2009-2010 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys -
Just wanted to let you all know I made a facebook group for FIU-COM class of 2014 (I know it's early, I'm just really excited about FIU, and I'm leaving the country and hoping to get in touch with future classmates before then!) So make sure to join if you think you'll be here next year!

Members don't see this ad.

Sooo...are final pooled people basically screwed?

Well, I was alternate listed in October and have heard nothing whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just withdrew my acceptance here. It's seems like an awesome school. I hope this helps someone on the alternate list!

Interview tomorrow! Any last minute advice?! Wish me luck :xf::luck::D

Hey everyone!

Just got back from my interview! It went awesome! Really loved the Neighborhood Help idea and the curriculum.

There were about 10 other applicants there, and they split us up into three groups of 5-6 applicants. I was in the first group to interview. When you are not interviewing, you just get to hang out with the med students, other applicants, and faculty. At the end, you take a tour of the campus with a med student.

Short and sweet. My day actually started out great because on the way up the elevator I got an email notification, and I checked my phone and saw my invite to interview at UMiami! Literally, I read it and the elevator doors opened to the greeter and I had no time to react! LOL.

GL to everyone who interviewed with me and those on the alternate/wait list! :xf::luck::D:D

Just got the email from ADCOM: Final pool review will begin on February 2nd.

Those accepted from the final pool will be placed on the "Alternate List", who in turn wait on a seat to open up before they can be formally accepted.

So basically, I (and many others, I presume) have to make it over two hurdles in order to get accepted here.

Fingers, legs, eyes... crossed :xf::zip::scared:

IS FIU still interviewing?

I called today and they said they are no longer sending out interview invites. She said if you have not received a rejection email yet it should be coming in the next couple of days or to check your spam/junk email folder...:(

Anyone accepted from Alternate List??

I got an email about a second look even though I'm still Alternate. Secondly, I have classes at the school everyday, so I definitely don't need a second look, just an acceptance and good finaid..:D:D:D. FIU are you listening??

Members don't see this ad :)
I called today and they said they are no longer sending out interview invites. She said if you have not received a rejection email yet it should be coming in the next couple of days or to check your spam/junk email folder...:(

So, has anyone gotten said rejection? I have not been invited for an interview (given up, honestly). But- I am curious. It will have been a week since this post tomorrow. Thanks!

From final pool to accepted-alternate today with the re-review. Any idea how many people actually are on the alt list and when things start picking up?

From final pool to accepted-alternate today with the re-review. Any idea how many people actually are on the alt list and when things start picking up?

Congrats!! My status hasn't changed yet. I'm still final pool. I wonder if they're going in order of when you interviewed...? I'd assume things will really start moving after fin aid packs go out...so relatively soon?

Good job, when are they pulling people from the alt list?

Final pooled in December.. Just got on the alt. list, has anyone else been added to the list recently? Seems like a lot of us! Hopefully its starts moving quick, the anticipation is killing me :xf:

Final pooled in December.. Just got on the alt. list, has anyone else been added to the list recently? Seems like a lot of us! Hopefully its starts moving quick, the anticipation is killing me :xf:
Congrats, Added yesterday, interviewed late September. Hope it moves quickly.

I also was added to the Accepted/Alternate list today! I interviewed 1/22, so happy I'm one step closer! :D

GL to everyone else!:xf::luck:

Same here...was added to alternate "accept" thing today. So...is it possible to be on this list and then NOT get accepted? I'm just hoping to get a seat here ASAP! I'd totally go here, I liked this more than my other interviews

Same here...was added to alternate "accept" thing today. So...is it possible to be on this list and then NOT get accepted? I'm just hoping to get a seat here ASAP! I'd totally go here, I liked this more than my other interviews

Same here. I was added recently. I am pretty excited, but what are the odds of coming off the alternate list?

Last edited:
Hm...yeah I was excited until I saw how many other people have the same status...lol

Final pool -> alternate/accepted list 2.4.09

I also was excited but it seems alot of people in the past few days have also had this update. I am now wondering what is the chance of actually getting accepted if one is in the alternate list. Good luck to everyone.

Interviewed in September

Alternate List Acceptance today, 02/08/10

So yeah, I guess we are ALL in the same boat. :cool:

Here's to mucho movement in the coming months!! :thumbup:

AAAAHHHHH!!! I never got an email, but I just checked my status and was accepted to the alternate list!! I know it's not a guaranteed acceptance but it's way exciting since it's my first "semi-acceptance"! Hahaha...yes!

I interviewed 10/23, was final pooled on 12/11, and accepted alternate on 2/8.

