2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ranked. Interviewed ~ 2 weeks ago and keeping my expectations low..would rather have my sleep :sleep: Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious--has anyone received the Dean's Scholarship yet or does additional funding on top of $15k not come out until March/April?

Hold. O well..I liked the school, didn't like Rochester. Expensive as hell plane ticket too. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked it myself [out of curiosity]; there is nothing to click. Call them asap.

Phewf -- they said there's a cancellation on the fifth, and two open spots on the 9th. So, next week, I'm flying down to Minneapolis! :D

I got the call from Gina today!!! Accepted!!!! Yay!!! :) This place is awesome. Good luck to everyone!

Any 3rd years or 4th years care to chime in on the questions posted sometime ago?

So! I'm interviewing a week from now -- anyone else coming down on the 9th, or are you all smart enough not to wait this late in the cycle? :D

Also, congrats to all the jubilant acceptees -- have any grand tips or stories you want to share?

Good luck to those waiting, but try and and save at least *one* spot for the very end, mm? :p

I know there are some 3rd and 4th years lurking around.. I would love to see some of these questions answered.

Speaking from a second-year perspective, I can try to answer these questions:

1) What is the 3rd year like and how is it structured?: This is when you do your core rotations. Everyone's schedule is different and they try to accommodate scheduling preferences to the extent possible. Rotations can be done in Rochester, Florida or Arizona.

a) How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role. Do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing?
I don't have direct experience with this yet, but from what I've seen second-hand, they are pretty involved, writing notes, etc...

2) Where do 3rd year evaluations come from?
There is a subjective evaluation in addition to a shelf examination grade that factor into evaluation.

3) How are medical students protected from scut?
Again, I don't have any experience in the third-year rotations yet.

4) How receptive is the administation to fixing problems and/or disciplining out of line behavior, especially from residents?
... same as above...

5) How is the research opportunities at Mayo?
Quite nice. A classmate just got published in Nature :) Many students start getting involved in the first two years. There is also time set aside during the third year for a research rotation (or for TAing anatomy or pathology if you prefer). The docs here are very open and welcoming to students working with them.

6) How good is Mayo at focusing on the bread and butter?
They do their best. There are some things that you just don't see much of in Rochester, given the patient demographic. That said, we have solid internal medicine and family medicine practices that get a lot of bread and butter. Keep in mind, although Mayo is a large referral practice, a lot of patients consider Mayo their primary for medical care.

Having acknowledged that students may not get a chance to see certain cases, the medical school has devised training modules that students can go through if there is a particular type of case that is important to see but which they haven't been able to see on their rotations.

Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: Very much so!

Speaking from a second-year perspective, I can try to answer these questions:

1) What is the 3rd year like and how is it structured?: This is when you do your core rotations. Everyone's schedule is different and they try to accommodate scheduling preferences to the extent possible. Rotations can be done in Rochester, Florida or Arizona.

a) How are the rotations structured? What is your role on the wards? Do you have a clear role. Do you get your "hands dirty" alot, or is it alot of shadowing?
I don't have direct experience with this yet, but from what I've seen second-hand, they are pretty involved, writing notes, etc...

2) Where do 3rd year evaluations come from?
There is a subjective evaluation in addition to a shelf examination grade that factor into evaluation.

3) How are medical students protected from scut?
Again, I don't have any experience in the third-year rotations yet.

4) How receptive is the administation to fixing problems and/or disciplining out of line behavior, especially from residents?
... same as above...

5) How is the research opportunities at Mayo?
Quite nice. A classmate just got published in Nature :) Many students start getting involved in the first two years. There is also time set aside during the third year for a research rotation (or for TAing anatomy or pathology if you prefer). The docs here are very open and welcoming to students working with them.

6) How good is Mayo at focusing on the bread and butter?
They do their best. There are some things that you just don't see much of in Rochester, given the patient demographic. That said, we have solid internal medicine and family medicine practices that get a lot of bread and butter. Keep in mind, although Mayo is a large referral practice, a lot of patients consider Mayo their primary for medical care.

Having acknowledged that students may not get a chance to see certain cases, the medical school has devised training modules that students can go through if there is a particular type of case that is important to see but which they haven't been able to see on their rotations.

