2009-2010 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Oathing

Doesn't matter when you have your family ceremony. Just date it within the timeframe they give you. At least for Army, when you get to San Antonio during in-processing they will pass out a blank DA-71 pre-signed by the company commander there in case you for some reason did not previously oath, forgot or lost your form. It's not a big deal. I would imagine it's similar for the Air Force and Navy... any DA-71 is fine as long as it's signed by an officer and dated within the authorized timeframe.

Members don't see this ad.

RE: Oathing

Doesn't matter when you have your family ceremony. Just date it within the timeframe they give you. At least for Army, when you get to San Antonio during in-processing they will pass out a blank DA-71 pre-signed by the company commander there in case you for some reason did not previously oath, forgot or lost your form. It's not a big deal. I would imagine it's similar for the Air Force and Navy... any DA-71 is fine as long as it's signed by an officer and dated within the authorized timeframe.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to hit up the Army recruiter office tomorrow and see if I can set up something soon.

Come on AF ppl...

Mr. Kush is back from holiday (or at least responding to emails again) and says we're still waiting on SECDEF approval.

It'll come. Think I'll go ahead and buy all my uniforms and alterations this week. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know we don't all have orders, unconditionals, or certified guarantees with presidential seals that we'll be attending class at USUHS yet, but those who are more than 75% certain by this point, for whatever reason, are invited to join the USUHS 2014 Google Group located here.

...AND participate in an initial feedback questionnaire here.

Responses from the feedback questionnaire will be made available to group members in both spreadsheet and summary form.

Just having fun with Google Docs today... :thumbup:

Mr. Kush is back from holiday (or at least responding to emails again) and says we're still waiting on SECDEF approval.

It'll come. Think I'll go ahead and buy all my uniforms and alterations this week. :thumbup:

I spoke with kush this morning and they are hoping to get the go ahead this week. He said he's calling today to get an update and put a little more pressure on them... Hope it's soon

I spoke with kush this morning and they are hoping to get the go ahead this week. He said he's calling today to get an update and put a little more pressure on them... Hope it's soon

i just find it funny that SECDEF has approved army and navy yet the AF gets stuck waiting... wouldnt it just be easier to do them all at once..

i just find it funny that SECDEF has approved army and navy yet the AF gets stuck waiting... wouldnt it just be easier to do them all at once..

Usually (from what I've heard), its the Navy that ends up last, so it's nice to see a different branch for a change ;)

I know it's hard, but don't worry. You're all in the same boat, so it's not like any of you is alone in this - they have to figure it out eventually!

Just called Mr. Kush and he said that he got the verbal confirmation today that the SECDEF has approved us. This means that we will be able to oath in now. He is working on individual e-mails for all of us, which we should receive shortly.

Just called Mr. Kush and he said that he got the verbal confirmation today that the SECDEF has approved us. This means that we will be able to oath in now. He is working on individual e-mails for all of us, which we should receive shortly.

Woooo!!
Ok, dumb question: who do I need to sign those papers? I assume must be an officer within the same branch? Anything else? If I don't know an AF officer, where do I got to find one?:)

Woooo!!
Ok, dumb question: who do I need to sign those papers? I assume must be an officer within the same branch? Anything else? If I don't know an AF officer, where do I got to find one?:)

I heard previously on this thread it could be a notary public. The e-mail from Mr. Kush should answer your questions. He said he had about 40 to send, and that I was #3 on his list and should get something in 10-15 minutes. That was 20 minutes ago.... Anyways, hopefully we'll hear something tonight or tommorrow.

Just got my AF Form 133. :thumbup:

NLT june 3/4?!?

ugh... now to find a nurse at work whos in the reserves seeing as I work 7-7 the next 3 days.

Members don't see this ad :)
NLT june 3/4?!?

ugh... now to find a nurse at work whos in the reserves seeing as I work 7-7 the next 3 days.

Doesn't have to be in the reserves:
"...a commissioned officer of any US Armed Force component, including reserves, whether active duty or retired..."

Even if you don't know someone who fits that criteria, you can go to a public notary:
"If a notary administers the oath, the expiration date of his or her commission must be included (if required by the state concerned) and the AF Form 133 must bear the notarial seal or indicia...."

