Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was reading the course descriptions for second year and most of them mention small group discussions. Are there a lot of group discussions invovled in westernU curriculum? How are these discussion like, how long do they last? i prefer a curriculum more traditional where you learn through lectures. My second question, is how many hours a week is IPE during first year, and second year it is online? Thank you for any information

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading the course descriptions for second year and most of them mention small group discussions. Are there a lot of group discussions invovled in westernU curriculum? How are these discussion like, how long do they last? i prefer a curriculum more traditional where you learn through lectures. My second question, is how many hours a week is IPE during first year, and second year it is online? Thank you for any information
From what I recall, they do have a lot of small group discussions as well as traditional lectures. They also do some self-guided learning before lectures sometimes so you can come in already with whatever questions you have. I really like traditional lectures as well, but the way they explained this system seemed really great as well.

Reactions: 1 user
There's generally less than 1 of the "non-traditional" lectures per week between IPE, small group, etc. Large group is optional.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's generally less than 1 of the "non-traditional" lectures per week between IPE, small group, etc. Large group is optional.
so it is largely a traditional curriculum of attending lectures, labs, tutorials....so the group interactions (IPE, small group etc.) is a small component of the curriculum...in total 1/week? LOL I pretty much paraphrased you but just making sure I understood it correctly, thank you.

Semi-realistic example: Week 9 - normal stuff except 2 hr IPE where you sit, say a few sentences, and watch videos about feels. Week 10 - normal stuff except "flipped classroom" which is a lecture session where you answer non-graded clicker questions for half of the hour because you were told to read ahead. Week 11 - IPE. Week 12 - normal stuff except 2.5 hr sitting in study room with 9 other classmates to work on some medium/high yield topic in small group, then large group after lunch, which is lecture as normal on that topic (to make sure students aren't going to suck at the subject due to half-as.sing).

Every once in a while, you get a whole week of regular stuff. I think I've had 3-4 "easy" weeks where a 3 hour exam was the only thing on the agenda for one day, and the rest of the week was ~4 hours of non-mandatory attendance lectures. There's generally at least 2 days a week that you can just stay home (if you don't have club meetings or w/e).

Reactions: 1 users
so it is largely a traditional curriculum of attending lectures, labs, tutorials....so the group interactions (IPE, small group etc.) is a small component of the curriculum...in total 1/week? LOL I pretty much paraphrased you but just making sure I understood it correctly, thank you.

I am currently a second years at COMP and from what I am reading (I could be wrong) but it seems darknecrosforte is a 1st year and so what they are saying is currently right for MCBM, but not so when systems start. Starting second semester 1st year and all of 2nd year there are small groups at least once a week that do require a lot of self learning. The professors don't want these sessions to just be regurgitating information and so we often get cases that involve things we have yet to learn (and even sometimes never learn outside of small group discussions). Professors try and walk around but there are usually 30 groups and only 1-3 of them so if they do come by it's for a very short time. Also IPE 2nd year is online but it requires an assignment to be turned in every week, so it's actually a bigger time commitment in the 2nd year. The school also prides themselves on trying to do flipped classroom and about half of our lectures are streamed from professors who are in Lebanon so it doesn't feel traditional at all. If you like learning in a straight traditional classroom, I don't think COMP is the place.

II today! Feels like my life is about to change for the best! What an amazing school!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
is there a list of hospitals WesternU third and fourth year students do their rotations at? Thank you

How long does it take to receive a secondary email after submitting the primary? Are secondaries screened only on GPA/MCAT or do they look at ECs too? Thanks!

How long does it take to receive a secondary email after submitting the primary? Are secondaries screened only on GPA/MCAT or do they look at ECs too? Thanks!

It took four days to get mine. I'm guessing they look at everything you have in your AACOMAS app. I don't remember seeing minimum stats on their website (but I could be wrong).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I know these are difficult answers to obtain, but does anyone know around how many offers are given out if the class size is 220? (300?) Also, is there typically a lot of waitlist movement at this school? Thanks!

I just paid the first installment of the deposit! So excited!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I know these are difficult answers to obtain, but does anyone know around how many offers are given out if the class size is 220? (300?) Also, is there typically a lot of waitlist movement at this school? Thanks!

Interviewed around a week ago. This is from memory so not exactly the same numbers, but I believed they extended invites to around 370 . I believe they also said they took about 15 people off the wait list last year.

