2010-2011 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it seems like they should just give us that information. Personally it's going to impact my decision to spend money getting to/from Second Look...

I totally agree. Alas, I suppose they are faster than most.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a USB drive in the mail today with some videos about UMMS (Sanjay Gupta makes an appearance!). Love the admissions team here and their creative ways of communication. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get a thumb-drive in the mail?

Hopefully some current students can respond to this!

Is it appropriate to let UMich know about other scholarship offers yet?

I've been watching their Twitter feed and it seems like they are making these decisions mostly based on their internal ratings of candidates, with other factors being less important but still considered (competitive acceptances, scores, etc).

However, I'm personally in the position of having another scholarship offer at a competitive school that makes it difficult to justify going to Michigan without some kind of merit scholarship.

The only question in my mind is when to tell them: now or later?

Thanks!

Hopefully some current students can respond to this!

I've been watching their Twitter feed and it seems like they are making these decisions mostly based on their internal ratings of candidates, with other factors being less important but still considered (competitive acceptances, scores, etc).

However, I'm personally in the position of having another scholarship offer at a competitive school that makes it difficult to justify going to Michigan without some kind of merit scholarship.

The only question in my mind is when to tell them: now or later?

Thanks!

You can hold as many acceptances as you want until May 15th. There is no rush until around the beginning of May to have all financial affairs in order; they will probably advise you to wait and see their offer simply because there is no rush. Ruiz also doesn't seem like he runs any facet of the office like a used car lot. I would ask him once and only once; he might ask you to call back from time to time to see what has become available to him, but I would make sure to make the initial request only once.

Last edited:
OMG I got a scholarship email today!!!! :soexcited: so so excited :clap::claps: :love: Such a great surprise!!

Same here! I was offered a scholarship too. This is shaping up to be a great week.

Last edited:
+1 for scholarship email, although I thought they weren't supposed to go out until next week...

bumping this question because I'm curious too.

Are the emails usually staggered? I haven't received one yet, but I figured I'd get at least something.

Why are there 2 rounds of scholarships vs 1?

It might be hard to justify a school, no matter how much I like it, with such price differentials. In-state people, scholarship people, then the rest of us? I'm disappointed. Oh well...

Cole, nearly full tuition to Chicago now?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know. I imagine every letter is relatively individualized, not everyone gets the same amount. It might be hard to justify a school, no matter how much I like it, with such price differentials. In-state people, scholarship people, then the rest of us? I'm disappointed.

This just sounds bitter to me. Come on. Like you'd say no to a huge scholarship here if you received one?

This just sounds bitter to me. Come on. Like you'd say no to a huge scholarship here if you received one?

No, quite the opposite. I'd love one. I'm just saying Michigan is unique in that it's a powerhouse public school with lots of instate and out of state people. Lots of people pay different prices to go here. I personally would not like to think I'm paying 2x as much as someone else for the same education. Such is life though. Not everything is fair. Michigan has a ton of fine accepted students and it was silly of me to assume I'd get a little something as an out of state person to ease the difference between in and out of state tuitions.

I was soooo excited by the scholarship email last night too! A weeks early! I'm sure there are more coming! Best of luck to all!

Why are there 2 rounds of scholarships vs 1?

There are most likely going to be even more rounds than that. This is probably because Michigan, like all institutions, has finite resources and therefore can't offer large scholarships to everybody. They also know, however, that even some applicants who receive scholarships will ultimately matriculate at other schools anyway. Therefore, after they have a better sense of who is actually coming to Michigan, they will be able to offer scholarship packages to more people. Hope that helps!

Haha wowww someone's feelin a little entitled...you do realize they don't give every out of state person a scholarship right?

Nah, I think I overestimated how much they had to give. I just assumed most people got some. I don't think I'm entitled to anything, I was just disappointed. I thought a lot more went around.

It might be hard to justify a school, no matter how much I like it, with such price differentials. In-state people, scholarship people, then the rest of us? I'm disappointed. Oh well...

Cole, nearly full tuition to Chicago now?

Yeah, looking more and more like Chicago. Mich was really the only contender, but I'm not going to Mich and paying full price over Chicago. It's really gunna come down to money.

Yeah, looking more and more like Chicago. Mich was really the only contender, but I'm not going to Mich and paying full price over Chicago. It's really gunna come down to money.

