2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it takes me directly to the wait list letter. there isn't a prospective student website hyperlink

:O oh wow okay! I think that means waitlist is different than alternate??
yeah i'm pretty sure waitlist and alternate are different. people have mentioned the alternate letter is different than the waitlist one posted above

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i'm pretty sure waitlist and alternate are different. people have mentioned the alternate letter is different than the waitlist one posted above
Yeah it’s just weird because western didn’t mention waitlist on my interview day they only said alternate. And alternate position is all I can find online.

Yeah it’s just weird because western didn’t mention waitlist on my interview day they only said alternate. And alternate position is all I can find online.
I think it may just be a silly grammar error that is causing this confusing. A lot of the letters people receive contain basic grammatical errors. Probably the same reason why both WL and Alternates click a "accept alternate status" button. I think if you go back far enough in this thread, we sorted out all these confusing issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted off the deferred admissions list! I'm so excited fjkdlsajfd

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
I think it may just be a silly grammar error that is causing this confusing. A lot of the letters people receive contain basic grammatical errors. Probably the same reason why both WL and Alternates click a "accept alternate status" button. I think if you go back far enough in this thread, we sorted out all these confusing issues.
yeah you're right. I just skimmed back and read the thread, it seems to be what you said. Thank you! I am just becoming neurotic lol

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone do some research as to how many people got off the actual waitlist last year? Hope that some of us WL or alternate people get an opportunity. Fingers crossed for everyone

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats? I wonder if they pick the better stats first
CA Resident
GPA - 3.90, MCAT - 508, Lizzy M - 69
MD: | 1°: 16 | 2°: 14 | II: 1 | IA: 1 | R: 7 | A: 0 | WL: 1
DO: | 1°: 11 | 2°: 11 | II: 4 | IA: 4 | R: 0 | A: 2 | WL: 3

it takes me directly to the wait list letter. there isn't a prospective student website hyperlink. If i click the top logo, it just takes me back to western's homepage
this is mine too! so is the differentiation WL - just letter and alternate also has prospective student hyperlink? or the other way around? sorry if this is already determined and im being neurotic lol

Just got accepted off the deferred admissions list! I'm so excited fjkdlsajfd
Congrats on getting in for this cycle!!! Also great to know they started pulling people off the deferred list a whole 2 months earlier than last year's cycle.

BUMP on previous post!

"Hey all, with the ongoing deferred A/alternate/waitlist postings on the WesternU-Pomona thread, I thought it'd be interesting to see where accepted SDN applicants stand, and how likely there might be a movement in the deferred/alt/waitlist.

If you have a min, please fill out the poll below:
Poll for Accepted or DeferredA/Alt/WL applicants

If this seems inappropriate lmk and I'll remove the post. Thanks all"
Bump! lolol

Anyone do some research as to how many people got off the actual waitlist last year? Hope that some of us WL or alternate people get an opportunity. Fingers crossed for everyone
So not to be a downer but looking at last years thread, it seems like a good sum of people got off the deferred acceptance list but I don’t think I saw even a single person get off the waitlist/alternate. Or at least I looked through that last few pages of last years forum and it seems like a majority of deferred acceptance began around June onwards. 0 reported getting off the waitlist/alternate that I saw. Correct me if I am wrong .

This year might be different though (last year they have given out too many deferred status was what the students were guessing. I’m not sure)

Members don't see this ad :)
So not to be a downer but looking at last years thread, it seems like a good sum of people got off the deferred acceptance list but I don’t think I saw even a single person get off the waitlist/alternate. Or at least I looked through that last few pages of last years forum and it seems like a majority of deferred acceptance began around June onwards. 0 reported getting off the waitlist/alternate that I saw. Correct me if I am wrong .