One way or another... :)

"...a commissioned officer of any US Armed Force component, including reserves, whether active duty or retired..."

Even if you don't know someone who fits that criteria, you can go to a public notary:
"If a notary administers the oath, the expiration date of his or her commission must be included (if required by the state concerned) and the AF Form 133 must bear the notarial seal or indicia...."

true, forgot about the retired part. Somehow though I doubt any notary office will be open at 6am or 8pm though, seeing as im at work the entire time between. Im not complaining at all, just its another stress that I wasnt expecting.

true, forgot about the retired part. Somehow though I doubt any notary office will be open at 6am or 8pm though, seeing as im at work the entire time between. Im not complaining at all, just its another stress that I wasnt expecting.

It wouldn't hurt to try calling a recruiting office. They may be nice and try to work a time out with you.

Ok.. So if I have a retired navy officer even though I'm going into AF, does that work?

To all the Army folks:

Just a heads up, I spent over $1000 at the CIF this weekend on uniforms, and still have items to buy. They weren't kidding when they said have some money set aside.

A few more tidbits:
Don't buy cotton t-shirts or socks (cotton + Texas + Army = :(). Buy an extra duffel bag because you'll likely need it and they will probably only issue 1. You don't have to buy 10 pairs of fancy socks... I'd just get a few good ones for ruck marches, FTX, etc. If you're just going to class you don't need to wear fancy socks. Buy an extra Class A name plate because they'll break. Spend the money on the good boots (I like Belleville 310 for summer). I would get 2 pair summer and worry about winter boots later, this way you can alternate them (which is highly advised). Get a knife (<4 inches). I don't think the list said to, but get the Army issue spandex shorts (or whatever you own as long as there is no logo on it)---Ladies: This is required so you don't show your goods during sit ups.

If I think of other helpful items I'll add them.

Thanks! I called last week and switched - it turns out that the switch was well timed... :luck:

Good luck to those of you still waiting

Congratulations! Smart move. When did you decide to move waitlists?

Just got my AF Form 133. :thumbup:

On the Form 133, below MY sig block, does anyone know what to put after "...before me, at ____________"? Is it the time or the place? I can't find the instructions for this form anywhere.

On the Form 133, below MY sig block, does anyone know what to put after "...before me, at ____________"? Is it the time or the place? I can't find the instructions for this form anywhere.

I believe its WHERE you get oathed in, aka for me it says "...before me, at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital..."

faxed mine in today at 0715, so hopefully I can be in the first batch of EAD orders to go out, hopefully by the end of the week so i can go buy uniforms on saturday.

I believe its WHERE you get oathed in, aka for me it says "...before me, at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital..."

faxed mine in today at 0715, so hopefully I can be in the first batch of EAD orders to go out, hopefully by the end of the week so i can go buy uniforms on saturday.

Thanks! Let us know when you get your orders. I'm still waiting for my commander to get back from a meeting to sign mine. If he's too much longer, I'll just grab the nearest O and get it done!

It wouldn't hurt to try calling a recruiting office. They may be nice and try to work a time out with you.

I'm working the recruiting office to setup a time to commission. Needless to say when you don't help their recruiting numbers they don't exactly move mountains. They gave me a few numbers to call and I am working that angle now. If I don't find someone soon they are just gonna have to swear me in at ODS. It's lots of fun explaining USUHS to people who have never heard of it and why you aren't commissioning with your ROTC unit.

Anybody know to get on base do I need EAD orders or will a copy of my signed oath form do?

I'm working the recruiting office to setup a time to commission. Needless to say when you don't help their recruiting numbers they don't exactly move mountains. They gave me a few numbers to call and I am working that angle now. If I don't find someone soon they are just gonna have to swear me in at ODS. It's lots of fun explaining USUHS to people who have never heard of it and why you aren't commissioning with your ROTC unit.

Yeah, I was lucky, I had a family friend who couldn't swear me in (out of the area), but he knew a Marine officer recruiter - as I'm sure you already know, it's easier when you know someone who knows someone ;)

You most likely wouldn't be alone in commissioning at ODS - there were a handful who did last year.

