2010-2011 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they always e-mail before you are under consideration by the committee? I interviewed in early November and haven't heard anything back yet. I was hoping to be considered for the Feb or March cycle, but never received such an e-mail.

In cleaning out my e-mail today I found that e-mail. Slight relief, but it still means I've been waiting since Nov!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received acceptance letters from this month's cycle yet? I live in Indiana about 2 hours outside of Indy so I assumed it would only take a day or two for the letter to get here...

nothing yet...I live in Bloomington, so an hour from Indy. Was expecting a letter this round...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just got the second look email message. The point of it is to recruit you, so the school does it best to sell you the school in hopes you decide to attend there. I'm an URM, but I think everyone accepted gets invited regardless! :) I haven't received the letter by mail yet however...maybe 'cause I'm all the way in Cali? I wanted to confirm I've been accepted but the office was closed (3 hr time difference=annoying). I hope it's not a mistake 'cause I'm completely ecstatic!!!!!! It says "Dear Ms. 'my last name' "...so :soexcited::highfive:

I got the "Second Look" invitation as well, but have not received an acceptance letter yet. I called the admissions office today and she said that she can't specifically tell me that I've been accepted, but she could tell me that I am definitely invited to the "Second Look" and that a letter was sent out earlier this week. I think I'm in!!!!

Yeah, I'd say the best thing to do is just be patient. It seems like there is a lot of variability in the time it takes for the piece to reach its destination.

Again, good luck to everyone this round!

So, I never got an email for the second look and I was accepted back in November. Wonder who is getting selected fot it?

has anyone received confirmation that they'd be going to second look (april 8)? the e-mail i got said that only the first 30 people that confirmed would be going for sure and everybody that e-mailed after would be placed on an alternate list.

So, I never got an email for the second look and I was accepted back in November. Wonder who is getting selected fot it?

I have the same question. I got accepted back in december, but I haven't heard anything about a 2nd look. It'd be nice to go and compare Indy (which is my desired IU destination) to the other med school where I am going for a 2nd look. Oh well...

Has anyone gotten letters this cycle? I'm assuming you would have shared the happy news. It seems like it's late for letters to be getting out.

I just got my acceptance letter today! Not sure if I'll be committing there or not, but this is my first full acceptance letter so I am psyched to be going to such a great school. Anyone interested in the Notre Dame campus?

I just got my acceptance letter today! Not sure if I'll be committing there or not, but this is my first full acceptance letter so I am psyched to be going to such a great school. Anyone interested in the Notre Dame campus?

Obviously, I wouldn't mind and it is actually my second choice to Indy. I'm not completely sold on the TBL that is done at the ND campus and I think Id like a more traditional curriculum better but being back at ND for 2-4 more years would be awesome!

nothing yet...I live in Bloomington, so an hour from Indy. Was expecting a letter this round...

did you hear anything yet btricycle?? how about anyone else? for those of you who have received letters this cycle, where are you from?

it seems like getting a letter yet this month seems pretty doubful since i'm only 2 hours from campus :( i know sometimes though people receive the letters pretty late. anyone else still holding out hope??

Obviously, I wouldn't mind and it is actually my second choice to Indy. I'm not completely sold on the TBL that is done at the ND campus and I think Id like a more traditional curriculum better but being back at ND for 2-4 more years would be awesome!

i'm a believer in TBL and their block scheduling, but indianapolis has some amazing facilities, so it's kind of tough to decide. My acceptance packet really didn't have any forms to submit, just the letter and an information sheet with a return envelope, did anyone have that same issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a believer in TBL and their block scheduling, but indianapolis has some amazing facilities, so it's kind of tough to decide. My acceptance packet really didn't have any forms to submit, just the letter and an information sheet with a return envelope, did anyone have that same issue?

Yeah, I think that's the standard way of acceptance for Indiana. Hold on to that envelope. In a few days, you should get a couple of emails that will have forms attached that need to be mailed in too. I just wrote my acceptance letter and printed those forms out and mailed everything together in that envelope that came with your acceptance. Congrats BTW!

Yeah, I think that's the standard way of acceptance for Indiana. Hold on to that envelope. In a few days, you should get a couple of emails that will have forms attached that need to be mailed in too. I just wrote my acceptance letter and printed those forms out and mailed everything together in that envelope that came with your acceptance. Congrats BTW!

Thanks for the info! I'll hold onto it until I get more forms. I think I'm just about sold on SB campus, I think Notre Dame campus is beautiful and I like its proximity to Chicago (family there). Very excited, it's been a wild ride to get here.

did you hear anything yet btricycle?? how about anyone else? for those of you who have received letters this cycle, where are you from?

it seems like getting a letter yet this month seems pretty doubful since i'm only 2 hours from campus :( i know sometimes though people receive the letters pretty late. anyone else still holding out hope??

