2009-2010 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of good ways that I have employed in the past: Send update letters (even if it's just a note that you're still shadowing/working in a clinic/working in a lab/volunteering as you have been) to Calloway directly as an email attachment; send a short email letting her know that you're still interested, ask if there's anything you can do to improve your status on the waitlist (even though there usually isn't), and be direct that you're writing her so that your name is in the forefront of her mind when she's making further decisions regarding who to accept off the wait list.

My suggestion is to avoid being coy or cheesy about the emails... remember that she's probably getting dozens per day. Be honest about your intentions. It helps if you stopped by her office after your interview and met her personally---easiest way to plug yourself. If not, don't be shy, it's time to pull out all the stops and swallow all pride. I know it's hard (I've done a whole lot of it myself).

Also, if there was some part of your application that was weak (i.e. MCAT, like me) it's a good idea to let her know that you have specific plans for enhancing that item (Your plan is to go ahead and retake the MCAT this summer) which will help show your determination to keep plugging away.

Good luck. Hope this helps. If there's anything else I can do, I'd be glad to help. This is my third time applying, so I know your pain.

Is it better to address her as Dr. Calloway or her rank?

Members don't see this ad.

almost all military docs I've spoken with prefer to go by Dr.

Members don't see this ad :)
.... send a short email letting her know that you're still interested, ask if there's anything you can do to improve your status on the waitlist (even though there usually isn't), and be direct that you're writing her so that your name is in the forefront of her mind when she's making further decisions regarding who to accept off the wait list.

I was under the impression that when we are placed on the waitlist, we were ranked by date of interview, overall competitiveness, and prior military experience. I'm thinking that when placed on the waitlist, we are pretty much "in line" in a particular order based on our interview, etc. So when a waitlist spot opens us, the next person in line gets it, correct? Sending an email wouldn't hurt but it doesn't really sway any further decisions on who is accepted off the waitlist, does it??

I was under the impression that when we are placed on the waitlist, we were ranked by date of interview, overall competitiveness, and prior military experience. I'm thinking that when placed on the waitlist, we are pretty much "in line" in a particular order based on our interview, etc. So when a waitlist spot opens us, the next person in line gets it, correct? Sending an email wouldn't hurt but it doesn't really sway any further decisions on who is accepted off the waitlist, does it??

The email helps if it includes updates, etc. I emailed just before I got my acceptance to let them know of a job I had recently taken and a promotion within my volunteer fire department to let them know I had completed my EMT requirements had was still active in something I ha mentioned earlier in my application/interview process. Not sure that it helped at all, but updating them on any recent activities, etc, may bump you up slightly in that list. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

kwhata said:
Is it better to address her as Dr. Calloway or her rank?

She most likely won't care either way. Physicians in the military can be addressed by doctor or their rank. It is customary however in written communication to address those of a higher rank by their rank and not by doctor. Especially when that person is five paygrades your senior. But seriously you are applying to medical school she doesn't expect you to know unwritten military etiquite rules.

Any current USUHS students out there that had to decide between USUHS and HPSP? I am so in love with USUHS, but something is tickling my brain, and I would love to hear from anyone that made the choice of USUHS>HPSP.

PM me, or reply to this if you want! Thanks!

So can someone explain how this works. I will finish ODS sometime in the middle of July. How does it work from there is it standard travel time to USUHS or is there a break (if so is this charged leave). Then from what I understand we have orientation and then like two weeks off. Is that charged leave? I appreciate someone breaking it down Barney style for me. Thanks.

So can someone explain how this works. I will finish ODS sometime in the middle of July. How does it work from there is it standard travel time to USUHS or is there a break (if so is this charged leave). Then from what I understand we have orientation and then like two weeks off. Is that charged leave? I appreciate someone breaking it down Barney style for me. Thanks.

We've argued with them for a while about it being house-hunting leave so we won't be charged, but they won't. There is a couple days of travel, but not enough to get you to the check in date. So yes, you'll get charged a few days of leave (just between ODS and checking in) - I don't remember how many days exactly. It's a little annoying since those of us non-priors don't have much accrued leave, so we end up in the negative. Although, most people end up in the negative during the 1st two years anyway - they don't care because they know you'll earn it back later.

For the most part, yes. However, Dr. Calloway has the power to personally pick people off the list (as does any dean of admissions at any other school) as she sees fit. And the closer it gets to the first day of classes, the more inclined a dean is to select someone he/she is familiar with for 2 main reasons: 1: Because they know you're serious, and 2: Because the chance is greater that that person will show up on a day's notice.

Hey guys I have a few questions regarding the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS). From my understanding, there are a few slots open for members of the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps. My questions are:

Would I be able to choose which branch of the uniformed services I would serve under?

About how many slot are available for those who want to serve with the commissioned corps?

After graduating under which federal agency would I be working under( as a member of the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps)? Do I have a choice?