Just got placed on hold. :( This one hurts especially after improving my app so much. After getting rejected last year I sought advice from admissions and was told that being on hold isn't very promising as so many applicants get placed in this category. So bummed.

Who did you contact on admissions to get advice/feedback from previous year?

Who did you contact on admissions to get advice/feedback from previous year?
I don't feel comfortable sharing that, but I can assure you he/she is on the admissions committee and is well aware of how it's carried out at WesternU. I met him/her through one of the extracurriculars I was a part of in the past.

I'm really hoping this year will be different for those of us on hold, though.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if there is any way to view our secondary application after it is submitted? I have an interview here in January and wanted to go over my secondary application but it looks like it is inaccessible after submitting, unless I am not seeing something?

The syllabi cover the Step 1 outline pretty well. We do NBME exams after each course. We make at least two passes on all material via a mix of systems -> pathology and then "flipped" classroom on high-yield topics. 4000 Kaplan Q Bank USMLE-style questions and extra for COMLEX are available within the first months of 1st year for us to use. We have big cumulative finals each semester on everything taught by that point with a study outline that references testable topic and where they are found in FA2016. If that wasn't enough, there are opportunities for getting subsidized test prep if you exhaust the Kaplan Q Banks. OMM time is not noticeable enough to be relevant. I suck at it and cram it several days prior to the infrequent practical exams (2 total) and get around 85/100 (below class average woot), even when completely forgetting crap on the structural exam. Those ~10 hours total of outside of class time spent due to extra OMM focus compared to other DO schools over a semester are no biggie.

8 weeks of dedicated board prep plus all this is definitely enough for the average student. One thing I noticed from some upperclassmen was a hint of "why do you have First Aid right now?" But when talking to those same people 15 weeks later, they tell me they wish they looked at it sooner so they could get a feel for what to pay attention to in class -_- Sometimes it's good to have a natural inclination to tell busybody pessimists to fark off, amirite?
Dude thanks so much for the posts about curriculum. You are the sole poster on SDN to describe the curriculum with so much detail!

Does anyone know if they give preference to california residents? It was a bit strange how only 9% of the 2020 class is from out of state, however there were tons of people from out of state at my interview date (12/8). Also, is there much wait list movement at this school?

Hey guys,
I was wondering if there is any way to view our secondary application after it is submitted? I have an interview here in January and wanted to go over my secondary application but it looks like it is inaccessible after submitting, unless I am not seeing something?

It said in the instructions that the secondary wouldn't be accessible once you submit and to save your essays...

Does anyone know if they give preference to california residents? It was a bit strange how only 9% of the 2020 class is from out of state, however there were tons of people from out of state at my interview date (12/8). Also, is there much wait list movement at this school?
I do not think they discriminate against out-of-state students, the school usually has many Cali students since most people do not want to leave Cali (i think). I am a Canadian applicant and received an acceptance to this school

has anyone that's been put on hold recieve a II yet?

Does anyone know if Western-Pomona prioritizes applicants that identify as an underrepresented minority? I am applying next app cycle with a 505 MCAT, ScienceGPA: 3.54, and cumulative of 3.61.

Does anyone know if Western-Pomona prioritizes applicants that identify as an underrepresented minority? I am applying next app cycle with a 505 MCAT, ScienceGPA: 3.54, and cumulative of 3.61.

You have a very very high chance of acceptance at WesternU, or at any DO in the country. I would also apply broadly to MD schools and wouldnt be surpsied if you net multiple acceptances on the allopathic end as well.

Good luck!

I am currently a second years at COMP and from what I am reading (I could be wrong) but it seems darknecrosforte is a 1st year and so what they are saying is currently right for MCBM, but not so when systems start. Starting second semester 1st year and all of 2nd year there are small groups at least once a week that do require a lot of self learning. The professors don't want these sessions to just be regurgitating information and so we often get cases that involve things we have yet to learn (and even sometimes never learn outside of small group discussions). Professors try and walk around but there are usually 30 groups and only 1-3 of them so if they do come by it's for a very short time. Also IPE 2nd year is online but it requires an assignment to be turned in every week, so it's actually a bigger time commitment in the 2nd year. The school also prides themselves on trying to do flipped classroom and about half of our lectures are streamed from professors who are in Lebanon so it doesn't feel traditional at all. If you like learning in a straight traditional classroom, I don't think COMP is the place.

