<<<UTMB Class of 2012!!!>>>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone filled out their fafsa yet?

apartment hunting??

Doing my FASFA now and going to look at places in Galveston next weekend. Where all would anyone recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I'll be joining y'all at UTMB next year!

Accepted back in November, but I tend to live in my own little world so I didn't know about sdn until a day ago. I read all of your posts and I'm excited about next year too. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I'm at A&M right now, so if there are any Ags out there you can facebook me: http://tamu.facebook.com/profile.php?id=8355185. We can meet at The Chicken and celebrate acceptances with a pitcher...

I went to look at apartments over Christmas break. The one I liked the most was Carelton Courtyard -- there wasn't a waiting list yet, but the leasing lady said that it usually starts filling up around March. This place was gated and didn't look very sketchy - close to campus. :)

Hi Schmerbs, I'm in CS too :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been looking at apartments online..just to give me an idea of some of the things that are available..... i've been looking @ 2bed/2bath with washer dryer connection. I already have a roommate (we actually went to high school together) and we want to go look at apartments together, so we're waiting until we both have some time to go down there...which i hope is by the end of this month.... i'm pretty sure alot of people will be down there during spring break

I chose Villa Marina. I'm getting a 1b/1br with a study room. Loved these apartments when i visited them. I went through a realtor named Philip Helgren. His girlfriend is a current MS1, so he knows what's popular for medical students. His number is 409-599-3990. He was a really cool guy to work with and showed me a lot of places.

Villa Marina and Carelton Courtyards are both very close to campus. I have friends who live in each. Carelton Courtyards is maybe a ten minute walk to campus, and Villa Marina about 15 min walk (much shorter bike ride). I have never been inside Carelton Courtyards, but my friend there never had any complaints. I have been inside Villa Marina, and that apartment looked very nice -mostly because of his new furniture, but they did put new carpet in for him. The kitchen and bathroom did have old, cheap fixtures though. The outside was nice with bricks and a clean landscape, plus there is a little cover over your parking spot.

For apt complexes on the east side of the island, especially the "big 3"...Carleton Courtyard, Villa Marina, and Casa Caribe, I'd recommend getting on the waitlist before spring break.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to stop by and say hi! I am sooooo excited about starting school this fall and meeting you all! :biglove:

I noticed that people are recommending the big 3, but how about apts further away from campus around 61st street?

As far as parking goes, does anyone know if there's a waitlist for it or how to get on it?

Parking - you will receive a sheet in your "big mailing" or the one they do towards May that asks you to send in a check to get student parking. There is also a waiting list for rooftop garage parking -- I was put on the wait list for the garage soon after receiving the mailing and I have been enjoying my rooftop parking since mid-October. The student parking spaces fill super quick and sometimes flood. I recommend the rooftop waiting list. I don't remember how much the student parking is (maybe 30-40 bucks -- and the garage was 90 for the remainder of the year)

Good luck and welcome!

Jetpuff - Broadwater apts. on 61st are really nice. There are a couple complexes right there -- but be careful because they are almost on Seawall and right next door to the big Walmart. More shady people walking about... However the complexes are gated.

I think the aggies should get together for a beer or two to meet everyone. Anyone else game?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm game. This week kind of sucks, but next week is good. We could do Monday night at O'Bannon's...it's $2 you-call-ems (mmm, patron...), or $2 Iced Teas on Tuesday at Mad Hatters, or Thursday at Fox and Hound for $2 pint night.

I tend to follow the drink specials wherever they go... :)

Or anything else works too, if we actually want to go to The Chicken or elsewhere.

Hey guys! Im pretty sure I will be joining yall in August. My boyfriend and i are going down at the end of this month to look at apartments. I was wondering if I could get the current students opinion on The Park at Cedar Lawn (4400 Nth Street). Is this a bad area, does anyone know this complex? It just seems like its a good deal for the size and I like how close it its to broadway. (My boyfriend will be leaving the island for work so I wanted to be halfway between the causeway and the school.) THanks!
Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

How about we get some of this action on at UT. How's a Tuesday night at Cain & Abel's for dollar domestics one of these weeks?