No letters here....hoping the 60-70 degree weather made the admissions dept enjoy a few days outside and they sent letters out Friday...

ok now I'm just grasping at straws.

No letters here....hoping the 60-70 degree weather made the admissions dept enjoy a few days outside and they sent letters out Friday...

ok now I'm just grasping at straws.

Ok, that's what I'm thinking too! Actually they aren't THAT late, but of course it's President's Day so we have to be in agony another day while our letters sit at the post office (oh yes, they ARE there.)

No letter here yet either.. I will think happy thoughts like you guys and pray that the letters are just coming late :) anyone thinking about the FW campus if accepted??

Hey, I hope you get some good news this week. Have you been accepted anywhere else?

I haven't been accepted anywhere else yet.. IU is my number one choice by far though; so that's the school I'm banking on which would make me extremelyy happy.

I haven't been accepted anywhere else yet.. IU is my number one choice by far though; so that's the school I'm banking on which would make me extremelyy happy.

It takes most medical school matriculants at least 2 years to get in. I've been working on getting into medical school for 4 years, as I had a previous career as a nuclear engineer for the Navy on a submarine. It was a pride swallowing experience and very defeating at times, getting rejected for 2 straight years from everywhere. I recommend diversifying your application as much as possible, get as much clinical volunteering as possible, and possibly get another degree (like an M.S. or MPH). Publications help too, as first author especially. If nothing else, go have a kick ass adventure in the next year. I'll be 31 when I matriculate this fall, so have faith everyone, this isn't the end of the line. Get in as early as possible next application cycle. Remember, if you apply to 20 schools, you only need 19 rejections!!

So I turned in my campus pref form today and put bloomington first. Does anyone know if it's full yet and how life is up there? I'm from GA and sorta threw a dart on this one

So I turned in my campus pref form today and put bloomington first. Does anyone know if it's full yet and how life is up there? I'm from GA and sorta threw a dart on this one
In order to determine if the campus is full yet, it wouldn't hurt to contact somebody working at that campus itself. You could just ask them if they could tell you if there are spots open, if they can't tell you, so be it, but at least you tried.

Any accepted students going to the second look on April 8th?

I called admissions and was told that they cant released why they picked certain students to come to second look. Also, if you werent invited than you cant come. That's a bummer. I plan on going up to indy in April anyway to get a apartment. Anybody have great suggestions?

I called admissions and was told that they cant released why they picked certain students to come to second look. Also, if you werent invited than you cant come. That's a bummer. I plan on going up to indy in April anyway to get a apartment. Anybody have great suggestions?

I think we ruled out minority status and state residency as factors in who was invited, but it is very strange that not everyone can come for Second Look. Maybe they invited people they think are on the fence and might not matriculate?

How do you know that you're going to be in Indy already? I thought that if you chose Indy on the campus assignment form, you go into the lottery that will take place in March or something like that, no? Did this lottery already happen?!

Just an FYI I know 8 people that got into IU on the 17th of this month. They were all minorities in the IU minority program. So people did get in they just don't come on studentdoctor.net.

Just an FYI I know 8 people that got into IU on the 17th of this month. They were all minorities in the IU minority program. So people did get in they just don't come on studentdoctor.net.

that is an odd comment. It'd be wise to think twice before you post stuff, I got into IU on the 17th, interviewed on Jan. 5th. I also am underrepresented in medicine, but am positive my qualifications got me into medical school.

that is an odd comment. It'd be wise to think twice before you post stuff, I got into IU on the 17th, interviewed on Jan. 5th. I also am underrepresented in medicine, but am positive my qualifications got me into medical school.

I don't think they meant it in that context. To me, the post reads that people got in on the 17th of this month but they were people that do not frequent sdn. It seems the comment was made to show people were accepted since from forum posts it looks like not many people were accepted this month. I think saying they were minorities was just describing the people he knows and not saying that because they are minorities they got in.

Just my opinion of what they wrote. I'm a minority as well.

I don't think they meant it in that context. To me, the post reads that people got in on the 17th of this month but they were people that do not frequent sdn. It seems the comment was made to show people were accepted since from forum posts it looks like not many people were accepted this month. I think saying they were minorities was just describing the people he knows and not saying that because they are minorities they got in.

Just my opinion of what they wrote. I'm a minority as well.

roger that, that is what i thought. in the cyber world, it's easy to get things out of context. regardless, it was an inaccurate assumption. i've been off and on sdn for 3 years. i understand someone trying to lend solace to those still waiting to hear, however, no need to make assumptions that aren't correct... let's just all hope for the best.

Did you interview in the morning or afternoon? I interviewed on the 5th as well, and got some love from IU on the 17th as well.

Did you interview in the morning or afternoon? I interviewed on the 5th as well, and got some love from IU on the 17th as well.

