2008-2009 SUNY Downstate Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I interviewed at downstate 6 months ago. I am trying to decide between schools. I was wondering if Downstate was P/F for the first two years or if it was on a regular grading system?

Thanks in advance!

Regular grading system - at least for first year so I'm assuming second year is as well

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I interviewed at downstate 6 months ago. I am trying to decide between schools. I was wondering if Downstate was P/F for the first two years or if it was on a regular grading system?

Thanks in advance!

i believe it is something like honors/high pass/pass/fail

maybe not exactly called those above, but it's something of those levels

Honors: 90 and above
High Pass: 85-89
Pass: 68-84
Fail: 67 and below

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

MS2 at downstate here. Our grading is Honors (90%+), high pass (85-90%), pass (68-85%), fail (below 68%). If the class does poorly overall, then they lower the cutoffs, but they're never raised. So theoretically if everyone got over 90 then everyone get's honors.

you might want to ask ms1 questions in this thread (downstate c/o 2013):

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=590880&page=4

Hey guys, tomorrow will be exactly 4 weeks from my interview at Downstate... can someone tell me if they mail out their decision to your permanent address, or the temporary address where you reside for college?? Thanks.

Also, its quite late in the cycle, so I was wondering what there average waiting time is after the interview... i was told between 4-6 weeks.

5 weeks for me today :scared:

Hey guys, tomorrow will be exactly 4 weeks from my interview at Downstate... can someone tell me if they mail out their decision to your permanent address, or the temporary address where you reside for college?? Thanks.

Also, its quite late in the cycle, so I was wondering what there average waiting time is after the interview... i was told between 4-6 weeks.

You can do a simple search on this thread, but IIRC admissions told me it usually takes 6-8 weeks, with 2 more weeks give or take. I didn't hear back till 12 weeks after interview. Hang in there.

10 weeks for me... preferred address

hang_in_there_kitty.jpg

Its been almost 10 weeks for me. Downstate is my top choice and the wait is tough, so I sympathize.

But hey, at least you got an interview.

Okay so I am pretty terrified. I interviewed in mid Jan, I called today and I was told that "I should receive my decision shortly". I can still log onto the admissions site application check, which I could not do last year after I was rejected. Did anyone who was either accepted or rejected notice any signs of their decision prior to receiving it in the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay so I am pretty terrified. I interviewed in mid Jan, I called today and I was told that "I should receive my decision shortly". I can still log onto the admissions site application check, which I could not do last year after I was rejected. Did anyone who was either accepted or rejected notice any signs of their decision prior to receiving it in the mail.

no way... there's a online status check for downstate??

Well, there is the application status check that lets you know that they have received all of your materials. Last year, I was prevented from accessing this site prior to I actually received my rejection. I can still access it which gives me a tiny sliver of hope

My application status page remained the same for me, even after a decision was made.

Nope, you can't check your interview status online.

Received an 'Alternate List' letter today, snail mail. Came in a manila envelope. I interviewed 1/14.

Any one else received the alternate letter yet?

I just got a letter informing me that I am on the "alternate list". The letter says that the class was full... did anyone receive an acceptance in the past couple of days? Also, does anyone know how much Downstate's waitlist tends to move?

I just got a letter informing me that I am on the "alternate list". The letter says that the class was full... did anyone receive an acceptance in the past couple of days? Also, does anyone know how much Downstate's waitlist tends to move?

So does Downstate not over-accept and just pull off the waitlist as people withdraw?

So does Downstate not over-accept and just pull off the waitlist as people withdraw?

Hmm..not sure, but it sounds like it. Most likely, seats will become more available by May 15th as people withdraw.

omg the class is full? :scared:

are they rejecting post interview yet, or putting everyone on the alternate list? I interviewed 1/20 and am still waiting :0

are they rejecting post interview yet, or putting everyone on the alternate list? I interviewed 1/20 and am still waiting :0

They are rejecting post-interview

This year it looks like everyone, prior to March, who was waitlisted was placed on "hold". They apparently just started to form the "alternate list". From what I can guess, this seems marginally better than "hold" because holds can be rejected and are rarely accepted before being placed on the alternate list first. I really couldn't be certain though. From what I read last year, it seems that not very many people were put on the Alternate list before spending some time on the Hold list, so maybe things are different this year. I wish they would give us a better understanding of what is going on.

okay um... this may sound really silly... but how is the hold and alternate list different from the waitlist?!?!? i am sooooo confused. I interviewed in mid feb, so there could be 5 outcomes?? acceptance, rejection, waitlist, hold, and alternate listed??? can someone clarify for me? thanks!!!

