Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Was a situation where I didn't want to stay where my undergrad institution is located for another 4 years and a 23k difference in COA.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed the office about my application status, and they told me mine was still under review and that they were planning on having interviews until May! I think we can still have hope, people!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on applying this coming year, is a DO LOR crucial? I have 3 MD LOR so far, they are very strong too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

should be fine! I got into multiple DO with just 1 MD letter, try and get some OMM experiences or something

Reactions: 1 user
should be fine! I got into multiple DO with just 1 MD letter, try and get some OMM experiences or something
Do you think having 3 MD is too many? 2 are my superiors at work, and one was my shadowing doc. Two are cardiologist/Internist (FACC), and one is a PCP-Internist.

Do you think having 3 MD is too many? 2 are my superiors at work, and one was my shadowing doc. Two are cardiologist/Internist (FACC), and one is a PCP-Internist.
what matters are statistics (MCAT & GPA) dw about LOR too much just meet the criteria. I believe having 3 MD will not hurt you imo

After checking my BanWeb for literally the 100th time since Jan 12.....

I checked it again to find Institution Acceptance!! Unless I get into my state MD school, I will be attending.

Where on Banweb do you see the acceptance? I also interviewed on 1/12 but don't see a decision yet :/

For those who have three letters, do all of them show up on the banweb applicant status portal?
Only two of mine are showing, but AACOMAS told me they should have access to all of them.
THX in advance!

Hello Everyone,
I interviewed at Western in early January and having been anticipating a response. I checked my banweb applicant status portal and next to decision it said accepted. I scrolled down and it gave me an option at the bottom of the page to click accept offer. My dilemma is that I have until the 4th of January to give my deposit at another medical school I got accepted in to guarantee me a seat in their class. So how certain can I be that I have been accepted from the information provided on my portal? I haven't received the official acceptance letter and I am not sure if it will get here by the 4th, which is the deadline to pay the deposit for my other acceptance. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Everyone,
I interviewed at Western in early January and having been anticipating a response. I checked my banweb applicant status portal and next to decision it said accepted. I scrolled down and it gave me an option at the bottom of the page to click accept offer. My dilemma is that I have until the 4th of January to give my deposit at another medical school I got accepted in to guarantee me a seat in their class. So how certain can I be that I have been accepted from the information provided on my portal? I haven't received the official acceptance letter and I am not sure if it will get here by the 4th, which is the deadline to pay the deposit for my other acceptance. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
For me same thing happened, the portal is correct, you did get accepted. Best thing to do and the safest thing is to call admissions and explain this to them. They should then proceed by confirming that you got accepted.

For me same thing happened, the portal is correct, you did get accepted. Best thing to do and the safest thing is to call admissions and explain this to them. They should then proceed by confirming that you got accepted.
Thanks for the response. I called admissions and explained my situation and they informed me that they could not give acceptance information over the phone. I am certain I have been accepted but am still a little uneasy given the circumstances.

Thanks for the response. I called admissions and explained my situation and they informed me that they could not give acceptance information over the phone. I am certain I have been accepted but am still a little uneasy given the circumstances.
email them, i think by email they can give you information, try that if you would like

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
When were you complete and when did you send an update? Looking for hope to getting an II soon...
Yes I sent about 2-3 updates because I had both academic and research updates. I was complete in August, put on hold late September.

Has anyone from the January 21st interviews heard back yet? It's still probably a little early but just wondering :)

Wait I just found out via email. I was rejected post interview :( good luck to everyone else!

Is there some sort of class page? I'd like to see who I'll be with for the next years :)

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think a Facebook page has been made yet for the new class. I'd like to see who I will be with as well.

Anyone hear back yet from the 1/27 (or was it 1/28?) interview day?

I believe it was 1/26. And nope, still waiting!
Derp you're totally right there. Got another II to NSU & would love not to spend the money to go down there.

Plus... what an awesome school

Has anyone been gotten an interview after being placed on hold?
I was on hold for several months four years ago. Got in the last interview group of the year after updating the school with new grades and telling them I wanted to go there, and they definitely were not just interviewing for wait list positions.

Reactions: 1 users
I was on hold for several months four years ago. Got in the last interview group of the year after updating the school with new grades and telling them I wanted to go there, and they definitely were not just interviewing for wait list positions.

When is typically the last interview group?

When do portal statuses change usually?

Is there a certain email we send application updates to? I saw 4 people's listed on the website. Thanks!

Complete 8/1/16.
On hold: 11/28/16.
II: 1/9/17.
I am declining the II though. Good luck to everyone! I hope one of you get this II :)

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a certain email we send application updates to? I saw 4 people's listed on the website. Thanks!

Give them a call and ask which admissions counselor you're working with. I believe the admissions advisor said it was the individual who emailed you your secondary, but could be wrong

Interviewed 1/26 and checked BanWeb last night. Institution Acceptance!!! So excited/relieved/happy! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
I have been accepted and sent in my deposit and have mailed my intent to accept my offer. My WesternU email indicates they have received my deposit but how do I know they have received my intent form? Any help would be appreciated.

I have been accepted and sent in my deposit and have mailed my intent to accept my offer. My WesternU email indicates they have received my deposit but how do I know they have received my intent form? Any help would be appreciated.
i scanned them a copy and sent it to the admissions email, they added it to my file like that.

Interviewed 1/26 and checked BanWeb last night. Institution Acceptance!!! So excited/relieved/happy! Good luck everyone!
Congrats on the acceptance! I interviewed 1/26. Checked Bamweb and I see nothing lol

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck guys!

Thank you, and good luck! Still waiting for the acceptance letter to arrive in the mail. Doesn't feel real yet!
My acceptance packet arrived in the mail yesterday! Deposit submitted, it's official!

Reactions: 5 users
Can you PM me your stat and EC activities? I got an II from Western in 2014, but even with a better MCAT score, I haven't received one this cycle. I wonder if Western prefer first-time applicants to others.
I don't think they prefer first time applicants here's why: I interviewed here last cycle around March 5th, and wasn't accepted. This year they offered me another interview, and I literally submitted the exact same application (with the exception of 30 hrs shadowing another DO). When I went to the interview last Thursday and started talking about the post-bacc that I am currently finishing (one that I have verified grades for on AACOMAS), they said "We didn't know you were doing a post bacc.." So, apparently they just offered me an interview again, even though they had no evidence of me improving my application. All this time I thought my post bacc is what got me another interview. Go figure.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here in the coming week unfortunately. Already paid the 2000$ but its all good! Hope it goes to one of you awesome people!

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here in the coming week unfortunately. Already paid the 2000$ but its all good! Hope it goes to one of you awesome people!

There goes our donation. I only donated the first installment of $1000. But congrats that you got more options!