2012-2013 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what the status of my application was as well. I haven't heard back after my primary screening since Janurary. I have emailed them though, albeit just recently. I fear the worst, and there a few places that have given me silent rejections so I wouldn't be surprised if this is also one. I've applied and got accepted to their master's program as a secondary option to medical school (i've been unlucky with all other medical schools that I've applied this cycle), and I've already paid the deposit. So either way, I'll be going to RFU, lol.
Anyway, I did enjoy taking a look at their match list. Seems like this school sends a lot of their students to really good residency placements. Can't believe there are so many CA residency positions on that list. As a Californian this makes me want to go there even more.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am wondering what the status of my application was as well. I haven't heard back after my primary screening since Janurary. I have emailed them though, albeit just recently. I fear the worst, and there a few places that have given me silent rejections so I wouldn't be surprised if this is also one. I've applied and got accepted to their master's program as a secondary option to medical school (i've been unlucky with all other medical schools that I've applied this cycle), and I've already paid the deposit. So either way, I'll be going to RFU, lol.
Anyway, I did enjoy taking a look at their match list. Seems like this school sends a lot of their students to really good residency placements. Can't believe there are so many CA residency positions on that list. As a Californian this makes me want to go there even more.

Your best bet is to call Audrey and ask her what your status is. As for the residency thing, you can get one wherever you like, and it just so happens that somewhere around half of the RFU class comes from Cali so that explains why that match list looks the way it does. Weird I know lol

When do they interview to? Are they just about finished handing out invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get an email in regards to the RFU match list? Kinda obnoxious considering they didn't grant me an interview :rolleyes:

It is a systems-based curriculum, switching this fall to pass/fail, with exams currently every 3 weeks (with the addition of occasional anatomy practicals, clinical skills exams, etc)

Oh, and to be a little more clear, I'm a student here, and the curriculum isn't quite systems based. It's more traditional, but it does focus in on particular systems. It looks like this:

1st Trimester: All of biochem, cell biology, and embryology; some anatomy (Back, lower extremity, upper extremity), physiology (Essentially, just action potentials and Muscle physiology), and histology (introduction to histology and a couple of other units). There is also a course called HMTD that focuses on interactions between different fields as well as genetics. These final two courses are pretty easy to pass and require little work beyond small group participation.

2nd trimester: This is where the curriculum becomes more systems-based. Physiology, anatomy, and histology are the main topics. I don't recall if there were any small group based courses.

3rd trimester: The end of systems-based material. Anatomy ends with another practical. Neuroscience begins and dominates the curriculum, histology continues, and physiology continues. A neurohistology portion is also added. Much of this is tacked on to the neuro curriculum. Bioethics and epidemiology (soft courses) also start. They're easy but require some busywork, and you won't really learn much in them.

And to reiterate, exams every 3 weeks with an occasional anatomy practical (3 total) peppered in to make you panic a little.

Any other questions about curriculum? Or anything else? You have my attention.

Oh, and to be a little more clear, I'm a student here, and the curriculum isn't quite systems based. It's more traditional, but it does focus in on particular systems. It looks like this:

1st Trimester: All of biochem, cell biology, and embryology; some anatomy (Back, lower extremity, upper extremity), physiology (Essentially, just action potentials and Muscle physiology), and histology (introduction to histology and a couple of other units). There is also a course called HMTD that focuses on interactions between different fields as well as genetics. These final two courses are pretty easy to pass and require little work beyond small group participation.

2nd trimester: This is where the curriculum becomes more systems-based. Physiology, anatomy, and histology are the main topics. I don't recall if there were any small group based courses.

3rd trimester: The end of systems-based material. Anatomy ends with another practical. Neuroscience begins and dominates the curriculum, histology continues, and physiology continues. A neurohistology portion is also added. Much of this is tacked on to the neuro curriculum. Bioethics and epidemiology (soft courses) also start. They're easy but require some busywork, and you won't really learn much in them.

And to reiterate, exams every 3 weeks with an occasional anatomy practical (3 total) peppered in to make you panic a little.

thanks for this! I interviewed just last week and enjoyed the school, what can I do now to show that I would really really like to attend if I was accepted?

Thanks for the details! I would love to be accepted here. Interviewed 7 weeks ago -- waiting for initial response. Fingers crossed for this week

I'm typing up my letter right now, hopefully they will like it enough to accept me haha

hey guys, I'm interested in applying 2013-2014 and I realize there's no thread for that so...

