2009-2010 University of Miami Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im applying for the 2010-2011 cycle. Would any matriculants/ applicants mind posting their MCAT and gpas??

UM is my top choice, so ANY tips would be GREATLY APPRECIATED :)

Members don't see this ad.

TURTLE_ you should probally check out the MSAR book and reveiw each school's website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, lyrics, on the wash acceptance!

Thank you!!! It was my first choice and I never thought it would happen! I think I'm still in shock.

Good luck! I hope Miami and UF's (or any other schools ur still waiting on) waitlist movement brings you good news!!

Finally got the call today! Beyond excited to be accepted to UM co 2014!! For all of you waiting on the temp. alt. list, expect a call soon!!!
:D :love: :D

Congrats, Gator22. I interview in October, so there was no temporary alt. list back then, which kinda sucks.

Has anyone else received the call today?

Anyone on the regular alternate list get the call?

Congrats, Gator22. I interview in October, so there was no temporary alt. list back then, which kinda sucks.
Yah, mine was Oct 16. I have no idea what this temp alternate list is. Where do we stand?

Anyone know what a typical week-to-week schedule is like here? Like how long are UM students in lecture/wards/how much free time do they have in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they have accepted anyone off the regular alternate list yet, but if someone does get off the regular list, be sure to post!

I'm on the temp. alternate list and still waiting to hear something. Hopefully the list picks up again sometime soon.

I am so confused, I thought there was supposed to be alot of movement this week in all the FL schools. There doesn't appear to be much "movement" on the forums. I guess people just aren't posting on SDN anymore? :confused:

most ppl dont wait till the 15th to withdraw, movement has already started last week.

most ppl dont wait till the 15th to withdraw, movement has already started last week.

I know movement started last week, but I thought there would be alot of movement by now. I guess it will take a week or two. :confused:

Who knows. It is the mystery of the admissions process. Sit tight!

I know movement started last week, but I thought there would be alot of movement by now. I guess it will take a week or two. :confused:

based on my experiences, it seems like theres been a lot of movement already. idk how much you expected. just sit tight for now, cause movement will continue until orientation. so, good luck :xf:

Right now, being immediately post-May 15th, is the time where the most waitlist movement happens. By waitlist movement, I mean in a nationwide perspective: person A gets off the waitlist at Harvard, whom then leaves behind a spot at WashU. Person B gets the call and fills the WashU seat, leaving behind Northwestern, Person C gets a call ands heads to Northwestern, leaving behind Duke. Person D gets off the waitlist and goes to Duke, leaving behind Miami. Etc. etc. etc. and that type of movement does not happen all at once/overnight. While we were all eagerly anticipating May 15th for months now, I think the truth of the matter is that it will take AT LEAST a couple weeks following May 15th for things to really pan out.. Waitlist movement has just begun! Its a matter of time until the rest of the seats open. Lets let the dust settle a bit before we get disappointed. Moral of the story: stay hopeful- its still early.

Have been reading these threads for a long time but finally broke down and registered so I could say something. Anyone hear anything from UM yesterday or this morning? I'm on this temporary alternate list as well.... my phone has been practically glued to my hand for the past 5 days. I know it's still early, but am just so tired of waiting! The agony! Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those recently accepted!!

Have been reading these threads for a long time but finally broke down and registered so I could say something. Anyone hear anything from UM yesterday or this morning? I'm on this temporary alternate list as well.... my phone has been practically glued to my hand for the past 5 days. I know it's still early, but am just so tired of waiting! The agony! Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those recently accepted!!

All quiet on the "regular alternate list" front. I'm right with ya buddy, just wanna know the deal so I can make my final decision.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all quiet on the "temporary alternate list" front as well...

Does anyone have some inside info about this wait list and its movement???

Withdrew my acceptance yesterday, hopefully that opens up for someone else. UM is awesome and would be an amazing place to study medicine for sure.

Got accepted off the temp alternate list on Monday!! Absolutely cannot wait to meet all of my classmates, much luck to those of you still waiting!! I also know of someone else getting in this week, so I think there is movement despite the lack of posts :D

Hey, so regarding housing around the U, has anyone heard anything about Seybold Pointe? I hadn't even seen the name until I noticed a post in the Facebook group. Apparently, a 2/2 goes for like $650/mo + utilities, which sounds awesome, given that there's a washer, dryer, and dishwasher in each unit, along with a balcony and other sweet stuff. I'm pretty sure there has to be a catch.

Thanks for your responses and congrats to you KayPay! Hoping for more movement!

So, just out of curiosity, I called the Office of Admissions today and asked two questions:

1) Is the class full?
2) Is there any way to determine my relative chances of getting in?

The answers pretty much reaffirmed that which we already assumed:

1) Yes and no. People will decline offers and wait list movement will continue up until orientation.

2) No. Laughably no.

