the room and talk about your score before it talks for you.

That's my two cents! Good luck!

Thanks a lot! Yeah in all of my "any additional information" questions on secondaries I've gone to explain my 9 in bio/lower MCAT score because I want to have acknowledged the elephant before any chance of it doing damage. Being a math major who APed out of Biology (took it junior year of hs lol), I've only taken Genetics and Biochemistry as other "bio-ish" courses. But I worded it not sounding like an excuse but as a lesson learned in a sense. I appreciate the insight!

I hope Albany has someone glance into these threads every now and then so they can read this:

This is the worst secondary of the cycle. Other than the awkwardly open ended "describe yourself" prompt, these questions will not tell them any more about myself as an individual applicant. An inconsistencies in academics question followed by an attendance prompt only to finish with a most meaningful experience? Is that a joke? What was the point of my primary app?

This gives me the impression that numbers are the only thing this school thinks about, which is an awful first impression for a school that is arguably not in the top 75.

End rant and no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise. Just my opinion after writing a lot of secondaries.
1. Who gives a sh** about rankings? Every medical school will train their students to become excellent physicians. It depends on how hard YOU want to work.
2. If you're feeling burned out, then take a break. The "2 week rule" exists for a reason.
3. No school exists that only cares about numbers. Every school will look at the whole application, assuming it gets past any screenings the school chooses to have.

Reactions: 3 users
1. Who gives a sh** about rankings? Every medical school will train their students to become excellent physicians. It depends on how hard YOU want to work.
2. If you're feeling burned out, then take a break. The "2 week rule" exists for a reason.
3. No school exists that only cares about numbers. Every school will look at the whole application, assuming it gets past any screenings the school chooses to have.
Totally agree! Most doctors tell me it doesn't matter where you go to medical school because residencies are given to qualified people from every school!

I hope Albany has someone glance into these threads every now and then so they can read this:

This is the worst secondary of the cycle. Other than the awkwardly open ended "describe yourself" prompt, these questions will not tell them any more about myself as an individual applicant. An inconsistencies in academics question followed by an attendance prompt only to finish with a most meaningful experience? Is that a joke? What was the point of my primary app?

This gives me the impression that numbers are the only thing this school thinks about, which is an awful first impression for a school that is arguably not in the top 75.

End rant and no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise. Just my opinion after writing a lot of secondaries.

The describe yourself essay is the same question that most interviewers will give you. "Tell me about yourself," is an opportunity to explain why you are a fit for the school, why you love medicine or what makes you special in the sea of applicants that are begging to get into any university.

So glad you said number 1. All these sdners make me sick when getting worried about making it into a top 10 school. Likw stfu and be grateful to make it to med school

Reactions: 6 users
So glad you said number 1. All these sdners make me sick when getting worried about making it into a top 10 school. Likw stfu and be grateful to make it to med school

EXACTLY. Residencies don't care where you went (unless potentially academic research track). It's just like applying to med school where they don't really give a rat about your undergrad, as long as you crushes MCAT and grades and everything else

"Describe yourself." definitely tops my list of worst secondary questions out of the 20 apps I've already filled out.

Reactions: 4 users
Which was my whole point.. These prompts are garbage and since Albany isn't a crazy gung-ho school such as Harvard (my reason for mentioning the ranking, which somehow turned into the main conversation) these questions seem inefficient at best when compared to others.
Adcoms don't expect perfection from us. We shouldn't expect perfection from them. We are all human.

So, my status screen is showing that my MCAT score is there and that my letters have been received. Everything is marked "yes" except for "Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee" which still says "no." There is a big scary warning that says that they will change this to "yes" after they determine that I have met their requirements.

That either means they are still checking applications for some specific things before passing them on to the committee, or it means that I am missing some requirement that I'm not aware of. I hope its the former. Is anyone else in the same position?

So, my status screen is showing that my MCAT score is there and that my letters have been received. Everything is marked "yes" except for "Application complete and ready for review by our Admissions Committee" which still says "no." There is a big scary warning that says that they will change this to "yes" after they determine that I have met their requirements.

That either means they are still checking applications for some specific things before passing them on to the committee, or it means that I am missing some requirement that I'm not aware of. I hope its the former. Is anyone else in the same position?
me

This sucker is finally in. Phew.