I've been told this school isn't too selective with in staters and it just so happens my family is re-locating to the Chicago area from Pennsylvania this summer. My family already has the house and everything so do you think I could pass for an in state resident and possibly get into this school for next year?

My stats: MCAT 27 (planning to retake) GPAc 3.4 GPAs 3.3.

I'm applying mostly to DO schools but I want to take advantage of any MD opportunity I can find so I'm thinking of applying here and to Southern Illinois and trying to conceal the fact I have just moved to the area. Feel free to call me names.

hey guys, I'm interested in applying 2013-2014 and I realize there's no thread for that so...

I've been told this school isn't too selective with in staters and it just so happens my family is re-locating to the Chicago area from Pennsylvania this summer. My family already has the house and everything so do you think I could pass for an in state resident and possibly get into this school for next year?

I'm applying mostly to DO schools but I want to take advantage of any MD opportunity I can find so I'm thinking of applying here and to Southern Illinois and trying to conceal the fact I have just moved to the area. Feel free to call me names.

Your stats are a bit low, but depending on the rest of your app you might have a shot. Just make sure to apply early. And just an FYI, southern has such low entrance stats because they only accept applicants from central and southern Illinois (in an effort to make sure there are enough Physicians that will end up practicing there). I'm from the suburbs of Chicago, and when I applied there last cycle, I got a rejection letter almost immediately saying that it was because I didn't live far enough south in Illinois. So unless by Chicago you mean Kankakee county or south of there, I wouldn't advise wasting the money on the southern app.

Thank you for the heads up about Southern Illinois. I had no idea that they had a regional preference even within the state. I kinda wonder how many people move to that area just to take advantage of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the heads up about Southern Illinois. I had no idea that they had a regional preference even within the state. I kinda wonder how many people move to that area just to take advantage of that.

My friend ran into the same situation this cycle

interesting, what other school in that area do you think would be closest to RFU in terms of stats and not discriminate against out of staters?

To be perfectly honest, without a better MCAT, you don't stand much of a chance at RFUMS. Pull that thing up. Students with stats like yours generally end up in RFUMS's BMS program (special master's degree).

RFUMS doesn't explicitly have a regional preference, and many of our students are from California, with a good smattering from the east coast as well, so being in-state won't help you here.

The adcom is meeting this Friday, so hopefully people will hear something soon (I guess these last 2 months they have deviated from their normal schedule).

Also, people were posting previously that interviews might be ending on 4/22, but apparently there are more interviews scheduled for 4/24

The adcom is meeting this Friday, so hopefully people will hear something soon (I guess these last 2 months they have deviated from their normal schedule).

Also, people were posting previously that interviews might be ending on 4/22, but apparently there are more interviews scheduled for 4/24

If you dont mind me asking, how do you know this?

To be perfectly honest, without a better MCAT, you don't stand much of a chance at RFUMS. Pull that thing up. Students with stats like yours generally end up in RFUMS's BMS program (special master's degree).

RFUMS doesn't explicitly have a regional preference, and many of our students are from California, with a good smattering from the east coast as well, so being in-state won't help you here.

I wouldn't say that necessarily. It depends on a lot of other things. If you are URM that could help, or if you are female (I'm not sexist I just know that statistically male applicants score roughly 2 points higher on the mcat) that could mean you are more competitive. Since most med schools are trying to balance out a class with regard to race and sex, you have to look at your stats in comparison to your specific demographic pool. That information is in tables on aamc if you poke around I'm sure you can find it. Also, if your extracurriculars are good that could also bode well. Keep in mind, this is a holistic application process (for your average med school anyway), so don't give up hope based purely on your stats!

Think that notifications will go out on Friday or Monday?

Hey guys, just withdrew, hopefully in time for this Friday's adcom. Best of luck!

Been waitlisted since December. Only got one official email about my status in February since then. Hoping to hear some good news soon feels like eternity. if they do meet friday good luck to everyone!

I wouldn't say that necessarily. It depends on a lot of other things. If you are URM that could help, or if you are female (I'm not sexist I just know that statistically male applicants score roughly 2 points higher on the mcat) that could mean you are more competitive. Since most med schools are trying to balance out a class with regard to race and sex, you have to look at your stats in comparison to your specific demographic pool. That information is in tables on aamc if you poke around I'm sure you can find it. Also, if your extracurriculars are good that could also bode well. Keep in mind, this is a holistic application process (for your average med school anyway), so don't give up hope based purely on your stats!