Hope this helps.

Just curious--has anyone received the Dean's Scholarship yet or does additional funding on top of $15k not come out until March/April?

I am also curious about this. Lol. What is this dean scholarship you speak of?

There is no differentiation in scholarships anymore. Everyone gets the same thing. It is 15k to start. There is a very high chance that that amount will be increased later on though (for us, we got a huge scholarship boost in September). After need-based grants and the scholarship funding, tuition is approximately $4,000 for us first years this year.

There is no differentiation in scholarships anymore. Everyone gets the same thing. It is 15k to start. There is a very high chance that that amount will be increased later on though (for us, we got a huge scholarship boost in September). After need-based grants and the scholarship funding, tuition is approximately $4,000 for us first years this year.

So does everybody get the same amount of need base grants? Or was $4,000 the best case when it came to paying for tution.

If you have EFC 0 on your FAFSA (which pretty much everyone has - only way you won't is if you had decent income for the year prior), you get the standard grant amount.

how is the amount (total cost of attendance - tuition) + $4k? where CoA includes cost of living, random fees, insurance.

If you have EFC 0 on your FAFSA (which pretty much everyone has - only way you won't is if you had decent income for the year prior), you get the standard grant amount.

Oh, I see. So even students whose parents make a substantial amount of money will get the same need-based grants as students whose parents do not make much money at all. I am guessing those parents of the former students can easily pay off much of the CoA+ 4k tution (making the debt load for the majority of the group very low). Students of low economic standing may not get as good of a deal due to the fact their parents' income are not taken into account. However, Mayo for anybody is very affordable! If you factor the training you get at the institution it is really a steal!

Last edited:
Expenses

The following is a list of estimated first-year student expenses for Mayo Medical School (11 months): for the 2009-2010 academic year.

Tuition: $ 30,660
Books: $1950
Rent and Utilities: $14,328 (Average $1,194/month)
Food: $ 3,720 (Average $ 310/month)
Personal/Miscellaneous: $ 6,180 (Average $ 515/month)
Transportation: $ 3,720 (Average $ 310/month)
Technology Fees:
$ 600 - Equipment
$ 530 - Internet Service

Source:http://www.mayo.edu/mms/md-expenses.html

This is a bit outdated, the tution is around 35-36k.

Well, regardless of the specific amount, Mayo's financial aid is amazing. The year-to-year specifics vary, so we'll just have to wait until March/April for more details.

This may have been asked already, but what is the usual schedule for 2nd look? I wonder how many of us will attend!

I think in a previous years thread it was mentioned that the cost of attendance really over estimates what it costs to live in Rochester. Of course this depends on how you want to live.

Case in point, my mortgage for a 4 bed, 2 bath house with a huge yard is less than the rent/utilities estimate listed. You could rent a nice 2 bedroom/ 2 bath townhome with a garage for 1100. You can definitely rent nice apartments much cheaper than that.

.....And suddenly I am glad to have been rejected from here: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/133/ss20111205220651.png
ss20111205221314.png

(granted this is Minneapolis and not Rochester but close enough)

.... jk, but still trying to make myself feel better about this haha

If no interview invite from Mayo now, does that mean I'm done? I think interviews end in December.

The last interview date is this upcoming monday. Therefore, it is a reasonable conclusion on your part. :(

They did add an interview day so the last is December 16th. More than likely those invites have been extended already though. However, there are sometimes cancellations. I wouldn't hang on to too much hope but there's always a chance.

If it matters to any of you, I got an interview invite today at 2AM (big LOL). I submitted my application to Mayo pretty late (early October) so that's probably why.

Since I have already interviewed at multiple Top 10 schools, I decided to withdraw from my interview invite ( + I do not forsee myself going to Mayo as an Canadian international student)

If this opens up a spot for anyone, best of luck at your interview and MD2016!!

If it matters to any of you, I got an interview invite today at 2AM (big LOL). I submitted my application to Mayo pretty late (early October) so that's probably why.