Yeah, the next few weeks will probably decide where each of us go. Good luck on the decision you have left to go. Maybe we can still be classmates?

do you guys think me not sending thank you notes and not ever participating in chats was considered with my application?

i sent thank you notes to all of my other schools, but this period was really busy for me and it slipped my mind

do you guys think me not sending thank you notes and not ever participating in chats was considered with my application?

i sent thank you notes to all of my other schools, but this period was really busy for me and it slipped my mind

I really doubt that makes a difference. I didn't send thank you notes (only thank you emails after I had been accepted), partly because I hadn't known that was a common practice. And I couldn't participate in any of the chats because I always had class on Wednesday evenings.

I don't think thank you notes make a difference. I didn't send any thank you cards or emails to this school (it slipped my mind as well during the busy season). For the few schools that I didn't send thank you cards to, none seemed to negatively affect my acceptance decisions. I got a scholarship here too.

do most OOS people get some money? i haven't heard anything yet :( i certainly wouldn't pay OOS tuition when i have my own state school.

They do keep track re: the Thank You notes.

If you send one and then check your Michigan application page, it'll have a little "Thank You Note" and a check mark next to it in the Additional Materials section.

See? It's not a deal-breaker, but they pay attention! We Midwestern folks are all about manners, after all. :laugh:

Any in state people get some scholarship love? amount? Thanks

They do keep track re: the Thank You notes.

If you send one and then check your Michigan application page, it'll have a little "Thank You Note" and a check mark next to it in the Additional Materials section.

See? It's not a deal-breaker, but they pay attention! We Midwestern folks are all about manners, after all. :laugh:

:confused:

Any in state people get some scholarship love? amount? Thanks

I'm in state and received a scholarship offer Sunday night. I'd rather not disclose the amount, but it was enough to essentially cement my decision! Planning to go blue!

Also, see twitter post today: thank you notes are NOT a deal breaker or a factor at all. The check mark on your status page is simply to let you know your note arrived (it's meant to be a stress reliever, not inducer!). I for one did not send Michigan thank you notes and things worked out just fine!

I find it interesting that they sent out scholarships today. Personally, I would think that other acceptances would play a fair role in deciding scholarships for some applicants. Today is when many people heard back from other top 10 schools so you would think that they would wait to take that into account. Oh well.

Also, I feel you Beta (I think it was you). I feel sort of slighted paying 45k a year for a spot when others have to pay only 20-25k. (dont get me wrong, I understand that it is a state school and I would definitely not complain about having to pay less for my Cali schools). Right now I have two great acceptances both around 45k a year, however the other school is private and everyone pays the same. The feeling of paying the same for the same education does play a role in my decision making. (Given, the 2 schools have to be fairly well matched for it to even matter though)

I find it interesting that they sent out scholarships today. Personally, I would think that other acceptances would play a fair role in deciding scholarships for some applicants. Today is when many people heard back from other top 10 schools so you would think that they would wait to take that into account. Oh well.

Also, I feel you Beta (I think it was you). I feel sort of slighted paying 45k a year for a spot when others have to pay only 20-25k. (dont get me wrong, I understand that it is a state school and I would definitely not complain about having to pay less for my Cali schools). Right now I have two great acceptances both around 45k a year, however the other school is private and everyone pays the same. The feeling of paying the same for the same education does play a role in my decision making. (Given, the 2 schools have to be fairly well matched for it to even matter though)

Can someone explain to me this concept of not wanting to attend a school where students are paying different amounts of money for the same education? There are plenty of other schools that offer merit scholarships like Penn, Duke, WashU, Vandy. And yet only on the Michigan thread am I hearing this concept of being offended that students pay different amounts for the same education. How can that affect how you perceive the school? Isn't it obvious that schools offer merit scholarships to candidates they want the most? Why would that deter you from attending a top 10 school like Michigan. I can understand how finances factor into the decision process, and that one might want to attend a school that offers some sort of aid. What I don't understand is why other students receiving merit aid should detract from your wanting to attend a particular school. Wherever you go, you will ALWAYS encounter students who pay less for their education, based on either need-based or merit aid.

So, I guess the thing you misunderstood from my post was that it was about the merit based scholarships. I was more talking about in-state vs OOS tuition differences. Obviously scholarships go to those who deserve/need them and I have nothing against those who get them.

Also, this is purely speculative. I understand why there is IS vs OOS tuition but was just throwing in my 2 cents about how it might play a role in my final decisions.