Would I be restricted to military residencies? If not would I be required to choose a primary care residency?

Would dadt be enforce if I was a member of the commissioned corps?

Thanks

ok, so yes, i did have to join to respond to this last post....

(quick background, UVA c/o 2009, econ major, 32Q mcat, 3.4 gpa (3.8 econ), USUHS USAF c/o 2014)

1) Yes, you select on interview day (and if you go day 1 like I did, they told us we got our 1st choice if we got in, as there is no waiting list then, and if you want PHS APPLY EARLY)

2) PHS has I think 6 spots, either that or 4, but no more than 6 for sure

3) Ok you just answered your own question earlier... you would serve in the US Public Health Service... http://www.usphs.gov/ really not sure what you were expecting there...

4) Sorry im no help here

5) Im not sure what youre referring to by would "dadt be enforce". Would you have to do a military residency? Would you have to serve? Would you have to be PHS if they were your chosen service? You need to be more specific.

Also, remember, this is the 09-10 app year thread, so, please dont hijack it, its already turned into the CL housing section enough already. There are more appropriate places to post. (not trying to be harsh, but seriously)

We've argued with them for a while about it being house-hunting leave so we won't be charged, but they won't. There is a couple days of travel, but not enough to get you to the check in date. So yes, you'll get charged a few days of leave (just between ODS and checking in) - I don't remember how many days exactly. It's a little annoying since those of us non-priors don't have much accrued leave, so we end up in the negative. Although, most people end up in the negative during the 1st two years anyway - they don't care because they know you'll earn it back later.

So from RI it should be two travel days I believe. They didn't give you that? That sucks. You graduated ODS on Friday. Did you have to report to USUHS Saturday? And since we have few skills of benefit to the military at that point what do we do until classes start at the end of August? I know I have way too many questions, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
So from RI it should be two travel days I believe. They didn't give you that? That sucks. You graduated ODS on Friday. Did you have to report to USUHS Saturday? And since we have few skills of benefit to the military at that point what do we do until classes start at the end of August? I know I have way too many questions, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

No, they give you travel days, but you don't report whenever you want. We were told to report Aug 5 - I think graduation was July 24, and we were given X days of travel (I believe it was more than 2, but I could be wrong). That means that how ever many days there were between the travel days and report day were taken out of leave - so since there were 11 days between July 24 and Aug 5, the number of leave days was 11-X.

You don't have to do anything between the report date and the start of orientation. That is time that you're given to set up your house/apartment. You hang out, set things up, go to "lets get to know each other" parties, etc. You may or may not have an unofficial PT test sometime between the report date and orientation though.

I don't mind questions. It gives me a study break ;)

ok, so yes, i did have to join to respond to this last post....

3) Ok you just answered your own question earlier... you would serve in the US Public Health Service... http://www.usphs.gov/ really not sure what you were expecting there...
)

HHS Offices and Agencies in Which Commissioned Corps Officers Serve​
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Food and Drug Administration
Health Resources and Services Administration
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Indian Health Service
National Institutes of Health
Office of Public Health and Science
Office of the Secretary
Program Support Center
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response

Non-HHS Agencies/Programs in Which Commissioned Corps Officers Serve
District of Columbia Commission on Mental Health Services
Environmental Protection Agency
Federal Bureau of Prisons
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
National Park Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
U.S. Department of Defense
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Division of Immigration Health Services (DIHS)
U.S. Coast Guard
U.S. Marshals Service

I meant what HHS agency would I be working with.

Do you think Dr. Calloway suddenly got a wave of email updates? :laugh:

No, they give you travel days, but you don't report whenever you want. We were told to report Aug 5 - I think graduation was July 24, and we were given X days of travel (I believe it was more than 2, but I could be wrong). That means that how ever many days there were between the travel days and report day were taken out of leave - so since there were 11 days between July 24 and Aug 5, the number of leave days was 11-X.

You don't have to do anything between the report date and the start of orientation. That is time that you're given to set up your house/apartment. You hang out, set things up, go to "lets get to know each other" parties, etc. You may or may not have an unofficial PT test sometime between the report date and orientation though.

I don't mind questions. It gives me a study break ;)
Cool thanks. So I just report and then tool around Bethesda and I won't burn my leave. Just curious how that all worked.

Cool thanks. So I just report and then tool around Bethesda and I won't burn my leave. Just curious how that all worked.

Well, you won't burn leave after reporting. You will burn leave before reporting. Out of those 11 days I mentioned earlier, I think they counted 4 as leave. If I remember correctly I was at -1.5 when I looked at my LES after reporting, and we would only earn about 2.5 during ODS, so that would mean they charged me 4 days before I reported to USUHS on Aug 5th. I hope that clears things up - it's a little confusing.

