2008-2009 University of Miami Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got a letter from regional campus saying that I was "at least temporarily on the alternate list" and then 2 months later i got accepted

Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard from the Miami campus. I'm "temporarily" on the waitlist for Miami, and on the Alternate list for the regional campus. Both correspondences were sent via email.

So they did one letter for both the main and the regional campus!?! Great Scott! Don't they know we need separate letters to mulll over minutiae?

So does anyone have a regional only letter with the "temporarily" wording?

MotorCycleGuy---I feel your pain!
Chuck, I received an e-mail on Jan 30 (interviewed 1/12 and 1/13; main and regional respectively) from the regional campus at Boca Raton to notify me of my alternate list status WITHOUT the word "temporarily" THEN I received a letter (mailed 2/5) (no e-mail) notifying me of my alternate list status at the main campus, again WITHOUT the word "temporarily", THEN I received another letter the following day (mailed 2/6) telling me that I was placed "at least temporarily on the alternate list at both the Miami campus and at the regional campus in Boca Raton"

Talk about confusing...but then I got another letter in the mail (no e-mail) on Tuesday, March 24 with an offer of acceptance to the regional campus in Boca! So if anyone can interpret what the "temporary alternate list" status means from all my letters and e-mails feel free!!! Hope this helps, but I have a sneaking suspiscion this will only further confuse, but it's better to have all the information right?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Chuck, I received an e-mail on Jan 30 (interviewed 1/12 and 1/13; main and regional respectively) from the regional campus at Boca Raton to notify me of my alternate list status WITHOUT the word "temporarily" THEN I received a letter (mailed 2/5) (no e-mail) notifying me of my alternate list status at the main campus, again WITHOUT the word "temporarily", THEN I received another letter the following day (mailed 2/6) telling me that I was placed "at least temporarily on the alternate list at both the Miami campus and at the regional campus in Boca Raton"

Talk about confusing...but then I got another letter in the mail (no e-mail) on Tuesday, March 24 with an offer of acceptance to the regional campus in Boca! So if anyone can interpret what the "temporary alternate list" status means from all my letters and e-mails feel free!!! Hope this helps, but I have a sneaking suspiscion this will only further confuse, but it's better to have all the information right?!

Wow. Either they messed up and sent you the wrong letters, or you shot up the rankings as people said yes/no?!?

Either way... CONGRATS!

Wow. Either they messed up and sent you the wrong letters, or you shot up the rankings as people said yes/no?!?

Either way... CONGRATS!
Well I hope its the latter rather than the former because that means lots of movement and good things for everyone! And THANK YOU!!

Hey all, I need some advice:

As I posted some time ago, I interviewed at both UM campuses in early February. In late Feb I received a letter in the mail indicating that I had been waitlisted at main campus (not "temporary"). I never received any e-mail correspondence regarding this status update.

I still haven't heard anything post-interview from the regional campus (nothing via e-mail or regular mail). I've called the admissions office three times now (once every two weeks for the last month or so), and every time they've told me that I'd be hearing back "soon."

I don't want to call again because they may get annoyed. But I don't understand why I still haven't heard back or why they keep telling me "soon" every time I call. I'm getting concerned now (did they lose my application? or was I silently rejected?), especially since people who interviewed much later than me have already received their post-interview update letters.

I guess I don't have any specific questions to ask... I just wanted to see if any of you have had similar experiences or have any words of wisdom to share. I know there's nothing I can do but continue being patient... I'm just so anxious after almost two months of waiting :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
STR, I would call back in two weeks and explain why you are worried and ask if there is any extenuating circumstance you should know about or if this is typical. Accept their answer, but show interest. I don't think calling every 2 weeks is a bad idea.

Wish I had more info for you. Keeping my fingers :xf: for all of us!

Hey all, I need some advice:

As I posted some time ago, I interviewed at both UM campuses in early February. In late Feb I received a letter in the mail indicating that I had been waitlisted at main campus (not "temporary"). I never received any e-mail correspondence regarding this status update.

