2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted off the deferred admissions list! I'm so excited fjkdlsajfd
Congrats! Could I ask when you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! 513, 3.75 GPA, 3.8 sGPA :)
You are well qualified. You must apply late and has to be offered defer status when the class is already full.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP on previous post!

"Hey all, with the ongoing deferred A/alternate/waitlist postings on the WesternU-Pomona thread, I thought it'd be interesting to see where accepted SDN applicants stand, and how likely there might be a movement in the deferred/alt/waitlist.

If you have a min, please fill out the poll below:
Poll for Accepted or DeferredA/Alt/WL applicants

If this seems inappropriate lmk and I'll remove the post. Thanks all"

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the deferred admissions/waitlist applicants are ranked ?
Why do you care with 10 accepted admissions? My guess is there is a list as they only give you a few day to send deposit for confirmation.

Why do you care with 10 accepted admissions? My guess is there is a list as they only give you a few day to send deposit for confirmation.
Thanks for replying! Yeah I have ten acceptances( which I am grateful for and love provide advice for students on my interviews or other application prep.) but definitely don't need to be shamed on for my hard work. Plus I have more rejections than acceptances. This school is my top school just like many of us on here

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Thanks for replying! Yeah I have ten acceptances( which I am grateful for) but definitely don't need to be shamed on for my hard work. Plus I have more rejections than acceptances This school is my top school just like many of us on here
Congrats on the acceptances! I’m with you, this school is my first choice too. I’d be holding out also! Western doesn’t seem to publish whether they rank their applicants. You sound like a strong candidate though and there tends to be significant waitlist movement so hang in there!

• Care
Thank you! That is really helpful.
Yeah no problem :) But it gets confusing because on my interview day they said alternate candidates are ranked in May and June. Do you remember that from the power point on interview day? If you have the email for interview day you can watch the Admissions Interview Day Presentation. :) They don't touch on deferred admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah no problem :) But it gets confusing because on my interview day they said alternate candidates are ranked in May and June. Do you remember that from the power point on interview day? If you have the email for interview day you can watch the Admissions Interview Day Presentation. :) They don't touch on deferred admission.
Yeah I honestly didnt even know it was an option but it makes sense since the applicant pool gets stronger every year

Yeah I honestly didnt even know it was an option but it makes sense since the applicant pool gets stronger every year
You must want to stay local close to home. I know one guy whose just complete residence last year. WesternU call him while he was loading and ready to drive out of California for another DO school. They gave him 3 days for decision. He unloaded and made the deposit. I did not make this up. I think the list is ranked otherwise the admission commission will have to keep doing evaluation conferences.

You must want to stay local close to home. I know one guy whose just complete residence last year. WesternU call him while he was loading and ready to drive out of California for another DO school. They gave him 3 days for decision. He unloaded and made the deposit. I did not make this up. I think the list is ranked otherwise the admission commission will have to keep doing evaluation conferences.
It mostly because they have a really great program that fits for me. Here's hoping we all get into the school we want :)

Any other waitlisted student receive an email about in-person classes this fall for COMP? My heart almost skipped a beat at first

Reactions: 6 users
So I got an email from admissions here just now notifying me to "check your email as a final decision has been made on your WL status".... So I proceed to check email and literally nothing has changed LOL >< ngl but this admissions team seems a bit disorganized with all of the discrepancies surrounding their WL/alternate/Deferred Admissions messages this cycle
I just got an email saying that an application update has been posted on my status page and I log in and see no update lol.

So I got an email from admissions here just now notifying me to "check your email as a final decision has been made on your WL status".... So I proceed to check email and literally nothing has changed LOL >< ngl but this admissions team seems a bit disorganized with all of the discrepancies surrounding their WL/alternate/Deferred Admissions messages this cycle
You were previously on the WL and they updated it again?

Ikr, I don’t understand why they need 3 separate lists of extra potential students.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello friends, long-time lurker here. I was accepted today. This is something that I have been desperately wanting for quite sometime now. Remember not to lose hope and always advocate for yourselves, get your names out there!

• Love
Hello friends, long-time lurker here. I was accepted today. This is something that I have been desperately wanting for quite sometime now. Remember not to lose hope and always advocate for yourselves, get your names out there!
Congratulations!!!!🎈🎉 so happy for you. Were you on the differed list? And do you have any suggestions on how to get our names out there?

How can you lurk on this page and NOT tell us what list you were on, or if was directly post II???? 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

Congrats tho haha!