Anyone at UTSA, IWA, St. Marys, or Trinity? San Antonio area?

Does anyone know exactly when most students recieve their loan checks? About how long before class starts will we be recieving it? Thanx

Does anyone know exactly when most students recieve their loan checks? About how long before class starts will we be recieving it? Thanx

My FA was disbursed Aug. 22.

myKuduSlewaZulu, I have a queston for you or any other current students at UTMB. I am coming up to Galveston on Friday and wanted to go by the financial aid and student services offices.

What are some important things about financial aid I should ask about while I'm there?

And is there anything you wish you had asked or known about earlier when you started at UTMB?

Thanks guys! I just want to make this trip as efficient as possible. Very excited to start in the fall!

DrMc --
I'm a current MS1 at UTMB and saw your post-- there really isn't anything you need to know or do concerning financial aid besides filling out the FAFSA and including UTMB on the school list. They won't even start messing with your stuff for quite a while even after they receive it. The information you need will be included in the mailing you receive in a few weeks. The typical loan package for a single student planning to live off campus is ~34k but it may go up a little bit for you guys. It is plenty of cash for anything you may need. They direct deposit approx. 1 week before classes begin and you get half the amount minus first semester tuition. The rest will be deposited in January. They do not fund you for summer after first year (May 1- end of June).

As for student services, once again there really isn't anything you need from them. I would recommend waiting for the mailing -- anything you need to know will be in it. There will also be another mailing closer to summer with additional info. You can look on the student wellness website if you really want to get starter on your immunizations early if you don't already have them. They will require records or titers for all of them.

Things I wish I would have known/listened to:
- don't buy books; 2nd yrs will give or sell you all of theirs if they bought them. they are virtually not needed. i bought a few review books, Netters, and Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease and I've been fine
- buy scribes; they are a must (you will get more info in your mailing)
- mac is compatible with virtually everything (except one cd in GAR)
- have a lightweight laptop that you can bring to lecture and PBL (virtual must-have for PBL and they don't care what kind, its probably 50/50 for mac vs. pc)
- get used to WebCT -- all of your lecture powerpoints will be posted on there
- bring/buy a very strong, large umbrella (gulf winds are ferocious when it rains and every umbrella snaps)
- you have wayyyyy more free time than everyone at the other schools
- Drs. Miller and Collins "the GAR twins" are the coolest people you will ever meet
- double glove in GAR lab
- scrubs are free on the ground floor of John Sealy Hospital
- don't study too much and have fun with it!

DrMc --
I'm a current MS1 at UTMB and saw your post-- there really isn't anything you need to know or do concerning financial aid besides filling out the FAFSA and including UTMB on the school list. They won't even start messing with your stuff for quite a while even after they receive it. The information you need will be included in the mailing you receive in a few weeks. The typical loan package for a single student planning to live off campus is ~34k but it may go up a little bit for you guys. It is plenty of cash for anything you may need. They direct deposit approx. 1 week before classes begin and you get half the amount minus first semester tuition. The rest will be deposited in January. They do not fund you for summer after first year (May 1- end of June).

As for student services, once again there really isn't anything you need from them. I would recommend waiting for the mailing -- anything you need to know will be in it. There will also be another mailing closer to summer with additional info. You can look on the student wellness website if you really want to get starter on your immunizations early if you don't already have them. They will require records or titers for all of them.