Well, you won't burn leave after reporting. You will burn leave before reporting. Out of those 11 days I mentioned earlier, I think they counted 4 as leave. If I remember correctly I was at -1.5 when I looked at my LES after reporting, and we would only earn about 2.5 during ODS, so that would mean they charged me 4 days before I reported to USUHS on Aug 5th. I hope that clears things up - it's a little confusing.

Sorry I've never heard of a report date only a report no later than date. I'm not allowed to check-in before orientation. That seems odd to me. I guess USUHS is a different beast but mandatory leave is crazy lol. What are you gonna do though.

Erald Coil said:
I'm gonna hope my TMO comes very soon after I walk into my apartment. :xf:

Very true. I suppose I need to find a place to live before I can hope for that lol.

Sorry I've never heard of a report date only a report no later than date. I'm not allowed to check-in before orientation. That seems odd to me. I guess USUHS is a different beast but mandatory leave is crazy lol. What are you gonna do though.
That's correct, they won't let you report before whatever date they give you and you will be charged leave. It's stupid, but that's how it works. Don't worry though, accrued leave shouldn't really matter so much to you anymore because for the next at least 5 years of your career you won't have enough time to burn up the amount of leave you'll earn; your training schedule in medical school and residency will dictate whatever small windows there are. Also, you might as lose the mindset of being in the military still. Too many priors come to USUHS knowing that it's not a real unit yet still get frustrated by the system. USUHS is everything that a real unit is not.

No problem, yeah it's a little weird and can be difficult to explain to someone who's never experienced it before (especially when the person trying to explain is someone with no prior experience, like me ;)). We argued about the mandatory leave, but it did nothing. It doesn't make sense to any of the priors either.

They'll explain it all better at ODS - you'll have a day in the last week where they separate out all the USUHS people and you'll talk with CDR Hernandez (our company commander) and whoever replaces Chief Foronda (the NCOIC for our service is retiring next month and I haven't heard about a replacement yet). They'll tell you exactly what day to check in, what to bring, what uniform to wear (summer whites), and when orientation starts.

dwb8p said:
That's correct, they won't let you report before whatever date they give you and you will be charged leave. It's stupid, but that's how it works. Don't worry though, accrued leave shouldn't really matter so much to you anymore because for the next at least 5 years of your career you won't have enough time to burn up the amount of leave you'll earn; your training schedule in medical school and residency will dictate whatever small windows there are. Also, you might as lose the mindset of being in the military still. Too many priors come to USUHS knowing that it's not a real unit yet still get frustrated by the system. USUHS is everything that a real unit is not.

Thanks you and silverhorse have been invaluable. I'll try to lose the military mindset. After 5 years in the navy 4 of those with marine infantry that may take some time. I'll just have to learn to smile and wave.

Maybe I'm being naive, but even if don't ask don't tell is enforced can't you just um... Not tell?

Maybe I'm being naive, but even if don't ask don't tell is enforced can't you just um... Not tell?

I don't have to tell, but it doesn't mean that someone can't find out. Once some one finds out it won't be hard for some vindictive jackass to black mail me, or for someone higher up to find some other reason to get rid of me.

If I sign up for this I'll be spending a minimum of 17 years serving. (in medical school, residency and once I start working for the NIH or IHS) From what I understand if you are removed from programs like this for any reason you'll owe the cost of your education back the federal government. Can you imagine being kicked out your fourth year of medical school. Or how much money you'll owe the feds in fees and interest. I'd be spending the rest of my life paying that off without a medical degree. I don't care to spend my in :scared:. Its not worth it to me if dadt is going to be enforced in the PHSCC or the USUHS.

Withdrew from Navy today. :( Was really sad to do so, but ended up going with an HPSP.

Thanks for all the good conversation here, and I hope someone gets the Navy spot quickly!

Navy orders are heading out. Got mine today. Report to USUHS TDY enroute ODS. Hopefully the rest of you get yours soon.

Anybody heard from Dr. Calloway lately? Feels like the waitlist isn't really moving this year.

Received my orders to OBLC today via email. Only 3 more weeks!

For those of you on the Navy waitlist...

I've been keeping an eye on this post for my friend. Navy, waitlist....She got her call this morning, accepted.

sorry for those of you who have been waiting for Navy, I know this is one less spot available...Good Luck.

Received my orders to OBLC today via email. Only 3 more weeks!

Likewise! Guess I'll see you there...

On another note, is anyone else confused by being instructed to check the "for an indefinite period" box on the Application for Active Duty (DA Form 160-R)?

On another note, is anyone else confused by being instructed to check the "for an indefinite period" box on the Application for Active Duty (DA Form 160-R)?

