2009-2010 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea that really nice building that just built. It has all the four houses located in it. I don't remember what it's called though. Lol JasonE, you are the ultimate Hopkins hater.

I'm just curious, do you like umich???

nah man no hate. im just curious where this place is. is it downtown by the med school?

are you talking about the armstrong building (i think thats what the new place is called)? i thought that was a teaching building

nah man no hate. im just curious where this place is. is it downtown by the med school?

are you talking about the armstrong building (i think thats what the new place is called)? i thought that was a teaching building

yea they do teach in their but they also hold their "houses". I guess they are trying to mimic Hogwarts. Harvard does the same thing. Within each room of the house there's a kitchen, different games, tvs, computers etc. I thought it was kinda neat. Hopefully Umich gets something like that one day.

That is for everyone on the waitlist. This is information for the Class of 2013. It looks as though there should be some waitlist movement this year if these data hold up. They accepted 350 people so far.
Hm, where'd you get the 350 number from? I count 409 from the Accepted Students Picture Profile

Hm, where'd you get the 350 number from? I count 409 from the Accepted Students Picture Profile

I heard the 350 number from somewhere. I don't remember anymore but if you count 409 it must be 409.

Hi guys, I really need help with housing since I will be moving there from out of state. I know Ann Arbor is generally safe.. but i want a safe safe place since I will be living by myself. Here's what I am looking for: 1 bedroom apartment that's about 10 minutes walking distance from the school. Prices below $700 is acceptable to me. Any suggestions? Please help..

yea they do teach in their but they also hold their "houses". I guess they are trying to mimic Hogwarts. Harvard does the same thing. Within each room of the house there's a kitchen, different games, tvs, computers etc. I thought it was kinda neat. Hopefully Umich gets something like that one day.

ooh i was thinking athletic recreation...weight room, bball etc.

Hi guys, I really need help with housing since I will be moving there from out of state. I know Ann Arbor is generally safe.. but i want a safe safe place since I will be living by myself. Here's what I am looking for: 1 bedroom apartment that's about 10 minutes walking distance from the school. Prices below $700 is acceptable to me. Any suggestions? Please help..

It would probably have to be the white coat ghetto... but I also don't know much about Ann Arbor. I was there for less than 24 hours when I interviewed. Maybe post this question on the accepted student facebook page? I'm sure some current students or admin could give you advice.

I heard the 350 number from somewhere. I don't remember anymore but if you count 409 it must be 409.

350 is the figure admissions gave us on interview day, but I guess they ended up accepting 409 in the end.

When the USNWR were published yesterday, I went out and celebrated. It was as if I had gotten into an even better school than before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I answered my own question, the $67 million cancer grant did not count toward this years rankings so hopefully Umich goes up in rankings next year too! The rankings are based on September 2008 - 2009. Here is how I know

From Johns Hopkins thread

"School of Medicine leadership has also taken note once again that there appear to be continuing problems with USN&WR’s ranking methodology and its numbers, particularly in its reporting of National Institutes of Health research funding to medical schools. The USN&WR data do not align with NIH and other public database figures.

USN&WR does not require a standardized approach for institutions, which all self-report their information. Nor does the magazine cross-check self reported information with official databases. The differences could be significant, because the grant dollars account for a substantial part of the weight in the magazine’s calculation of overall rankings.

As one example it may be that some institutions calculated into their totals stimulus grant (ARRA) funding awarded in the last several days of September, 2009. Hopkins did not do so because we only use the official public NIH awards data.

JHM has raised the issue with USN&WR and the magazine has expressed interest in continuous improvement and standardization in its data gathering. “We would hope the magazine will establish standard ways to support rankings using official public agencies such as NIH and other recognized data bases,” Miller adds."

So.. what do you guys think:

I've been accepted to Michigan and NYU, and waitlisted at cornell and columbia.

Come May 15, which should I agree to?

Pros for NYU: location (I really want to be in NYC even for residency)
Pros for Michigan: pretty much only ranking.

I had a better time at NYU but I interviewed here early, so I'm sure that skewed my perception. I'm also doing research at Weill this summer in hopes that it will help my chances on the waitlists. Thoughts? Any help would be great!

I had a better time at NYU but I interviewed here early, so I'm sure that skewed my perception. I'm also doing research at Weill this summer in hopes that it will help my chances on the waitlists. Thoughts? Any help would be great!

Create one of those threads. You would probably get more responses that way. If you didn't really like your visit to UMich I see no reason to go there. I would never follow a school just because of it's rank if there wasn't more to it.

