WUSM vs. University of Michigan vs. Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know of any schools that require EVERYONE to do a Surgery and Medicine Sub-I. They may just require a Sub-I period, and the student chooses which one.

Mayo requires everyone to do a medicine sub-I. http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/curriculum/year-4

I asked about why there wasn't the option for surgery during interview day. Didn't get a good answer. Then I didn't get in.

Also, BTW the 4th year at WashU is no longer going to be all-elective. A residency bootcamp in the spring of 4th year will be mandatory for incoming students.

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo requires everyone to do a medicine sub-I. http://www.mayo.edu/mms/programs/md/curriculum/year-4

I asked about why there wasn't the option for surgery during interview day. Didn't get a good answer. Then I didn't get in.

Also, BTW the 4th year at WashU is no longer going to be all-elective. A residency bootcamp in the spring of 4th year will be mandatory for incoming students.

i think most programs have an internship/residency "bootcamp"....we had one for 2 weeks this past march at Baylor

I'm not sure if at Mayo, maybe the culture there is where IM is king of the hill and carries a lot of clout (vs. say Columbia). Would be silly to hold the asking of a question against an applicant, but definitely not surprising. A lot of hurt feelings, bruised egos, inability to take criticism abounds in medical school admissions committees - which can label the person a "bad fit". Which is why most students don't ask the real questions they want to ask.

I understand the purpose of a Sub-I, for preparation for residency, and it makes perfect sense. Hence the student should do a Sub-I in the area of the GME program that he/she is entering as a PGY-1.

As far as a so-called "residency bootcamp" run by WashU (or any school for that matter): :rolleyes::rolleyes: It will probably be more simulation crud.

Having a fully-elective 4th year shows that the school trusts it's students to take electives to prepare themselves for the match, as well as the beginning of residency (with advising as needed). That was an idea worth keeping (hence no wonder it was dropped - made too much sense).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If I were in your shoes and cost was not an issue, I would choose WashU with no hesitation.

The facts that Houston is a more desirable location for you and that your parents (not the school) are paying the bill are complicating factors, and things you need to think about. I would pay less attention to pre-clinical curriculum and grading scale and more to the curriculum during the clinical years and the opportunities for residency. Where do you want to complete your post-graduate training and/or live ultimately? If the answer is Texas, that's another reason to think hard about Baylor.

I do think WashU offers better national recognition and a name that will help you significantly with your future residency application.

I'm going to tip my hat in the direction of Baylor, since it appears to be the best overall fit as well as cheapest (by far) option for you.

Reactions: 1 user
yuiness makes a good point. some curriculums allow you to explore specialties outside of your standard core rotations. this is another area where Baylor excels. you start rotations as a second semester second year...starting six months before everyone else in the country allows you to experiment with other non-core specialties sooner. For my one semester as a second year, I was able to do a month of radiology in elective, adddition, and then as a third year was able to do electives in dermatology, anesthesiology, GI (full month), research (full month), nephrology (full month). it's definitely nice to have the flexibility in scheduling since many programs do not allow you to take such electives until late third yr or even fourth yr when it's really too late

I'm an MS2 at BCM, currently in my 4th month of rotations. Let me just say that I am sooooo happy I'm doing the clinical thing this early on, as it beats preclinical to death (which isn't to say the BCM's preclinical isn't great, b/c it is...it's just that this is what I came to med school to do!). The "extra" 6 months you get at Baylor allows you so much time to really figure out what you want to do, build up your application with research and other stuff, etc. The flexibility is amazing. And those Step scores... :)

I was also offered a spot at WUSTL, but holy $$$$$$$$$. Soooooooo expensive. I didn't like the curriculum as much anywhere else I interviewed (10 schools total). BCM has been doing the 1.5-year preclinical for decades, and they have it down to a science. It's a beautiful thing.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as a so-called "residency bootcamp" run by WashU (or any school for that matter): :rolleyes::rolleyes: It will probably be more simulation crud.
Well, you haven't gone through it so you're just guessing. I liked it a lot. Sure, it had a few simulations but it was so much more. I'm not gonna go into detail bc others might start copying it. :p

Haven't we all determined OP should go to BCM?