<<<UTMB Class of 2012!!!>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMccodell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to meet some future classmates! I currently live in San Antonio and will be moving to Gtown next fall...anyone know about the real estate there? woohoo I cant believe this is finally happened! CONGRATS everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, i'm pretty pumped about this acceptance, right now im probably gonna be joining you this next fall (by the way....I CANT BELIEVE IM IN!!!!)

Im from san antonio myself, but I go to Tech (so close to being done is lubbock the hell hole). I know nothing about galveston, but im sure in time, they will undoubtedly give us further info. Congratulations to everybody who will be joining us, cant wait to actually meet some people.

cool nice to meet ya man! Im from corpus and I think galveston pretty similar...did you get any other acceptances? I have one at A&M also and I thought they had a great program but UTMB's only studying for one test at a time curriculum is too goo to pass up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I have been around SDN for sometime but this is my first post. I am so excited to start UTMB next year. One of my best friends is an MS1 there and loves it. Congratulations to us all!

On a side note: I go to Tech as well and did not find one reception for UTMB that was anywhere close to us.

Yeah same here! I'm in san antonio none close besides the one in austin on thanksgiving!

Congrats on your acceptances!!

If you guys have any questions about curriculum/housing/fun stuff, feel free to PM me.

I'm 95% sure this is going to be my school !!!

I'm also from San Antonio, going to A&M right now.

I kind of feel like we are sputtering so far. I think we need to recruit to this thread or its gonna be a long couple of months leading up to the start next august.....

I kind of feel like we are sputtering so far. I think we need to recruit to this thread or its gonna be a long couple of months leading up to the start next august.....

HAHA I totally agree I made "adverstisement" in the Texas schools thread

I'm fairly sure I'll be at UTMB in the fall as well! Hey crunchy, I go to A&M too, I've probably seen you around.

Has anyone rsvp'd for a reception yet? I'm going to the one in Dallas/Plano.

yes I am going to the one in Austin...any others? :)

Hey guys. I was in c/o 2011, but I'm on a leave of absence so I will be joining you in the c/o 2012. I'll try to help in any way I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fairly sure I'll be at UTMB in the fall as well! Hey crunchy, I go to A&M too, I've probably seen you around.

cool, love the screen name, big scrubs fan

I'll be at the college station reception, I"m curious what they're going to do.

If I decide to go to the reception thing then Ill be at the Dallas one. I will be easily picked out though. Haha...

I am def going to UTMB. It was my number 1 so hope I get to meet some fellow classmates soon.

i'm trying to get down for the austin reception, but I live in lubbock (that is actually the closest one). I really feel that they are going above and beyond attempting to get us to come to utmb and I am really having a hard time imagining a situation where I would not be going there.

Hey guys, name's Daniel. I will be at UTMB next fall. I go to UT-Austin right now, but went to high school in SA. I'm going to the Austin reception! Next year will be awesome! I see on UTMBs facebook network they have beach parties and stuff. Sounds great. Facebook anyone? (Feel free to facebook me, Daniel Ortiz at Texas)

gonna be at the college station reception....just checking in ;)

If you have not already done so, put together a facebook group. That is how many of our classmates met before school started.. you can check ours out -- its called "UTMB CLASS OF 2011!!!!!!!!! > everything"

Hey Daniel O...you going to the austin reception on Wed night? I will be there...have you thought about where u will be living in galveston? I knw its kinda early but im really excited :hardy:

Hey Daniel O...you going to the austin reception on Wed night? I will be there...have you thought about where u will be living in galveston? I knw its kinda early but im really excited :hardy:

Yes sir, I'll definitely be there (although i have a biochem exam the next day :laugh:). As far as housing, not sure yet, gonna talk to some current MSs about that.

