2010-2011 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Called admissions and they said they're still sending out acceptance letters on the 15th....Saturday could be a GREAT day even though the weather will be crap for Little 500.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know if this is the first year they have done the lottery for the Indianapolis campus? I am checking my e-mail multiple times a day to see if anything new has come up! ha.

Anybody know if this is the first year they have done the lottery for the Indianapolis campus? I am checking my e-mail multiple times a day to see if anything new has come up! ha.

Sure is -- we're the guinea pigs

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted to the Rural Health program? If so....are you able to choose a specialty during medical school?

Which apartments are the best to live in first year? And can anybody put apartment advice up here for the first years? Thx

Called admissions and they said they're still sending out acceptance letters on the 15th....Saturday could be a GREAT day even though the weather will be crap for Little 500.

did you get any good news yet btricycle??

So I did the regional campus option and was given my 4th or 5th choice...GARY. I'm P. O'ed...does anyone know what kind of recourse I have to change this? I mean, I wanted Indy but picked the regional campus option just to avoid being placed somewhere like this...:mad:

So I did the regional campus option and was given my 4th or 5th choice...GARY. I'm P. O'ed...does anyone know what kind of recourse I have to change this? I mean, I wanted Indy but picked the regional campus option just to avoid being placed somewhere like this...

That is a real bummer....I did the same thing, but I was thinking because I was accepted so late I'd likely get sorted to one of the less-desirable locales. It wouldn't hurt to send a few emails...worst they can say is no...

I hope it works out for you!

So I did the regional campus option and was given my 4th or 5th choice...GARY. I'm P. O'ed...does anyone know what kind of recourse I have to change this? I mean, I wanted Indy but picked the regional campus option just to avoid being placed somewhere like this...:mad:

Do you have another acceptance? You could leverage them by saying you're disappointed with the campus assignment and are considering attending a different school as a result.

There is an appeals process. You will have to write a letter of appeal stating the reasons why you would prefer a specific campus, and they might reassign you. Jose Espada said this on the IUSM 2015 Facebook group.

If you search IUSM 2015 on Facebook, it will show about how many people have gotten placed on certain campuses. You may want to take this into consideration. I'm not sure how accurate these groups are, but it looks like South Bend and Bloomington are pretty full.

Good luck!

There is an appeals process. You will have to write a letter of appeal stating the reasons why you would prefer a specific campus, and they might reassign you. Jose Espada said this on the IUSM 2015 Facebook group.

If you search IUSM 2015 on Facebook, it will show about how many people have gotten placed on certain campuses. You may want to take this into consideration. I'm not sure how accurate these groups are, but it looks like South Bend and Bloomington are pretty full.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, I've contacted some people in the school about this. Hope to get it fixed.
Happy Earth Day

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted this month? I have not heard of any movement and was just wondering!

So did anyone get accepted this round? I didn't. I want to get started on beefing up my application if I don't get in. Would it be premature to ask to meet with the admissions department now or should I wait? Any suggestions?

So did anyone get accepted this round? I didn't. I want to get started on beefing up my application if I don't get in. Would it be premature to ask to meet with the admissions department now or should I wait? Any suggestions?

Nobody I know who is still waiting to hear from the school has been accepted this month. I called the school sometime last week, I think on either the 11th or the 12th, but certainly before the 15th, asking about whether or not they'd be sending more acceptances this month. The woman on the phone responded by saying that they are currently making the alternate list. Has anybody heard of anyone being rejected post-interview yet? I looked on last year's blog and people had been rejected by this point in time.

I know someone who was definitely accepted this month. I also spoke to the admissions office and they said there would be another round in May.

Also, the appeals process for campus assignment has been discontinued

I know someone who was definitely accepted this month. I also spoke to the admissions office and they said there would be another round in May.

Also, the appeals process for campus assignment has been discontinued

Yeah, I just found out today that this is true. They stopped doing the appeals process this year. Sorry, man. Best of luck.

Hey Med students! I wanted to know if anybody has lived at The Maxwell and What was your experience? Thx

Weird...I called on the 15th and the woman on the phone said acceptances were still being sent on the scheduled 15th. Not that it matters at this point but just relaying info....this sucks just tell me I'm rejected already if that's the case. I JUST WANT THEM TO TELL ME SOMETHING!!!

Weird...I called on the 15th and the woman on the phone said acceptances were still being sent on the scheduled 15th. Not that it matters at this point but just relaying info....this sucks just tell me I'm rejected already if that's the case. I JUST WANT THEM TO TELL ME SOMETHING!!!

This.

I feel your pain. This totally sucks. Keep us posted with any other info you come across. #stuckinapplicationpurgatory

Campus assignments for Indy have started being sent out.

Confirm that Indy assignments have been emailed.

@ LTG4166 - I'd say you got screwed. I'm sure that if you knew you'd be rolling the dice with such bad odds of getting your top pic, you'd have tried for Indy. I hope you're able to get something worked out.

I also feel your pain. I've been waiting to hear from this school for the longest time. I interviewed with the school back in September. Stay positive. According to a previous post on here they will be sending out more acceptances in May, that's what I'm hoping for. The best thing to do now is to make good alternative plans for next year. That's what I'm doing.

Hi guys. I'm fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances, and I'm seriously considering IU. I also got placed on the Indianapolis campus. This decision is coming up fast, and I am stressing out about it a bit. I was hoping there may be some current students to answer some of my questions. Sorry for so many!