Length on active duty would depend on your residency/fellowship choices. If you GMO'ed your commitment it would be 7 (plus one internship plus 4 in school), but if you did residency or fellowship you could be anywhere from 10-20, so at this time it's indefinite

Length on active duty would depend on your residency/fellowship choices. If you GMO'ed your commitment it would be 7 (plus one internship plus 4 in school), but if you did residency or fellowship you could be anywhere from 10-20, so at this time it's indefinite

So are you going to be in the USUHS Class of 2014? Just curious.

Any AF get their orders for COT yet?

Did anyone else who completed the AF USUHS Unconditional Acceptance Package from Mr. Kush receive any kind of confirmation that their package was complete? I'm trying to be sure I'm doing all I can to avoid delays in receiving my orders to COT...

I'm headed to Bethesda to look for apartments this weekend. If you would be interested in sharing a 2 bed 2 bath apartment or condo, PM.

USUHS c/o 2014, GO NAVY!

Did anyone else who completed the AF USUHS Unconditional Acceptance Package from Mr. Kush receive any kind of confirmation that their package was complete? I'm trying to be sure I'm doing all I can to avoid delays in receiving my orders to COT...
Well, considering I just got that package emailed to me last night and can't print that stuff out until tomorrow, I'll have to get back to you:)

Hey all, for anyone who is going crazy on the waitlist (like me) I just got off the phone with admissions and got a few interesting tidbits of info:

First, Dr.Calloway is/has been/will be out of the office and won't be making the phone calls for waitlisters. However, the do have other people who will be making the calls. For those of you that want to send update letters, it might be better to send them to admissions so they can put that info into your file.

The waitlists (AF for sure) are moving! I don't know if that means I'm really far down cuz I haven't gotten a call or if it's because they do multiple calls at one time. Hopefully, AF goes through the whole waitlist like they did last year, but they might have learned their lesson and put more ppl on it this year.

The comps are down at USUHS, in admissions at least, and this might be delaying processing and stuff. This day and age, computers go down and the world stops .... I know mine does if I don't have comp, BB, laptop, or iPod :)

When I talked to admissions, they stressed interview date and competitiveness as factors in selecting waitlist applicants, not so much prior service.

Sorry this is so long, but I've been going crazy for a while now; USUHS is my first choice and I really want to get in. I keep thinking my stats aren't good enough to get me off the waitlist: 3.5 GPA (bad fresh year), 31Q MCAT, no prior, interviewed late January. I really would like to know, not only for my own sanity but because moving to MD is going to be huge for me and my family (we live in HI) so I would like to get started as soon as possible. The wait/not knowing is killing me, but I am trying to be proactive and am rewriting essays and personal statements in case I don't get in this year. Thanks for letting me rant, needed to vent!

...I keep thinking my stats aren't good enough to get me off the waitlist: 3.5 GPA (bad fresh year), 31Q MCAT, no prior, interviewed late January...

I had a 3.4 GPA, 32Q, no prior (I was USNSCC in hs though so my interviewer said i knew the military culture well, idk), but I was in the 1st interview group, and I got in no trouble (save for a DODMERB waiver). ECs = Rifle/Pistol captain, 2 yrs ems, 6 mo ED shadow, 1 year ED tech
So let this be a lesson to anybody applying for 10-11, APPLY EARLY!!!

Good luck though! dont blame your stats.

in reference to the COT orders, all my papers arrived at Randolph on the 16th and I have not received anything yet... did order my name tapes though!

I interview mid feb. 3.5 gpa with sports med minor and lab research, 30 mcat, and 3 years off to teach and become an emt. For anyone reapplying or looking for something to do in a year off, I do recommend beoming an EMT. The "clinical experience" I got from that, as well as the focus on emergency medicine helped at the very least with my interview and they took that as a good indicator I "knew what I was getting into." Just a lil push for those already considering it.

Also-- there's still hope. I was called off the waitlist 3 wks ago, and there's still time:)

I never received a confirmation either, but Mr. Kush had emailed me to get all my prior OPRs/awards/decs for my file. Last time I spoke to him, he said he had already created everyone's orders, but was waiting for approval from SecDef for our commissions. He said it looked like it would happen at the end of May and once that happened, he would contact us to get our oaths done and then start issuing orders. Hopefully, things happen a little earlier than expected.

Hope that helps!

w00t top of page! (sorry had to)

we talking end of may this week end of may or like 2359 on the 31st end of may? ...never sure with the military lol

BTW anybody know what the deal with getting a pay advance to help w/ housing/uniforms etc is? (im AF if that matters)

I never received a confirmation either, but Mr. Kush had emailed me to get all my prior OPRs/awards/decs for my file. Last time I spoke to him, he said he had already created everyone's orders, but was waiting for approval from SecDef for our commissions. He said it looked like it would happen at the end of May and once that happened, he would contact us to get our oaths done and then start issuing orders. Hopefully, things happen a little earlier than expected.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Tobias. Maybe we'll hear something by this weekend. :thumbup:

Am I the last effin person waiting for a waiver???

Status
Not open for further replies.