2012-2013 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure of my strategy but i assumed the amount of people they have accepted is close to the number of people added in the facebook group for the class of 2017 which is 194 including the admin.

How many people do you think don't have a facebook that got accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure of my strategy but i assumed the amount of people they have accepted is close to the number of people added in the facebook group for the class of 2017 which is 194 including the admin.

Everyone should also remember that the number of "acceptances" that they have already sent out will include all of the people that have already declined their acceptance. This is one reason why it should be difficult to compare numbers across years. The number of acceptances already sent out this year may be higher simply becasue they have experienced lower yield than last year, and subsequently scheduled more interviews and handed out more acceptances than they did at this stage in the process last year. They may maintain the facebook group as they get declines in, as well (that is pure speculation).

Right, the facebook group likely represents people (of those who have facebook) who are seriously considering Keck. It is likely that greater than 55% of the students in the group are planning on attending Keck.

Members don't see this ad :)
There was an accepted students event at Keck this past Friday at which they presented some admissions numbers. They said something like they've given out 180 acceptances to females and 150 acceptances to males. I'm not sure if this is what they've already offered, or plan to offer by the end of the cycle, but it is what it is.

Thank you! Next time if I know something, I won't share it if people are going to attack :(

Westside would be a horrible commute. But you do what you gotta do (speaking as someone who commutes from LA to OC). Have you seen the places to live pdf on the facebook page? There's a blurb written about Hollywood/West Hollywood and another one on West LA by current students.

Some things to note: Keck does have webcasted lectures... so you don't HAVE to be in class all the time. You can certainly avoid the worst rush hours with a flexible driving schedule. Also, I'm not familiar with the metro, but Keck does have a stop nearby and maybe there's something that goes through the westside too? A motorcycle might not be a bad idea either if you're going to be driving in during rush hour :).

My vote is for Grove area/Hancock Park, Culver City, or Century City... Either you both have pretty bad commutes, or one of you has a terrrrible one.

I called the admissions office a while back and the lady I spoke with said that 2 years ago only ~4-5 people came off the waitlist of ~100-150 people, and she didn't remember the stats from last year.

I called the admissions office a while back and the lady I spoke with said that 2 years ago only ~4-5 people came off the waitlist of ~100-150 people, and she didn't remember the stats from last year.

yikes.

For those of you wondering, I received this email from the Office of Admissions. This seems like a really quick turnaround, move-in time...

Thank you to everyone that completed the interest survey for the dual degree Doctor of Medicine/ Master of Public Health Program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC. The survey responses indicate a strong interest, therefore we are moving forward with the approval process to offer the accelerated 4 year program with an anticipated start date in mid May. Please note the following:

This program is pending university approval for a start date of May 2013

We must have enough eligible students in order to offer this program if approved

Tuition and fees will be determined for this program prior to your enrollment

An online application with instructions will be emailed no later than Friday, April 12, 2013.

I'm confused now. So Dean Arias told us that in the past there has been considerable movement off the waitlist, but 4-5 isn't considerable at all. I guess we will find out in the summer :/

My vote is for Grove area/Hancock Park, Culver City, or Century City... Either you both have pretty bad commutes, or one of you has a terrrrible one.

Thanks skais. Someone had suggested using sigalert and I put a few routes on there. Thus far, it seems like coming back from keck to the westside has had more alerts than going from keck to the valley. I know the valley is farther from keck than the west side, but it didn't seem thaaaaat bad going from keck up the 5 to the 134 to the 101 (once in the valley) instead of trying to take the 101 nearly the whole way. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself, hahahah.

I will take a closer look at your suggested areas too.

I'm confused now. So Dean Arias told us that in the past there has been considerable movement off the waitlist, but 4-5 isn't considerable at all. I guess we will find out in the summer :/

"In the past" = "We've had one year where..."

Good luck to you guys.

For those of you wondering, I received this email from the Office of Admissions. This seems like a really quick turnaround, move-in time...

Thank you to everyone that completed the interest survey for the dual degree Doctor of Medicine/ Master of Public Health Program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC. The survey responses indicate a strong interest, therefore we are moving forward with the approval process to offer the accelerated 4 year program with an anticipated start date in mid May. Please note the following:

We must have enough eligible students in order to offer this program if approved

An online application with instructions will be emailed no later than Friday, April 12, 2013.

I got that yesterday too. I was seriously interested in this program before when it started in June. I have an international trip planned that can't be moved so last minute. I'm beginning to think this program might not be worth giving up waitlists, and the opportunities that may present themselves the summer after 1rst year

Thanks skais. Someone had suggested using sigalert and I put a few routes on there. Thus far, it seems like coming back from keck to the westside has had more alerts than going from keck to the valley. I know the valley is farther from keck than the west side, but it didn't seem thaaaaat bad going from keck up the 5 to the 134 to the 101 (once in the valley) instead of trying to take the 101 nearly the whole way. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself, hahahah.

I will take a closer look at your suggested areas too.