What is the atmosphere like amongst students? Are they a pretty close-knit group?
Is it a cooperative atmosphere even though exams are usually graded on a curve?
What is the exam format for most classes? Is it similar to the USMLE?
Do many students attend all lectures, or do most learn material on their own time?
Is the faculty supportive, or are there many bad apples?

I am also still in application purgatory... I am hoping that when I get back from my Haiti mission trip on May 19th, there is a letter waiting for me! I have a back up plan, but it would be nice to hear some goods news... I guess no news is still good news at this point..

Does anyone know if it is still possible to defer? What kind of reason do you need?

I haven't heard back either and interviewed last September. Has anyone heard of any Indiana residents getting rejection letters?

In state, IU degree holder and still have heard nothing....

I was told by the office that waitlist letters would be going out late this week. Also, you apparently can still be rejected until June 1. Don't ask me how that works.

With the waitlist being sent out, is there still another round of acceptance letters this month? Does anyone know? Otherwise, I would like to know if i consider myself waitlisted and work on applying to a master's program.. one more round of acceptances would be wonderful news though..

With the waitlist being sent out, is there still another round of acceptance letters this month? Does anyone know? Otherwise, I would like to know if i consider myself waitlisted and work on applying to a master's program.. one more round of acceptances would be wonderful news though..

I'd like to know the same as well. It's been 8 very long months since my interview in September. Have you tried to call the office and ask them? Last time I called the office was in April on either the 12th or 13th and was told that they were making the alternate list and would not specify as to whether or not there would be anymore acceptances sent.

I'd like to know the same as well. It's been 8 very long months since my interview in September. Have you tried to call the office and ask them? Last time I called the office was in April on either the 12th or 13th and was told that they were making the alternate list and would not specify as to whether or not there would be anymore acceptances sent.

I called them April 19th, but I didn't really get any information either. I suppose it's just to wait a couple more weeks until we find out for sure.. I just really hope that there are more acceptances coming out before the waitlist. Good luck to you though!

For those on the waitlist or are waiting on a decision, try to keep the faith. I got off the waitlist in early July so don't lose hope yet. I honestly don't think there is a method to their madness. My stats were above average across the board and I still didn't get off the waitlist until the middle of summer (after I was told there would be no movement). Try to have an alternate plan for next year if things don't work out.

Also, if anyone has any questions about school/life in general, I'd be happy to answer. Otherwise, good luck to all!

Does anyone happen to know the campus situation? Is Fort Wayne's campus full yet? That is where I reallyyy want to attend, but I'm still waiting to hear a final decision. My fear is that if I do end up accepted, that campus might be full already...

Does anyone happen to know the campus situation? Is Fort Wayne's campus full yet? That is where I reallyyy want to attend, but I'm still waiting to hear a final decision. My fear is that if I do end up accepted, that campus might be full already...

According to the IUSM Class of 2015- Fort Wayne facebook group, they have about 20 incoming students assigned to the Fort Wayne campus. That's a decent amount of people, but I don't know how big the class size is.

For students who are accepted from this point on, will they have the location assignments already predetermined? If not how long before you find out? Location will determine if I go to IU.

FYI- got an email this morning that I'm on the alternate list.

i also got an email this morning that i'm on the alternate list. and so the waiting continues...

i'm also curious how campus selection works this late in the game. do they just automatically assign you to a campus? and i know there is no appeals process, but would they let you do something like switch campuses with someone who agrees to it?

i also got an email this morning that i'm on the alternate list. and so the waiting continues...

Cool. That's better than a rejection. Did the alternate list e-mail give any useful information such as the number of people on it, when they typically send out information, etc.?

They said there are around 100 people on the list

i'm also curious how campus selection works this late in the game. do they just automatically assign you to a campus? and i know there is no appeals process, but would they let you do something like switch campuses with someone who agrees to it?

I am in no way sure of this, but I assume at this point we take the campus of whoever dropped. I know that the waitlist is not ranked, that they try to match people off the alternate list with whoever dropped. (I.e., if the person was in the primary care track, they would try to match that and that sort of thing.) I would assume, given this, that the campus assignments would just follow whoever dropped them. However, I like to think that people who are dropping are people who were recruited and given Indy as an incentive but decided to go to Harvard instead-this gives us some hope of any Indy assignment! Again, all conjecture.

Okay. Does IU send their letters via Certified Mail??? I was at the Indy Mini Marathon this morning and found a paper stuck in my door saying I have a certified letter waiting for me to pick up Monday morning. Could this be the elusive letter I have been waiting for?!?!?!

so if i have no acceptance and no alternate list e-mail as of yet, i'm essentially out correct?

so if i have no acceptance and no alternate list e-mail as of yet, i'm essentially out correct?

No I don't think that you are out. Remember what they said in their e-mail, " No notification indicates that your application remains under consideration". If you go on last year's discussion board you'll see that people were given alternate list notifications at various different dates. Hang in there, once you get in this will all be a distant memory :)

Just withdrew my acceptance -- best of luck to those of you on the waitlist!

Just withdrew my application from Indiana. FYI, I was in the Indianapolis Campus... Good luck to everyone!

No waitlist...no alternate list...nary an email or letter.

I'm calling tomorrow (well I guess its later today at this point). Granted I know I'm going to get the same runaround as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.