Can someone explain to me this concept of not wanting to attend a school where students are paying different amounts of money for the same education? There are plenty of other schools that offer merit scholarships like Penn, Duke, WashU, Vandy. And yet only on the Michigan thread am I hearing this concept of being offended that students pay different amounts for the same education. How can that affect how you perceive the school? Isn't it obvious that schools offer merit scholarships to candidates they want the most? Why would that deter you from attending a top 10 school like Michigan. I can understand how finances factor into the decision process, and that one might want to attend a school that offers some sort of aid. What I don't understand is why other students receiving merit aid should detract from your wanting to attend a particular school. Wherever you go, you will ALWAYS encounter students who pay less for their education, based on either need-based or merit aid.

Even so, i still fail to understand is why paying OOS tuition compared to in-staters paying in-state tuition should detract you from Michigan? All state schools have reduced in-state tuition. Just curious, because I never see this issue being brought up on the UCSF, UCLA, or UCSD threads.

Yea, I mean I understand that really, the tuition is coming from state taxes and everything. Also, like I said I would totally not mind paying less for a cali school. After discussing it with my friends, I have found that it boils down to jealousy that I cant take advantage of the same thing :). Again, it is not anything that would seriously have any effect on my decisions. I just find it an interesting feeling. Honestly it feels silly but who wouldn't be jealous of people paying 20k less even though you understand the how and why.

Even so, i still fail to understand is why paying OOS tuition compared to in-staters paying in-state tuition should detract you from Michigan? All state schools have reduced in-state tuition. Just curious, because I never see this issue being brought up on the UCSF, UCLA, or UCSD threads.

California schools allow you to have in-state tuition after one year (UCSF and to an extent UCLA are the only two in-state friendly UC schools anyway). Michigan does not. Michigan has the IS and OOS tuition discrepancy without the possibility of ever reducing the gap because no one can ever get Michigan residency. I personally thought Michigan gave more merit aid than it did, I did not think I was entitled to it.

Merit scholarships are one thing, people earned them. However, because I am a resident of another state, I have to pay twice as much for the same education as someone who was born in Michigan. This issue is rare as most state schools just take their own residents. My problem with this is fairly simple: if you walked into your grocery store and had to pay 2x as much for milk because you lived 2 miles away and the guy ahead of you in line paid the regular price because he lived 1 mile away, you'd notice, would not like it, and you'd probably shop at your local grocery store. Obviously that's not enough to deter me from Michigan, but I can't help but notice a disparity. I knew that there was a disparity going into this, so I'm not complaining. I just always thought there was more money to ease the out-of-state peoples' tuition woes.

As an aside: Michigan is a fine school and the admissions office never misled me, but if it were up to me I would use merit aid to attract out-of-state people exclusively. In-state people are essentially given a $20,000+ per year scholarship just for being Michigan residents anyway. That's not to say none of them deserve a merit scholarship, but Michigan is already probably the cheapest option for them. Merit scholarships seem more business-like than anything; they are used to attract the talent Michigan wants. I don't see the point in overpaying an in-state kid who would probably not be turning Michigan down for financial reasons as it is. There is an equilibrium here (which would necessitate some very complex math) to get more aid to more people.

Last edited:
I don't see the point in overpaying an in-state kid who would probably not be turning Michigan down for financial reasons as it is. There is an equilibrium here (which would necessitate some very complex math) to get more aid to more people.

As a public school Michigan is vested in trying to train Michigan residents who are more likely than OOS applicants to stay in Michigan or return to Michigan later in life.

Although I hear where you are coming from Beta Cell, I do think that merit scholarships for in state students play a significant role in retaining Michigan residents UMMS deems highly desirable. Until I received my offer I was torn between Michigan and two other out of state options (one public, one private, both significantly more expensive than in state tuition) and without aid was starting to really lean toward one of those other options. With the added tuition incentive the scales were tipped and ultimately Michigan won out.

I think a lot of aid does likely go toward luring OOS talent, but ultimately merit aid at Michigan is dispersed based on the internal rankings admissions determines through scoring applicants for admissions (hence why other acceptances aren't necessarily something Michigan needed to wait to know about, though maybe that factors into later rounds of scholarship distribution).

To those who thought they'd receive something--I'd be careful to get too down on Michigan just yet-- they're dispersing it incrementally. At the interview it sounded like 40% of the incoming class had some kind of aid-- more is certainly on the way!

As a public school Michigan is vested in trying to train Michigan residents who are more likely than OOS applicants to stay in Michigan or return to Michigan later in life.