Since I have already interviewed at multiple Top 10 schools, I decided to withdraw from my interview invite ( + I do not forsee myself going to Mayo as an Canadian international student)

what about being canadian makes mayo a bad school for you? lack of prestige? or the fact that you wont graduate with $300k in debt because of their generous finaid that includes internationals

How about the fact that I have an interview in New York this week, a final exam on Sunday back in Canada, and the deadline for interviewing is on Monday and that there is no way I can travel from where I live to Mayo?

If I give the wrong vibe, I am very sorry. My decision not to attending my Mayo interview has nothing to do with its reputation. If prestige is anything to me, I KNEW ABOUT MAYO before I knew about Hopkins. For starters, my family doctor graduated from Mayo!

maybe s/he has had enough of the cold. or worries that, with a class size of merely 50, that there will be a smaller likelihood of people matriculating that play hockey :p

If the hockey thing did play a role, though, do reconsider; on the off chance that everything goes well for me on Friday and I'm lucky enough to get accepted, I will bring all my hockey-playing enthusiasm down to Rochester. Guaranteed.

I wonder, though, if there are even spots left? Comments from back in the day suggest that at the tail end of things, they might just be interviewing for waitlist spots; I don't know if they still do that. I think a lot of Canadians are closer to the later end of the application cycle; "rolling admissions" is just not something we have up here, so it always catches us off guard. :laugh:

I remember them explicitly saying they would never do that (interview for waitlist spots)
If the hockey thing did play a role, though, do reconsider; on the off chance that everything goes well for me on Friday and I'm lucky enough to get accepted, I will bring all my hockey-playing enthusiasm down to Rochester. Guaranteed.

I wonder, though, if there are even spots left? Comments from back in the day suggest that at the tail end of things, they might just be interviewing for waitlist spots; I don't know if they still do that. I think a lot of Canadians are closer to the later end of the application cycle; "rolling admissions" is just not something we have up here, so it always catches us off guard. :laugh:

yikes, knowledge that there might be an interview spot available is probably not conducive to a healthy sleeping pattern tonight. Although the odds that I would receive said spot are probably quite low anyway, and I doubt I could make it to Rochester anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I'm in Rochester! Interview tomorrow. Any last minute tips? :)

So, I'm in Rochester! Interview tomorrow. Any last minute tips? :)

Iron out any creases in your suit, don't shake with your left hand and most importantly, be yourself :)

Good luck!

Ended up getting an II for the 16th! Really excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is from AAMC recommendations for first year entering students:

"By March 30 of the year of matriculation, each school of medicine should have issued a number of acceptances at least equal to the size of its first year entering class."

As Mayo doesn't over-accept, this means that Mayo will be accepting people until 3/30/12 and then stop until 5/15/12. Can anyone confirm this?

Interview done! It was lovely, and full of nice interviewers/people, and the Mayo is amazing. Congrats, Black Knight! They mentioned that they had enough spots for everyone that was there today, so there's about ten or so spots left at least. :D So no need for neurosis yet.

So, I was wondering: thank-you notes. Is that a thing people do? It seems a little brown-nosy, but I also don't want to offend or appear ungrateful.

Interview done! It was lovely, and full of nice interviewers/people, and the Mayo is amazing. Congrats, Black Knight! They mentioned that they had enough spots for everyone that was there today, so there's about ten or so spots left at least. :D So no need for neurosis yet.

So, I was wondering: thank-you notes. Is that a thing people do? It seems a little brown-nosy, but I also don't want to offend or appear ungrateful.

It is a thing people do, but the informed consensus seems to be that it doesn't make any difference. FWIW, I've written a couple, but not for every interview.

Thanks! It's going to be quite the adventure for me to get to Rochester, but I'm sure Mayo will be worth it.

*Crickets* 3 days without a post on this thread. That must be a record.

*Crickets* 3 days without a post on this thread. That must be a record.
we're at 48 pages now...kind of awesome. that's gotta be a record.

One question, is most of the interview day inside? weather.com says it's going to be 23 degrees on Friday. Will I be OK in my suit?

In my tour, I just had to cross the street. That's it. Everything else was via tunnels; they're everywhere. Students never have to see the sun, if such is their choice.

Is tomorrow when the whole board meets? Does anyone remember from their interview? I just remember it was a Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.