2009-2010 University of Miami Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My feelings exactly! They need to review the wording on this rejection letter...

I agree that the wording is a bit harsh. It sound like something from an eerily weird Sci fi movie. However, maybe thats their way of saying NO APPEALS as well...

congrats on UMich! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My feelings exactly! They need to review the wording on this rejection letter...

I definitely agree. I received my rejection pre-interview around two days ago. It obviously came a little late in the season, but the wording was the strangest part! Indiana University will be my new home anyway! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the wording is a bit harsh. It sound like something from an eerily weird Sci fi movie. However, maybe thats their way of saying NO APPEALS as well...

congrats on UMich! :)

Thanks! Good luck those of you heading to UMiami! I completed my undergrad there... it was the best four years of my life! ;)

Is the distinction between alternate list and temporary alternate list also made in the email or only in the snail mail letter ?

Is the distinction between alternate list and temporary alternate list also made in the email or only in the snail mail letter ?

From my understanding, just the snail mail letter.

I hate waiting until May 15th to hear from Miami, sigh.

Anyone know how many people are taken off the waitlist historically?

According to the dean during our interview, over 50% of the entering class last year was waitlisted. (I think the actual number he gave was 67%..)

According to the dean during our interview, over 50% of the entering class last year was waitlisted. (I think the actual number he gave was 67%..)

Well, that's hopeful! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
what happens to the current boca students? do they just move to miami now?

and good luck to those still on the wl!

what happens to the current boca students? do they just move to miami now?

and good luck to those still on the wl!

From what I understood, the Class of 2014 Boca students will start at Miami and the previous classes will finish out at Boca....I don't know about their clinical years though.

thx, so do we still have to inform them if we want to attend the "boca" program or not?

thx, so do we still have to inform them if we want to attend the "boca" program or not?

No I don't think so. There is no boca program so its not really your choice anyways lol

dang, i actually really liked pbl, too bad both of my pbl options are no longer options now

For those of you who were placed on the waitlist, how long did it take after receiving the email to get the snail mail letter?

I can't wait for May 15! Good luck to everyone waiting!

Anything going on with Miami? Or is nothing going to happen until May 15 at the earliest?

Anything going on with Miami? Or is nothing going to happen until May 15 at the earliest?

Not much activity that I can tell. Nothing going on here or MDApps anyway...

Anyone know the grading scale for Miami. On the AAMC site it just says (for preclinical grades) Other intervals/exceptions?

Anyone know the grading scale for Miami. On the AAMC site it just says (for preclinical grades) Other intervals/exceptions?

It's a ranked P/F. To me, that's basically an ABCF scale.

So they rank you for each class or you have an overall rank in your class? Sorry for the questions, comparing curriculums

Just wondering if anyone is considering USF and UM as their final two schools? If you like one opposed to the other, what made you have a preference? After seeing both, I think I'd be happy both places and felt like they were both good fits for me, but I'm curious how others view the comparison between the two schools.

So they rank you for each class or you have an overall rank in your class? Sorry for the questions, comparing curriculums

A current med student at UM told me that it's not really P/F, but a grading scale based on percentages. It is kinda like ABCF like dingy says. I'm pretty sure you are ranked based on a percent score for each class.

Anyone else wake up every morning and ask yourself: Am I going to get the call today? LOL.

Does anyone know if Miami has overfilled their class?

Same here. I saw on last year's thread that a lot of people from the temporary waitlist got the call at the end of April though...

They also didn't have the Boca debacle on their hands a year ago though, so that's definitely an influx of kids that they didn't expect. I would think things would move a little slower this year than last.

They also didn't have the Boca debacle on their hands a year ago though, so that's definitely an influx of kids that they didn't expect. I would think things would move a little slower this year than last.

Oh yeah. That's true, very true. Hmmm... Well, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. :xf::):xf:

Anyone else wake up every morning and ask yourself: Am I going to get the call today? LOL.

um...YES! Trying SO hard not to think about it but can't help it!! Definitely learning patience this year... :eek:

Just to clarify about grades, it's really neither pass fail nor is it ABCD (which I guess doesn't clarify at all haha). We get a percentage grade and that's it. There's a histogram posted after each exam and each module that tells you the overall statistics (mean, median, high, low) but if we're ranked then it's news to me and even if it is true then it's certainly not emphasized.

On our transcript all that shows up is the module grade. For instance our first module was made up of Anatomy, Histology, and cell biology. You'll get individual grades for each course and there will be a histogram posted after each test. When the module is done there will also be a histogram posted for each course and each module, but all that will go on your transcript is your overall module grade.

Has anyone received their financial aid package from UM? I feel like I've been waiting forever, and I received mine from all the other schools I was accepted at months ago!

Has anyone received their financial aid package from UM? I feel like I've been waiting forever, and I received mine from all the other schools I was accepted at months ago!

they told me theyre doing system upgrades and itll be available at the end of this week.

What's up with the lack of movement atthese Florida schools?

Last edited:
I don't think there will be any movement at UM until after May 15 at the earliest.

quickly approaching? I feel like it has been so sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Haha, not slow at all for me! Perhaps it's because I'm more dreading it than looking forward to it though :laugh:. I'm just so anxious.

do something to take ur mind off of it, we dont want you to burn out before even entering med school :D besides, you already have some great acceptances, right? its ok to rest on those laurels a little :)

Status
Not open for further replies.