How can you lurk on this page and NOT tell us what list you were on, or if was directly post II???? 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

Congrats tho haha!
LOL was thinking the same thing HAHAHA

Congrats on the A! Also, when you say don't forget to advocate for yourselves, what do you recommend doing beyond just sending a Letter of Intent (including updated experiences)? Did you call their office / send multiple emails? Did you do anything significant post-interview that you think may have changed their minds about your application? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the A! Also, when you say advocate for yourselves, what do you recommend doing beyond just sending a Letter of Intent (including updated experiences)? Did you call their office / send multiple emails? Did you do anything significant post-interview that you think may have changed their minds about your application? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
I guess it doesn’t matter what list you are on anymore since I don’t think all deferred ppl have gotten in for this yr yet, but now there’s waitlist movement?? This just gets more and more interesting lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I guess it doesn’t matter what list you are on anymore since I don’t think all deferred ppl have gotten in for this yr yet, but now there’s waitlist movement?? This just gets more and more interesting lo

I guess it doesn’t matter what list you are on anymore since I don’t think all deferred ppl have gotten in for this yr yet, but now there’s waitlist movement?? This just gets more and more interesting lol.
I would assume the deferred admission status is still the priority list despite the above post from the previously waitlisted applicant. At the very least, a deferral at least has a guaranteed admission for next year which I know is not ideal but it is something that was not offered to alternates or those placed on the WL. Without knowing more specifics about the above student's application, I wouldn't jump to any new conclusions; after all several people on this thread even mentioned calling the admissions team earlier in the cycle and asked about the 3 statuses and everyone seemed to receive consistent responses- that is, deferred > WL > Alt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Do more students get off the WL between May 15-June 1?
From the AACOMAS website:

"After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited, and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn."

Given the above, it is reasonable to predict an increase in movement after May 15th, but that the INITIAL movement would most likely apply to the deferred applicants, followed by waitlisted, then alternates. So whether or not more students with the WL status get admitted during this 2 week period you've specified is hard to know with any level of certainty. I will say that my friend whose an Adcom member at another reputable DO school just told me their school has basically experienced zero waitlist movement to date, but that in years prior to Covid, their school has experienced a lot of movement by mid-April. So honestly, it's anyone's guess to how this will all play out in the end. To complicate matters further, the ALT list is also ranked beginning May, so we'll see what happens and if that list is even used at all this cycle. I don't recall ever reading on previous threads from Western where they used 3 different lists -- my thought is that b/c there was a surge in the number of applications received this year, the admissions office felt the need to create additional lists to account for the fact that they basically filled their class by late Nov/early Dec.

My best suggestion is to continue working on strengthening your application in case you need to reapply and try and remain as patient as possible. Hang in there, we are all in this together~

Huh this getting really weird. Wasn’t differed getting priority? Doesn’t make sense how they would skip people who they want to attend next year for sure for people who they weren’t sure they wanted to accept at all.

Huh this getting really weird. Wasn’t differed getting priority? Doesn’t make sense how they would skip people who they want to attend next year for sure for people who they weren’t sure they wanted to accept at all.
Bold of you to assume any of this needs to make sense

• Haha
Did you ever figure out what the update is?
It ended up being a pre-interview rejection. However, I am realizing now that all of you were post interview lol so my pre-interview rejection is not entirely relevant to y’all’s situation.

Did your friend still pay tuition at the other DO school? I'm currently waiting on my top choice at a school in CA as well but I'm committed to another that's outside of CA so I don't know how tuition works (do I end up paying fall tuition at both places) if this happened?

Did your friend still pay tuition at the other DO school? I'm currently waiting on my top choice at a school in CA as well but I'm committed to another that's outside of CA so I don't know how tuition works (do I end up paying fall tuition at both places) if this happened?
Yes. He was preparing to move there.

• Wow
Are you guys/gals just uploading your update/LOI straight to the portal or are you emailing Chris Vu or someone else?

Are you guys/gals just uploading your update/LOI straight to the portal or are you emailing Chris Vu or someone else?
i emailed it to my admissions counselor back in January who uploaded it to my application file the following day.

i was told by my counselor to upload it and then let them know that you did

i was told by my counselor to upload it and then let them know that you did
Who did you contact to let them know that you uploaded something? I’ve been calling western for a few weeks and it goes straight to voicemail

Just got accepted off the deferred list. This was my only acceptance so I’m over the moon.

gpa: 3.73 Mcat: 517

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 18 users
Just got accepted off the deferred list. This was my only acceptance so I’m over the moon.

gpa: 3.73 Mcat: 517
Congrats!! With those stats it's crazy you weren't admitted anywhere else. Just goes to show how competitive this whole process is

Congrats!! With those stats it's crazy you weren't admitted anywhere else. Just goes to show how competitive this whole process is
Thank you! I had next to no service hours which was definitely a big problem in my app so I think my stats covered me but just barely. I’m probably lucky I even got an A tbh.

withdrew my acceptance here, was a very hard choice 🥲 but im rooting for you all in WL/AL/Deferred lists 🤩 YOU GOT THIS❤️

• Love
  • Care