Since so many of us are accepted alternate, here's to hoping that most of the 43 original accepted students turn down the offer! Good luck everyone!

AAAAHHHHH!!! I never got an email, but I just checked my status and was accepted to the alternate list!! I know it's not a guaranteed acceptance but it's way exciting since it's my first "semi-acceptance"! Hahaha...yes!

Since so many of us are accepted alternate, here's to hoping that most of the 43 original accepted students turn down the offer! Good luck everyone!

LOL Allie, I'm in the same boat as you. They still haven't contacted me but my online status was updated this morning.

There's likely a fair chance that a good portion of us will eventually be accepted. I wonder if FIU uses an internal ranking system? If so, I wonder if it's possible to inquire where one stands on the "leaderboard"?

Is it just me, or does it really seem like this school just doesn't do post-interview rejections. I don't seem to recall anybody who interviewed getting a straight rejection (instead they were put in the Final Pool), and everyone (so far) who has been final pooled has been put on the alternate list.

I can sort of understand where they're coming from. They're a new, small, and technically unaccredited university, and most people who get into to FIU and a more established institution will probably decline the FIU offer. Therefore, they need as many people as possible to assure that they fill their class.

My problem, I guess, is with this whole accepted/alternate thing.

1) It's named is such a way that instills some false hope. For all intents and purposes, it's a waitlist. Why not just call it what it is?

2) The staff doesn't do much to let you know exactly how fast this lists moves. They told us that it moves very quickly, and that the majority of the inaugural class came from the acc/alt list. It would be really nice to know exactly how many people actually declined an offer at FIU, so that we can sort of use that information to figure out the chances of being *upgraded* to an actual acceptance.

They interviewed 370 people last year for the same class size, so I don't think it's awfully illogical to assume they did the same this year.

Using my previous observation, that pretty much everyone who interviewed was put on *at least* the alt/acc list. The odds of being accepted here after an interview are 1 in 10.

Anyone have the AMSAR data from the 2009 admission cycle for this school to back up or even correct any of the claims that I have made?

D-Funk

Is it just me, or does it really seem like this school just doesn't do post-interview rejections. I don't seem to recall anybody who interviewed getting a straight rejection (instead they were put in the Final Pool), and everyone (so far) who has been final pooled has been put on the alternate list.

I can sort of understand where they're coming from. They're a new, small, and technically unaccredited university, and most people who get into to FIU and a more established institution will probably decline the FIU offer. Therefore, they need as many people as possible to assure that they fill their class.

My problem, I guess, is with this whole accepted/alternate thing.

1) It's named is such a way that instills some false hope. For all intents and purposes, it's a waitlist. Why not just call it what it is?
2) The staff doesn't do much to let you know exactly how fast this lists moves. They told us that it moves very quickly, and that the majority of the inaugural class came from the acc/alt list. It would be really nice to know exactly how many people actually declined an offer at FIU, so that we can sort of use that information to figure out the chances of being *upgraded* to an actual acceptance.

They interviewed 370 people last year for the same class size, so I don't think it's awfully illogical to assume they did the same this year.

Using my previous observation, that pretty much everyone who interviewed was put on *at least* the alt/acc list. The odds of being accepted here after an interview are 1 in 10.

Anyone have the AMSAR data from the 2009 admission cycle for this school to back up or even correct any of the claims that I have made?

D-Funk

Yes, it is a waitlist, not an acceptance. It bothers me they call it "acceptance/alternate list", when it is geniunely 100% wait list.

Yes, it is a waitlist, not an acceptance. It bothers me they call it "acceptance/alternate list", when it is geniunely 100% wait list.

Maybe they don't call it a wait list because they consider their "final pool" list a wait list...? Just my 2 cents.

Is anyone planning on going to the revisit day? I got an email saying the 'Welcome Back' day is on March 8th, but then someone posted in the revisit thread that the second look was March 15th. Are there two??

Hey guys (2013 class here) I'll just wanted let you in on some info. Yes there are two dates one are for those already accepted and the other is for the Alt/wait list pool. If you can make it I think it would a nice opportunity to see the school again and decide if you are still interested. The faculty will be there as well as some students (including me, hopefully) and we will try to answer any questions/concerns you have about the school. (Hopefully) they will give the applicants some opportunity to talk with the current students one on one since I know there will be questions that students may not want to ask in front of professors. I went last year, (I was on the alt/acc-list at the time), I felt that it was a good opportunity to show to the school that I was still interested (they did have a sign in sheet for attendance), might be a good idea to come if you can make it but I'm not on the admissions committee so I have no idea if my attending helped me last year. Also, please don't go if you are just hoping to find out where you are on the wait list, I wanted to know last year and they flat out refused to tell us where we stood, so it may end up being a waste of you time if you come for that reason alone. Either way good luck and hope to see another 43 of you guys in a few months time :)

P.S. I also think the Alternate-accepted wait list is a confusing name (I thought I was basically rejected last year when I was told that I was on the alt-waitlist, because other schools I interviewed at have an alt-wait list and it is basically a lower tiered wait list with little few people ever being accepted from it, almost a rejection list), it should be just called the wait list or or upper tiered wait list or something less confusing.