Things I wish I would have known/listened to:
- don't buy books; 2nd yrs will give or sell you all of theirs if they bought them. they are virtually not needed. i bought a few review books, Netters, and Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease and I've been fine
- buy scribes; they are a must (you will get more info in your mailing)
- mac is compatible with virtually everything (except one cd in GAR)
- have a lightweight laptop that you can bring to lecture and PBL (virtual must-have for PBL and they don't care what kind, its probably 50/50 for mac vs. pc)
- get used to WebCT -- all of your lecture powerpoints will be posted on there
- bring/buy a very strong, large umbrella (gulf winds are ferocious when it rains and every umbrella snaps)
- you have wayyyyy more free time than everyone at the other schools
- Drs. Miller and Collins "the GAR twins" are the coolest people you will ever meet
- double glove in GAR lab
- scrubs are free on the ground floor of John Sealy Hospital
- don't study too much and have fun with it!

Hey thanks for the info! It makes me feel much more relaxed about starting in Aug!

On another note, I am currently looking at apts/condos for move in at the beginning of aug. I would like something as close to campus as possible but my girlfriend will be going to the community college on the other side of the island. With this in mind we are looking at the Park at Cedar Lawn apts. I was wondering if any of yall have any positive or negative comments on the complex. thanks

hey, I work at Brackenridge in Austin. Today I was talking to one of the doctors (a pediatric plastic surgeon) and he told me that UTMB was pretty much going to be phased out of Austin within the year. This was not the first person I heard this from either. Can anyone that knows any more about it, make any comments on it?

Hey thanks for the info! It makes me feel much more relaxed about starting in Aug!

On another note, I am currently looking at apts/condos for move in at the beginning of aug. I would like something as close to campus as possible but my girlfriend will be going to the community college on the other side of the island. With this in mind we are looking at the Park at Cedar Lawn apts. I was wondering if any of yall have any positive or negative comments on the complex. thanks

I've heard of a few students living at that complex, but I don't know jack about it haha...sorry.

I would second pretty much everything liltxcatmd said. Don't feel that you have to have a laptop for pbl (I did fine without one), but it certainly is very useful. FA gives you the option of $3,000 extra aid for a computer either lump sum or spread over your tenure here. Also, you'll need an anatomy atlas, but you don't need a current edition.

I think we got 3 "big envelope" mailings from UTMB...the first in March. It'll have lots of stuff including your TDCJ clearance forms. Don't forget that they need your parent's financial info to consider you for institutional awards....and to get all that completed asap.

hey, I work at Brackenridge in Austin. Today I was talking to one of the doctors (a pediatric plastic surgeon) and he told me that UTMB was pretty much going to be phased out of Austin within the year. This was not the first person I heard this from either. Can anyone that knows any more about it, make any comments on it?

Haven't heard about it, but that doesn't mean much haha. Who would take over the residency programs there? That would be a drastic change since they've been ramping up student rotations and spending money there. You know, I just remember reading something in the psych forum not long ago by a someone who int'd there...I think they said something similar. Maybe it only applies to residencies...although they just acquired them for goodness sakes. I wonder what's going on....

EDIT: F*ck. Here's what I was able to find...seems like a lot of drama and confusion, but make what you will of this..

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/02/13/0213medschool.html?cxntlid=inform
http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/02/12/0212medschool.html?cxntlid=inform

Haven't heard about it, but that doesn't mean much haha. Who would take over the residency programs there? That would be a drastic change since they've been ramping up student rotations and spending money there. You know, I just remember reading something in the psych forum not long ago by a someone who int'd there...I think they said something similar. Maybe it only applies to residencies...although they just acquired them for goodness sakes. I wonder what's going on....

EDIT: F*ck. Here's what I was able to find...seems like a lot of drama and confusion, but make what you will of this...

Ya that pretty much sums up what i have heard from several people....what the hell are they going to do w/ us?