Also a 2nd year here and I agree with this. Admins themselves have stated that since the implementation of the large group/small group system, there has NOT been an increase in the average step score. I'll let that speak for itself. Personally, small group is a waste of time because it is not my learning style. It drains time that I would have to learn the material in a way that I learn. For some people it works and works well. However, it is not for everyone and I do not understand why they have forced this system upon us when the data has shown no improvement on board exams.

IPE is garbage but I thought it took up much less time 2nd year. No need to put effort in those shi* assignments.

anyone make a facebook group for the new accepted class?

Accepted!!! Interviewed 12/08. Didn't receive an email, just checked the portal.

~3.6, 36 Old Mcat

Strong points probably stats lol. Had lots of clinical volunteering and have been working full time in a medical clinic this past gap year. Pedestrian research, but I did a lot of ECs involving underserved communities. IS

Probably not the best person to compare to get an idea of what they like haha. I saw your stats and you still have a good shot, just remember they are service-oriented,

does anyone know what the average MCAT score for last year's accepted class? Their website only shows the "applicants" average MCAT

anyone make a facebook group for the new accepted class?
I have the same question as well. I only saw class of 2020 on FB. Does the school make one? or can students make it?

The syllabi cover the Step 1 outline pretty well. We do NBME exams after each course. We make at least two passes on all material via a mix of systems -> pathology and then "flipped" classroom on high-yield topics. 4000 Kaplan Q Bank USMLE-style questions and extra for COMLEX are available within the first months of 1st year for us to use. We have big cumulative finals each semester on everything taught by that point with a study outline that references testable topic and where they are found in FA2016. If that wasn't enough, there are opportunities for getting subsidized test prep if you exhaust the Kaplan Q Banks. OMM time is not noticeable enough to be relevant. I suck at it and cram it several days prior to the infrequent practical exams (2 total) and get around 85/100 (below class average woot), even when completely forgetting crap on the structural exam. Those ~10 hours total of outside of class time spent due to extra OMM focus compared to other DO schools over a semester are no biggie.

8 weeks of dedicated board prep plus all this is definitely enough for the average student. One thing I noticed from some upperclassmen was a hint of "why do you have First Aid right now?" But when talking to those same people 15 weeks later, they tell me they wish they looked at it sooner so they could get a feel for what to pay attention to in class -_- Sometimes it's good to have a natural inclination to tell busybody pessimists to fark off, amirite?
I absolutely disagree with your assessment of the school.

The school does a horrible job at preparing us for the boards. Sometimes they don't cover material necessary for the boards at all, cover it too little or go overboard on things that don't matter. Then there are tons of hours wasted on these terrible small groups. The cumulative tests at the end are worthless as all that happens is that people wing them.

Kaplan Q-Bank is absolute garbage. The school should be providing USMLE-Rx or UWorld if they care about boards at all.

OMM is done overboard at the school and is not reflective of how the boards test you on it, so it's another giant waste of time. We are the only school that has a "cranial week" and have forced OMM rotations. Many schools are doing only 1.5 hours of OMM weekly while we do 4.

We do not get 8 weeks off to prepare for the boards. We barely get about 5.5-6 weeks assuming you don't fail any patient encounters you have to repeat (50%+ of the class fails at least one). Almost everyone I knew that didn't think WesternU had poor curriculum certainly came around once they realized the ****storm incoming from boards. After all, at least 60 students had to delay taking the boards because they were so poorly unprepared by our faculty, and out of our entire class only 70% took USMLE. Those that did well was because they started studying for boards during cardio and sacrificed honoring classes. For step 2, at least 10% of the class failed the boards.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. Your first semester indoctrination will fade.

Semi-realistic example: Week 9 - normal stuff except 2 hr IPE where you sit, say a few sentences, and watch videos about feels. Week 10 - normal stuff except "flipped classroom" which is a lecture session where you answer non-graded clicker questions for half of the hour because you were told to read ahead. Week 11 - IPE. Week 12 - normal stuff except 2.5 hr sitting in study room with 9 other classmates to work on some medium/high yield topic in small group, then large group after lunch, which is lecture as normal on that topic (to make sure students aren't going to suck at the subject due to half-as.sing).