okay um... this may sound really silly... but how is the hold and alternate list different from the waitlist?!?!? i am sooooo confused. I interviewed in mid feb, so there could be 5 outcomes?? acceptance, rejection, waitlist, hold, and alternate listed??? can someone clarify for me? thanks!!!

ha ha there is is no "waitlist" so there are only four outcomes: Acceptance, Alternate, Hold, Rejection. The Alternate list, for all intents and purposes is a waitlist. The Hold List, is a group of people who's applications are going to be reviewed again in June (or there abouts). For these people, the choices in June are pretty much Alternate List or Rejection (occassionally I think some people will be accepted right off the hold list, but I don't think this happens often.)

If anyone sees any mistakes in any of my descriptions, by all means correct them.

yeah i'm wondering the sme thing too. i think the waitlist = alternate list, but that "hold" list is the one to get onto the alternate list..??..... yeah..

but crap, no more spots in the class as of now?

yeah i'm wondering the sme thing too. i think the waitlist = alternate list, but that "hold" list is the one to get onto the alternate list..??..... yeah..

but crap, no more spots in the class as of now?

Alternate list is their version of a waitlist, and if you're placed on "hold" for spring consideration, that basically means you can either be rejected later on or placed into the alternate category.

I withdrew. There's a spot for ya... good luck!

It sucks that the class is full and ppl are being placed on hold/alt. list

Looks like i know what to expect...(interviewed early january)

The class is full??? I interviewed in mid feb, does that mean my best shot is being placed on the alternate list??? How likely are ppl to be accepted from the alternate list?? Sogun where are uuuuuuu!!! lol

Yeh I interviewed February 9th and I am also wondering whether alternate list is now my best chance

Jericho,

Your letter explicitly stated you were on an "alternate list?" Did you spend any time on as "Hold for Spring Consideration?" When did you interview?

I interviewed 1-21 and found out 8 weeks to the day 3-21 that I was placed on the Hold list (though the letter was postmarked 3-17.)

How are other people who interviewed in or after January faring?

Does anyone have any definitive info on what the hold means, and what our chances are?

I talked to my friend yesterday (who is a 3rd yr at Downstate) and he told me his brother who is currently a first year there was accepted in early April after interviewing in February (of last yr). No hold or alt. list for him. So i guess maybe this year there are a lot more applicants/?

According to a couple of you guys, you've received letters saying that the class is full. Kind of surprised (and disappointed). My friend said there will be movement and that the class isn't full (but I'm not sure if thats his guess or whatever).

The wait continues...(10+weeks since my interview, ugh)

would it be possible that as spots open up (especially since some schools NYU, columbia ect. have just given out alot of acceptances and some people will withdraw from downstate) that spots will open up at downstate for those who interviewed in Feb? this is what i am hoping for anyways since downstate is my top choice and i am kind of annoyed that the class is full already.

I talked to my friend yesterday (who is a 3rd yr at Downstate) and he told me his brother who is currently a first year there was accepted in early April after interviewing in February (of last yr). No hold or alt. list for him. So i guess maybe this year there are a lot more applicants/?

According to a couple of you guys, you've received letters saying that the class is full. Kind of surprised (and disappointed). My friend said there will be movement and that the class isn't full (but I'm not sure if thats his guess or whatever).

The wait continues...(10+weeks since my interview, ugh)

Just because the class is full now doesn't mean it will stay that way. There has been waitlist movement in the past.

would it be possible that as spots open up (especially since some schools NYU, columbia ect. have just given out alot of acceptances and some people will withdraw from downstate) that spots will open up at downstate for those who interviewed in Feb? this is what i am hoping for anyways since downstate is my top choice and i am kind of annoyed that the class is full already.

It is highly possible. I know a couple of non-SDN people who have been accepted to Downstate and other top-tier schools and are in the process of withdrawing.

Just because the class is full now doesn't mean it will stay that way. There has been waitlist movement in the past.

It is highly possible. I know a couple of non-SDN people who have been accepted to Downstate and other top-tier schools and are in the process of withdrawing.

Well thats good to know, especially considering Downstate is my top choice and I've been patiently waiting for 10 weekssss

Jericho,

Your letter explicitly stated you were on an "alternate list?" Did you spend any time on as "Hold for Spring Consideration?" When did you interview?

I interviewed 1-21 and found out 8 weeks to the day 3-21 that I was placed on the Hold list (though the letter was postmarked 3-17.)

How are other people who interviewed in or after January faring?

Does anyone have any definitive info on what the hold means, and what our chances are?