I second Culver City. It's a very liveable area... but it would take out your 134 option and make you dependent on the 10. Make sure you're checking sigalert at the times of traffic and not at the off hours. It swings pretty dramatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got that yesterday too. I was seriously interested in this program before when it started in June. I have an international trip planned that can't be moved so last minute. I'm beginning to think this program might not be worth giving up waitlists, and the opportunities that may present themselves the summer after 1rst year

Yeah, I'm pretty much on the same page as you.

Anyone get their financial aid offer yet?

The deadline to apply for financial aid is next week. I assume the packages will come out sometime after that.

Did anyone actually get the email?

Did anyone actually get the email?

guys, guys, they're just being efficient! We'll probably get the application the night before we're supposed to move in, turn them in before the first lecture, and leave with our new degree. relax..the delay is actually a part of the plan.

Just wondering if anyone is deciding between here and UCLA. I'm on the alternate list at USC so this is speculatory, but I would love to hear anyone's thoughts!

Just wondering if anyone is deciding between here and UCLA. I'm on the alternate list at USC so this is speculatory, but I would love to hear anyone's thoughts!

I am. Gearing up to head here and am very excited to do so but am waiting to hear from a few waitlists (including UCLA who I have yet to hear from).

Anyone get their financial aid package yet?

I'd pick UCLA over USC. Isn't USC one of the most expensive schools in the US? It's ranked lower than UCLA also and is in a worse part of town.

Anyone get their financial aid package yet?

I definitely have sticker shock.

Cost of Attendance: $82,100
Stafford loans (unsub): $43,100
Student contribution: $39,000

This is with an EFC < 1000. Since its completely impossible for my parents to help even if they wanted to, I feel like this is now out of reach for me... How are they expecting me to take out $82k/year of loans for a total of $320,000 + interest incurred on half of those throughout med school??

All loans for me too. Will be withdrawing for a school that actually gave me scholarships. See ya, USC!

How does USC retain so many applicants if they are giving only loans. Does anyone know how many acceptances they give out compared to how many matriculate?

I got all loans as well and will be withdrawing my acceptance in the coming weeks.

At least you guys on the waitlist have the financial aid to thank for opening spots :D Good luck guys!

How does USC retain so many applicants if they are giving only loans. Does anyone know how many acceptances they give out compared to how many matriculate?

I got all loans as well and will be withdrawing my acceptance in the coming weeks.

At least you guys on the waitlist have the financial aid to thank for opening spots :D Good luck guys!

People really want to stay in California so they don't care about the loans.

They offer a few MERIT based full rides to elite applicants last time I checked. How does USC retain so many applicants without giving aid? well most schools don't and there is massive demand, it's not like the there Is shortages of applicants. the only thing USC could increase is its yield if it gave more aid but that's not relevant.. the school lost a battle against the Union, they wanted to cut some of their overpaid staff but they lost and now the cost is being passed on students in higher tuition.

i'm incredibly curious how this $82,100 number came about. Tuition/insurance comes out to ~$52k. $30,000 a year living expenses? that's quite the life for a student... i must be missing something. Thoughts?

i'm incredibly curious how this $82,100 number came about. Tuition/insurance comes out to ~$52k. $30,000 a year living expenses? that's quite the life for a student... i must be missing something. Thoughts?

401742530-obama-cash.gif

Tuition alone is about 52k. insurance and other fees are over 2k. estimated rent is 1200/month. Almost another 3k in transportation costs. I dislike the numbers, but none of it sounds that unreasonable.

http://www.usc.edu/admission/fa/applying_receiving/graduates2/medical/Cost.html

Anyone else want to share their situation or thoughts. Whether they are going to withdraw or not?

Anyone else want to share their situation or thoughts. Whether they are going to withdraw or not?

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to those on the waitlist.

Tuition alone is about 52k. insurance and other fees are over 2k. estimated rent is 1200/month. Almost another 3k in transportation costs. I dislike the numbers, but none of it sounds that unreasonable.

http://www.usc.edu/admission/fa/applying_receiving/graduates2/medical/Cost.html

No one, and I mean no one, pays $1200 / month for rent + utilities. You would have to be living in a swanky 1bd / 1br downtown apartment to be hitting those kinds of numbers.

Rent + utilities ranges between $600-900 for your own room & bathroom, depending on where you live, and how many people you live with. Source: I've managed rental properties in the area for the last few years.

Transportation can certainly vary depending on your vehicle, driving distance, and parking options. Parking can be expensive (Biggy structure ~$400 / yr) or FREE if you're willing to walk 10 mins from the free parking lot (Lot 10). Some people live next to school (City View Terrace) which is close enough to commute via bike. Most people live 8-15 minutes away (driving) in Monterey Hills, Alhambra, or South Pasadena.

Food & personal expenses can also vary wildly as well. Downtown can get scary-expensive. Alhambra is uber-affordable.

Insurance can be waived if you have separate coverage. You still have to pay ~$500 for health care access even if you do waive the student health insurance plan, but this fee includes unlimited office visits, exams, etc.

Is USC expensive? Absolutely. When compared to the vast majority of private institutions (assuming no differences in financial aid), it is quite typical.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.