<<<UTMB Class of 2012!!!>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No financial aid here either...getting nervous. I'm such a worrier. :) Anybody get any other forms or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

FYI, enrollment services is behind a month or so with financial aid - but they claim if you wait, you will hear from them soon. We haven't even heard from them regarding filing our parental info, and I'm pretty certain by this time last year they had pretty much our entire packets set up. If you filled out your FAFSA and indicated that you will file more parental info, you are more likely to get "free money." A lot of first years get scholarships (particularly need based), tho you have to actually search them out second year and beyond.

If you didn't indicate that you will file parental info, then they assume your parents can cover you and you will likely be receiving the full amount of subsidized + unsubsidized federal funding, but less likely to get "free money" (at least, not much beyond the money you'd get for being a minority student/ applying for an individual scholarship/ out of state tuition waver/ stuff you kinda already knew about).

But either way, I'd recommend filing for fafsa. It's the cheapest loan you are ever likely going to get (and you'll get some surprise costs in the form of test fees and 4th year traveling fees), you can pay as much as you want back whenever you want, if you don't want the full amount, and it can be beneficial to not overdraw your bank account over rent, or be worrying if your stocks or parents are going to come through for you over the next 4 years.

Anyways, the new website seems to be setting fin aid back for a lot of people, but they swear we should all hear soon. Good luck and enjoy your summer!

Oh yeah, as for prematric, if you didn't get invited, it's not that big a deal. Prematrics might be better prepared for about the first 2 weeks of your first class, but the differences have never been significant past that first month. Mainly, the prematric people tend to be a little more bonded with one another (and with some of the professors) at the beginning of the year, and they've had a sample gross anatomy lab exam (so they're less likely to freak out on the real one). It's main purpose seems to be to help people get some added psychological adjustment to the rigors of med school.

I do recommend taking part in orientation week social events - you might make friends with the people who will be closest to you for the next 4 years. Good luck!

Yeah, I called this morning and was told that I should hear back about financial aid by the end of the month...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the schedule is going to be like for pre-matric?

Congratz on getting into med school and welcome to UTMB.

I'm a third year psych resident here and I'll be shipping out in June to start a fellowship in SC. I've got a house for sale (or rent) here in Bayou Vista.

2 bed 2 bath 2 story and located on the water (catch blue crabs and flounder the dock in the backyard). Oh and the kayak stays with the place.

It would make a great place for a pair of med students with 1/1 upstairs and 1/1 downstairs. You'll never have to bother each other if you're on separate schedules

If interested you can drop me a line at [email protected] or [email protected]

Plus I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have about the area (where to live, where not to live. . .how to avoid crackheads etc)

Again congratz and welcome to the most frustratingly rewarding 4 years of your life

Hey Guys, congrats on getting into UTMB. I love it here.

I'm posting this message to find a roommate for next year. I"m currently a third year female medical student looking for another female student to be roommates. I own a condo right next to campus (port aux prince - holiday dr.) and want to rent out my extra room. You get your own bathroom with the room and washer/dryer are included. You will also get a parking spot plus some great advice and books from me.

I'm very laid back and come and go quietly. I'll also be doing away rotations and be in and out of the city so the condo is a great place to study and hang out.

Let me know if you are interested. I can send you pics and details.

[email protected] or "Abhilasha Patel" on facebook

thanks,
Abby

Good lord still no word from financial aid?! wtf?! Oh and for those of you at the prematric program, how's it going? I really wanted to go, but due to circumstances couldnt.

hey guys I am looking for a male roommate next year, I will be a msI. I am a easy person so live with, very active and social. Let me know if you need a roommate. I would really love to live with someone next year.

Hi 2012!

I am an MSII with a 2/2 apartment with an in unit washer/dryer, less than 10 minute walk to school, new carpet, gas range stove, on the second floor, with two balconies and free cable. The rent is $450 a month, all bills included except internet. Is anyone still looking for a roommate that would like to come check it out?

Feel free to email me at [email protected] or look me up on facebook.

Thanks!
Casey Watkins

Hey guys! You are going to love UTMB!! There is a series of study guides written by an MD who graduated from UTMB a few years back called What You Need to Know. They are in a question and answer format and since they were written by a former UTMB student they go with your classes really well with page number references to your textbooks. I have the whole set and I am looking to sell them for $50. I paid between 20 and 30 dollars apiece for them so this is definately a deal!
There are 8 books total:
Gross Anatomy and Radiology
Biochemistry
Histology and Cell Bio
Pathology and Immunology
Microbiology
Neuroscience
Psychiatry
Gastrointestinal/Nutrition (the only 2nd year book)

I found them all very helpful especially for PBL cases. The anatomy, neuroscience, and GI books correlate really well with your lectures.