I interviewed in the afternoon with the dean of the terre haute campus, pretty awesome guy, it was a great conversation. I just sent my campus preference in, listing South Bend as #1. Congrats!!

You need to take a min and think before you start commenting about people's posting and making everything about race. During the week of the 17th, no one posted anything about getting accepted into IU and some people were worried. All I meant to say was that people got in that week and they just didn't come on sdn to post. Also I was thinking maybe they just focused on the minorities this month. I am a minority myself and I will never post anything that will offend anyone regardless on their race.

Come on now, let's just get along. All of it is attributable to a simple misunderstanding.

You need to take a min and think before you start commenting about people's posting and making everything about race. During the week of the 17th, no one posted anything about getting accepted into IU and some people were worried. All I meant to say was that people got in that week and they just didn't come on sdn to post. Also I was thinking maybe they just focused on the minorities this month. I am a minority myself and I will never post anything that will offend anyone regardless on their race.

I seriously doubt that they set aside a certain week to inform minorities of their acceptance, or certain months for interviews. That would be highly ILLEGAL of any school system to do that, or anyone else for that matter. I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, and things can be taken out of context (as I've already posted and accepted that fact) in email posts.

Still playing the "no news is good news" waiting game.
March 17th can't come soon enough

Same here btricycle!! The post office played a mean trick on me last month. I had a key in my mailbox around the 19th which meant I received something too big to fit in my box. My heart was pounding so hard during my drive to the bigger post boxes! I opened the box up and there it was, a big white envelope! But, as I eagerly pulled it out of the box and grasped what I thought to be my golden ticket to IU, I realized that it was my diploma from my undergrad university! What a bummer!! Here's to next month :)

And indianachelsey, I'm definitely going for the Fort Wayne campus if I get accepted...no...WHEN I get accepted. Haha.

iheartiu said:
I'm definitely going for the Fort Wayne campus if I get accepted...no...WHEN I get accepted. Haha.
That's the attitude! I hope you hear some good news. Why FW? Do you live around there or go to school around there?

I'm banking on Bloomington or Indy WHEN I get accepted. My fiancee is a teacher in Bloomington (and we'll be looking at homes somewhere along SR 37) so hopefully that'll hold some merit on placement.

Interviewed on Jan 5th also...no love.

Yeah, me too! March 17th it is!

:hijacked: Can we please move on? The last thing this thread needs is to turn into page 10 of the Harvard thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=10560324&postcount=453).

Thanks for the gut check, that thread was horrible.

Anyone get a letter from the Muncie campus? Not even close to my top preference, but wondering if that was a recruitment tactic or if they are notifying of campus placement. Seems like a really cool place, but South Bend works out better for me.

Maiden, I hope you do hear some good news! You've been more than courteous on this thread.

Thanks for the gut check, that thread was horrible.

Anyone get a letter from the Muncie campus? Not even close to my top preference, but wondering if that was a recruitment tactic or if they are notifying of campus placement. Seems like a really cool place, but South Bend works out better for me.

I ranked SB first and got the Muncie letter a few days later -- turns out it's just a recruitment tactic -- I was pretty confused thinking I ended up in Muncie somehow -- they will send you an email to confirm campus placement though

I ranked SB first and got the Muncie letter a few days later -- turns out it's just a recruitment tactic -- I was pretty confused thinking I ended up in Muncie somehow -- they will send you an email to confirm campus placement though

That is what i thought too. I had never considered Muncie, but the program seems good. Still got SB as #1.

Anyone know how long it normally takes to be placed after you send in your campus preferences?

Last edited:
What the guy from Harvard is just telling the truth, lets face it, medical school acceptance is quota based. I know women who smokes pot with no prior work experience with 28 MCAT into 10 schools. People wonder why medical outcomes is plummetting in the USA just look at the medical school admissions process. Notwithstanding the doctors at these schools let Washington lawyers dictate their profession, they have only opened 10 new medical schools in the last 40 years. That doesnt sound like leadership or innovation to me. Affirmative action based acceptance destroys talent, you dont have to work to get in if you are of a certian quota group.

Lets face it, this process is quota based, certain groups have substantially lower standards and entry requirements than others period.

What the guy from Harvard is just telling the truth, lets face it, medical school acceptance is quota based. I know women who smokes pot with no prior work experience with 28 MCAT into 10 schools. People wonder why medical outcomes is plummetting in the USA just look at the medical school admissions process. Notwithstanding the doctors at these schools let Washington lawyers dictate their profession, they have only opened 10 new medical schools in the last 40 years. That doesnt sound like leadership or innovation to me. Affirmative action based acceptance destroys talent, you dont have to work to get in if you are of a certian quota group.

sounds like bitter words from an angry person who was rejected too many times from medical schools.

sounds like bitter words from an angry person who was rejected too many times from medical schools.

Sounds like a guy who likes the quota system because he doesnt have to work at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.