2009-2010 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was prelim reviewed 12/1 also, but haven't heard anything. humph.

Same here. Has anybody tried calling them?

Edit: Just called them and the lady said that status meant that an adcom member has reviewed your file and made sure that everything is complete. Now, you would either be invited for interview or receive something by regular mail in a few weeks. She also added that it may take longer now due to the holidays.

Last edited:
FIU a good school? Didn't apply anywhere in Florida or Texas. Both states kinda creep me out.

florida creeps you out? really. hmmm. where are u from?

Texas is a bit icky but Florida is fine.

I feel like a lot of child molesters, sex offenders, murderers and just general shady characters live in Florida

Remember what happend to Jessica Lunsford, Carlie Brucia etc.?

Last edited:
Umm, there does seem to be a disproportionately high number of child molesters, etc. in Florida. No idea why, but they make up such little portion of the population that I really couldn't care less.

The sunny weather must really attact the molesters.

I feel like a lot of child molesters, sex offenders, murderers and just general shady characters live in Florida

Remember what happend to Jessica Lunsford, Carlie Brucia etc.?

hey we have Orlando which attracts kids and just maybe, people who prey on kids..:eek::eek::eek: j/k

U'll have to show me some stats, I've lived down here for quite a while and I travel domestically and abroad too, I don't think there's anything unique (crime-wise) about florida, I guess its stats will be comparable to other big states..

It's a great place and fun to live :D:D

Well, no one has said anything since the pedophile comments but just wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2010 will be an amazing year!

Wishing all of us acceptances this year:)

Well, no one has said anything since the pedophile comments but just wanted to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2010 will be an amazing year!

Wishing all of us acceptances this year:)

Good luck, hopefully we alternate listers hear something soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
My preliminary review was on dec 1st, since then nothing... (I'm from Miami) Should I expect a rejection letter soon? anyone in the same situation? :(

My preliminary review was on dec 1st, since then nothing... (I'm from Miami) Should I expect a rejection letter soon? anyone in the same situation? :(

My prelim review was on Dec. 1 also and I haven't heard anything. I'm assuming rejection, especially since I'm from Boston without high stats.

They do another shuffle in mid-January, people on alternate list will be fully accepted and they may invite more students for interviews. It's a good idea to find out when their interview cycle ends, this will give u a clearer picture of ur pre-interview odds...

Keep the hope alive..

I got a response from their assistant dean to an update I sent a couple days ago. She stated that the most movement of the accepted alternate list occurs in April and May. There is also a Second Look day scheduled in March and information about it will be sent out soon. Just fyi.

Most of the movement in April/May ??! So that means that being final pooled is basically a rejection.

Anyways, they send the next wave of full acceptances this Friday. I got that from the Director of Admissions.

Just called them and was told the first round of interview invites ends next week. But people who were prelim reviewed and not rejected will be re-reviewed up until march. Also 43 acceptances have been mailed out.

43 already mailed out? Does that mean we really have to wait until March/April before alternate listers hear back?

No she said it could start in February. Also half of the students from past class years got in off the waitlist.

How long after your interview, did you hear back from the school? My status still says 'Admissions Committee Scheduled.'

I interviewed over a month ago.

How long after your interview, did you hear back from the school? My status still says 'Admissions Committee Scheduled.'

I interviewed over a month ago.

Took about 6-7 weeks for me to hear back after my interview.

I would imagine there will be some movement within the next month or so since they asked all of us accepted in the first wave to have our scholarship applications/finaid info in by Jan 8 - So the first 43 will probably be hearing about finaid packages pretty soon, and then maybe some will decline the offer?
I hope all of you that really want to go to FIU hear something soon! I know how hard the waiting game is - I was on 5 waitlists for college - but hopefully some of you guys will be my classmates next year! Good luck!

BlueElmo, did you get in anywhere else ?

I did, so I'm not so cutthroat about FIU anymore, as I don't think I would end up here. But still, I want to know what will happen to me here.

