2008-2009 University of Miami Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Kids,

I interviewed at UM (Miami Campus) recently and Dean Weisman (Dean of Admissions) thoroughly explained the current situation.

They have handed out enough acceptances to fill the class. However, many of those given acceptances have acceptances elsewhere... I believe the dean cited one wonderkid (or bastard, depending on how you look at it) with 12 other acceptances.

I believe the last time it was put to "stats", Miami interviewed 425ish and accepted 350ish (I can't remember the exact numbers, but something similar came up on screen.)

As far as the waitlist goes, the dean said that "historically" those placed "temporarily on the waitlist" received acceptances. xiaoyi666's situation seems to be the exception, not the rule. He also mentioned that if you were placed on the plain old waitlist, not to lose heart as there is often a lot of movement there as well.

Also, I met a student whose friend got accepted the day before classes started... so do not lose hope, my friends.

Miami is great and I'd love to go there. Hopefully with Chuck's Right Foot, 3pin3phrine, and the rest of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty much the same boat. I called and we should hear back after the middle of next week (their next adcom meeting).

When I called the FAU office a few weeks ago the lady told me that I should've heard back already. Then she told me to call main campus for more info. So I called the admissions department at main campus. The first time the receptionist there said that a letter had already been sent, and that she'd mail out another one just in case. I waited a few weeks and didn't get anything, so I called again. That time the lady said the letters would be sent within the next few days. I waited another two weeks and still nothing. Last week I called back for the third time. This time the lady told me that the admissions committee is meeting on March 25 and that I should hear back around then.

I'm a little puzzled as to why I've been told different things by different people. It almost seems like there's been some miscommunication between the two campuses, as well as some internal confusion within main campus itself.

Do the two campuses have independent admissions committees? I was under the impression that they do since we interviewed separately at each school (and with faculty representing one school or the other). But the lady at the main campus made it seem like the folks at Miami would be deciding my fate at Boca as well...?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I called the FAU office a few weeks ago the lady told me that I should've heard back already. Then she told me to call main campus for more info. So I called the admissions department at main campus. The first time the receptionist there said that a letter had already been sent, and that she'd mail out another one just in case. I waited a few weeks and didn't get anything, so I called again. That time the lady said the letters would be sent within the next few days. I waited another two weeks and still nothing. Last week I called back for the third time. This time the lady told me that the admissions committee is meeting on March 25 and that I should hear back around then.

I'm a little puzzled as to why I've been told different things by different people. It almost seems like there's been some miscommunication between the two campuses, as well as some internal confusion within main campus itself.

Do the two campuses have independent admissions committees? I was under the impression that they do since we interviewed separately at each school (and with faculty representing one school or the other). But the lady at the main campus made it seem like the folks at Miami would be deciding my fate at Boca as well...?

IIRC, there are two decisions made on your Boca candidacy. First round is from the Boca campus and the second, and final decision is from the Main adcom. So, it is a double hurdle....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Kids,

I interviewed at UM (Miami Campus) recently and Dean Weisman (Dean of Admissions) thoroughly explained the current situation.

They have handed out enough acceptances to fill the class. However, many of those given acceptances have acceptances elsewhere... I believe the dean cited one wonderkid (or bastard, depending on how you look at it) with 12 other acceptances.

I believe the last time it was put to "stats", Miami interviewed 425ish and accepted 350ish (I can't remember the exact numbers, but something similar came up on screen.)

As far as the waitlist goes, the dean said that "historically" those placed "temporarily on the waitlist" received acceptances. xiaoyi666's situation seems to be the exception, not the rule. He also mentioned that if you were placed on the plain old waitlist, not to lose heart as there is often a lot of movement there as well.

Also, I met a student whose friend got accepted the day before classes started... so do not lose hope, my friends.

Miami is great and I'd love to go there. Hopefully with Chuck's Right Foot, 3pin3phrine, and the rest of you.

Awesome. thanks for the info. Good luck!

I just got an Acceptance Letter in the Mail!!! Thank You Jesus!
To Boca Campus for those wondering. It is one of my top choices and considering I go to school at FAU im happy i have the option to stay home.