E-mail me or facebook me if you are interested and we can set up a time to meet on campus once you get here! :)

Nicole Laird
[email protected]
soon-to-be MSIII

I was hoping some of the current students could help me out. Do you guys buy all of the recommended books? If not, which ones do you buy? Also how much have you spent on books on each year?

I know the owner's of a 1b/1ba condo available Marina Point for rent asap. The rent is $625 a month w/ water included. PM me if you are interested and I will get in contact with the owners. It is a great place to leave within walking distance to UTMB, and is gated with a pool.

I was hoping some of the current students could help me out. Do you guys buy all of the recommended books? If not, which ones do you buy? Also how much have you spent on books on each year?

No, and don't worry about books till school starts. A lot of people use scribes or board review books as their main source. Some use more texts than others, some of it comes down to the class and how you best study. You will need an atlas (no need to get the newest edition) for gar, and at least access to the "blue boxes" in ECA. Like I said, just wait...if you get a big brother/sister they may give you books, there will be cheap book sales by student orgs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten fin aid info yet? I havent and am to say the least, a bit nervous about not getting it.

Me too. I just signed a lease on a place and I don't even know what kinda money I will get...

I haven't gotten anything either...I called them yesterday, and they said that they couldn't get the portal working so they're just going to email our award letters and she didn't know when they would be out.

thats good to know then that Im not the only one. lol. Whats everyone been doin so far this summer/will you be doin? I saved up money and am doing absolutley nothing productive all summer. My exciting thing will be warped tour. haha

Do you guys know if we have personal UTMB emails yet?

I think only the pre- mat people have them so far...

Can any of you current students/alumni comment on the difficulty in finding a house to rent during the late summer. I have been in contact with a realtor and she wants to wait a while longer to start seriously finding a place. I am looking to rent a 2 or 3 br house near school, but I don't really want to pay rent until I get there in Aug (which is why she wants to wait). Am I going to get burned on this deal/be homeless if I wait any longer?

Can any of you current students/alumni comment on the difficulty in finding a house to rent during the late summer. I have been in contact with a realtor and she wants to wait a while longer to start seriously finding a place. I am looking to rent a 2 or 3 br house near school, but I don't really want to pay rent until I get there in Aug (which is why she wants to wait). Am I going to get burned on this deal/be homeless if I wait any longer?

The advise I could give would be to use craigslist. I just found a 2/1 house to rent off the website and it is much nicer and worth the $ than anything thing I have seen to the island save some of the really really nice lofts around the strand or postoffice. Plus, it is literally next to the beach and like 5 blocks from UTMB. Thanks craigslist! lol

PS there is a galveston craigslist page, but it is brand new and apprently noone uses it yet. So if you want to look on craigslist go to houstons page for apts/housing and do a search for galveston. It will return many more hits than the galveston page. Hope it helps!

By any chance, does anyone know if there is a correlation between MCAT score and honoring classes at UTMB? I know many will say the MCAT doesn't matter, but I would just like to know. Thanx

I got a thing in the ol email about an entrance interview/online quiz thing. Dunno if anyone else did but that means they are atleast starting to get stuff out maybe. Mine went to my bulk mail so check there before deleting

I got a thing in the ol email about an entrance interview/online quiz thing. Dunno if anyone else did but that means they are atleast starting to get stuff out maybe. Mine went to my bulk mail so check there before deleting

When did you get it? all i have in my bulk email is facebook messages.. :laugh: I thought they were supposed to be mailing us more stuff. Has anyone gotten anything or heard anything about it?

Last edited:
I also got an email to complete an "Entrance Interview". It was essentially a loan counseling workshop with a quiz to complete at the end.

I didn't get it....I'm so tired of waiting!

Still no financial aid here....but I did get the second packet by mail! It's not very interesting though.