I joined the facebook group, Jonathan Kobrin

so who's going to contribute to UTMB's reputation as "the party med school" besides me? :D

work hard play hard

I am a 3rd year, and my $.02 on Galveston housing is: get some folks together and rent a house. Obviously this is not an option for everyone, but if you can get 3-4 people together, there are many houses for rent in a 5-8 block radius from campus. This is the way you will enjoy the most of what the Galveston/UTMB lifestyle can be like. Alternatively, you could try to find a garage apartment or back house apartment in the neighborhood near the school. This requires a bit of leg-work, as you want to make sure the place is located in a decent part of town (this is pretty apparent just by driving around, typically). The apartment complexes mentioned in that facebook thread are really bland, dated, run-of-the-mill apartment complexes just like you'd find anywhere else. If you live in one of them, your living situation will NOT be one of the things you remember positively about your medical school experience. If you find a cool house and live there with some of your classmates, it has the potential to be a really positive, fun experience that you will remember!

so who's going to contribute to UTMB's reputation as "the party med school" besides me? :D

work hard play hard

Got your back on that one :hardy:

If you are a :hardy:partymonster:hardy: like these two think they are, seriously consider living in one of the fraternity houses. Beta and TKY are presently the most "active" as far as "social activities" go. This is a great way to join in a network of outgoing students of all class-levels, interests, and academic achievements (no joke--many of the highest board scores in my class last year came from frat members).

edit: The frat houses are still male-only AFAIK. Sorry ladies, but having spent some time in them, most females would not be really interested in living in them anyway. Just go to the parties...

Hey crunchymilk, I met you at the reception. I was the guy in the tie, that talked to you as soon as I walked in.

Hey crunchymilk, I met you at the reception. I was the guy in the tie, that talked to you as soon as I walked in.

Hey, probably met me too :p I was wearing the lime green button up w/ khakis.

right one popel eihv not even drunk you guysa re UTMB FOR SHO!

hey dont even know. wassup to all my peopls

I'm procrastinating and not studying for my MCT final so I thought I would give you guys some pointers about first year:

1.) Buy Scribes. (www.scribes2011.com) You will receive information over the summer about how to get them, but they are life-savers. Most lectures don't change year to year and having notes already done for you is great. There is also a sample scribe on the website.
2.) Sign up for tutoring (especially for GAR). The Office of Student Affairs has free tutoring set up for you. A couple of second years get together and go over the really critical stuff for you and answer all your questions. It is not tutoring because you are an idiot -- in fact, most of the people who Honor courses are in tutoring. Its just a great way to get instant study-buddies.
3.) Go to the Prematriculation program if you get invited. It is a 5 week summer thing where you get to go through the rigors of gross anatomy before it really counts. They typically invite URM, people out of school for a while, nontraditional majors, etc. but if you really really want to go -- call the office and see if they have any openings in April/May. I wasn't invited but went anyways and am very glad that I did. Because there are only ~40 people who go you get to know the professors before the other 200 show up. It is taught by the same professors doing your first year courses.
4.) The Starbucks on campus does not take gift cards :( and it closes at like 7 or 8pm everynight.
5.) The library does not have all-night hours but the Graves building does. Graves is the best place ever to study in the middle of the night.
6.) There is a Whataburger right next to campus for late night food runs. Taco Bell is about 60 blocks away and its the only other late night place.
7.) As tempting as it is -- don't go to all the meetings at the beginning of the year that serve free food. The free food will be pizza. If you eat all of that pizza, you will explode and it won't be pretty.
8.) Make sure you have an amazing printer if you are inclined to print all the notes. Going to the library to do it is pretty inconvenient.
9.) Mac laptops work fine on campus. It is not "required" to have a laptop but it is definitely strongly recommended. I bring mine to every PBL session so that I can look up information as it is presented. It is a disadvantage if you cannot do this -- but I do know quite a few people who don't bring one so you can survive without it. Vista also works fine on campus and they are trying to finish the upgrades so that every program is compatible.
10.) I know this is probably common sense but get high speed internet wherever you decide to live.
11.) Don't think that you need to put all of the required texts on your Christmas list this year. You don't need them.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I would much rather answer questions than study :)

liltxcat,

1). Hey, before I forget. I had 2010's scribes, not 2011's. Did ya'll put in summaries of the blue boxes? 2010 only had about half of them....they were so-so I thought.

11). Freudian slip with the final coming up? I think you meant texts....haha.

Scribe packets for the incoming class have not been made so I am not sure what they will do about the blue boxes. At the end of the year, all scribes will be looked over to determine what should go in the packet given to 2012ers.