Every once in a while, you get a whole week of regular stuff. I think I've had 3-4 "easy" weeks where a 3 hour exam was the only thing on the agenda for one day, and the rest of the week was ~4 hours of non-mandatory attendance lectures. There's generally at least 2 days a week that you can just stay home (if you don't have club meetings or w/e).
This is because you have never been to a real small group session. Wait until you three 4-hour small group sessions in a week.

Wait until IPE gets scheduled during the week before an IDIT or Neuro test then tell me how these 2 hours is okay to waste.

Last edited:
I absolutely disagree with your assessment of the school.
This is good. More information for prospective students. I mostly bolded things that I either recently learned or didn't know due to not being far along enough to experience it.

The school does a horrible job at preparing us for the boards. Sometimes they don't cover material necessary for the boards at all, cover it too little or go overboard on things that don't matter. Then there are tons of hours wasted on these terrible small groups. The cumulative tests at the end are worthless as all that happens is that people wing them.
I've seen what DO 2019 has tried to do with an Anki "group" and my class has a more "robust" group with more competent card writers. We even modified bro's deck to match the "study guide" they gave us and after having done that deck for the week prior to the cum. exam, I feel like I smashed that exam (but they don't post the results for whatever reason so I have only feels instead of data). For the "practice" exam, using the same kind of long-term SRS prep, the Anki peeps were scoring 65-75% when the average was 48%. We have surveys that agree with the winging thing though. It's my understanding that NBME questions are written very well or close enough to USMLE-style so it sucks that people don't try to use the experience to their benefit.

Kaplan Q-Bank is absolute garbage. The school should be providing USMLE-Rx or UWorld if they care about boards at all.
Agreed. UWorld would be awesome, but I've heard that should be "saved" until near test time, so maybe USMLE-Rx replacing Kaplan would be better. I believe one of the faculty has a conflict of interest via Kaplan though... so dunno if that can happen.

OMM is done overboard at the school and is not reflective of how the boards test you on it, so it's another giant waste of time. We are the only school that has a "cranial week" and have forced OMM rotations. Many schools are doing only 1.5 hours of OMM weekly while we do 4.
The time difference seems to be in the OMM lecturing (I might be doing Anki cards on my laptop instead of listening though). I really wish lab was just showing up and practicing. We could watch lectures on our own. As for cranial WEEK(?). I haven't tasted that grog, but I hope it isn't an actual 5 days. As for non-boards prep, that's good to know in advance.

We do not get 8 weeks off to prepare for the boards. We barely get about 5.5-6 weeks assuming you don't fail any patient encounters you have to repeat (50%+ of the class fails at least one). Almost everyone I knew that didn't think WesternU had poor curriculum certainly came around once they realized the ****storm incoming from boards. After all, at least 60 students had to delay taking the boards because they were so poorly unprepared by our faculty, and out of our entire class only 70% took USMLE. Those that did well was because they started studying for boards during cardio and sacrificed honoring classes. For step 2, at least 10% of the class failed the boards.
Again, at least in our Anki group, most of us are going through the parts of bros deck that have been covered so far (which currently means General Principles:: MCBM and IDIT stuff with the random anatomy minutiae thrown in). Between adding minutiae seen in lectures and "good" texts, explanatory GIFs, and comparing to FA 2017, it doesn't seem too bad. I'm sure that most students are not independent learners though - AND the things you mention certainly don't help them to become independent, but I can see enough anti-"tryhard" culture here and there, struggling people, and super-star crammers to know that if your class is anything like mine, some of the shet-stormery is self-inflicted.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that. Your first semester indoctrination will fade.
Eh... I just really abhor feeling helplessness. Shouldn't people indoctrinate themselves to have the discipline to start board prep really, really early if they're entering a poorly prepping med school? Learning Medicine: An Evidence-Based Guide (-Peter Wei) was a good book to read before this all started so while I'm not getting 95s in classes and cracking necks like Steven Seagal, I go over flashcards in small group and generally don't see the WesternU "obstacles" as being large enough to get emotional over.

This is because you have never been to a real small group session. Wait until you three 4-hour small group sessions in a week.
Eh... The Cystic Fibrosis and the DMII small groups were done in 1/3rd of the allotted time and considering the time block and relatively low info density/repetition in the optional large group lecture, this seems exaggerated. Maybe for students who aren't setting their own agenda and using the idle time wisely, this would be bad, but these sessions seem to be arbitrary, pace slowers - at most.