LOL. I bolded that sentence b/c I'm in the same boat! I'm waitlisted at one other school (they don't call it accepted/alt though) and waiting for my post-interview decisions from two other schools.

It's the best news I have so far. I'm going to the Welcome Back Day on 3/15! :D

So, I think my FIU rejection is my favorite so far.... "Withdrawn before acceptance" as my status... LOL. How political is that?

How about--just write, "REJECTED."

K? Thanks, FIU.

So, I think my FIU rejection is my favorite so far.... "Withdrawn before acceptance" as my status... LOL. How political is that?

K? Thanks, FIU.

Wow, LOL, that's hilarious. Sorry man.

K? Thanks, FIU.

Wow...that's just as bad as Dartmouth's rejection letter. Someone posted that it said something along the lines of "Unfortunately, I have what I believe will be some disappointing news..." Or something along those lines.

The things these med schools come up with...

Wow...that's just as bad as Dartmouth's rejection letter. Someone posted that it said something along the lines of "Unfortunately, I have what I believe will be some disappointing news..." Or something along those lines.

The things these med schools come up with...

I got the same thing. I mean I knew I had little chance because I was a late applicant but at least tell me outright and don't be cryptic. Was dated Feb 4th and never heard anything from them until I just checked my status page.

Well, from experience I know that just about every school feels it necessary to congratulate students on making the wait-list. That to me is far more frustrating. In FIU's case though, I think it's more or less justified since most of their matriculated class will come from the WL. I think last year, somewhere around 4 or 5 didn't come from the WL? Not sure, but I think that's what I heard from a current student.

Hi,
from what they told us at the interview, last year EVERYONE from the "accepted/alternate" list got eventually accepted, and even some people on the "final pool" got in as well. So I guess that's what they call their upper-tier waitlist "accepted/alternate", because they expect everyone in there to be eventually fully accepted (which is not necessarily the case in most schools's upper-tier waiting list)

Regarding the re-visit to campus, I called and specifically asked if attendance had any effect on acceptance decisions, but the lady said very emphatically: "of course not!"

good luck everyone! :D

Hi,
from what they told us at the interview, last year EVERYONE from the "accepted/alternate" list got eventually accepted, and even some people on the "final pool" got in as well. So I guess that's what they call their upper-tier waitlist "accepted/alternate", because they expect everyone in there to be eventually fully accepted (which is not necessarily the case in most schools's upper-tier waiting list)

Regarding the re-visit to campus, I called and specifically asked if attendance had any effect on acceptance decisions, but the lady said very emphatically: "of course not!"

ya...well the confusing part is that a bunch of us were in the final-pool until about a few days ago...when we were put on the accepted/alternate list. I was final-pool post interview, and then just added to the alternate/accepted list, so it's really hard to gauge where I stand...

BTW - I haven't received an e-mail about second look...I'm wondering if that means i'm super low ranked and they don't deem me worthy of coming haha

BTW - I haven't received an e-mail about second look...I'm wondering if that means i'm super low ranked and they don't deem me worthy of coming haha

Me neither. I'm not sure what that means. :cool:

Hi,

Yea, I knew I remembered hearing this. I have yet to receive an e-mail regarding the second look so I don't know what that is all about though.

Yea, I knew I remembered hearing this. I have yet to receive an e-mail regarding the second look so I don't know what that is all about though.

Ok - so if I was on final pool first, then put on accepted/alternate list does that mean I'm counted as one of the final pool ppl or one of the accepted/alternate people? In other words - are there people who were final pooled and still have not heard anything?

Ok - so if I was on final pool first, then put on accepted/alternate list does that mean I'm counted as one of the final pool ppl or one of the accepted/alternate people? In other words - are there people who were final pooled and still have not heard anything?
that's exactly what I'm wondering

I remember feeling so excited last year when I got final pool and then realized i didn't have a shot in hell of getting in. Its a shame. I really liked the school. I probably would've picked where I currently am over it, but there was good energy there.

Not really - I got an invite to that second look thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.