<<<UTMB Class of 2012!!!>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I'm a second year student at UTMB, so I know how hard it was to get in. So, congradulations class of 2012!!

If you are looking for a cool place to live, my girlfriend had to move out of her loft in downtown Galveston early, and we need to find a new renter ASAP. NOT a sublet, you will get a new lease with the landlord. It's a beautiful one bedroom loft downtown with high ceilings (13 feet), hardwood floors throughout, except the kitchen, which has marble tile. It's in a historic building with only four other units. There are two units open right now. It's on 20th st, so it's a short bike ride or drive to school, but it is an awesome place. Walk to all the bars dowtown or on the strand.

Email me if you are interested, I'll be happy to send pictures, give you a tour, or whatever. Or answer any questions you might have about school or UTMB!

Chad Hooten, MS-2
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody live at the Part at Cedar Lawn? How is it there? I recently got shammed out of an apartment elsewhere and this place is my last hope...and I hope it doesn't suck.

Sorry, I forgot to say some things.
It's $775 a month, but the landlord will come down to $750 at least. My girlfriend got him down to $725. He might even go lower.
Her apartment was about 600 square feet, and with 13 feet ceilings, it feels like it's much bigger. I'm not sure how big the other open unit is, but it's also a one bedroom.

Chad Hooten

Members don't see this ad :)
nm

Last edited:
Any current residents of Galveston know how much utilities usually run?
Park at Cedar Lawn --
I lived there for a year... Its not the most glamorous of places but it serves its purpose. I chose it because I could get a huge 2 bedroom apartment (~1400sq ft) for under $1000 a month. I had all new appliances and carpet so that was nice. The outside of the bldg. is pretty ghetto but I felt perfectly safe parking on the street or in the little circular thing in front. I never felt "unsafe" walking around alone at night. Its about a 7-10 minute drive to school during peak hours. I also liked getting away from the school/hospital sometimes too.

electricity - no more than $60
water + all the other stuff from the apartment = $40
Comcast internet - $60 after the promotion period

I'm going to be living in Friendswood, and making the drive.

Good thing I'm close to 45, this should be fun. :scared:

But my wife-to-be will be right next to her work, and its a great town.

Lots of people commute... we even have people driving in from downtown Houston. I'm sure you know all about the traffic on 45S.. just be extra prepared on exam days because traffic on the causeway seems to balloon on those days.

Hey Class of 2012! Congrats on getting in :)

I'm female third year and looking for a roommate. I live at Port aux Princes and need to find someone to live in my extra bedroom. Rent is $550 + utilities and cable. If you'd like to see pics or want more info - email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

My wife and I have been working to find her a job as an elementary school teacher. We have been looking at schools all over the area, but sometimes it's all who ya know. Does anybody have spouses in any area schools or any good contacts? Any help would be appreciated, we're getting more nervous by the day.

I have a question that current student may be able to answer. What is the orientation like? Is it 8-5 the whole week, what exactly should we be prepared for? Thanks and lookin forward to it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to Farmer's, because I have auto insurance through them, and they said that they don't insure on the island...so I don't know if I'm going to bother.

Oh no! :eek: They don't insure anything on the island or they don't do renters insurance on the island? I was planning on just transferring my insurance to galveston...

Orientation was more like 8-3ish or 4 Monday-Thursday with Friday off. Its all pretty boring - pictures for IDs, computer orientation, introducing the different deans and offices, intro to GAR, etc. You will get a bag and binder that first morning with the schedule and a bunch of free stuff.

what date does orientation start? are there any other events besides orientation that should be attended?

Oh no! :eek: They don't insure anything on the island or they don't do renters insurance on the island? I was planning on just transferring my insurance to galveston...

I only asked about renters insurance...so I have no idea. I'm pretty sure my auto insurance is fine down there though.

Park at Cedar Lawn --
I lived there for a year... Its not the most glamorous of places but it serves its purpose. I chose it because I could get a huge 2 bedroom apartment (~1400sq ft) for under $1000 a month. I had all new appliances and carpet so that was nice. The outside of the bldg. is pretty ghetto but I felt perfectly safe parking on the street or in the little circular thing in front. I never felt "unsafe" walking around alone at night. Its about a 7-10 minute drive to school during peak hours. I also liked getting away from the school/hospital sometimes too.

electricity - no more than $60
water + all the other stuff from the apartment = $40
Comcast internet - $60 after the promotion period

did you use Reliant energy?

