2010-2011 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else's BAMF wigging out? I can't even get to the log in page...

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody know any good apartments which med students stay at? or any good apartments in general?

I have been looking at The Distrct on Luther and 2818 Place but there are crap reviews everywhere I look. thanks in advance :)

anybody know any good apartments which med students stay at? or any good apartments in general?

I have been looking at The Distrct on Luther and 2818 Place but there are crap reviews everywhere I look. thanks in advance :)

i'd say a majority of the med students live at either presidio or royal oaks. i personally live at presidio and love it; it's pretty close to either the old or new campus, and there aren't many undergrads around

has anyone gotten an email confirmation from A&M yet about the match results?

has anyone gotten an email confirmation from A&M yet about the match results?

Matched this morning! I have not received anything yet.

EDIT: Is there a facebook group yet?

yes there is, I'd copy and paste a link but I can't open facebook @ work :D

Looks like this school will be my home for the next 4 years!

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like it will be mine as well, unless the waitlist moves me around. I am going to make the best of it as Texas A&M is quite a school, and Im excited about the opportunities here.

Do you guys think they will send us a packet soon? Right after my interview I lost all of my stuff, and I'm wanting to look through it all right now. :(

Do you guys think they will send us a packet soon? Right after my interview I lost all of my stuff, and I'm wanting to look through it all right now. :(
They just sent an email saying they over-accepted the class and are asking people to defer for a scholarship. It's a quite a few people. They accepted 250 and class size is 170

They just sent an email saying they over-accepted the class and are asking people to defer for a scholarship. It's a quite a few people. They accepted 250 and class size is 170

Dwhat? I'm not waiting on an offer but this just seems like bad planning.

Ya. The options are defer for the scholarship and get your first choice campus, defer and get automatic/serious consideration to one of the dual degree programs with the scholarship, or not to defer at all. The scholarship is $2000. I just don't think that many people will defer...even with people getting accepted to other schools.

Oh another option is a one year research experience at Scott and white. With a $5000 stipend

I'm OOS, PRAYING for an opportunity to attend this school... this can't be good news :(:(:(

I don't understand how they overbooked by so much, but I'd hold out until the scholarship offer goes up, at least that's how it happened at UTMB last year.

Ya. The options are defer for the scholarship and get your first choice campus, defer and get automatic/serious consideration to one of the dual degree programs with the scholarship, or not to defer at all. The scholarship is $2000. I just don't think that many people will defer...even with people getting accepted to other schools.

ya especially since 2000 dollars isnt a whole lot and not much of an incentive to waste a yr of life, lol, I did plan on doing an MPH anyways so I might defer and start to work on my MPH rather than have to do it in between 2nd and 3rd yr, although I dont want to wait this yr either and forget all this undergrad basic stuff, also have to discuss it with my wife... hopefully no one will get screwed and get forced to wait a year

I don't understand how they overbooked by so much, but I'd hold out until the scholarship offer goes up, at least that's how it happened at UTMB last year.
Ya I think that's a good idea.

This straight up sucks... 2000 is nothing in the long run. Noone is going to do it with that motivation, and people are gonna get screwed and be forced to defer without compensation. Atleast when utmb did this they had like a year free to defer...

I've already delayed starting medschool a year, and I don't want to do it again, especially with no compensation

Well UTMB ended up offering full tuition/fees to get people to defer, which I'd take in a heartbeat because it just makes great economic sense. 2k/year isn't going to affect your loan repayment, and unless someone wanted to defer anyway I don't see many taking the option.

Well UTMB ended up offering full tuition/fees to get people to defer, which I'd take in a heartbeat because it just makes great economic sense. 2k/year isn't going to affect your loan repayment, and unless someone wanted to defer anyway I don't see many taking the option.
But UTMB had around 20 or so students to defer. A&M has potentially 60 or more students..considering some people actually do get admitted to other schools. Who knows if they have the money for that

But UTMB had around 20 or so students to defer. A&M has potentially 60 or more students..considering some people actually do get admitted to other schools. Who knows if they have the money for that

ummmmm its only 2000 for the first yr, lol, makes it even less of a bargain
"I acknowledge that I will receive a $2,000 scholarship to apply towards my first year of medical school and that I will receive my first choice of campus designation."
:laugh:

ummmmm its only 2000 for the first yr, lol, makes it even less of a bargain
"I acknowledge that I will receive a $2,000 scholarship to apply towards my first year of medical school and that I will receive my first choice of campus designation."
:laugh:
I meant enough money to give a full ride to that many people.