Wait until IPE gets scheduled during the week before an IDIT or Neuro test then tell me how these 2 hours is okay to waste.
Checked the Sharepoint. Doesn't happen for IDIT or Neuro and a 1.5 hour session happens before the Blood and Lymph final. Could be luck or them learning from how they tortured your class.

Your response has a lot of good perspective and info though. I think that most students would agree with you. But oddballs like me have no idea what you're talking about sometimes. And having legit "institutions screwing around with your time" life experience desensitizes me to the small-scale stuff I see at this school. I encourage people to look up post histories of people who say "weird" things so they can see if what they read applies to them personally.

Got the hold e-mail today :-/
+1
Anyone know if they actually deny people straight up? Or if there's any movement off this list?

Update: looked through last years thread and it appears there is some movement off this hold list

Last edited:
has anyone gotten an II since being placed on "application on hold"?

Also, does anyone know when their last interview are?

Will be withdrawing my II after getting another II for an allopathic program which is the same date. Hope someone else gets it.

Reactions: 4 users
@darknecrosforte or any current WesternU students:

Does WesternU have an Intranet site that they give students to access? If so, do they also post information related to board prep and residency matching?

upload_2017-1-11_6-2-42.png
@darknecrosforte or any current WesternU students:

Does WesternU have an Intranet site that they give students to access? If so, do they also post information related to board prep and residency matching?

SharePoint has been pretty good at keeping the ~230 of us on task. Sometimes 1-3 people will show up to something in the wrong attire due to not reading something completely though. The SharePoint also links to the ECHO lecture recordings and PowerPoints (an other files). So... in terms of boards and residency, it's not like a separate site, but you'll have plenty of stuff to try to ignore, depending on how well you can keep up with the work load. Something I've been doing is trying to convert the class to the Anki religion. It's been a struggle, but in terms of efficiency, we've been able to split the workload of classes enough to actually get a lot of us to start Brosencephalon before the end of 1st year. I think I've done 4k of the ~16K bros cards already and have not had to give up League of Legends thus far, so something must be working.

The board prep is just the Kaptest website (free, but apparently not that great), and the two products they force you to buy (you probably would have bought First Aid and Pathoma anyways). There is a "Progress IQ" site that shows your global report card for all semesters. The slot for 4th year shows "Average grade" of each subject for people going into that specialty (I think >.> might be interpreting that wrong).

Side note (sorta): We're currently in a "good time" of the year due to the non-mandatory lectures (which I've highlighted). I think the worst it ever got so far was 2X the mandatory stuff. If you've never had a SharePoint, each of the blue boxes will hyperlink to files specific to that event, which is useful.

upload_2017-1-11_6-2-42.png

View attachment 213314

SharePoint has been pretty good at keeping the ~230 of us on task. Sometimes 1-3 people will show up to something in the wrong attire due to not reading something completely though. The SharePoint also links to the ECHO lecture recordings and PowerPoints (an other files). So... in terms of boards and residency, it's not like a separate site, but you'll have plenty of stuff to try to ignore, depending on how well you can keep up with the work load. Something I've been doing is trying to convert the class to the Anki religion. It's been a struggle, but in terms of efficiency, we've been able to split the workload of classes enough to actually get a lot of us to start Brosencephalon before the end of 1st year. I think I've done 4k of the ~16K bros cards already and have not had to give up League of Legends thus far, so something must be working.

The board prep is just the Kaptest website (free, but apparently not that great), and the two products they force you to buy (you probably would have bought First Aid and Pathoma anyways). There is a "Progress IQ" site that shows your global report card for all semesters. The slot for 4th year shows "Average grade" of each subject for people going into that specialty (I think >.> might be interpreting that wrong).

Side note (sorta): We're currently in a "good time" of the year due to the non-mandatory lectures (which I've highlighted). I think the worst it ever got so far was 2X the mandatory stuff. If you've never had a SharePoint, each of the blue boxes will hyperlink to files specific to that event, which is useful.

View attachment 213314

Thank you so much! You're a huge resource for COMP!

I got an II last time I applied in January (so late), but I still haven't gotten it this time. My application was complete in November. Does Western prefer first-time applicants?

Edit: I actually got the complete email on 12/5.

Last edited: