Wake Forest or Georgetown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmed2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the wait list for Georgetown and I am having trouble deciding between Georgetown and Wake Forest. Can anybody give me any advice for either school?

Members don't see this ad.

Wake Forest, hands down! Why would you want to go to a med school where most students are very stressed out? The competitive environment at Gtown is something you will be glad you avoided in the future.

Tough choice. I hope I have to make it this cycle too :D.

Good luck wherever you decide to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the *better* school reputation wise. People at GTown would kill to get into WF and I don't think it really goes the other way. The sacrifice is having to live in NC for 4 years instead of DC.

Wake Forest hands down. Better clinical reputation and more research opportunities. Winston Salem is not a very happening place though. :luck:

Go with the *better* school reputation wise. People at GTown would kill to get into WF and I don't think it really goes the other way. The sacrifice is having to live in NC for 4 years instead of DC.

I don't think that's true at all. I withdrew from the WF wait list because I was pretty unimpressed with the school and especially with Winston Salem.

There seems to be a lot of anti-Georgetown sentiment on these boards, but I think Georgetown has an equal or better reputation, especially nationally, as opposed to WF. Just look at our match list and listen to how docs talk about our clinical training-they say we're better trained on away rotations than most anyone.

As far as everyone being competitive and stressed out, that's completely untrue as well. We work hard, but everyone in my class is extremely nice and friendly. They send out study guides and help each other out. Also, because of our module schedule it ends up being 1-2 weeks of relaxed studying and being social, then a week before the exam of intense studying (at least for me), then everyone goes out and blows off steam the weekend after the exam.

Let me know if you have any specific Georgetown related questions and good luck with your decision:)

Can anyone from Wake give their opinion or another Georgetown student?

I don't know why you would say this... I go to Georgetown and I would much rather go there than WF. Gtown is a great school. We have a great match list, diverse clinical opportunities, and a good learning environment. I don't know why so many say we are stressed out, it's like any other medical school; we work hard but we also have a lot of down time. I have been more than happy with my first year of medical school and I would recommend it to anyone.

Usually a silent follower here on SDN, but I felt like I could talk a bit about GT vs. Wake. As a preface, I don't go to either for med school, but I did interview at both and I have a few friends at each school. From my personal experience, both schools have a strong reputation, albeit Wake may have more opportunities esp. with regards to regenerative medicine.

Deciding between these two schools will ultimately rest in your education. While both institutions offer sound curriculums and resources, I believe the competition at Georgetown is too stiff to thrive. From what my friends have told me, Georgetown lacks the friendly student vibe you feel at Wake. At Wake, I just felt that the culture was comforting and conducive to exploring your medical passions.

No matter where you go, you will be receiving a quality education. If this was my decision, I would definitely pursue Wake.

Congrats on getting accepted at 2 schools. PM if you want to hear more about my thoughts (interviewed at both places last year).

Usually a silent follower here on SDN, but I felt like I could talk a bit about GT vs. Wake. As a preface, I don't go to either for med school, but I did interview at both and I have a few friends at each school. From my personal experience, both schools have a strong reputation, albeit Wake may have more opportunities esp. with regards to regenerative medicine.

Deciding between these two schools will ultimately rest in your education. While both institutions offer sound curriculums and resources, I believe the competition at Georgetown is too stiff to thrive. From what my friends have told me, Georgetown lacks the friendly student vibe you feel at Wake. At Wake, I just felt that the culture was comforting and conducive to exploring your medical passions.

No matter where you go, you will be receiving a quality education. If this was my decision, I would definitely pursue Wake.

Congrats on getting accepted at 2 schools. PM if you want to hear more about my thoughts (interviewed at both places last year).

Yeah, perhaps the most famous guy in the world in regenerate medicine is at Wake. I saw his talk on the TED conference simulcast this year, and he is ridiculously awesome. I think he is an M.D. on top of that!!

Having interviewed at both, I was more attracted to Georgetown. You have a great problem, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.