2009-2010 University of Texas Houston Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone hear back from UTH in October for an interview?

I just got an e-mail today for an interview! WOOHOOO!! I LOVE UT HOUSTON! I would love to get accepted here! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an e-mail today for an interview! WOOHOOO!! I LOVE UT HOUSTON! I would love to get accepted here! :D

Hey Congrats! When were you verified and what are your stats if you don't mind sharing that? Thanks and Good Luck at the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
So who's going to be at the social this Thursday night?

Watch out for Dr. Farnie and his mystical white rock!

What is your interview date if you don't mind me asking? How many days in advance do they give out?

Thanks and Congrats :)

I interviewed back in August, and received 11 calendar days notice.

what is the typical length of time between interview invite and date of interview. its not too late right to have not heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the response. glad to hear its not too late! this is my dream school!!:xf::xf::xf:

When would be the appropriate time to ask or solicit UT Houston for financial aid/scholarship info? I have a couple of out of state acceptances with a scholarship offer and also, since UT Houston doesn't participate much in the pre-match, I could possibly have another Texas acceptance prior to Feb 1. My concern is that for Texas, when ranking the schools for match, I'd like to rank UT Houston first. But naturally I need to take cost into consideration. So if the other Texas school offered me a favorable financial aid package, I would not want to rank UT Houston and possibly get no financial aid outside of loans.

I hope this makes sense.:confused:

Basically, I want to make my decision taking everything into consideration, including financial aid.

You can bet on not paying more than $12k/year if you're in-state at UTH.

They don't often give scholarships. Dr Kellaway will admit that it's one of the weaknesses of the school. By all means go ahead and inquire, but I doubt you'll hear much.

You can bet on not paying more than $12k/year if you're in-state at UTH.

They don't often give scholarships. Dr Kellaway will admit that it's one of the weaknesses of the school. By all means go ahead and inquire, but I doubt you'll hear much.

Thanks for the info:) I think I'll shoot an e-mail to the financial aid office tomorrow. At least now I'll know to make my decision assuming that I'll get no additional aid at UT H. I think it's still my top choice but it sucks that they don't offer much:(

It's definitely something they're trying to work on. We even have "dollars for scholars" day where the current med students donate money towards scholarships for incoming students. The Alumni Association gave 3 scholarships (iirc) away at retreat.

We don't really ask each other about finances much, so I don't know how widespread scholarships are.

Either way, imo, $12k is a REALLY good deal for our school.

What is your interview date if you don't mind me asking? How many days in advance do they give out?

Thanks and Congrats :)

I haven't been on these forums in a while so excuse my late response.

I was verified early August. Interview is 11/20 (so 21 days in advance i guess).

High GPA/avg MCAT/bio major (sorry i'm being so vague but it is interview season)

Does anyone know how often the adcom meets with the interviewers to discuss each applicant? I know Dr. Kellaway mentioned something about Tuesdays, but I can't remember if she said they meet the following Tuesday or the next Tuesday after that.

does anyone know how many oos apply/interview at uth?

do you happen to have the numbers for in-state as well?

According to MSAR 2010-2011,

Instate:

Applicants 3006
Interviewed 1040
Matriculated 210

The MSAR actually says 121 matriculated for Residents. But this must be a typo because the total class is 230, of that 20 were non-residents (18 MD 2 MD/PhD) So that leaves 210 spots for Residents to add up to 230.

Hope this helps.:)

thanks for the numbers even if the oos ones are incredibly depressing :scared:

thanks for the numbers even if the oos ones are incredibly depressing :scared:

According to eduers, the OOS numbers are:
613 applied, 97 interviewed, 25 were accepted, 9 enrolled

So if you got an interview, you're in decent shape! Now if only they would offer me one...

According to MSAR 2010-2011,

Instate:

Applicants 3006
Interviewed 1040
Matriculated 210
Note that of the 1040 interviewed, way more than 210 are offered acceptances. Knowing the number of matriculants isn't that useful since the class size is already known.

Note that of the 1040 interviewed, way more than 210 are offered acceptances. Knowing the number of matriculants isn't that useful since the class size is already known.

:thumbup:Totally agree, knowing the number of offers would be much more useful.

