Would human genetics count toward my science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bme94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The class is called "human genetics" but it is offered by the anthropology department at my school (I don't know why). I got an A, so I really want it to count. Could it be considered Biology?

Members don't see this ad.

Should've probably posted this in the general Pre-Med Allopathic section (and not the school-specific section).

What is the course description? If it covers the molecular genetics aspect and goes into the biology of genetic diseases, it should. However, if it covers the social/ethic side of human genetics, then no. I have taken Human Genetics classes that have counted as EITHER science or non-science--it really depends on the content.

Should've probably posted this in the general Pre-Med Allopathic section (and not the school-specific section).

What is the course description? If it covers the molecular genetics aspect and goes into the biology of genetic diseases, it should. However, if it covers the social/ethic side of human genetics, then no. I have taken Human Genetics classes that have counted as EITHER science or non-science--it really depends on the content.
Honestly, the class covered both. We learned a lot about things that people would normally learn in like classes like molecular genetics, but we also spent time on the ethical side as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would say also that 2/3 covered molecular genetics (we learned a lot about diseases and mutations) but the last 1/3 was the ethical side. And I apologize for not posting this in the right section, I'm new here.

No worries, a mod will move it if they deem necessary.

If the course description reads like that of a science/biology class, I would go ahead and put it as BCPM. It does make it trickier given that the course is offered under Anthro. When AMCAS verifies your application, they will remove the BCPM classification if they see fit. If they do this, I believe there is an opportunity to provide evidence to justify classifying it under BCPM. I'm not fully confident--hopefully someone can correct or corroborate this.

Update: I believe they have you submit a syllabus for a class you want to justify as BCPM so that they can look into it themselves. It definitely does not hurt to go ahead and put BCPM on your initial AMCAS.