2k straight up? That's almost insulting...

I'm sure things will clear up when people move up waitlists etc.

This is crazy...you get all excited and then another problem creeps up!!

WELL, looks like I won't be getting in to THIS school.

They must have had an idea before the match. It's not fair to lock us in and then say oh, now that you have nowhere else to go, let's make you wait a year! I wish I had ranked other schools higher than A&M now. We're having to pay for their stupid mistake. I thought I was safe and would be going somewhere in July when I prematched here, and now everything is so uncertain :mad:

They must have had an idea before the match. It's not fair to lock us in and then say oh, now that you have nowhere else to go, let's make you wait a year! I wish I had ranked other schools higher than A&M now. We're having to pay for their stupid mistake. I thought I was safe and would be going somewhere in July when I prematched here, and now everything is so uncertain :mad:

Yes!!! seriously, they can't do this to us!! I really wanted to go here and now if we get deferred mandatorily, a whole year is wasted with no compensation!! ugggghhh

Soo...

Lets think about this: they force people to defer April 2nd after not enough people take the offer (because honestly not that many people are going to take it unless they wanted to defer anyway-- it's just plain dumb).

Then, since schools keep their waitlists open until orientation, more people end up going to other schools after some students have been forced to defer. Are they then going to randomly let students back into A&M after randomly selecting them to defer? It would be like getting off of a waitlist you didnt deserve to be on.

This is infuriating. :mad::mad::mad:

I hope that none of you have to get deferred. Unfortunately with only 20 students leaving because of waitlists, there is a 26% chance of that happening at worse (32% if noone leaves). So I guess it could get better. Here's to many students taking the deal and also many getting into others through waitlists!

looks like it'll be hard to get into A&M next year with all the deferred holding slots.

Yeah no one mentioned the lottery deferral earlier but a friend just told me about it.

I for one would be pissed off if I had chosen A&M only to be forced to defer with no equitable compensation. The administration should be ashamed of themselves.

Well, that sucks... now I know I won't be getting off the wait list here if I get on it... :(
Are they going to mandate that people defer? If people don't volunteer are they going to start assigning people to defer? Man, that's a bad situation to be in; they really should have told y'all before the match. Wow. I'm really sorry.

Well, that sucks... now I know I won't be getting off the wait list here if I get on it... :(
Are they going to mandate that people defer? If people don't volunteer are they going to start assigning people to defer? Man, that's a bad situation to be in; they really should have told y'all before the match. Wow. I'm really sorry.

Yea, they said that if people don't defer by April 1 then they are gonna randomly chose people and mandate them to defer.

I have kind of a stupid question but under the circumstances I have to ask I guess..I actually prematched at Tech Lubbock but ranked a&m higher. I was wondering if I could beg Tech to take me back?? Could a&m ask Tech to take me back since they are all linked by tmdsas and not just some random school asking another school to accept students back??

Because on my Merlin tech page it says

You have declined your admissions offer.

If you would still like to accept the offer, please contact the admissions office.

I can't believe thay would do this to so many people..Like someone said earlier about a chance that 35% getting deferred..We have a higher chance of getting deferred than we had a chance of acceptance after the interview..:(

I have kind of a stupid question but under the circumstances I have to ask I guess..I actually prematched at Tech Lubbock but ranked a&m higher. I was wondering if I could beg Tech to take me back?? Could a&m ask Tech to take me back since they are all linked by tmdsas and not just some random school asking another school to accept students back??

Because on my Merlin tech page it says

You have declined your admissions offer.

If you would still like to accept the offer, please contact the admissions office.

I can't believe thay would do this to so many people..Like someone said earlier about a chance that 35% getting deferred..We have a higher chance of getting deferred than we had a chance of acceptance after the interview..:(

If I were you I would at least try!

If I were you I would at least try!

I don't know if that is the right procedure though..to contact Tech after match. What could I possibly tell them..I just realized that A&M is actually a shoddy school and I should have been smarter and picked Tech over A&M??