I hope you guys also here good news soon.

I just got an Acceptance Letter in the Mail!!! Thank You Jesus!
To Boca Campus for those wondering. It is one of my top choices and considering I go to school at FAU im happy i have the option to stay home.

I hope you guys also here good news soon.

Congrats! When did you interview? No email? Just snailmail?

Congrats! When did you interview? No email? Just snailmail?

I interviewed at the end of the November, I got waitlisted by both schools in January. The I got an acceptance letter by snailmail today. No email

Thanks for the info! The lists must be moving now that people have decided on which campus they want to attend.

Congratulations! Boca is awesome.

Fiko, congratulations, that's awesome!

Chuck's Right Foot, hopefully this means we'll both hear some good news soon.

Congratulations Fiko. Still wishing CRF and spicytunaroll luck....although i don't like spicy tuna rolls that much. dragon rolls are better.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys, I prefer spicy crab rolls lol

Meeting today. Hoping for lots of movement!!! :)

Check out my sig for a counter down till May 15th.

I wonder how my dog would do in Florida weather....:laugh:

Those who received wl decisions or acceptances vis-a-vis email, what time did they arrive? Mine for the main campus came at 7:30pm....

Those who received wl decisions or acceptances vis-a-vis email, what time did they arrive? Mine for the main campus came at 7:30pm....

I actually never got an e-mail regarding my waitlist at main campus, only regular mail. It's a bit strange they don't stick to one format. You never know how they're gonna contact you or when...

I actually never got an e-mail regarding my waitlist at main campus, only regular mail. It's a bit strange they don't stick to one format. You never know how they're gonna contact you or when...
Interesting.... No spam filter that snagged it?

Looking over my interview invite email and WL to Main email, they were both sent after EOD, so I would expect IF we get emails for them to come after 6 and before 8 pm.

I could be wrong or I could be right ;) Either way I am obsessive. Awesome... I'm the top poster in this thread!

Interesting.... No spam filter that snagged it?

Looking over my interview invite email and WL to Main email, they were both sent after EOD, so I would expect IF we get emails for them to come after 6 and before 8 pm.

I could be wrong or I could be right ;) Either way I am obsessive. Awesome... I'm the top poster in this thread!

I'm pretty sure my spam filter didn't take it, as every now and then I go through my spam box for misplaced messages.

You might be right w/ your time prediction. I received my interview invite around 6:30, but it was on a Monday.

I'm pretty sure my spam filter didn't take it, as every now and then I go through my spam box for misplaced messages.

You might be right w/ your time prediction. I received my interview invite around 6:30, but it was on a Monday.

I also predict water to be wet, so I'll be batting at least .500

Decision was made (called Admissions) but they are unable to tell me what the decision is. Expecting email later today or tomorrow.

Is this temporary waitlist only for those who interviewed a bit later in the cycle?

I interviewed in october and was placed on the alternate list in november and didnt hear anything about a temporary list...

Im just wondering whether i still have a realistic chance of getting off this waitlist

Is this temporary waitlist only for those who interviewed a bit later in the cycle?

I interviewed in october and was placed on the alternate list in november and didnt hear anything about a temporary list...

Im just wondering whether i still have a realistic chance of getting off this waitlist

I don't know. Very good question. Maybe you could call and ask?

Do they have "temporarily" placed on the alternate list 'status' for Boca, or just alternate list? AbujaMan, I believe "temporarily" on alternate list is only for later interviewees because it basically means you would have been accepted if the class wasn't already full. I think...

Actually, i don't think they call... do they? Off to check the acceptance thread!

I'm expecting this to be either a waitlist or rejection, since they usually call for acceptances? :xf:

This is not true. My friend applied to Miami-Miller main campus two years ago and was waitlisted. He later received an email notifying him of an acceptance (without any phone calls), followed by snail mail in a week.
I not not trying to get you any false hope, but I think you have a better chance of being accepted than rejected if an email is coming. Firstly, it is reasonable to assume that med schools want to give you the good news quickly (by email), and the bad news slowly (by snail mail). Secondly, Miami very rarely rejects applicants. Those that were not accepted initially are usually put on waitlists until an opening occurs.

just got an alternate waitlist email from boca a few hours ago... anyone else ? does anyone know if boca has two seperate waitlists like the miami campus ? i really hope i get in ...

just got an alternate waitlist email from boca a few hours ago... anyone else ? does anyone know if boca has two seperate waitlists like the miami campus ? i really hope i get in ...