Ok, so they sent me an award letter...but to approve it, I need an ID and password...anyone else have this problem? Also, are they going to tell us how it all breaks down, and whether or not we need more, like a graduate plus loan or whatever? I've never taken out loans before, so I'm totally confused. I'm going to call them tomorrow and hopefully get it all straightened out. I'm already stressed out and I haven't even started med school yet! :eek:

Dang...straight loans. Last year I had some grants and scholarships to ease the pain.:(

I was hoping they had a better breakdown for us to see as well. Let me know if you find anything out about that. I havent gotten a second packet yet. What was in it? Is everyone gonna take out more than they need just to make sure that they have enough and then take less next year? I dunno what to do...

Has everyone received their financial aid emails? I haven't gotten mine and am starting to get worried!

No I haven't gotten my financial aid yet either...I'm hoping we haven't gotten it yet because we're getting some free $$$ lol ...

The second packet has a bunch of stuff about student organizations but it also has something to let you register for a big sib, and also buy scribes 2011...

I spoke with enrollment services earlier and they said that they may not be done sending out financial aid awards for another month...

Last edited:
I spoke with enrollment services earlier and they said that they may not be done sending out financial aid awards for another month...

Thanks for calling! That's a major relief!

Is anybody planning on going to the AMWA welcome weekend?

Did you guys who received the financial aid emails get two separate emails? One with your username to the financial aid portal and the second with the instructions to the loan interview?

I still have not gotten one about my user id and password. I got one about the loan interview and another that had my actual loan information (i.e., amounts given and such). I did get the second packet in the mail yesterday. It is def just student organizations.

Has anybody else not been able to change their password once they log into the financial aid portal? Weren't those the instructions - that we get a temp. password then change it once we log in?

I've got a 2 bed 2 bath house here in Bayou Vista for rent and finally got a price quote from my rental agency (see my previous post for more details)

1/1 up,1/1 down and you're living on the water

Asking $1350

Would make a great place for 2 students to go into together. Or a couple with a roomate downstairs.

[email protected]

anyone one (females) looking for a roommate??

So has anyone here still gotten nothing about financial aid. I haven't even received my financial aid portal login information yet. I'm getting more and more nervous about this.

So has anyone here still gotten nothing about financial aid. I haven't even received my financial aid portal login information yet. I'm getting more and more nervous about this.

I had to call enrollment services and they gave me the log-in name for the financial aid portal and then you have to call some other number for the password. But, if you call them I bet they can help you out.

Did anyone file that additional form to be considered for grants/scholarships? Apprently, I didn't and wasn't considered...

I filled it out and was not given any grants or scholarships. Im not too worried about it though. I got my portal info after I got my fin aid packet/info so dont stress just yet

Ok, so I just got off the phone with Enrollment Services, because I was told that I received a scholarship back in January, and it wasn't showing up on the award letter. They said that this is because they haven't received the list of scholarships from the School of Medicine yet...which may mean, that there might be some free money for us out there still! Hopefully we get lucky. :luck:

This is from one of my classmates/friends:

My name is Joe Karam and I’m an upcoming fourth year medical student at UTMB. I have a room available in a house located about ½ of a mile from UTMB (a 3 minute bike ride to be exact). A month ago, Natalie (a first year) moved out leaving one room available (any questions about the living condition and her opinion of the place, contact her at [email protected]). I live with two other fourth year medical students, one male and one female. I would prefer a female roommate move into this room because girls are generally cleaner than guys (no offense dudes, but its true). More often than not, we are clean, quiet and study oriented and occasionally we throw parties (Christmas/Halloween/end-of-exam parties).
The house is 2-story, 2,500 square-foot, 4 bedroom/4 bathroom, large kitchen, new wine room, tons of living space downstairs, full washer and dryer, wireless internet, Cable with HBO and central AC/heat and ceiling fans in every room. The situation is ALL BILLS PAID.
Pros: It would be good to live with upperclassmen because we’ve been through what you are about to go through, and we’ve got some good advice and study-tips. Also, we have all the books you may or may not want to buy, so you don’t have to spend tons of mullah every 2 months at the book store. Also, I completely renovated the house when I bought it in 2006, so it’s got BRAND NEW plumbing, electricity, roof, A/C/heat, washer/dryer, water heater and dishwasher, refrigerator, and wine room (just finished the installation about 2 days ago).
Cons: It’s a bummer that you won’t get to take care of the electricity, gas, water and cable bills on your own (for that, I’m sorry). Also, we’re pretty friendly, so we might give you the false sense that everyone is as friendly as we are. Don’t be mistaken, there are bad people out there in the world.

If anyone is interested, you can e-mail me at [email protected], or you can call me at 210-274-9369. I can give you more information and plenty of pictures of the place.