<<<UTMB Class of 2012!!!>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
Congrats on matching to UTMB! You're about to have the best 4 years of your life!

I'm a 4th year medical student at UTMB and we, too, recently had our match for residency. I'm going to Cali (Irvine)!

I have a 1br/1ba, 802 sq ft condo at Port Aux Prince for sale for those who are interested in buying. Buying, if you have the capital, is a great idea because of the way property values have been appreciating in this area.

The Port Aux Prince condos are a 5 min bike ride; 10 min walk from campus; and are right next to the Yacht Club. They offer covered parking, free & plenty of guest parking, pool, right next to an outdoor basketball and tennis court, and each unit has a patio.

The unit I'm selling is a 1br/1ba, walk in bedroom closet, patio that facing UTMB, new AC/heating unit, carpet is in good condition, washer/dryer, dishwasher, new sink garbage disposal, and fireplace. I also have some furniture I want to part with as well.

The list price is $92000. Email me or PM me if interested.

Thanks and congrats again!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting married in June and I was wondering since I get can no longer be on my parents health insurance if there was anything offered through the medical school? If not, what do some of you married students do for health coverage? Seems like a dumb question, but I'm really not sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting married in June and I was wondering since I get can no longer be on my parents health insurance if there was anything offered through the medical school? If not, what do some of you married students do for health coverage? Seems like a dumb question, but I'm really not sure.

I've generally not heard good things about it, but check it out...

http://www.utmb.edu/studentwellness/insurance/

I found this site to be helpful...

http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

Hello, my sister is about to graduate from UTMB and my parents own the condo she has been living in. They are looking for potential renters for next year. It is a 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath in Marina Pointe. It is a gated community with a pool, and covered assigned parking for the residents. Please send me a message if you are interested and I can give you more info.

Hello, my sister is about to graduate from UTMB and my parents own the condo she has been living in. They are looking for potential renters for next year. It is a 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath in Marina Pointe. It is a gated community with a pool, and covered assigned parking for the residents. Please send me a message if you are interested and I can give you more info.
that does sound nice! do you know how much rent would be?

Congrats on Matching to UTMB. You guys are going to love it.

For anyone looking to buy a condo.

I am selling my 2/2 Harbor East condominium. A short bike ride to school.

It is 1004 Sqft.

Built in Microwave, 3 ceiling fans, Master bedroom opens to patio, pool, gazebo and spa area. Storage closets on both front and back patios. Spacious kitchen. Full bath area for each bedroom. Walk in closets in each bedroom. Wet bar in dining area. Close covered parking. W/D in unit. New garbage disposal, and new dishwasher.​

$93,000 or best offer
[email protected] for more information or for pictures.​

I got married in January, so I understand where you are coming from. I opted to have private health care insurance through United Health Care. I must admit though, it is pricey!

Why did you decide to go private? also, what did your private insurance offer that the school's did not?

Raider - the school's policy is through United Health Care. You get a discount for buying the student version. It is a lot more expensive for a spouse or kids. It is fairly pricy but the deductible is only $300/yr for office visits. One bad thing is that you have to pay for prescriptions out of pocket (at places like Walgreens and CVS) and then get reimbursed. Its too much of a hassle unless you need lots of meds. They don't have the best of reputations - but I have had no problems with them at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone interested in affordable housing close to campus, check out Phi Chi Medical Fraternity

Just: I've lived here for 3 years, so I can answer your questions better than the other person. All the frats have their benefits and drawbacks, but for the most part I've been happy with my stay here (which has included 1 year in a double room).

As for the rumors of mold, etc - this is Galveston! It's a damp, warm city. So, even my friends in the downtown lofts have to deal with mold and some uninvited guests. The person who had "mold all over her things" lived away from Phi Chi with her husband 80% of the time and was not around to run her a/c. Not saying it's her fault, but people who actually live in the phi chi house can wipe down their bathroom and run the a/c more often and no one else here has had a major problem with mold. I spend about 25% of my time with my husband in Houston, and I still did not have a problem with mold.

And the pool is clean now. Our pool filter broke before that orientation party last year, but now we have a bigger filter AND we have a pool man that comes out several times a month. It's definitely not "nasty."

Fraternity life is not for everyone. For $325/ month you do have to deal with spending 2 hours a month cleaning the house, sharing resources with others, doing more work yourself to upkeep your room and the property, and if you have "special dietary or personal needs," you need to contact the house manager and discuss whether phi chi is a good fit for you.

But the benefits are cheap rent, fairly secure environment (we look out for each other), family atmosphere (most people hang out and talk at lunch and dinner), free stuff (books, tutoring, and advice), and only needing to wake up 30 mins before you have to get to the hospital at 6am during your 3rd year.

Phi Chi is co-ed, within a 10 minute walk to your classes, $325/month (which includes all bills and 9 meals/ week). Some rooms are already reserved for the fall, so check it out today.

And congrats on your admission!