Although I hear where you are coming from Beta Cell, I do think that merit scholarships for in state students play a significant role in retaining Michigan residents UMMS deems highly desirable. Until I received my offer I was torn between Michigan and two other out of state options (one public, one private, both significantly more expensive than in state tuition) and without aid was starting to really lean toward one of those other options. With the added tuition incentive the scales were tipped and ultimately Michigan won out.

I think a lot of aid does likely go toward luring OOS talent, but ultimately merit aid at Michigan is dispersed based on the internal rankings admissions determines through scoring applicants for admissions (hence why other acceptances aren't necessarily something Michigan needed to wait to know about, though maybe that factors into later rounds of scholarship distribution).

To those who thought they'd receive something--I'd be careful to get too down on Michigan just yet-- they're dispersing it incrementally. At the interview it sounded like 40% of the incoming class had some kind of aid-- more is certainly on the way!

Ah yes, that's where I heard the figure. I knew I had heard of an astoundingly large figure from somewhere. Thanks for that!

I feel bad knowing UM follows this thread and will read this extremely petty IS vs OOS argument.

PS If it makes you feels better, the IS kids grew up having to follow the Detroit Lions. Everyone deserves a 'break'.

i'm 100% with you beta. several of the other top state systems give oos people a break, either immediately (texas) or after one year (cali and ny). the most frustrating part of it for me is also never having the chance to get in-state in michigan. i am not trying to detract in any way from the successes of others or suggest that in-state people don't deserve their lowered tuition (they certainly do for paying taxes)...the thing i don't understand is why the admissions office wouldn't at least use part of the money to level the playing field for the oos people. what will happen as a result is that all the oos people with their own in-state offers will turn down michigan, meaning that most (except those with scholly) of the oos people at michigan will be paying full freight for four years. joy.

California schools allow you to have in-state tuition after one year (UCSF and to an extent UCLA are the only two in-state friendly UC schools anyway). Michigan does not. Michigan has the IS and OOS tuition discrepancy without the possibility of ever reducing the gap because no one can ever get Michigan residency. I personally thought Michigan gave more merit aid than it did, I did not think I was entitled to it.

Last edited:
I'm super excited for 2nd look. Michigan is my number 1 choice right now, everyone there is so nice, friendly, and warm. I've never felt anything like that at another school. On my interview day my student host was extremely chill and took me around the entire day on a one on one tour of the campus and ann arbor. Just shows you how nice the community is (and how much free-time they have!) Definitely more laid-back than similarly-ranked Duke and Yale.

I just can't wait to see what financial aid I get.

Does anyone know if we can use some of the "transportation expenses" financial aid for buying a car? I'm a costco fanatic and will need one when living in AA. Also, since I'm taking time off for a couple months before UM starts and have almost zero money of my own saved up, does anyone know when financial aid will be disbursed? I"m hoping it's a few weeks before classes start.

I'm super excited for 2nd look. Michigan is my number 1 choice right now, everyone there is so nice, friendly, and warm. I've never felt anything like that at another school. On my interview day my student host was extremely chill and took me around the entire day on a one on one tour of the campus and ann arbor. Just shows you how nice the community is (and how much free-time they have!) Definitely more laid-back than similarly-ranked Duke and Yale.

Does anyone know if we can use some of the "transportation expenses" financial aid for buying a car? I'm a costco fanatic and will need one when living in AA. Also, since I'm taking time off for a couple months before UM starts and have almost zero money of my own saved up, does anyone know when financial aid will be disbursed? I"m hoping it's a few weeks before classes start.

My understanding is that you can request loans with a maximum value of the reported cost of attendance. In theory there are certain things you can't use that money for, but if graduate financial aid is anything like undergraduate financial aid, the money is essentially disbursed with you and you're expected to use it as you need.

FYI, the financial aid office says that if you want an early estimate of your package, you need to contact the M1 finaid coordinator directly. If not, they won't process incoming students' stuff until May.

I'm excited for second look! Hopefully it'll get warmer here by then. :(

Thanks guys, I emailed the financial aid department about the early-processing, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

What does everyone else like/dislike about UMich?

Anyone get an aid estimate yet??

for pros/con

Flexibility big plus.

Weather not so much :cool:

I received my estimate. Less than I thought I'd get but with nothing to compare it to yet I have no idea if its good or not. Hopefully ill hear from other schools soon also.

Status
Not open for further replies.