Rankings are really insignificant. Any of these medical schools you mentioned above will provide you with an outstanding education and many, many career opportunities. Since you like NYU for its location and you'll jump through whatever hoops necessary to get into Cornell, follow your gut and enroll in any one of those nyc schools!

Good luck with your choice!

If you know you want to be in NYC and you liked NYU better, I think you should choose NYU.

I don't think it's worth choosing Michigan if "rank" is the only thing that's keeping it as an option. Since you want to do residency in NYC anyway, any bump you get from going to Michigan will probably be matched (or trumped, even) by your ability to do away rotations at NYC schools.

Good luck choosing!

If your only pro for Michigan is ranking, go to NYU. If you want to be in NYC, then go for it. I love Ann Arbor, but it is nothing like NYC.

Don't count on waitlists, your odds are slim. I doubt anything you do this summer will increase your chances by much. By the time you do anything worth reporting to the admissions committee this summer, most or all of the spots will be taken. Just being realistic. Best of luck! :luck:

If your only pro for Michigan is ranking, go to NYU. If you want to be in NYC, then go for it. I love Ann Arbor, but it is nothing like NYC.

Don't count on waitlists, your odds are slim. I doubt anything you do this summer will increase your chances by much. By the time you do anything worth reporting to the admissions committee this summer, most or all of the spots will be taken. Just being realistic. Best of luck! :luck:

So you've settled on UMich then? CONGRATS! :)

Personally, I would choose Umich. Ann Arbor isn't as big as NYU, but has its own feel. Since the undergrad is huge, the city is designed for the university. Almost everyone that I know who has visited college friends in Ann arbor have loved it.

NY is really really expensive. At umich, it'll be easier to maintain a car if you want and you will live in a better place most likely.

Yep! I'm really excited, I think it's going to be an awesome 4 years. Can't wait to meet all our classmates very soon! :D

really? what happened to the financial issues

really? what happened to the financial issues

If you communicate your needs clearly, sometimes people can help. This is one of those situations. We understood each other's situation very clearly and found a mutually acceptable solution that made everyone happy. :thumbup:

Great.

Do you know if ApoK is joining you?

I don't know, I haven't heard anything.

If you communicate your needs clearly, sometimes people can help. This is one of those situations. We understood each other's situation very clearly and found a mutually acceptable solution that made everyone happy. :thumbup:

i'll take that code as they helped you out. nice!

guess all the heat kinda disappeared now.

Good! Michigan is great!

After all the denigrating remarks you made about Michigan and its admission process perhaps it would now be appropriate for you to reevaluate and revise what you said. Please share what changed your opinion to the extent that you are now planning to attend Michigan and apparently benefit from their generosity to OOS students. Those quick to criticize should be equally quick to praise when it is warranted.

My post was meant for Stein, sorry.

After all the denigrating remarks you made about Michigan and its admission process perhaps it would now be appropriate for you to reevaluate and revise what you said. Please share what changed your opinion to the extent that you are now planning to attend Michigan and apparently benefit from their generosity to OOS students. Those quick to criticize should be equally quick to praise when it is warranted.

My post was meant for Stein, sorry.

I'll PM you.

Last edited:

:thumbup:

Thanks for the message Geckoe, I'm just going to post the whole thing on here so people know what's going on. It'll make this much easier. :)

My negative remarks about Michigan were in response to their promises of generous aid to those with low EFC's who are OOS in order to lower the cost of attendance to reasonable levels. When I didn't receive anything on the scholarship release day, I incorrectly assumed that Michigan was asking me to pay the entire $67k cost of attendance, which infuriated me, as my family and I have no money whatsoever. We're talking $300k+ debt when interest is accounted for. I was furious, as I knew how much scholarship money Michigan has to give out.

I did receive a need-based grant the next week, but my comments had already been made, and I regret that I misunderstood that their scholarship release dates were different for need-based and merit-based.

Also, I spoke with Director Ruiz several times over the phone and explained my situation, and he was very understanding. I made a huge mistake, and it wasn't the first and it won't be the last time. I don't think I owe anything to posters on these boards, as everything on here has to be taken with a great deal of salt, and people know that. I did owe Michigan an explanation, and I gave them that explanation both in e-mail form and over the phone with Director Ruiz himself. They most definitely read these forums, and I'm ok with that. It's a public place.

I hope I didn't offend you, or anyone else, and If I did, all I can do is apologize. I'm sorry. Regardless, I'll be attending Michigan next year, so hopefully I'll be able to make it up to my classmates when I meet them very soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions for me.

I wish you the best,
Stein

Thanks for your explanation, it is exactly what I assumed and explains why I was originally baffled by your outrage over the merit money - big difference from need based and it seems you had an honest misunderstanding. Glad it was rectified and that you are excited about going to Michigan.