I still haven't heard anything post-interview from the regional campus (nothing via e-mail or regular mail). I've called the admissions office three times now (once every two weeks for the last month or so), and every time they've told me that I'd be hearing back "soon."

I don't want to call again because they may get annoyed. But I don't understand why I still haven't heard back or why they keep telling me "soon" every time I call. I'm getting concerned now (did they lose my application? or was I silently rejected?), especially since people who interviewed much later than me have already received their post-interview update letters.

I guess I don't have any specific questions to ask... I just wanted to see if any of you have had similar experiences or have any words of wisdom to share. I know there's nothing I can do but continue being patient... I'm just so anxious after almost two months of waiting :confused:

Hmm, maybe your interviewer is taking his/her time to write up your interview report. I don't know how often the adcom at the regional campus meets but my interviewer this cycle took his time with my application to get to know my files. He submitted his interview results for a later adcom meeting than the others that interviewed on the same day as me so I heard quite a bit later (1.5+ months probably). That might be why, which could be a very good thing. In addition, if the regional campus meets even less than the main campus, it could take longer.

But yea, I would still call back, explain the situation and ask politely like CRF said. Maybe they'll give you slightly more info if you explain your case. When I called, I asked question that just slightly pushed the boundary every time to find where the boundary was :) Or if you think a question is really pushing it just tag something along the lines of "or are you not allowed to release that information?" to the end of the question; never fails.

Hey all, I've been scanning craigslist every few days for a place to live and I've just recently seen axis on brickell drop in price substantially. For no reason other than to make conversation and keep our thread on page 1, I was wondering if anyone's been to the building/is familiar with the area and can comment on this (i mean, aside from the toxic mortgage crisis and rampant speculation that occurs in Miami).

Hey all, I've been scanning craigslist every few days for a place to live and I've just recently seen axis on brickell drop in price substantially. For no reason other than to make conversation and keep our thread on page 1, I was wondering if anyone's been to the building/is familiar with the area and can comment on this (i mean, aside from the toxic mortgage crisis and rampant speculation that occurs in Miami).

Yea I've been looking for places too but haven't really noticed a big drop in axis. Here's a website that I strongly recommend - http://www.miamicondoinvestments.com/web/miami-condo-buildings.php - very up to date too.

Chuck, Spicy, Xiaoyi and Parrot:

I interviewed on 3/12 (Regional) and was told the class was full and that I would be placed on the waitlist. On 3/25, I got a call late afternoon/early evening from my interviewer congratulating me on my acceptance.

It was my first acceptance and I was certainly surprised (but excited!), especially since I was told the class was full.

All that to say... the process is random. Not only at UM, but every other school as well. It is sad but true-- looking to minutiae, supposed methods of communication, or tentative dates for answers is unfortunately futile. This is something I learned the hard way MANY times this application cycle.

My UM interviews were the first set where I didn't ask (or care to ask) when I would hear back. All the anticipation and hoping that certain things would happen during specific time frames had thus far only burnt me out. It is a process that is out of my control and will happen regardless of my input.

It's just damn hard to be patient.

I'm not knocking the discussions; in fact, I think they are great because it shows you all are really passionate about UM as well as medicine. Just like you wouldn't bet on a horse with scattershot performance, don't place too much effort into trying to figure this process out.

DISCLAIMER: I attend FAU for undergraduate and know a couple of the medical school faculty, so I think that may have given me an unfair advantage.

P.S. RSAgator:I hear lots of really great things about Brickell, though I've never been there.

I don't think it's unfair, I think you probably interviewed well and got ranked higher than we did :) Congrats!

Thanks Chuck!

Man... are they going to give you moderator status yet? You can read, assess, and reply in mere nanoseconds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Chuck!

Man... are they going to give you moderator status yet? You can read, assess, and reply in mere nanoseconds.

I don't know if I've ever been up for Mod-ship; more likely my speed is representative of my internet addiction.

Just ask my gf. :p

I interviewed on 3/12 (Regional) and was told the class was full and that I would be placed on the waitlist. On 3/25, I got a call late afternoon/early evening from my interviewer congratulating me on my acceptance.