Public Notary at the UPS Store: $6.00
First Class Letter to Mr. Kush: $1.70
Admission to USUHS School of Medicine: Priceless

Oath done, awaiting orders. :thumbup:

I just went to my county courthouse and had a notary oath me and sign and stamp the paperwork. Sent it to Mr. Kush this morning and he said it was fine. If you can't find an O, just go to your local bank or somewhere you can find a notary. The lady that did mine had never done one before and was actually honored to do it. :)

Anybody know to get on base do I need EAD orders or will a copy of my signed oath form do?

If it's an Army post usually you can get on with just your driver's license--tell them where you're headed, they'll search your car, you should be good to go. Navy, usually same, as long as it's not a shipyard. AF-- I have no clue.

If you're going to the CIF to purchase items, likely they will let you if you have some document showing that you're going to be in the Army (take a bunch of them with fancy USU letterhead and they likely won't even really read them). No promises on whether they'll let it slide without a military ID, so I'd call them and ask specifically.

Public Notary at the UPS Store: $6.00
First Class Letter to Mr. Kush: $1.70
Admission to USUHS School of Medicine: Priceless

Oath done, awaiting orders. :thumbup:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what did you wear? Jeans and t-shirt? My parents want to see me get oathed, which is the only reason I'm trying to get it done before OBLC, but I would feel stupid walking into a UPS store all dressed up lol.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what did you wear? Jeans and t-shirt? My parents want to see me get oathed, which is the only reason I'm trying to get it done before OBLC, but I would feel stupid walking into a UPS store all dressed up lol.

Haha. Well, I was wearing a polo shirt and shorts when I walked into my bank. I feel like u can be more dressed up at a bank and feel less silly, but whatev:)

Not to be nitpicky or anything and please someone correct me if I'm wrong and other services do, but one doesn't "oath in."

You "swear in" or "take the oath of office."

Now that thats off my chest, if anyone's in NW FL, I'll "swear you in" or "administer the oath of office."

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what did you wear? Jeans and t-shirt? My parents want to see me get oathed...

shorts & t-shirt, by myself, just running errands over lunch. BUT...

By all means, take your time, invite your parents, get your family & friends involved if they want to be! If your family takes interest then that's great - then take your time making arrangements. Get whoever you want to swear you in, have your whole family there, take some nice pictures, go to dinner, toast to the constitution and your Commander in Chief and kiss your civilian lifestyle goodbye. :cool:

I'm thousands of miles from the nearest family member and have already sworn in to enlisted AF before, so for me it was just an errand on my way to getting orders and heading to COT. My parents aren't aware of or overly curious about the process. In fact, my dad recently realized that getting into medical school, specifically USUHS, is "kind of a big deal?", and wondered aloud if I had to "know someone" to get in... No. I worked hard and earned it. Thanks pops. :rolleyes:

Hope that answers your question. I don't mean to cheapen the experience - it's just different for me. My moment of realization that this is all really happening probably won't come until June 28. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Not to be nitpicky or anything and please someone correct me if I'm wrong and other services do, but one doesn't "oath in."

Now that thats off my chest, if anyone's in NW FL, I'll "swear you in" or "administer the oath of office."

I agree totally. But the medical program manager, and the paperwork he sends out, all use "oath" as a verb. That's why people are saying that.

I agree totally. But the medical program manager, and the paperwork he sends out, all use "oath" as a verb. That's why people are saying that.

Okay so that makes sense now.

I will say for those of you new to the military, once you get to the fleet or whatever it's called in your respective service and get asked to promote or re-enlist one of your Sailors, Soldiers or Airmen don't call it "oathing."

Is anyone here planning on/considering a DITY move? I have friends here that can help me load, if anyone else is considering this, we can get together and help each other unload. Not sure about singles/couples, but for a family of four (depending how much stuff you have and where you're coming from) moving yourself can make you some serious $$. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't really sure what to call it.

shorts & t-shirt, by myself, just running errands over lunch. BUT...