Hi JayBMD,

I don't know if they do temporary wait list vs. not at Boca. I will call and ask though!

BRB.

JayBMD:

I just called and they said the situation is identical at Boca... there is a 'temporarily placed" and "placed" on alternate list wording based on your location on the wait list.

would you mind sharing the wording of your email?

Jay, if you don't mind telling us, when did you interview at Boca?

chuck, i just called and asked and they told me for boca there wasnt a temp waitlist, they said boca has only 1 waitlist. i wonder why they told us two different things... I interviewed late february...

chuck, i just called and asked and they told me for boca there wasnt a temp waitlist, they said boca has only 1 waitlist. i wonder why they told us two different things... I interviewed late february...

Hmm. Very strange. In either case, good luck! We can't really control anything anyway.

I wonder if it was how we phrased it... My understanding is there is only 1 WL, but they use an adjective if you are in a certain range on the WL... If/when I get a WL letter, we can compare.

Do you prefer Boca to Miami main?

I don't know if this is going to help or further confuse everyone about the subject of temporary waitlists, but the letter I received in the mail post-interview stated that I was placed "temporarily at least, on the alternate list at both the Miami campus and regional campus in Boca Raton." Based on this, one could read it as though both campuses employ the "temporary wait-list" ...it's stil pretty vague though...

Also, does anyone know if you are placed on the alternate list at both campuses and then receive an offer of acceptance to one campus (and have not yet heard from the other campus) are you still on the alternate list at the other campus??

Thank you!

I don't know if this is going to help or further confuse everyone about the subject of temporary waitlists, but the letter I received in the mail post-interview stated that I was placed "temporarily at least, on the alternate list at both the Miami campus and regional campus in Boca Raton." Based on this, one could read it as though both campuses employ the "temporary wait-list" ...it's stil pretty vague though...

Also, does anyone know if you are placed on the alternate list at both campuses and then receive an offer of acceptance to one campus (and have not yet heard from the other campus) are you still on the alternate list at the other campus??

Thank you!

I'm pretty sure you're still on the alternate list at the other campus. The two campuses almost operate like separate schools sometimes.

My email for Miami said this:
Miami Main Campus said:
I apologize for contacting you in such an impersonal way but the Committee has reached a decision on your application. After careful review and discussion they have placed you temporarily on the alternate list at the Medical Campus in Miami. A formal letter to this effect will be sent to you so look for it in the mail over the next few days.

My email for FAU said this:
Miami FAU Campus said:
I apologize for contacting you in such an impersonal way but the Committee has reached a decision on your application. After carefull review and discussion they have placed you on the alternate list at the Regional Campus at FAU. A formal letter to this effect will be sent to you so look for it in the mail over the next few days.

Don't have the physical letter from FAU yet though. Emphasis mine on the first quote.

I'm pretty sure you're still on the alternate list at the other campus. The two campuses almost operate like separate schools sometimes.

This is my understanding and was confirmed during interview @ Miami main campus.

But does anyone have an estimate of how many people do not get off the alternate list at the miami campus? I know the figures change annually and are contingent on how many people deny their acceptance, just wondering if anyone had info regarding past cycles.

Thanks.

I just got placed on the alternate list at the regional campus. I'm hoping for lots of movement. I havent heard any official word from the Miami campus yet. I think the best I can hope for right now is a temporary alternate list.

Thank you!

So they did one letter for both the main and the regional campus!?! Great Scott! Don't they know we need separate letters to mulll over minutiae?

So does anyone have a regional only letter with the "temporarily" wording?

MotorCycleGuy---I feel your pain!

i got a letter from regional campus saying that I was "at least temporarily on the alternate list" and then 2 months later i got accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.