I would imagine there will be some movement within the next month or so since they asked all of us accepted in the first wave to have our scholarship applications/finaid info in by Jan 8 - So the first 43 will probably be hearing about finaid packages pretty soon, and then maybe some will decline the offer?
I hope all of you that really want to go to FIU hear something soon! I know how hard the waiting game is - I was on 5 waitlists for college - but hopefully some of you guys will be my classmates next year! Good luck!

Is there a separate application for scholarships -separate from FAFSA and AMCAS/Secondaries apps? I somehow assumed they considered applicants for merit awards as they are accepted..??

They asked for an additional 300 wd essay to be considered for scholarship, along with the FAFSA

So if I'm still "seconday application complete" for over a month what does this mean?

Ok finally got the "preliminary review". Think eve though they took a month the quickest out of a school where I haven't been given an interview right away. I can only hope......:xf:I wrote a lot of good things about South Florida in my essays (my parents live there).

Congrats to everyone that has gotten in so far. For those on the alternate list/waitlist don't worry it's better than being rejected as you still have a chance. Last year there was a lot of movement on the list later in the year, so keep your fingers crossed.

They asked for an additional 300 wd essay to be considered for scholarship, along with the FAFSA

Was this additional essay part of their secondary? Or was it given only those "really" accepted?

The scholarship application form came way after I was accepted, back in October, definitely not part of the secondary - it was part of an email from the director of financial aid - must have only been sent to the full-out accepted?

Is there a separate application for scholarships -separate from FAFSA and AMCAS/Secondaries apps? I somehow assumed they considered applicants for merit awards as they are accepted..??

As of last year, they had a separate short essay question that you had to return in order to be eligible for scholarships. I'm pretty sure I remember our financial aid director saying that this is still the case this year. Regardless, be sure to submit your FAFSA for 2010-2011 as early as possible. Some of the money available for next year's class is possibly on a first come first serve basis and you dont want to miss that free money (I missed the 5k FIU Graduate Grant FAFSA deadline by 1 day last year. ugh!)

So, preliminary review complete 12/3 + no interview invite = adios FIU?

Just got an email from FIU.
Reject pre-interview.
I feel no remorse whatsoever.

They told the people on the alternate list that we should expect the next "wave" of official acceptances on January 15th (today). I haven't heard anything, so I was just wondering if anybody else did.

The scholarship application form came way after I was accepted, back in October, definitely not part of the secondary - it was part of an email from the director of financial aid - must have only been sent to the full-out accepted?

thanks for the info..

As of last year, they had a separate short essay question that you had to return in order to be eligible for scholarships. I'm pretty sure I remember our financial aid director saying that this is still the case this year. Regardless, be sure to submit your FAFSA for 2010-2011 as early as possible. Some of the money available for next year's class is possibly on a first come first serve basis and you dont want to miss that free money (I missed the 5k FIU Graduate Grant FAFSA deadline by 1 day last year. ugh!)

thanks..

They told the people on the alternate list that we should expect the next "wave" of official acceptances on January 15th (today). I haven't heard anything, so I was just wondering if anybody else did.

I have heard nothing.

Zilch... I thought this would be my first acceptance but nada.. I guess the seat limitation (43) and applying late (mid-sep.. Oooopss) makes it uber competitive... but the wait continues..

I had forgotten about this school until I got my rejection yesterday. O well, would have been cool I guess but no hard feelings.

I had forgotten about this school until I got my rejection yesterday. O well, would have been cool I guess but no hard feelings.

i'm sorry. :( did you interview?
still pre-interview hold for me..but, i'm thinking this means no interview-hold.

i'm sorry. :( did you interview?
still pre-interview hold for me..but, i'm thinking this means no interview-hold.

No interview. I remember I was on Prelim Review Complete since July or August? Then I called once a while ago and they said they expect to send the last invites late Jan. I guess with a class that small they would aim to fill it early. If you don't hear anything on Monday and are still on hold you might want to call and ask if they are still inviting people.

Oh and I like how my status now says that "Application Withdrawn" rather than rejected or non-accept. It makes it seem like I made the decision instead of them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.