While I appreciate your explanation to me personally, I think that since you posted public comments, it behooves you to give a brief explanation about your prior erroneous beliefs and statements. It only seems fair to me that you honor Michigan's reputation for integrity since you publicly called it into question.

These boards are perused by many and although they should be taken with the proverbial salt, they do influence people's perceptions. To preserve your own credibility and to set the record straight, please address your situation in a follow-up on the forum.

Thanks for admitting your mistake and best of luck at Michigan. All these experiences contribute to becoming a better person and therefore a better doctor. Your future is bright!

Go Blue!

Thanks for the message Geckoe, I'm just going to post the whole thing on here so people know what's going on. It'll make this much easier. :)

Stein, thanks for the post. Don't get me wrong I'm glad that you were able to recieve some money in your financial situation.

Stein, thanks for the post. Don't get me wrong I'm glad that you were able to recieve some money in your financial situation.

No problem... it definitely did need to be clarified, because in the end Michigan did everything they said they would and more, and I really do not want future applicants to see these forums and get a bad impression about UMich's admissions and financial aid staff. They really are fantastic, understanding people.

Good communication is what got this situation resolved, so if there's a lesson to be learned here it's to always communicate your needs and concerns to those who are in a position to help you. Michigan was by far the most responsive of all the medical schools I applied to, and I think their admissions team does an extraordinary job of making sure applicants know exactly where they stand at any given time.

Any confusion I had was my own fault, I simply panicked and didn't take the time to double-check things before I let loose on SDN. I won't make that mistake again. :oops:

To those on the second look waitlist: This past Thursday i withdrew my name from second look list, so there is a spot for someone wanting to go.

In case anyone was curious how U Mich ranked among residency director scores for 2011. They are tied for 4th. I only included schools that are ranked in the top 25. There are a few schools that have a higher residency director score than mt. sinai and case western

Attachments

• Residency Director Score 2011.xlsx
    14.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Residency Director Score 2011.xls
    39 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
In case anyone was curious how U Mich ranked among residency director scores for 2011. They are tied for 4th. I only included schools that are ranked in the top 25. There are a few schools that have a higher residency director score than mt. sinai and case western

Thank you sir, I was looking for this. I actually did a lot of searching to find the residency director rankings but could only find old ones on SDN. I think this will be useful to people outside of the Michigan forum also.

Second look in 10 daysssss! Can't wait to meet everyone! :D

Any word on the second round of scholarship offers?

so do those on the waitlist have to wait until june 1st or will we hear sooner than that

Does anyone know the dress code for second look?
According to the UM website:
What is the appropriate attire for the weekend?
Casual attire is appropriate for most activities, although you will need professional attire for Saturday’s University Hospital rounds. You will be given a white coat to wear during rounds so jackets are not necessary. You will also be walking quite a bit, so please wear comfortable shoes. You will need business casual attire for Saturday night dinners. Spring temperatures may vary so be sure to check the weather before you leave for Ann Arbor and pack accordingly. For local weather, click here.

The weather that weekend looks kind of cold in my opinion :scared: ... Here's from weather.com:

Thu
May 6
Partly Cloudy
High 66°
Low 47°

Fri
May 7
T-Showers
High 54°
Low 39°

Sat
May 8
Showers
High 56°
Low 37°

Sun
May 9
Mostly Sunny
High 60°
Low 41°

According to the UM website:
What is the appropriate attire for the weekend?
Casual attire is appropriate for most activities, although you will need professional attire for Saturday's University Hospital rounds. You will be given a white coat to wear during rounds so jackets are not necessary. You will also be walking quite a bit, so please wear comfortable shoes. You will need business casual attire for Saturday night dinners. Spring temperatures may vary so be sure to check the weather before you leave for Ann Arbor and pack accordingly. For local weather, click here.

The weather that weekend looks kind of cold in my opinion :scared: ... Here's from weather.com:

Thu
May 6
Partly Cloudy
High 66°
Low 47°

Fri
May 7
T-Showers
High 54°
Low 39°

Sat
May 8
Showers
High 56°
Low 37°

Sun
May 9
Mostly Sunny
High 60°
Low 41°

Thanks!!!! I appreciate it :). I will learn how to read next time ha.

EDIT: And the weather does look pretty cold. Oh well got to get used to that Michigan weather.

Last edited:
Thanks!!!! I appreciate it :). I will learn how to read next time ha.

EDIT: And the weather does look pretty cold. Oh well got to get used to that Michigan weather.

Cold? Where are you guys from?! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.