<<<UTMB Class of 2012!!!>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm glad I checked this thread I had no idea galveston wanted our fall transcripts. There's an extra 10 bucks gone since we have to send the spring ones as well. O well I sent it electronically, should be there in time.

Members don't see this ad.

So, do any of the Aggies want to get together this upcoming week? Maybe Thrusday night before everyone leaves town? We could meet at the Fox and Hound for pint night...

Anyone else up for it?

Ok so now I'm confused! Where did you find out that you had to send in a transcript by 3/3/08? I only got one letter and I called the number on the bottom and the lady said that I didn't have to send anything in until after I finished all my classes? Am i missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you sent in your fall transcripts to TMDSAS, then you don't need to send them in to UTMB.

I think if you sent in your fall transcripts to TMDSAS, then you don't need to send them in to UTMB.

No, they specifically say that TMDSAS won't send your transcript to UTMB. You need to send a transcript directly to UTMB. It was in the packet they sent us.

No, they specifically say that TMDSAS won't send your transcript to UTMB. You need to send a transcript directly to UTMB. It was in the packet they sent us.
I've only gotten one letter so far. It said to send complete transcripts and also had an ID number in it. Have you gotten another one besides that?

Got my big packet as well. It however, has no info aboout TKY in it. All the other frats are in it, but not them. whats up with that??

Oh, and does anyone know about the scholorships at UTMB? For my FAFSA I just need to report my income right? Then send my parents w-2 in? My parents are divorced, so do I need to send in biological parents or who I live with? I am gonna call monday but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Got my big packet as well. It however, has no info aboout TKY in it. All the other frats are in it, but not them. whats up with that??

Oh, and does anyone know about the scholorships at UTMB? For my FAFSA I just need to report my income right? Then send my parents w-2 in? My parents are divorced, so do I need to send in biological parents or who I live with? I am gonna call monday but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

For FAFSA report the parent that you are a dependent of, only one can claim you.

TKY is not owned by UTMB or forced to follow UTMB's rules. Because of this TKY is not advertised in the packet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_Kappa_Psi

http://thetakappapsi.com/

Does anyone know if the Villa Marina and Charlton Courtyard apartments get filled up before march or is there still time to reserve a room during spring break(10-15). Thanx

Does anyone know if the Villa Marina and Charlton Courtyard apartments get filled up before march or is there still time to reserve a room during spring break(10-15). Thanx

I called Villa Marina this afternoon. A lady named Liz said they had openings (but I asked about May since I'm moving in for pre matriculation). I think most people are going to look at housing during spring break. I'm going this weekend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Villa Marina this afternoon. A lady named Liz said they had openings (but I asked about May since I'm moving in for pre matriculation). I think most people are going to look at housing during spring break. I'm going this weekend.

Regarding Villa Marina and finding spaces, I was able to find a 1b/1b there last summer in June. I wouldn't recommend this as a course of action, but I thought I would throw it out there. I moved in sometime in August and have had no complaints. Actually, several of my friends have been having trouble with their places at Chateau Le'fitte and the Carriage House (A/C going out, leaky roof, etc.). So I would definitely recommend taking a look at the spaces and talking with people who live at the complex or have before.

I live in the apartments on Ferry Road, which are further away from UTMB than the ones on Harborside. I still walk or bike to school every day, so if you're up for that I would recommend it. It takes me a good 15 minutes to walk to Old Red/Mary Moody/Graves (where lab/PBL are located) and 20 minutes to get to Levin Hall (where lectures are generally located). But I think the walk helps me wake up and I just throw on the Ipod.

Oh another thing, I know two people here who will be moving out sometime in May. They are second years heading to Austin for 3rd, so two more spots will be opening up around that time. One is in a 1/1 like mine and the other is a 1/1 with study.

Well, if there's anything else you'd like to know about the place or whatever, hit me with a PM.

I turned in my application at Villa Marina today and I think she said I was third on the list. It kind of think it depends on which floor plan you want tho... I think you'll be ok if you go next weekend.

Has anyone lived in the Phi Chi house... or know someone that's lived there... or has anyone taken a tour of the house?? Does it look decent or crappy, etc.

Justme -- Phi Chi is pretty nasty. They had numerous rodent problems in the kitchen but supposedly they are gone now. I had a friend who had black mold grow all over her room, clothes, bed, and walls while she was away for Christmas vacation. There are no heaters in the rooms so you have to be a room space heater. They don't keep up the grounds and its just pretty shady overall. There was a party at the house during orientation week - the pool was disgusting brown nastiness, the grass hadn't been mowed in weeks, and there was no air conditioner on in the common area. Definitely look somewhere else!