Hey folks,

As an outgoing UTMB student, I wish to congratulate each and everyone of you and welcome you to the beautiful island. It's a great place with an interesting mix of people and truly has a work hard/play harder atmosphere.

For those of you looking for housing, I'm looking to sell my condo. It's located at 3220 69th St. It's about 5 miles from UTMB and usually takes me less than 10 minutes to get to school. During peak tourist season (Mardi Gras, Spring Break, 3 day weekends, Biker Rally) it takes a little longer, but it has never taken me longer than 16 min. It is walking distance to Walmart, the Seawall, and a bunch of restaurants. It is also on the west end where most of the other stores and restaurants are located. It's 2BR/1 bath more than 900 sq feet. I've remodeled the place over the last few years--tiled the bathroom, living room, and kitchen, added new ceiling fans and light fixtures, redone the fireplace, and put in all new appliances and includes W/D. The complex is really quiet and there's a pool and covered parking. It's posted at $90,000 or $850/month. I'd rather sell but I can lease. I can also do owner financing to avoid the bank interest rates. Anyway, call or e-mail me if you're interested in details-- [email protected] or [email protected] or call 979-492-8588. You can view some pictures of the place at http://www.flickr.com/photos/auzhand/
Thanks,
AJ

hello,

i am looking for someone to move into my apartment. i'm leaving the lease slightly early to move to houston, but its a nice and quiet 1 bd/1 bath apartment in Casa Caribe Apartment 5 min to UTMB. my rent is $485/month. available on 1st May. let me know at [email protected] if you want more info or want to come see it ASAP. it has a built in microwave, dishwasher, and a nice look of the ocean.

Thanks

Its sad that the bulk of our posts are sales/rent offers and bumps...lol

So who's going to pre-matriculation??

Its sad that the bulk of our posts are sales/rent offers and bumps...lol

lol really sad! It seems so quiet on the western front! I'm ready to be moving to galveston already and getting adjusted to the small town life :scared: who' with me?

Also, has anyone gotten their financial aid packet? I am having anxiety about living off of fiancial aid for the next 4 years and want to see how it all breaks down already!

Has anyone heard anything about the aerospace medicine program? I had never really considered anything of the sort, but lately I have been thinking it could be really interesting. Anyways, back to studying and counting the days till aug.

Did you guys get that weird email about some username and password for the financial aid portal?

In an effort not to study for my neuro final exam... I thought I would comment on some stuff... (pure procrastination).

If you are interested in the aerospace medicine "program" - you should really talk to Dr. Lisa Cain. I don't know if you guys got anything in your packet, but she is really advocating for people to get involved, do research, etc. for the program. It sounds really interesting, but I don't know how many people in my class are interested in it.

Prematriculation - they "require" you to buy a lot of your first year books on the first day of the program. Be prepared to fork over some cash. Don't buy everything they tell you to buy - most of it is worthless and you won't use it during prematric or during the year. I would suggest buying: Netter's, Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy, Micriobiology Made Ridiculously Simple, Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochem (this is a maybe during prematric but definite for the school year), What You Need to Know - Anatomy (pick up at Speedy's copy shop on the island) and the Board Review Series book for Anatomy. Some other people may have different suggestions, but those were the only ones I used. The major portion of the program is spent doing anatomy. Wear a nice shirt and do your hair on the first day. They take the picture for your school badge that you will have for all 4 years on that day. Its going to be unbearably hot and humid that day and it'll probably rain just because Galveston likes to do that on picture days -- so be prepared! The rest of the time, wear jeans and a tshirt. Take scrubs from the hospital for anatomy lab.

Don't get spoiled by Dr. Miller and Dr. Collins during prematric. They are the best professors ever!

Buy SCRIBES! They may seem a little pricey, but they are worth every single penny. I would have paid double or triple for them had I known how useful they would be. You will get an informational sheet and info. on how to order them in your June packet.

Be prepared to buy lots of bottled water - Galveston drinking water is nasty.

They give you plenty of financial aid (34k last year) so don't worry about how you are going to scrape by on Ramen noodles and Chef Boyardee. You will have plenty of money for "good" food. You just may not have a whole lot of time to cook it if you are actually doing all the assigned readings. I rather cook...

At the beginning of the school year - they pressure you to buy really nice ophthalmoscopes and otoscopes. Use the ones in the room unless you have a rich relative who wants to buy you a graduation present. I've only used mine twice - for the OSCEs - and they had them in the room so I didn't really need them. Buy a good stethoscope and make sure it has a "bell" on it. You will know what I'm talking about later. Most people I know have the Littman III. I mention this now because it is a good graduation present to ask for from those rich relatives of yours :)

QUEST weekend before school starts is a fun way to get introduced to UTMB. A lot of the stuff is pretty corny but they have 2 nice evening events where you can get to know your classmates in a relaxed atmosphere before orientation. I recommend signing up for it, even if you only go to the two night events.