I interviewed the week of January 12th. My letter was also dated March 17th, I received it on March 20th. It said the following

"Thank you for your application to our College of Medicine, and your interest in SUNY Downstate Medical Center. I am writing to bring you up to date on the status of your application for admission to SUNY Downstate Medical Center, College of Medicine's 2009 entering class.

Our entering clas is full, but our Admission Committee has selected you to be placed on our ALTERNATE LIST of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class. Please indicate your interest in our ALTERNATE LIST by returning the alternate response form. Be sure to include a telephone number and address where you may be reached now and throughout summer"

It came in a manilla envelope and included the response form, a bunch of medical forms that I am supposed to have have submitted by July 1st, financial aid information, and a request that I take an American Heart Association BLS course by August 3rd. This was the first I have heard from them since I interviewed and I have spent no time on the hold list. What did your your "hold list" letter say?

Every school has waitlist movement. I know it's hard, but keep busy, stay hopeful and hang in there.

Ok. so I talked to some of my friends and they have withdrawn from Downstate this week. Hopefully there will be movement. Good luck.

I interviewed the week of January 12th. My letter was also dated March 17th, I received it on March 20th. It said the following

"Thank you for your application to our College of Medicine, and your interest in SUNY Downstate Medical Center. I am writing to bring you up to date on the status of your application for admission to SUNY Downstate Medical Center, College of Medicine's 2009 entering class.

Our entering clas is full, but our Admission Committee has selected you to be placed on our ALTERNATE LIST of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class. Please indicate your interest in our ALTERNATE LIST by returning the alternate response form. Be sure to include a telephone number and address where you may be reached now and throughout summer"

It came in a manilla envelope and included the response form, a bunch of medical forms that I am supposed to have have submitted by July 1st, financial aid information, and a request that I take an American Heart Association BLS course by August 3rd. This was the first I have heard from them since I interviewed and I have spent no time on the hold list. What did your your "hold list" letter say?
if they ask for all of this stuff hopefully it means you have a good chance of getting in because i have never heard of a school giving out medical forms and financial aid info for a waitlist.

if they ask for all of this stuff hopefully it means you have a good chance of getting in because i have never heard of a school giving out medical forms and financial aid info for a waitlist.

I agree. Why else would they waste their time sending out these forms if they don't think you have a chance of getting in?

Jericho,

My letter says, in part, "Our admisssions committee [...] has decided to place your application in the 'Hold for Spring Consideration.' This means that the admisssions committee chose not to render a decision on your application at this time. The Admisssions committee will re-review your application in late Spring for a final decision on your admisssions status."

Obviously, two completely different letters. Meaning there is a alternate list, and then there is a hold for consideration.

My guess: the school would've accepted the alternates had there been seats available. Once seats open up, they will be offered to you.

A hold then is basically the kiss of death.

It's not what I was hoping to hear, but at least I know where I stand.

Thanks buddy.

i promised myself i wouldn't touch the SDN school specific forums this weekend...

*sigh* big mistake lol

Jericho,

My letter says, in part, "Our admisssions committee [...] has decided to place your application in the 'Hold for Spring Consideration.' This means that the admisssions committee chose not to render a decision on your application at this time. The Admisssions committee will re-review your application in late Spring for a final decision on your admisssions status."

Obviously, two completely different letters. Meaning there is a alternate list, and then there is a hold for consideration.

My guess: the school would've accepted the alternates had there been seats available. Once seats open up, they will be offered to you.

A hold then is basically the kiss of death.

It's not what I was hoping to hear, but at least I know where I stand.

Thanks buddy.

Your welcome, we really can't be sure exactly what the difference between Hold and Alternate. I have heard of people getting accepted directly from hold... but I have also heard that almost never happens. I wish they would just give us a better sense of all this. When should we expect any movement on the alternate list?

I agree. Why else would they waste their time sending out these forms if they don't think you have a chance of getting in?

Not sure about medical forms but I think financial aid info is kinda common. I was on a few waitlists and they asked me to fill out FAFSA and other things. My guess is that it helps facilitate things when it comes time to finalize the class. There's probably a lot of number crunching with financial aid and even more paperwork between the school, the lenders, and the government.

Your welcome, we really can't be sure exactly what the difference between Hold and Alternate. I have heard of people getting accepted directly from hold... but I have also heard that almost never happens. I wish they would just give us a better sense of all this. When should we expect any movement on the alternate list?

May 15th-ish...that's when people can only hold onto one acceptance.

if i didnt get any mail what are my chances at downstate, had an interview 2/4 still have not heard

Status
Not open for further replies.