I want to contact a&m but I am just worried that I will be "randomly" selected during the deferral if I piss them off too much. I am sure they are already a ton of angry emails and phone calls about this.
And now they want us to write an email explaining why we don't want a deferral and why we don't deserve to be treated like cr@p.

Btw..I have never won anything in my life through lottery till now even if there were two people..but guess what?? in this deferral lottery my name will probably be the first to come out(lucky me!!)

I just hope that they don't have to go to the mandatory deferral stage. I know how hard, not just me, but everyone else who got to this position worked to get here.

Last edited:
I didn't match any where and I didn't even get an interview at A&M but I can understand the frustration this causes for those that matched here. This is ridiculous.

I'm sorry for all of you dealing with this. I pre-matched to A&M but withdrew my application. I don't understand how they could overaccept that many people. When UTMB did this, I could understand the situation because they thought they would have lower matriculation due to the hurricane, but there is no excuse for this at A&M. A&M is going to have to do a lot to make this up to all of you. If they think people would defer for $2000, they are crazy. I hope this all work out ok. Good luck you guys!

Just got the following email:

Although we have filled the class of 2015 at this time, the admissions committee invites you to take a place on its Alternate List. To confirm or decline your place on the alternate list, you will have to return to us the acknowledgment form attached to this E-mail. Please complete the form and return it to us by February 18, 2011. Congratulations on being selected as an alternate!

Then I was told that as an OOS student, chances of getting selected are very slim. I guess A&M won't be in my future... I wish all of you the best though!

So I was planning on looking into some apartments this morning to see if I could find some early cheap deals but now that I actually might not be going to medical school this year I don't really know what to do.

Also, what constitutes a 'justification for declining deferral'. I'm pretty sure that every pre-health student thoroughly considered the option of deferral before actually applying. For traditional applicants like me that haven't taken years off, what else can I say except 'Dear adcom, I would not like to defer a year because I would not like to defer a year. Thanks.'

what a major oversight.

I got the alternate list email too.
I doubt anything comes of it though with all this going on with the accepted people... dang.

Just got the following email:

Although we have filled the class of 2015 at this time, the admissions committee invites you to take a place on its Alternate List. To confirm or decline your place on the alternate list, you will have to return to us the acknowledgment form attached to this E-mail. Please complete the form and return it to us by February 18, 2011. Congratulations on being selected as an alternate!

Then I was told that as an OOS student, chances of getting selected are very slim. I guess A&M won't be in my future... I wish all of you the best though!

This just made me laugh..are they honestly thinking about what they are saying?? Cuz they said they have to kick out 80 people who got accepted and now they are making an alternate list???? I reallly don't understand the reason behind sending the alternate list email today to oos students..
Not everyone is on sdn and many oos people might not know that a&m accepted too many people..by giving oos students an option of alternate list a&m is giving people false hope..shame on them. unless they kick out accepted students during random deferral and give those seats to oos alternate list.

So I was planning on looking into some apartments this morning to see if I could find some early cheap deals but now that I actually might not be going to medical school this year I don't really know what to do.

Also, what constitutes a 'justification for declining deferral'. I'm pretty sure that every pre-health student thoroughly considered the option of deferral before actually applying. For traditional applicants like me that haven't taken years off, what else can I say except 'Dear adcom, I would not like to defer a year because I would not like to defer a year. Thanks.'

what a major oversight.

Right? What do I tell them...Dear Adcom....i am already in a year off b/c i graduated in 2010 so i don't want another year off b/c i already had one...oh and b/c i applied for the class of 2011 which you accepted me for....if i wanted to go in 2012 i would have applied for the class of 2012. Thanks!

Right? What do I tell them...Dear Adcom....i am already in a year off b/c i graduated in 2010 so i don't want another year off b/c i already had one...oh and b/c i applied for the class of 2011 which you accepted me for....if i wanted to go in 2012 i would have applied for the class of 2012. Thanks!

Your reason should be that you chose to rank A&M higher than another school where you held a prematch because you wanted to attend A&M in 2011, not 2012.

I can't believe they're making y'all justify your reason for wanting to keep the spot that you earned. So sorry that y'all are having to deal with this :(

Status
Not open for further replies.