2014-2015 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then?
(1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.
(1,000 character limit)

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.
(1,000 character limit)

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.
(1,000 character limit)

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.
(1,000 character limit)

If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,
please indicate why:
(1,000 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying OOS good luck all

I'm In luv with this school!!! applying:)

29 and 3.8, OOS. should i apply?

Does this school have an IS bias? I didn't see that in the MSAR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any medical students want to chime in on their experiences here??

Also applying here with a 3.8s/c and a 37. My home institution is loosely affiliated with them, and one of my letter writers is faculty here. Has anyone taken a look at last cycles secondaries? How is everyone planning to respond to the "tell us about yourself" and "why should AMC accept you" prompts? I was thinking about doing a autobiography where I talk about where I grew up, where I went to college, specialty interest. and hobbies for the former and a why AMC essay for the latter.

I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

Also applying here with a 3.8s/c and a 37. My home institution is loosely affiliated with them, and one of my letter writers is faculty here. Has anyone taken a look at last cycles secondaries? How is everyone planning to respond to the "tell us about yourself" and "why should AMC accept you" prompts? I was thinking about doing a autobiography where I talk about where I grew up, where I went to college, specialty interest. and hobbies for the former and a why AMC essay for the latter.
Rethink the second one. It's not asking you why you want to go to AMC, but why AMC should take you over the thousands of other applicants. Focus on what makes you unique, or what you bring to the table. Also, for your first essay, don't waste time talking about things that they can get from your application already. Reflect, certainly, but don't just regurgitate.

Rethink the second one. It's not asking you why you want to go to AMC, but why AMC should take you over the thousands of other applicants. Focus on what makes you unique, or what you bring to the table. Also, for your first essay, don't waste time talking about things that they can get from your application already. Reflect, certainly, but don't just regurgitate.

I'm also struggling with the "Why should we take you?" prompt. It says talk about one thing about you. I'm at such a wall with that one.

I'm also struggling with the "Why should we take you?" prompt. It says talk about one thing about you. I'm at such a wall with that one.

Same.. still questioning my essay but I decided to go with, talk about one thing about myself and relate that back to why that makes me a good fit for AMC. Hoping that works :)

Would someone mind posting this year's secondary essay prompts?

does anyone know if their secondaries stay the same from year to year?

Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.

Guys what LORs did you submit? I got the idea that they only want committee/ letter packet, although I have more from volunteering/shadowing.

A spreadsheet I have with LOR requirements for most schools says Albany requires 1 science, and 1 research letter. However, the included link points to their undergraduate admissions page. I'm sending 1 science (BCMP), 1 research (non-BCMP), 1 non-science, because those are the letters I will have by the time they send secondaries.

Give them a call or an email.

A spreadsheet I have with LOR requirements for most schools says Albany requires 1 science, and 1 research letter. However, the included link points to their undergraduate admissions page. I'm sending 1 science (BCMP), 1 research (non-BCMP), 1 non-science, because those are the letters I will have by the time they send secondaries.

Albany considers the MD program their "undergraduate" program.

They "require" a research letter? Oops, I didn't peruse the MSAR and their website closely enough. I thought they were big into community service. They don't even have MD/PhD...

They "require" a research letter? Oops, I didn't peruse the MSAR and their website closely enough. I thought they were big into community service. They don't even have MD/PhD...

Sorry for the misinformation; website says 3 faculty letters. While the spreadsheet I have says researchers are also acceptable science professors.

Called them. Went to voicemail. I want to submit now, don't wanna wait for reply. I'll just send all my letters.

Dead in the water with that MCAT. Submit now to one school to get verified, then wait for new MCAT results.

Actually your clinical and shadowing hours are very low too. I wouldn't apply MD this year. Think about applying DO.

as much as I don't want another secondary, I'm excited to finish all of them! Anyone received a secondary from Albany yet?

I am a huge fan of this school! From their mission, affiliations, recognitions, etc. I really want to hear back from them idk how their screening is if they screen. I have a 29 MCAT (12p 8v 9b) Biomathematics major 3.93cgpa/3.98sgpa 900+ hrs of EMT as well as 150+ hrs of leadership experience. I know my MCAT is on the lower end. Do you guys think I have a shot?

Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).

Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants OOS (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).

On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?

I wouldn't apply to DO schools with this weak application either.

Wait a year or even two and reapply then with a DIFFERENT MCAT. That 25 will KILL you if your GPA and poor ECs won't do the job first.

If you have previously applied to medical school, but were unsuccessful, how have you spent your time since then?
(1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores.
(1,000 character limit)

Has your college or university, graduate or professional school attendance been interrupted for any reason? If yes, please explain. Also, please explain any gaps in your post-graduate history.
(1,000 character limit)

Tell us one thing about yourself that would help the Admissions Committee determine if you should be admitted to our program.
(1,000 character limit)

In the "Work and Activities" section on your AMCAS application, you provided the following list of experiences. Please select the experience that you feel has been the most meaningful in influencing your desire to pursue a career in medicine, explain why, and also describe what aspect of that experience best equips you to make an impact in the medical profession.
(1,000 character limit)

If your school has a Premedical Advisory Committee but you are not using that service,
please indicate why:
(1,000 character limit)

I've been putting off pre-writing this one because a few of the questions are tough.. guess it's time to start that

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't get a secondary :(. Do they screen?
most likely they are sending them off in batches... I didn't get one either! I think i'll prewrite it though bc I don't imagine their screen being too intense

I haven't gotten it either. This one took me a while when prewriting, so I'm glad the prompts didn't change!

Posted using SDN Mobile

I didn't get a secondary :(. Do they screen?
I'm OOS with a 3.6 GPA, 33 MCAT, and average (but extensive) ECs. I don't think I received the secondary because Albany views me more favorably than others. It's probably because of my early AMCAS submission more than anything else. Yours will probably come very soon.

"Describe yourself"? sounds new. and vague...

I submitted AMCAS on the first day and was verified in 2 days. I still haven't received the secondary...