By all means, take your time, invite your parents, get your family & friends involved if they want to be! If your family takes interest then that's great - then take your time making arrangements. Get whoever you want to swear you in, have your whole family there, take some nice pictures, go to dinner, toast to the constitution and your Commander in Chief and kiss your civilian lifestyle goodbye. :cool:

I'm thousands of miles from the nearest family member and have already sworn in to enlisted AF before, so for me it was just an errand on my way to getting orders and heading to COT. My parents aren't aware of or overly curious about the process. In fact, my dad recently realized that getting into medical school, specifically USUHS, is "kind of a big deal?", and wondered aloud if I had to "know someone" to get in... No. I worked hard and earned it. Thanks pops. :rolleyes:

Hope that answers your question. I don't mean to cheapen the experience - it's just different for me. My moment of realization that this is all really happening probably won't come until June 28. :thumbup:

haha, thanks for the input. I didn't really think about it, but I guess taking the oath of office is me officially kissing my civilian life goodbye, which is more of a big deal than I've been giving it credit. up to this point I've been thinking of it as an errand.

got my orders around 1700 this afternoon... ended up getting sworn in in one of the triage bays by one of the nurses at work whos also an AF flight nurse. Going to go to Bolling on friday to buy uniforms, anybody know if we need mess dress? I see on the COT website that 10-04 didnt need it, so hopefully neither do we. Also the website in the docs we got about the cot welcome package gives a 404 error, but i found what looks like the same thing just by googling "cot rcot welcome package". Its all from 2008 but most things should still be applicable.

regarding DITY moves... I am doing one, however thats cause USUHS is closer to my house than my high school im pretty sure, so I dont think thats what youre referring to.

got my orders around 1700 this afternoon... ended up getting sworn in in one of the triage bays by one of the nurses at work whos also an AF flight nurse. Going to go to Bolling on friday to buy uniforms, anybody know if we need mess dress? I see on the COT website that 10-04 didnt need it, so hopefully neither do we. Also the website in the docs we got about the cot welcome package gives a 404 error, but i found what looks like the same thing just by googling "cot rcot welcome package". Its all from 2008 but most things should still be applicable.

regarding DITY moves... I am doing one, however thats cause USUHS is closer to my house than my high school im pretty sure, so I dont think thats what youre referring to.
I know Air Force was required to get mess dress for our class, and people wore it to our Dining Out.

Just to verify, we have to complete the following courses right?

.o. ..J3OP-US257 EPRC for CBRNE Clinician Long Course
.o. ..J3OP-US258 EPRC for CBRNE Clinician Short Course
.o. ..J3OP-US259 EPRC for CBRNE Operator Long Course
.o. ..J3OP-US260 EPRC for CBRNE Operator Short Course
.o. ..J3OP-US261 EPRC for CBRNE Basic Awareness Course
.o. ..J3OP-US262 EPRC for CBRNE Executive Commander Course

It just seems that the Long and Short courses are repetitive...

My sponsor told me we will not need the mess dress until this fall when we have a uniform inspection. In his opinion, it was just one more thing to lug around during his move, not to mention a huge expense before we've even been paid.

My sponsor told me we will not need the mess dress until this fall when we have a uniform inspection. In his opinion, it was just one more thing to lug around during his move, not to mention a huge expense before we've even been paid.

Curious.. I was accepted a month ago... Should I be getting contacted by my sponsor soon?

Try: http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/COT-RCOT/welcomepackage.asp

Yes, all of these docs are from 2008. Maybe they are outdated and that's why there are no links anywhere to this. This page also contains the elusive OIs. I've seen them referenced on AFOTS.com and could never find them. I even called COT and asked about them and was told we'd get a copy when we get there.

Curious.. I was accepted a month ago... Should I be getting contacted by my sponsor soon?

We just got an email today from the sponsor coordinator. Apparently a bunch of us got new sponsorees and contact information recently, and she's sending more Monday. You may have either just been assigned to someone in the last day or so, or you'll be assigned on Monday.

We just got an email today from the sponsor coordinator. Apparently a bunch of us got new sponsorees and contact information recently, and she's sending more Monday. You may have either just been assigned to someone in the last day or so, or you'll be assigned on Monday.

Ok, I feel better then. I remember earlier hearing I would get one soon, then people were talkin about getting info from their sponsors... Glad I didn't miss a memo:)

Got my AF orders today - within 12 hours of emailing a copy of my 133 (oath) to Mr Kush! :)

Is there anyone still waiting for orders to Army OBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.