I didn't say that the poster had NO chance. I said that he/she doesn't have MUCH of a chance. And it's true.

Has Anyone Heard Back? I've been trying to call Audrey for the past three days and its been goin to voicemail.....................

I got the following.... doesn't sound like alternate list or wait list ... sigh..

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in the Chicago Medical School. I am contacting you to give you an update regarding our selection process. The committee meets periodically up through the beginning of classes in the fall and your application is still active in that process. You could hear a decision at any time.

Please feel free to send in any updates you wish the committee to review. This could include letters of interest, transcripts, additional letters of recommendation, or updated contact information.

If at any time you would like to remove yourself from further consideration, please let us know at [email protected].

Please feel free to contact our office if we can be of further assistance throughout the admissions process.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Durkin
Associate Vice President
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science

I got the following.... doesn't sound like alternate list or wait list ... sigh..

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your continued interest in the Chicago Medical School. I am contacting you to give you an update regarding our selection process. The committee meets periodically up through the beginning of classes in the fall and your application is still active in that process. You could hear a decision at any time.

Please feel free to send in any updates you wish the committee to review. This could include letters of interest, transcripts, additional letters of recommendation, or updated contact information.

If at any time you would like to remove yourself from further consideration, please let us know at [email protected].

Please feel free to contact our office if we can be of further assistance throughout the admissions process.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Durkin
Associate Vice President
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science

Got the same. It's kinda like a waitlist

I got the same thing, I interviewed in early April, did everyone who interviewed and hasn't heard back yet get the same thing? Could you please share.

I don't think this is a wait-list but I want to call and find out. Hopefully its just a 'calm down well let you know soon' but its super vague lol

I interviewed early April as well. I suspect they didn't send out any acceptances today...

if everyone gets that I guess its just a chill out kinda email but that would suck if this is their way of giving a waitlist lol

This is their "waitlist". It's more of a deferment until the next meeting. I don't think they out anyone on an actual waitlist until June or July

well may 15th people can only hold one spot, so maybe we wait till then before we start freaking out.

I got the same thing, I interviewed in early April, did everyone who interviewed and hasn't heard back yet get the same thing? Could you please share.

I don't think this is a wait-list but I want to call and find out. Hopefully its just a 'calm down well let you know soon' but its super vague lol

Let me know what Audrey says if you call!

Yeah I interviewed in April and got the same thing

I spoke to someone at admissions today and they stated that its not a waitlist email. Its just saying that the committee will be meeting again to review everyone because they have not gotten to everyone, and that a final decision has not been made. however, she also said that "some people got acceptances".

i just spoke with someone as well, it just means they havne't gotten to us and the person said "don't read into it" apparently we will know more after the next committee meeting.. no idea when that will be .. sigh.

Thanks for the info guys. That's relieving. I'm guessing that the meeting won't be until after 5/15. Don't they require a payment then?

Withdrew my acceptance today due to another acceptance. I hope this means good news for someone else. Good luck!

Withdrew my acceptance recently due to another acceptance as well. The waitlist should start moving soon enough!

Thanks for the info guys. That's relieving. I'm guessing that the meeting won't be until after 5/15. Don't they require a payment then?

If you don't get in until after 5/15, you'll have a bit of time to send in your payment. Don't fret; they're not completely oblivious to the fact that you don't have a time machine.

If you don't get in until after 5/15, you'll have a bit of time to send in your payment. Don't fret; they're not completely oblivious to the fact that you don't have a time machine.

Haha. I meant that as in the committee will probably wait until after the deposit is due to meet again

So, I just received an email yesterday stating that my application passed a primary screening. Does anyone know what this means, especially at this point in the cycle?

So, I just received an email yesterday stating that my application passed a primary screening. Does anyone know what this means, especially at this point in the cycle?

That means the committee will start reviewing you for an interview. But I'm not sure why they sent that to you this late, I thought they were done interviewing a week ago. Anyone else know anything about it?

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hope the spot goes to one of you! Good luck :)

I got the "Rebecca Drukin" email last week as well. I heard that some of the people in the masters program have gotten accepted last week. Maybe they'll focus on the regular applicant pool this time around.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance. Hopefully one of you guys gets it! Good luck everyone - it's a great school.

I got a stupid rejection email from this school like half a year after I withdrew my application.

Status
Not open for further replies.