Common terms 2012ers may or may not know:
GAR: Gross Anatomy & Radiology, 1st course of the year, extremely organized course including 3 PBL sessions per week, 3-4 labs a week, and about 7-10 lectures per week
Blue boxes: from Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy, must read them for GAR tests

MCT: Molecules, Cells, & Tissues, 2nd course, less organized than GAR and includes Biochemistry, Genetics, Pharmacology, Cell Biology, Histology and some other random stuff

PHD: Pathobiology and Host Defense, course after Christmas, includes Immunology, Microbiology, anything that can infect you

NHB: Neuroscience and Human Behavior, last class of the year

WebCT: If you have not already experienced it... just get ready cause everything you do is computer based and on here....

ok, so i sent in my letter about a week and a half ago accepting my offer to UTMB. has anyone gotten a reply from them saying that they got the letter? just wondering if i should call into make sure they got it. thanks.

ok, so i sent in my letter about a week and a half ago accepting my offer to UTMB. has anyone gotten a reply from them saying that they got the letter? just wondering if i should call into make sure they got it. thanks.

I'm probably going to call tomorrow. If I find out anything I'll post here. It will probably be some time before they send out a mass email about it or something.

I posted this on y'alls Facebook group but here it is again:
Hey everyone, I'm an MS1 here and I just wanted to let you know that my boyfriend is a realtor in Galveston and he would be happy to help you guys find what you want (he does apartments and houses, leases and sales, and apt/house locating is free). A couple of my classmates have used him and have been happy! (Using a realtor is especially helpful if you're looking for a house...when we moved down here we didn't and it was a pain). He'll be here until Dec 21 if some of you are coming down during the holidays and I'm not sure when we're coming back but he'll try to accommodate you. His name is Philip Helgren, he works with Remax, and his phone number is 409-599-3990 if you need some help! Thanks a bunch and congratulations! And let me know if you need advice on anything...send me a message on facebook because I don't often check SDN.
And definitely make sure they have your acceptance packets, because mine got lost in the mail somehow.

Just an update. I called UTMB today and they received my packet at least. No word on when they will acknowledge it in email or whatever. If you're anxious about it just give them a call. It only took 2 minutes. The number is (409)772-6958. Good luck on finals!
Daniel

I called in today too. They hadn't received my acceptance letter yet. But i did send a reply to their email a few days after the 15th and she said that they got that and are holding my spot. She said they got abt 100 acceptance letters yesterday. She told me to wait a few days and that i will be good for a while. Just thought i would let yall know.

Hello all-
Just found this thread.. AWESOME :D
Will most likely be attending UTMB in the fall. I loved Galveston, and I can't wait to move down there!
HI to all future classmates, and can't wait to be a part of the class of 2012!

Hello all-
Just found this thread.. AWESOME :D
Will most likely be attending UTMB in the fall. I loved Galveston, and I can't wait to move down there!
HI to all future classmates, and can't wait to be a part of the class of 2012!

right on Dallas!

I will be joining you crazy kids at UTMB in the fall!!!! Congrats and I cant wait to meet you all... lets get this thread goin baby!!!!!!!! So where are yall from? ..... Who me?! oh! Well the names Chidi, I am from houston, doin my undergrad at utdallas and now extremely excited to be a part of utmb. get excited!!!!!!!!!!

I will be joining you crazy kids at UTMB in the fall!!!! Congrats and I cant wait to meet you all... lets get this thread goin baby!!!!!!!! So where are yall from? ..... Who me?! oh! Well the names Chidi, I am from houston, doin my undergrad at utdallas and now extremely excited to be a part of utmb. get excited!!!!!!!!!!

my name is jonathan kobrin (facebook me!). I'm from san antonio, went to the great Texas A&M University, graduate in May, and I am more excited about UTMB than you!!!

my name is jonathan kobrin (facebook me!). I'm from san antonio, went to the great Texas A&M University, graduate in May, and I am more excited about UTMB than you!!!

haha! very nice to meet you j! I guess gig' em huh?!!! (Good thing yall got rid of Franchioni!) Dude It's still kind of crazy to think that I'm going to med school. Dream come true brother! I'm thinkin of looking into those frat houses ... any insight on housing and stuff?

haha! very nice to meet you j! I guess gig' em huh?!!! (Good thing yall got rid of Franchioni!) Dude It's still kind of crazy to think that I'm going to med school. Dream come true brother! I'm thinkin of looking into those frat houses ... any insight on housing and stuff?

I'm learning heavily towards the beta house. I'm a very social person and it just seems that it would fit. Join the facebook group (if you haven't already), and there is a guy there who lives in a frat house, I talked with him for a while about all the details of it, ask him he knows it all!