Justme -- Phi Chi is pretty nasty. They had numerous rodent problems in the kitchen but supposedly they are gone now. I had a friend who had black mold grow all over her room, clothes, bed, and walls while she was away for Christmas vacation. There are no heaters in the rooms so you have to be a room space heater. They don't keep up the grounds and its just pretty shady overall. There was a party at the house during orientation week - the pool was disgusting brown nastiness, the grass hadn't been mowed in weeks, and there was no air conditioner on in the common area. Definitely look somewhere else!

wow. That's scary. What about Phi rho? I saw it on the utmb website and it seemed okay.

Congrats to all who matched at UTMB. As a graduating 4th year med student, I can tell you it will be a blast. It's hard work, but you have a lot of down time, so it is very managable. Anyway, I own a house in nearby "Fish Village", which is a very popular place to live for the med students and residents due to its proximity to UTMB...it's about 1 mile, or a 5 minute bike ride. The house is a 2 bedroom/1 bath house in great condition, and is the cheapest one on the market. I have a flyer but it is too big to attach on this forum, so you can e-mail me or call me if interested. I can also send pics, or even tell you about other houses my classmates are selling if it is not what you are looking for. Good luck with the rest of undergrad, enjoy your free time while you can!

Chad Fairchild
[email protected]
(409) 765-7781

wow. That's scary. What about Phi rho? I saw it on the utmb website and it seemed okay.

I think that's the one I stayed at during Prematric. Its pretty old. I started keeping a roach count just for giggles. I'd visit any place you're considering if posible, some people are willing to put up with more/less than others. I'm sure they have a website as well....

You're from UTA, right? Do you know Blossom, currently at TCOM?

I think that's the one I stayed at during Prematric. Its pretty old. I started keeping a roach count just for giggles. I'd visit any place you're considering if posible, some people are willing to put up with more/less than others. I'm sure they have a website as well....

You're from UTA, right? Do you know Blossom, currently at TCOM?

yea I remember seeing her around UTA all the time

Hey Guys,

I am a third year student. I live in some lofts in the downtown area. Its about a mile from John Sealy hospital - Levin Hall is a little closer. We have a few units open. There are 1/1 and efficiencies that have little tiny bedrooms separate from the living area. You can walk, bike, or take the trolly from here. Everyone who lives here currently is a student except my husband and one resident. Please msg me if you are interested and I can get you more info.

Congrats all.

Last edited:
Does anyone know for certain what we need to do to apply for financial aid? I completed my FASFA and sent it to UTMB. Do I need to do anything else right now? Thanks guys

Does anyone know for certain what we need to do to apply for financial aid? I completed my FASFA and sent it to UTMB. Do I need to do anything else right now? Thanks guys

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not, but for anyone else -- did you guys fill out the information about your parents? I'm confused...:confused:

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not, but for anyone else -- did you guys fill out the information about your parents? I'm confused...:confused:

I can answer this! I just talked to enrollment services and they said that you don't have to include your parents info. because as a medical student you are AUTOMATICALLY considered an independent when applying for financial aid. But if you want to be eligible for NEED-BASED scholarships and grants then you MUST provide your parents info! And providing your parents info will in NO WAY hurt your chances at receiving financial aid.

I didn't include my parents info on my original financial aid application so I am going to ammend it and resend it today! Hope this helps!

I can answer this! I just talked to enrollment services and they said that you don't have to include your parents info. because as a medical student you are AUTOMATICALLY considered an independent when applying for financial aid. But if you want to be eligible for NEED-BASED scholarships and grants then you MUST provide your parents info! And providing your parents info will in NO WAY hurt your chances at receiving financial aid.

I didn't include my parents info on my original financial aid application so I am going to ammend it and resend it today! Hope this helps!

Thank you so much - you're so helpful! I'm all done! :) :thumbup:
So what happens now?...

Thank you so much - you're so helpful! I'm all done! :) :thumbup:
So what happens now?...

Now we wait. I think they'll send us an email telling us to log onto econnect to look at our award letters.

Hey everybody, I recieved my acceptance a while ago and chances are I will be coming to UTMB.

I visited the AKK house and everybody there was cool, but I think I'll be staying on campus apartments. I'm looking for a roommate, and I don't know anybody who is going there. Anybody else in the same boat as I?

