will taking general chemistry and bio at a junior college hurt my chances at medical school(MD)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rareef31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I will be a freshmen at my local junior college this fall. I only plan on attending for a year, I have 12 hours done with my AP credits, and after a year I will hopefully transfer to a good 4-year university!

My question is regarding the affect of taking two pre-req courses at a community college on my medical school application. I will take Bio 1 my first semester, and general chemistry my second semester, the thing is I have to take these to maximize my competitiveness for transfer to the desired university. How will this affect my chances? will taking majority of the pre-req classes at a 4-year school make things better?

Also, I noticed that full years of Chem and Bio are required so won't I technically only be taking half of the required classes at a community college? so I'm not actually taking all of bio and chem at a CC, I'm taking half at a CC and half at a 4-year school, right? sorry I'm new

Members don't see this ad.