From US News online (Fall 2008 numbers)

Total admissions data 3599 applied, 1140 interviewed, 361 were accepted, 230 enrolled In-state admissions data 3006 applied, 1040 interviewed, 321 were accepted, 212 enrolled Out-of-state admissions data 593 applied, 100 interviewed, 40 were accepted, 18 enrolled
Good luck to all of us.

thanks everyone for the numbers! much appreciated!

did anyone here happen to have Dr. Schatte as an interviewer? :D

From US News online (Fall 2008 numbers)

Good luck to all of us.
The match system must skew these numbers too, right? People who would have been accepted to UT-Houston, but get into another school that they ranked higher would not be counted into the accepted category.Thus, the 361 who were accepted are not necessarily the 361 top applicants who interviewed. I guess this effect is especially present at UTH since they don't accept many people pre-match. Thoughts?

based on previous posts, i assume they send out invites every friday?

The match system must skew these numbers too, right? People who would have been accepted to UT-Houston, but get into another school that they ranked higher would not be counted into the accepted category.Thus, the 361 who were accepted are not necessarily the 361 top applicants who interviewed. I guess this effect is especially present at UTH since they don't accept many people pre-match. Thoughts?
That's right. The match is effectively rolling admissions crammed into a single night, but the process hides a bunch of the statistics that would come out otherwise.

i was verified back in july. i'm assuming they already made the decision not to offer an interview invite to me? how exactly does this process work. I'm so disheartened I feel like calling the admissions for some kind of comfort :/ not a good idea i know!

On the website it says you can email the admissions office to ask for a status update... so I did that early last week and haven't heard anything back. I have heard calling isn't effective either because the admissions office doesn't like it!

I was verified September 1st and have received two interviews but I was really hoping for one from UTH. It is getting pretty late :(

On the website it says you can email the admissions office to ask for a status update... so I did that early last week and haven't heard anything back. I have heard calling isn't effective either because the admissions office doesn't like it!

I was verified September 1st and have received two interviews but I was really hoping for one from UTH. It is getting pretty late :(

Hey don't lose hope yet! UT Houston is interviewing through January so you still have time! :thumbup:

I was verified on June 22nd and I got an email on Oct 30 for an interview this Friday. Nov 13th so don't lose hope. They also said their computer system has been down and they are behind in interviews as well. I have a 4.0 GPA, 28Q with quality ECs. I have interviewed at TCOM, Texas A&M, Tech in Lubbock, Tech in El Paso (in that order) and have not heard from SW, Galveston, or SA.

Longhorn,

That makes me feel so relieved. I have similar stats and to know that it is even possible at this point gives me hope!

Thanks guys!

Reminder: Hang out at 9:30pm at the interview social tomorrow night if you are active on SDF. I am looking forward to meeting y'all!

Good luck!

I don't know what the regular turn out is, so, I just figured when the event ends at 9:30pm it will be easy to say anyone on SDF. Of course, we can bring it up earlier. :)

Armybound, are you coming? I hope so, because I really enjoy your posts. Are you doing any tours on Friday?

I have a 3.3sGPA/3.5cGPA/33MCAT and was verified sep 3. Still have no interviews from any TX schools. Should I stop hoping?

I have a 3.3sGPA/3.5cGPA/33MCAT and was verified sep 3. Still have no interviews from any TX schools. Should I stop hoping?

I don't think you should lose hopes yet. Your GPA is decent and your MCAT is really good for all Texas schools.
My app was verified mid-August, but my last MCAT score did not come in until Oct 13 ( I took the last MCAT for this application cycle, this is my second try). I got a 31. Since then I have gotten invites from TCOM, Texas Tech, UT SW, and Texas A&M.
I assume you're a Texas resident, yes? Have you heard back from any out of state schools?

I don't know what the regular turn out is, so, I just figured when the event ends at 9:30pm it will be easy to say anyone on SDF. Of course, we can bring it up earlier. :)

Armybound, are you coming? I hope so, because I really enjoy your posts. Are you doing any tours on Friday?
Sorry, I probably won't be there tonight and I don't plan on giving tours Friday. I've got a lot of catching up to do with my studying.

Status
Not open for further replies.