#13 Pitt for $40K vs. #31 Iowa for $13K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iowa or Pittsburgh?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decicco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to decide between #13 Pitt ($40K tuition) vs. #31 Iowa with both in-state tuition and a scholarship bringing it to about $14K in tuition per year.

Any opinions? I like the city of Pittsburgh much more than Iowa City, but besides that and the ranking, they offer somewhat similar stuff (an MD).

Please help me decide!! :love:

EDIT: I should also note that I am very lucky in that my parents will be funding my medical education so I won't be taking out loans. Even though I'm not paying for med school, I still don't want to waste my parents' money.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Easiest question I've had in months. Iowa.

Plus IC has a waaay lower COL that Pittsburgh, so we are talking about more like $130-140k difference rather than "just" $104k.

That is money in the bank and a house right out of residency. Your future spouse will thank you. :)

The cost of Iowa is between $13K and $14K for tuition with the scholarship, hence the difference between what I said in the title and in the post (FYI).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, you were just clarifying. I think that if it was a smaller difference (on the order of 20-50k over 4 years), the decision might be tougher. Iowa is an excellent school with great placement into residencies and a spectacular reputation in the area.

Having over 200k in debt hanging over your head will hurt your opportunities later in life more than you think.

Edit: Just saw that your parents will be paying for it. That is still a lot of extra $$$ to ask your parents to shell out for no good reason. Save them (and yourself) as much as you can and they may be able to have a better retirement or help you out down the road.

What the hel l? So you're basically asking us to tell you how important your parents' money is to you? How are we suppost to know?

This is like a no brainer for me. I'd pick Iowa for sure with the cheap cost even if your parents are paying for it. Unless your parents are Wall Street CEOs I'm sure they'll need that $100K in the future. I really don't think the difference in ranking between these two schools will make a big difference in opening up opportunities.

#1 The school where you were most comfortable and felt you could make the most of your talents.

I know you just got off the Pitt WL, but have you had a chance to ask about financial aid? Pitt has given out a few 20-30K scholarships to people they've pulled off the waitlist. And if it's Pitt for 20K vs Iowa for 14K, it might make your decision easier.

If my parents were paying for it, id go wherever the heck id want

I know you just got off the Pitt WL, but have you had a chance to ask about financial aid? Pitt has given out a few 20-30K scholarships to people they've pulled off the waitlist. And if it's Pitt for 20K vs Iowa for 14K, it might make your decision easier.

This is a good thought, I'll have to think about how to ask about scholarships... I'm skeptical though, I am average-ish for their school (not so for the other schools I got scholarships)

i would feel bad asking my parents to dish out an extra 100K...

Oddly, a few people with zero posts each are voting for Pittsburgh.....

haha, they might be iowa hopefuls

In every thread that's ever started regarding cheap but in some way 'not as good as more expensive school', the premeds almost invariably advise the more expensive school 'if it makes you happy', the residents always say go to the cheapest school.

Lather rinse repeat.

Of course go to the cheaper school. If they have similar matches for residency then I see why not? Besides as any doctor will tell you, where you complete your residency is the most important. That's where you get your training, etc. etc. As long as you pass your boards, you're evenly footed with the rest.

Iowa is actually a sick school.

I agree 100%, but I wish they had block scheduling, pass/fail grading, and were in a big city. That being said, there is no perfect medical school, and I'm lucky to even have this choice to make. A scholarship from Pitt would make this an easier decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.