My electricity bill was over 115 this past month. It's been pretty hot outside and I'm rather generous with the AC so I guess that's why... :)

I attended quest last year and am helping plan it this year. I would absolutely recommend it. You end up meeting a lot of people that weekend and there is a fraternity party on Friday.

I'm pretty sure that we do have to go register on that website...I think August 1st is the deadline.

Thanks!! I will see you there :)

Anyone going to AMWA welcome weekend? It is pointless to go to both the welcome weekend and QUEST?! :rolleyes:

Thanks!! I will see you there :)

Anyone going to AMWA welcome weekend? It is pointless to go to both the welcome weekend and QUEST?! :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to go to both the welcome weekend and quest. I didn't do pre mat so I think it'll give me a chance to meet more ppl.

does anyone have advice for cheap internet service?

I dont know if I am going to QUEST. My family has a cruise from the 9th to the 14th so I would have just gotten back. For those that have already dont it from previos years, what do the "group section meeting" things do?

I'm going to Vegas from Aug. 9th-14th, so I know for sure I won't be in Galveston for QUEST on the 15th. But would it be okay going just for the second day or is it not even worth it

Just got a big packet in the mail about orientation and white coat and all. Orientation sounds dreadful but we do have friday off and I believe thursday morning. It says we should dress professionally for orientation but then says its required for pictures and something else. So do we have to wear like a tie and button up shirt all day whilst listening to lectures on integrity, intros to the classes and deans and all? Thats gonna blow if so.

The way I read it said to dress professionally for the white coat ceremony and ANY time on campus. So yea, if it means all week that's going to suck, especially since it'll probably be in the mid to high 90's the whole time.

I talked to a second year and he said that some people will dress up and many wont for just sitting in the rooms and stuff. I relooked at the packet and there is break right before the White Coat ceremony so I will go change into dress clothes at that time. You can for pictures during lunch on Tuesday.

He said dont dress up except when you have to cause otehrwise "its hot as s**t".

On a side note, when is everyone moving down?

I just moved into a place on 9th right next to the seawall and like 5 blocks from utmb...I have been on campus quiet a few times and everyone walking around was NOT dressed up at all in fact everyone was wearing a tee shirt shorts and flip flops lol...

Anyone else in galveston yet? The beach is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be! I grew up in corpus and the beaches there and in south padre are the exact same. I have been fishing and skim boarding and both have ben alot of fun. Plus, surprisingly, there are ALOT of good places to eat out here and ALOT of bars which get pretty packed on the weekends. There is even one on the seawal next to the beach called "float" and there is a pool and u can swim up to the bar...

I will be in a frat house near 4th. Movin in on completely on the 14th so should be good to go that nite hopefully. I emjoy the beach and have been to galveston and corpus several times. The beaches really arent as bad as they say but the waves are very lame.

DrMccodell, what are some good like mom and pop kinda places if youve tried any yet? My parents are going to come down one weekend and they like those types of places. I want to learn how to skim board. It always looks fun when people do it.

Only dress up for the first day -- guys don't have to wear jackets or anything and then dress up for pictures because those follow you around for 4 years. The rest of your time at UTMB = tshirts, shorts, flip flops, pajamas, workout gear, whatever you want. You only have to dress up if you are seeing patients. Orientation is extremely boring...

Any golfers here?

I will be in a frat house near 4th. Movin in on completely on the 14th so should be good to go that nite hopefully. I emjoy the beach and have been to galveston and corpus several times. The beaches really arent as bad as they say but the waves are very lame.

DrMccodell, what are some good like mom and pop kinda places if youve tried any yet? My parents are going to come down one weekend and they like those types of places. I want to learn how to skim board. It always looks fun when people do it.

Haro, yes the waves are punny! Last week with that hurricane in the gulf the waves were actually pretty big, but the storm brought in alot of seaweed and garae :(

For seafood, I have heard "Casey's" on the seawall is really good family owned seafood. There is also a really good greek place on the seawall called "olympia grill"....if I can think of more I will get back to ya

For seafood, I have heard "Casey's" on the seawall is really good family owned seafood. There is also a really good greek place on the seawall called "olympia grill"....if I can think of more I will get back to ya

Sounds great. Thanks.

LilTXcatMD, Why "Only dress up for the first day"? They give us a break before White Coat. WHy dress like that and be hot all day if we can change beforehand? Thanks.

588, Im not a big fan of golf but im always down for some frisbee golf or putt putt. LOL

(I couldnt figure out how to quote mulitple people at once without having to type in "[quote.../quote])

Sounds great. Thanks.