It was my first acceptance and I was certainly surprised (but excited!), especially since I was told the class was full.

All that to say... the process is random. Not only at UM, but every other school as well. It is sad but true-- looking to minutiae, supposed methods of communication, or tentative dates for answers is unfortunately futile. This is something I learned the hard way MANY times this application cycle.

My UM interviews were the first set where I didn't ask (or care to ask) when I would hear back. All the anticipation and hoping that certain things would happen during specific time frames had thus far only burnt me out. It is a process that is out of my control and will happen regardless of my input.

I'm not knocking the discussions; in fact, I think they are great because it shows you all are really passionate about UM as well as medicine. Just like you wouldn't bet on a horse with scattershot performance, don't place too much effort into trying to figure this process out.

DISCLAIMER: I attend FAU for undergraduate and know a couple of the medical school faculty, so I think that may have given me an unfair advantage.

P.S. RSAgator:I hear lots of really great things about Brickell, though I've never been there.

Congrats buddy. I'll see you in august then?

I don't think your acquaintances helped. The process is VERY insulated. It's pretty suspicious for a committee to review your file, vote on it, and then a few months later for someone to bring your name back up randomly; especially since the committee is pretty big and to significantly alter your chances requires a lot of adcom to change their scoring.

As for the process, that's the point I was trying to make. Whenever someone had a theory, I had a counter example from either my own personal experience or that of a friend's. Looks like the waitlist is starting to move a bit though. I think I mentioned something ab movement in late march in previous posts.

From last year and the year before's trends, list moved a bit at end of march. Pretty much stopped in april. Then moved a bit in early/mid may and semi-continuous through june, then sporadically to early july.

Either way, congrats again and good luck to the rest of you.

So they did one letter for both the main and the regional campus!?! Great Scott! Don't they know we need separate letters to mulll over minutiae?

So does anyone have a regional only letter with the "temporarily" wording?

MotorCycleGuy---I feel your pain!

Chuck, I really do hope you get in to the Boca campus...for this thread's sake...it's getting filled up with Chuck's comments :)

Thanks for the comments guys. I will wait another week before calling back to inquire further.

Congrats to everyone who've been accepted recently. Although I do think this process is a bit random at times (e.g. why haven't I at least been waitlisted or rejected yet?), I know that those who get in really deserve it :)

Hey SDK,

Congrats on ur acceptance !!! Are you sure you were interviewed on the 12th of March though ? I was interviewed on 2/20 I found out I was placed on the WL on the 25th of March. And were you actually ever placed on the WL, or were you just given the acceptance ? I cant believe they made there decision so fast after interviewing you, they must have really liked you. If you dont mind me asking, what were your MCAT / GPA scores ? Also, have you heard back from the Miami campus yet ? And did you write Boca a LOI ?

Xiaoyi,
Thanks! And yes, unless any drastic changes shall take place you'll probably see me in August. I know my "acquaintances" helped. Believe me, I worked hard for this, but there were definitely some unforeseen "events" and decisions I made early on that really came to my advantage, such as attending FAU for undergraduate. And yes, this process is random indeed.

Spicy,
Thanks for the congratulations! In the words of the prophet "Journey", "Don't stop... believing..."

Jay,
Yes, I'm positive I interviewed on 3/12. Lol. Like I said, I'm not sure exactly how the process works but I know for a fact that it is random. I also know I currently attend FAU for undergraduate and that I have been known to excel at interviews. In the pursuit of becoming a physician, I also made advantageous decisions and sought wise counsel; both have come back to help me immensely. I was not placed on the waitlist, but I was led to believe that I would be. I have yet to hear back from Miami, but I interviewed there a week later than Boca. My MCAT and GPA are nothing stellar (in the range of 3.5-3.9 + 29Q-33S), but like I said, I interview well and I have a ton of ECs that strongly support the reasons I want to become a doctor... When I say I want to help people, they know I'm serious.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Do any of you know when the "temporary" waitlist began (i.e. when UM started to differentiate between the regular waitlist and the better waitlist)?