This year might be different though (last year they have given out too many deferred status was what the students were guessing. I’m not sure)
I'm pretty sure I remember one person reporting in last years thread that they got off the normal WL

I'm pretty sure I remember one person reporting in last years thread that they got off the normal WL
I saw that too. Crossing my fingers everything changes up a ton in April because of an abundance of multiple accepted offers to MD programs, due to no cost interviews, that lots of us in the waiting game groups get a spot. 🤞🏻

Not putting all my eggs in one basket and retaking the MCAT the end of next month for next cycle. But I’d LOVE to have to cancel the test! 🤗

Anyone have an idea how big the deferred admission group is?
Seems like most of the deferrals were from people interviewing in December and/or the first half of January. I don't think anyone who interviewed before December or between Feb - March reported a deferred admission

I saw that too. Crossing my fingers everything changes up a ton in April because of an abundance of multiple accepted offers to MD programs, due to no cost interviews, that lots of us in the waiting game groups get a spot. 🤞🏻

Not putting all my eggs in one basket and retaking the MCAT the end of next month for next cycle. But I’d LOVE to have to cancel the test! 🤗
Im BELIEVING we are all getting in. And you will cancel that test! ✨

• Love
anyone know if the interview season is over here? i assume it is, but no formal communication of a rejection from them either.

anyone know if the interview season is over here? i assume it is, but no formal communication of a rejection from them either.
I was told there were limited spots left like a month ago. It's best to email the advisor you were assigned to for more information.

CA Resident
GPA - 3.90, MCAT - 508, Lizzy M - 69
MD: | 1°: 16 | 2°: 14 | II: 1 | IA: 1 | R: 7 | A: 0 | WL: 1
DO: | 1°: 11 | 2°: 11 | II: 4 | IA: 4 | R: 0 | A: 2 | WL: 3

Out of curiosity, are you set on westernu or the md school?

Out of curiosity, are you set on westernu or the md school?
I'm set on WesternU, because I have family in CA and I think I would have a better chance of matching in CA than if I go out of state for the MD school (if I get off the WL)

Reactions: 4 users
I reached out close to two weeks ago, and received a response stating that their last scheduled interview was the next week (which has passed now). The reply also said "there's a possibility to add an additional date, but that hasn't been confirmed". Seems like at this point if they have seats to fill they'd look at their WL

I reached out close to two weeks ago, and received a response stating that their last scheduled interview was the next week (which has passed now). The reply also said "there's a possibility to add an additional date, but that hasn't been confirmed". Seems like at this point if they have seats to fill they'd look at their WL
yeah I reached out to an advisor and they mentioned that interview season was over. kinda wish they sent a formal rejection email.

Reactions: 2 users
do you upload post-II letter of interests on to the portal? my advisor isn't replying to emails 😭

Silence so far, Interviewed on 2/25

Edit 4/6 - Waitlisted, accepted alternate status

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance, hoping it will go to one of you :)

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Looks like COMP has begun moving through their deferred acceptance list.
As a candidate on the alternative list, should I still hope for an A or move on?

As a candidate on the alternative list, should I still hope for an A or move on?
I’m an alternate too and I’m not losing hope I till it’s over!

I would send an update and keep in touch w WesternU throughout the coming months. A lot of the movement will come over the next 2 months. Not sure if they will reach all the way down to the alternate list this cycle, but their page for alternates suggests that their 5-year average is 60 alternates are admitted per year.

Last edited:
I would send an update and keep in touch w WesternU throughout the coming months. A lot of the movement will come over the next 2 months. Not sure if they will reach all the way down to the alternate list this cycle, but their page for alternates suggests that their 5-year average is 60 alternates are admitted per year.
I feel like they’re pulling off the deferred list earlier than expected

For those who already submitted a letter of intent, did you address it to the admissions committee in general? Or the Director of Admissions, Susan Hanson?

Where did you find this page for alternates admitted number? Can you link or show me where to look for it? Thanks!

For those who already submitted a letter of intent, did you address it to the admissions committee in general? Or the Director of Admissions, Susan Hanson?
I highly recommend looking up multiple sites on how to write a good letter of intent. From what I've seen, they say to address a specific person like the director of admissions.

Alternate status. Which I clicked accept for. Interviewed March 9th.

just got accepted after being deferred 🤩

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 14 users