So I pretty much just told you what you already knew. ;)

Hey, so regarding housing around the U, has anyone heard anything about Seybold Pointe? I hadn't even seen the name until I noticed a post in the Facebook group. Apparently, a 2/2 goes for like $650/mo + utilities, which sounds awesome, given that there's a washer, dryer, and dishwasher in each unit, along with a balcony and other sweet stuff. I'm pretty sure there has to be a catch.

really?

http://www.internationalriviera.com/seyboldpointe/for_rent.htm

650 has to be per person

First of all, thank you for that post and information about waitlist movement from the admissions office... but, for a follow up question:

Does anyone know how much more movement they are expecting? Granted they have no way of knowing how many people will decline offers, but from past years, does anyone know how much movement actually occurs after the week following the infamous May 15?

Last year's Miami forum had someone getting the call on May 25. That was the last post from someone getting off the waitlist. He/she was from the regular waitlist.

It seems like fewer people are getting the good news this year. I also called Miami couple of days ago and the lady told me they pick from the temporary list before going to the regular, so it seems weird that people were getting off the regular list last year on May 15. Perhaps this happened this year as well, but nobody's posting?

Also, on last year's waitlist thread, kids were getting in all the way through mid/late June, so it's not over 'til it's over.

Lets hope for some good news next week!

I don't know anything about the building but I can say it's in a really sketchy part of town. I'd never go running through those neighborhoods at night (how I judge places), and I'm pretty comfortable in most places. Do a Google street view of 7th Ct and 10th St, imagine it pitch black with shady characters on the corners.
Just my opinion. But the metro stop is like 200 meters away so that's a bonus.

No **** it's per person. Where do you live where a 2/2 goes for $650 total?

And apparently the catch is the crappy neighborhood. However, I've lived in sketchy neighborhoods, and really all it means is that stumbling home alone from a night out is an especially terrible idea, and you can't leave anything worthwhile in your car. I'd live in Little Havana if the price was right.

I guess you're true to your name aggro...=P

Seybold is basically right by the med campus (as oppose to dominion which is right ON the med campus). There are plenty of med students that live there (I know a couple girls who do) and I haven't heard complaints. I probably wouldn't go walking home from the med school alone at midnight, but I believe it's a decent enough place to live. The other con about the location is just that there's nothing around (no restaurants, bars, etc.) which you may or may not care about.

Hmm...so I guess it comes down to whether or not the bad neighborhood is worth $9600 over the course of four years, as opposed to Brickell. I mean, Axis is a fantastic place to live, I'm just trying to save a little where I can. Then again, $180,000 of debt versus $190,000 isn't really that much. It's not even a statistically significant difference (and yes, I checked).

How do you know if you are on the temporary alternate or regulare alternate list?
My letter says," ...has placed you on the alternate list at least temporarily...if you have an interest in maintaining your status as an alternate to the 2010 entering class..."

Thank You

How do you know if you are on the temporary alternate or regulare alternate list?
My letter says," ...has placed you on the alternate list at least temporarily...if you have an interest in maintaining your status as an alternate to the 2010 entering class..."

Thank You

..... because I am insanely jealous of your position, I will not dignify your inquiry with a helpful explanation. Nope, all you get is this: your post pretty much answers itself. :idea:

..... because I am insanely jealous of your position, I will not dignify your inquiry with a helpful explanation. Nope, all you get is this: your post pretty much answers itself. :idea:
Thanks for the sarcastic comment :smuggrin: but I am assuming that you are saying that it is the temporary alternate list, i still would not know because I have nothing to compare my letter too. I hope that we both end up at UM together sarcasm is my favorite pastime.

I just got the call off the temporary alternate list!! Keep your hopes up everyone still waiting, the list is moving. Can't wait to meet the rest of the class in the Fall!!!

Congrats Shneaky!

I just got the call this morning too :D Miami was my top choice school since day 1 so I could not be more excited!!

Look forward to meeting the rest of the class & good luck to all still waiting!!

Congrats Shneaky!

I just got the call this morning too :D Miami was my top choice school since day 1 so I could not be more excited!!

Look forward to meeting the rest of the class & good luck to all still waiting!!
when did you guys interview?

Another place thats close to campus like Seybold Point is Highland Park Lofts. It's really nice, super close (definitely walking distance), and rent for a 1/1 is about $1000.

Interviewed: 1/25
Temporary alternate list: Early March (called-in and was told - don't remember exact date)
Well congrats Sobe... hopefully there is still some movement on the temporary alternate list in the days to come...

I actually interviewed the same day. I got the temp. waitlist notification in mid-march as well. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Did anyone interview in March and get on the temporary alternate list? Did anyone interview in March and actually get accepted?

Well congrats Sobe... hopefully there is still some movement on the temporary alternate list in the days to come...

Thanks and I hope there's a ton of movement for everyone on the temp/regular alt lists - I know that feeling of waiting for the phone to ring all too well.

Good luck to everyone and here's to you getting your calls soon :xf:

Did anyone interview in March and get on the temporary alternate list? Did anyone interview in March and actually get accepted?

I interviewed March 12th and I recieved temporary alternate status on the 24th. I have yet to hear from Da U yet I am going to sacrifice a small goat and pray over a bonfire tonight and hopefully the med school gods will answers my prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.