Hey guys! I just stumbled onto SDN and this thread! I'll be joining you in the fall at UTMB. I've read all the posts and the ones about the apartment waiting lists are making me nervous. I was planning on getting on a waiting list for Carelton Courtyard for the end of July. Is this a good place? I'm from Illinois and am currently attending Northern Illinois University, so it's hard for me to go and actually look at places. Should I get on the waiting list for a few? I'm all worried now...advice would be appreciated!

Hey man congrats,

From what I've heard it is best to go with utmb student housing, be it dorm, apartment or via a frat because all of those are within walking distance from class. Galveston may seem small but it is larger than you think. Traffic sometimes sucks on broadway and there are a BITCH load of cops especially near 61st street.

Carelton courtyard is probably the best alternative to student housing because it is close as well. Did you submit your housing information yet?

Hey guys! I just stumbled onto SDN and this thread! I'll be joining you in the fall at UTMB. I've read all the posts and the ones about the apartment waiting lists are making me nervous. I was planning on getting on a waiting list for Carelton Courtyard for the end of July. Is this a good place? I'm from Illinois and am currently attending Northern Illinois University, so it's hard for me to go and actually look at places. Should I get on the waiting list for a few? I'm all worried now...advice would be appreciated!

Carleton Courtyard is one of the more popular places. I would try to get on the wait list as soon as possible. I was going to live there, but I don't have much money right now, so I decided to live in a frat.

You should also join our facebook group. There's a thread about living locations that might help you. There are a few people there that said they would be living in Carleton, so you could message them and ask them questions. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8860537418

Because I do. I was thinking of living in either Carelton Courtyard on the East end or Broadwater or Villages by the Sea on the West end. Please respond and let me know.

Have any of yall checked out the 2008 match list for UTMB. Some of the placements are really great, but UTMB didn't provide any statistical info or any info about how many did not match... any of the current students know more about it?

All I know is that the ones who did match got some reaaally good appointments. :hardy:

From what I've been told, the student services will tell you where you stand regarding what residency you want to go into, as in if you don't have a good step 1 and you want to go into derm, they're going to tell you straight up you won't match into derm. So I don't think many people go unranked, unless it is by choice, or they are feeling ambitious and want to apply to a residency they have slim to none chance of getting in. Even then I've never heard of that happening but it's possible?

Anyway, UTMB rocks!

Hey! Just wondering if people are going to pre-matriculation? SPAIN with friends in June or pre-matric? what do y'all think?

I did pre-matric. If I had to chose I would do SPAIN with friends for sure!!!

FYI: TKY is hosting an Alumni Day party (Sat. March 29th 9:00PM). UTMB/TKY Alumni will be present and ALL current UTMB students as well as entering freshmen are welcome. It should be a lot of fun, we plan on having live music and other festivities. This is a great time to come out and meet the guys and check out the house to see if you want to live here or be an out of house member (its well worth it). All frats have their pluses and minuses. You really need to come out and meet the guys to see where you click.

Paul - MSII.
TKY-VP.
If you have any questions hit me up at [email protected].

Hey! Just wondering if people are going to pre-matriculation? SPAIN with friends in June or pre-matric? what do y'all think?

Spain sounds nice. I was planning on going to Nigeria, but I have no money so I'm going to pre-matric. Some people are going to pre-matric and then traveling in July.

All I know is that the ones who did match got some reaaally good appointments. :hardy:

From what I've been told, the student services will tell you where you stand regarding what residency you want to go into, as in if you don't have a good step 1 and you want to go into derm, they're going to tell you straight up you won't match into derm. So I don't think many people go unranked, unless it is by choice, or they are feeling ambitious and want to apply to a residency they have slim to none chance of getting in. Even then I've never heard of that happening but it's possible?

Anyway, UTMB rocks!

Thanks for the info. but sounds kinda scary, "the ones who DID match" lol were there a lot who didn't match? I know at UTHSCSA like 12 people didn't match. One is a guy with a 3.6 gpa and a 237 on the USMLE. He didn't match into a general surgery spot (at UTH, UTSW, and UTHSCSA). He ended up going into the scramble and got a preliminary spot at Baylor. Kinda scary....Isn't a 237 a high scorefor the USMLE?

Thanks for the info. but sounds kinda scary, "the ones who DID match" lol were there a lot who didn't match? I know at UTHSCSA like 12 people didn't match. One is a guy with a 3.6 gpa and a 237 on the USMLE. He didn't match into a general surgery spot (at UTH, UTSW, and UTHSCSA). He ended up going into the scramble and got a preliminary spot at Baylor. Kinda scary....Isn't a 237 a high scorefor the USMLE?