I remember Dean Weisman saying that the class was already full, but I don't recall anything about "temporary" vs. "regular." As I mentioned before, my letter from main campus doesn't have the word "temporary" in it. Does this mean that my chances at getting in are significantly lowered. Or is there a possibility that the temporary waitlist was established after my interview batch?

Hey guys,

Do any of you know when the "temporary" waitlist began (i.e. when UM started to differentiate between the regular waitlist and the better waitlist)?

I remember Dean Weisman saying that the class was already full, but I don't recall anything about "temporary" vs. "regular." As I mentioned before, my letter from main campus doesn't have the word "temporary" in it. Does this mean that my chances at getting in are significantly lowered. Or is there a possibility that the temporary waitlist was established after my interview batch?

When was your interview? If the class was full, they were doing "Temporarily" on the alternate list. It means you have less of a chance, but how much smaller remains to be seen.

When was your interview? If the class was full, they were doing "Temporarily" on the alternate list. It means you have less of a chance, but how much smaller remains to be seen.

That's a real bummer :( I interviewed the first week of February. They told us then that everyone would be waitlisted because the class was already full... I guess I missed the "temporary" vs. "normal" part.

There have been cases where people on the normal list were accepted right? And some people on these forums were moved from the "normal" to the "temporary"? I'm just trying to stay as optimistic as possible :xf:

That's a real bummer :( I interviewed the first week of February. They told us then that everyone would be waitlisted because the class was already full... I guess I missed the "temporary" vs. "normal" part.

There have been cases where people on the normal list were accepted right? And some people on these forums were moved from the "normal" to the "temporary"? I'm just trying to stay as optimistic as possible :xf:

Yes. Those specific instances have occured (either this year or in previous years). You definitely should have hope!!!

hahaha. way to cheer for yourself CRF. it's like that chappelle show episode with the rapper in the barbershop.

STR, they dont "move" you with another email or letter or anything. Your ranking on the waitlist just moves up. All you need to worry ab is your placement on the ranked waitlist. They should really just stop using 2 different emails, way too much unnecessary confusion.

JayBMD, did you get the PM i sent you?

Last edited:
Snail letter from regional campus had "at least temporarily" wording, but email did not.

I give up! :) Also, it came in a large flat envelope, not business sized. Freaked me out for a second.

Last edited:
does anyone know when the financial aid packages come out and if we're supposed to faxed forms to them? I have never received a notice from them receiving my FAFSA...

Snail letter from regional campus had "at least temporarily" wording, but email did not.

I give up! :) Also, it came in a large flat envelope, not business sized. Freaked me out for a second.

That is great news and a promising sign. I dont think the emails have the temporary wording in them. Good luck

Anyone know tuition and Cost Of Attendance numbers or have a link to the info? I just received a scholarship offer and had pretty much written them off.. I'd like to crunch some numbers and see if it's worth it. Thanks!

I interviewed on the absolute last day, 3/27. I remember being told that the adcom would meet in April, but I forgot what day... anyone know? Thanks!

Anyone who interviewed @ main campus on 3/13 get news yet?

Sorry, don't know the date of the next Adcom meeting. Anyone hear any news recently?!?

did neone receive a confirmation that the school received our fafsa? thanks.

Regional campus admissions committee is literally meeting this very moment. I just passed by the board room.

Best of luck to everyone!

Any main campus news? Mtg was yesterday I believe...

I just called and they said the meeting is next Wednesday. Another week of waiting. Joy.

Haha. Hmmm, maybe there is no "meeting" :) So confused, but thanks for calling!

Hey everyone,
I understand that if you are placed on the alternate list there is no way of finding out where on the list you actually are placed but do you guys know if there is a way to get any indication at all? Will the office say anything like upper quartile for example? Just trying to get through this waitlist period, Miami is my top school and I want to stop worrying =)

They won't tell you anything regarding your quartile or anything. If you're lucky, they might toss you some info if you ask them for some indirect info. Maybe say something regarding to your summer plans and hint at how whether you're accepted at UM might affect them so you want to make plans accordingly, and if you're lucky you'll get some tiny hint. I dunno, just something to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.