You guys will love it! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Does anybody know the procedures for pushing back your graduation date? I may need to take one more class in the summer and I am in the process of negotiating this matter with my university, however, if I do indeed have to graduate sometime in the summer and not in May as I indicated on my medschool application, what are the consequences of this? If this is the case everything should be taken care of before school starts in august, but I cannot change anything on my TMDSAS. How do I go about notifying UTMB about this?

p.s. I have over 90+ hours and all my prereqs, the only class i have left is a bs intro to computers class (basically navigating through microsoft office)

Does anybody know the procedures for pushing back your graduation date? I may need to take one more class in the summer and I am in the process of negotiating this matter with my university, however, if I do indeed have to graduate sometime in the summer and not in May as I indicated on my medschool application, what are the consequences of this? If this is the case everything should be taken care of before school starts in august, but I cannot change anything on my TMDSAS. How do I go about notifying UTMB about this?

p.s. I have over 90+ hours and all my prereqs, the only class i have left is a bs intro to computers class (basically navigating through microsoft office)
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just call enrollment services and let them know your new plans. Their number is 409-772-1215, I call them all the time just to make sure they still want me.:D

Hey guys! I know we've beat the living situation topic to death but, I'm trying to decide btwn living in Villa Marina or Village by the Sea. Has anybody heard anything that might push me in one direction or the other? Thanks.

Hey guys! I know we've beat the living situation topic to death but, I'm trying to decide btwn living in Villa Marina or Village by the Sea. Has anybody heard anything that might push me in one direction or the other? Thanks.

I have an apt at Villa Marina. Were you curious about anything specific? Don't know anything about the other place.

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just call enrollment services and let them know your new plans. Their number is 409-772-1215, I call them all the time just to make sure they still want me.:D

Thanks but I got it cleared up and am set to graduate on time. I'm so glad I dont have to waste time and money in the summer taking a class on microsoft office.

has anybody gotten their username and password for the financial aid website yet?

I called the school and they haven't sent any login info for anyone yet.

Yeah, I haven't gotten that either, or the "matriculation forms" I got an email about...I'm starting to get worried about all this stuff...but how about the white coats in ladies sizes? About time! :)

Yeah, I haven't gotten that either, or the "matriculation forms" I got an email about...I'm starting to get worried about all this stuff...but how about the white coats in ladies sizes? About time! :)

I don't think I got an email about the matriculation forms.... what did the email say?

No one ever talks in here anymore. Well, everyone else ready for summer? I know I am

SO AM I!!

I don't think I got an email about the matriculation forms.... what did the email say?

SO AM I!!

The email said something about how they were sending out a packet with forms that needed to be sent back ASAP so we could matriculate.

I'm ready for summer too...2 weeks and finals and I'm done!

I haven't gotten any e-mail about any premat forms.

So, do we have to buy our books at the bookstore, is there somewhere cheaper?

Is anyone in here having problems with their econnect (Quikchek) log-in name and password? I know what mine are but I keep getting locked out and have to constantly call enrollment services to get it reset. Its really annoying and starting to make me worried that maybe they dont want me anymore....UTMB needs to stay in contact with us!!!

Hey guys, I matched into A&M back in February and was waitlisted at UTMB, which was my first choice. Well, after gearing up to go to A&M in August, I received an email today telling me that they were offering me a spot at UTMB. Now there's no doubt that I will be attending UTMB, but I feel so far behind in the process. What have I missed? I don't know where I'm staying, I don't know what I'm going to need, I haven't ordered anything...This came completely out of left field...

I matched to UTMB pretty recently too...dont stress out. You will get your packet soon and it will have tons of information that you need to know. I still dont know where I am staying either but I am going up this weekend to figure it out (I am staying in an apartment or house for the year and dorm for prematriculation). I know a realtor if you need one that knows that island.

I matched to UTMB pretty recently too...dont stress out. You will get your packet soon and it will have tons of information that you need to know. I still dont know where I am staying either but I am going up this weekend to figure it out (I am staying in an apartment or house for the year and dorm for prematriculation). I know a realtor if you need one that knows that island.

Yeah, I'm in Waco and I'm kind of far from Galveston so going down there is not necessarily convenient any time soon, but I'd definitely appreciate the realtor information. I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of freaking out about my living situation here.

Yeah, I'm in Waco and I'm kind of far from Galveston so going down there is not necessarily convenient any time soon, but I'd definitely appreciate the realtor information. I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of freaking out about my living situation here.

Haha, don't worry. You should find a place pretty easily.

who wants to know a realtor? i have an email. message me if you need his name.

UTMB needs to hurry up with our financial aid packets. I'm ready to find out if I'm going to get any free money.

I just got my financial aid award letter...being in debt is going to suck:(

Did you get it by mail or email?

Did anyone else not get financial aid info or was I the only one?:(

I don't know even know what some of my award letter means and I can't get a hold of anyone to explain it to me.