LilTXcatMD, Why "Only dress up for the first day"? They give us a break before White Coat. WHy dress like that and be hot all day if we can change beforehand? Thanks.

588, Im not a big fan of golf but im always down for some frisbee golf or putt putt. LOL

(I couldnt figure out how to quote mulitple people at once without having to type in "[quote.../quote])

If I remember correctly, we didn't really have a whole lot of time to change before ours. We had a break but then they made us line up for over an hour before the ceremony started. They may have given you guys some more time though. You also have to think about how you would physically change - carrying around a suit bag with nowhere to put it down during orientation? running back to your apartment? driving home?

If you leave campus in a car, you must remember that you probably won't be able to park when you get back (students + visitors parking where they aren't supposed to). With no first years on campus and most of the nursing students still on summer break, there is already no student parking available in the afternoon. Walking 4-5 blocks in the suit mid-afternoon would probably be much hotter than morning and having the time to cool off sitting in Levin.

Most of the girls wore summer dresses and guys wore slacks and tie. It wasn't that bad.

BTW - parking is usually fine at the beginning of first year because second years aren't on campus at 8am. Once you get past the first couple of courses and have later morning things, parking gets much worse because you are competing with many more people. Get on the rooftop parking waiting list - its very convenient and you never have to get to school half an hour early just for parking.

Some recent announcements regarding UTMB's growth over the next few years:

• A $61 million specialty medical center in League City to attract insured patients in the affluent north county. The 110,000-square-foot facility on 35 acres near Interstate 45, FM 646 and the Victory Lakes subdivision will offer advanced imaging, pediatric and adult clinics, outpatient surgery and pediatric urgent care. The facility won’t, however, serve as a hospital — at least not anytime soon, officials have said. Construction is expected to begin this month.

• A $250 million surgical tower with 20 operating rooms and almost 200 beds. To make way for the seven-story, 460,000-square-foot tower, the former Jennie Sealy Hospital, now being used as offices, would have to be demolished, as would the former Shriners Burn Hospital. Demolition could begin late next year, with construction of the tower to begin in the summer of 2010. The tower would allow residents to train in modern settings and accommodate new and larger equipment and technology, officials say. The medical branch would pay for the tower through borrowing and donations.

• A $90 million research building at Sixth Street and Harborside Drive, across the street from the school’s Primary Care Pavilion. It will house offices and laboratories for medical branch researchers and help the institution attract scientists from around the world, officials say. Construction on the five-story, 140,000-square-foot building is expected to begin in early 2010. The medical branch also would borrow funding and use donations to pay for the building.

None of these will directly help us out - but would be great for residency!

anybody know whats the deal with the mini group or school thing that everyone is preassigned to?

anybody know whats the deal with the mini group or school thing that everyone is preassigned to?

Its just a mentoring/social group. You plan activities throughout the year - community service, BBQs, health fairs, etc. You can be as involved as you want or you can not show up to any of it. Its just a way to help you meet people and find a faculty mentor. POM1 groups are also composed of people in the same Osler society - but it doesn't really matter.

Its just a mentoring/social group. You plan activities throughout the year - community service, BBQs, health fairs, etc. You can be as involved as you want or you can not show up to any of it. Its just a way to help you meet people and find a faculty mentor. POM1 groups are also composed of people in the same Osler society - but it doesn't really matter.

are the scribes notes worth it

are the scribes notes worth it

Buy scribes instead of textbooks. You don't need many books first year.. you do NEED scribes.

GAR - anatomy atlas, baby Moore's, What You Need to Know
MCT- Lippincott's Biochem, BRS Embryology
PHD- Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, Immunology text, maybe Genetics if you are weak in it
Neuro - Nolte Human Brain book
POM - buy Bates even though its doubtful you will ever read it, its nice to have

Scribes will be your main reading material during first year...

I was gonna sign up and get the free netters. Netters is a good atlas right? I remember them saying you need to know the "blue boxes". May I ask what that is? Im sure it will be explained in detail in a week or so...

I was gonna sign up and get the free netters. Netters is a good atlas right? I remember them saying you need to know the "blue boxes". May I ask what that is? Im sure it will be explained in detail in a week or so...

Netters I would say is the best atlas but everyone has their own preference. The blue boxes are in the Clinical Anatomy book which is the other text for anatomy. All the blue boxes are the clinical correlations for that specific body part.