I'll try to clear up some stuff about all that since I'm a second year and have been trying to piece all that stuff together myself. First off, I'm biased but I think UTMB is the best medical school in the nation. We have great academics and people. Your first two years will be geared for you to do well on the step1, and our board score averages show it. Not only are there lectures, there is pbl to integrate principles seen in lecture and on step1 in clinical cases. Even more, pom gives you clinical education. There may be a school that does things as well as UTMB, but I don't believe there is another school that is better than UTMB.

For residency, the single most important thing is a board score. A competitive score in a particular field can get you a foot in the door. At the same time a low score in a particular field will get you screened out. Take a look at Charting Outcomes in the Match. It will give you an idea of what scores are compatible with what fields. Yeah it sucks that a single score on one test can decide what residency you can go into. But that is the way it is and to be honest you may not get the field you want to get. The good side is you will be going to UTMB and will be prepared to take the test.

For the above guy, I don't know him or his stats, but he does have a good board score for general surgery. While that is most important, there are other factors such as is he a likeable person, can he/she speak english, AOA, research experience, did he/she apply broadly? While his board score is competitive to land him a spot somewhere, as it did, maybe he limited himself by only three choices, I don't know. Residency is competitive.

GPA does not carry the same weight in residency matching as it did for medical school acceptance. Grading systems for the first two years vary across programs. In UTMB, ranking is done for AOA. As far as grades go, AOA is what you want, along with solid year 3 clerkship grades. Do well in third year, get some letters of recommendation.

It is also important to have a background in research. I don't think undergraduate is enough, but that is just my thinking. I think it will be of benefit for all UTMB students to do the summer research program in the summer before second year. That's just my advice and take it how you want.

So all in all, step1, AOA, year3 grades, good letters of recommendation, and research experience.

Focus on those things, not matching. It's not my intention to talk down to you, I hope you don't feel I am. I'm just trying to tell you the things I've heard and come to learn about UTMB.

You're going to be coming to an awesome school. Feel good about it. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself and I wish you and all your fellow classmates success! And also a nice weekend. :D

I did pre-matric. If I had to chose I would do SPAIN with friends for sure!!!

FYI: TKY is hosting an Alumni Day party (Sat. March 29th 9:00PM). UTMB/TKY Alumni will be present and ALL current UTMB students as well as entering freshmen are welcome. It should be a lot of fun, we plan on having live music and other festivities. This is a great time to come out and meet the guys and check out the house to see if you want to live here or be an out of house member (its well worth it). All frats have their pluses and minuses. You really need to come out and meet the guys to see where you click.

Paul - MSII.
TKY-VP.
If you have any questions hit me up at [email protected].
Do you know if there are any other functions where incoming students can meet each other and current students? Well other than orientation and quest?

TKY will be hosting more socials/cookouts during the next few months. In addition to the Alumni Day party (Sat. March 29th 9:00PM) we host a huge "White Trash - Trailer Bash" Party where virtually all med students 1st-4th come out to meet the incoming class. This year it is scheduled for Friday Aprill 11th at the TKY Mansion on 4th and Post Office.

The only official school socials are Quest and Pre-matric may have a socials at the end of the program.

Thanks for the breakdown TX515! I think I know where my friend went wrong now. Can't wait to begin in the fall and meet all you guys!

This website is the listing of UTMB students and their match spots:
http://www.utmb.edu/PDFs/MatchDay2008.pdf
After the scramble there were three students who did not match. They do not post statistics on how many students scramble. But, there appear to be six additional students who did not match to a categorical program because they are only listed as having a prelim position.

Not matching happens for a variety of reasons as was outlined above by TX515. By far, an applicant who appears competitive often does not match because they are selective in the programs they apply to and do not apply to enough places. For competitive residencies you kind of have to be willing to go where you are accepted, and not be so choosy about where you move.

Yes, the staff here will tell you if they do not feel you are a competitive applicant for a position. But, you are free to apply if you wish. I know this was true of at least one of the students who did not match. Also, realize that schools that have high match percentages may encourage their students to also apply to a back up program and they may not have even matched in the field they desired. Statistics can be made to anything you want them to be...

UTMB is a great program because of its personality, people and location. Academic success is an independent factor that you can achieve at most schools if you are willing to work hard enough for it :)

Rachel
UTMB-SOMIII