According to official statement from UTMB -- UTMB students will still be in Austin. The residency programs aren't changing and students still have the option of 3rd and 4th year there. The Southwestern associated school would only take in 50 students per year which will not hurt UTMB students that much. Also -- the board of regents still has to approve this. They won't start talking about it for another 6months ---- and you know how long it took the El Paso school to get started? A LONG time.... anyone at UTMB or starting soon will not have to worry about anything because the school won't be ready, won't start for a while, and then won't have clinical students for a 2 years after that... No worries guys!

happy valentine's day everyone! :biglove:

:D

Apartments - I'd recommend Carelton Courtyard or the Villa Marina. Both are good. I live in Carelton Courtyard and some good things include: maintenance people are awesome, if something needs fixed it gets fixed that day or next. And it has good sound insulation. I've never heard my neighbors tv or anything else. So good after living in cheap apts in west campus where I had to watch tv when my neighbors were. They put down new carpet for new leasers. So clean. Love Carelton Courtyard.

Villa - Has utilities like electricity included in rent. Really good.

Books: As said above, you won't need all the books required or recommended. But, there are some books for first year I think should be bought, including Bates Guide to Physical Exam, Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease, Devlin Biochemistry (I like Lehninger Principles of Biochem better), Netters Anatomy, Essential Clinical Anatomy, and the corresponding review books. For second year the review books for courses like cardio, renal, etc. I feel are sufficient along with scribes. Also, go ahead and buy First Aid for Step1. As you go through your courses, read the corresponding parts in First Aid.

Laptops - Not required, but I think it's in your best interest to buy one. PC or Mac. Some of my classmates who attend class bring their laptop, open the powerpoint presentation, and just jot down minor notes...ie it's not necessary to write down everything, you already have scribes. Also there is online microscopy for the labs you can bring up on your laptop while sitting in the lab.

I'll add one more thing -- don't buy the Devlin biochem book. They aren't even really assigning readings out of it anymore. Lippincott's Illustrated Biochem is sufficient.
Here is the list of stuff I bought:
For GAR - Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy, Netter's, Netter flashcards, BRS Anatomy
MCT - Lippincotts Biochem, BRS Embryology, and Genetics in Medicine (only because I was interested in the topic), Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease
PHD - Robbins is the main book used, Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
POM - buy Bates because they say you have to... most people don't really read it though - skimming is perfectly fine.

Hello everyone! I can't wait for medical school. Physical Chemistry sux!

Anyone a jogger? Is there a track group?

Ok I'm going to go ahead and say it

WE ARE AWESOME!

For apt complexes on the east side of the island, especially the "big 3"...Carleton Courtyard, Villa Marina, and Casa Caribe, I'd recommend getting on the waitlist before spring break.

I lived in Carleton Courtyard for a few years. It was okay -- nothing special. The management was fairly nice (at least the newer set that came in a few months before my lease ended) and generally fixed problems within a day or so. I was bit envious of my friends in Villa Marina - it seemed a bit nicer. Either way you close to everything -- and the track & field is right outside your front door. I don't know much about Casa Caribe though...

Just thought I'd add my 2 centavos.

Hey guys! I am so excited about going to UTMB. Does anybody know if there the school has an organized function for us to meet each other before school starts? I know there is something the week before school starts, but do I really have to wait until August to meet all of you? LOL!:D

Hey guys! I am so excited about going to UTMB. Does anybody know if there the school has an organized function for us to meet each other before school starts? I know there is something the week before school starts, but do I really have to wait until August to meet all of you? LOL!:D

Nope. Closest thing is the Prematriculation program in late May through June.

all u guys in frats,

when is a good time to come look at them? how does one set up living in a frat? i think thats what i wanna do...thanks

check your PM, anytime is a good time to come check out the fraternities. Shoot them an email and go meet with them, it is almost a must to find out where you would fit the best. Also the sooner the better if you want to live in the house because rooms get filled up

Woo!!! Email! :D Who else got warm and fuzzy seeing "UTMB Galveston" in their Email inbox again? :p

Thank God too... I was beginning to feel like I had missed out on something

TKY is hosting a Friday Night cook out this FRIDAY Feb 28th 6 PM-?... This will be an awesome opportunity to come an meet all the guys in the fraternity. We are located on 515 Post Office Rd, right next to the bank, Arlans Store, and Whataberger. Come out and see for yourself what TKY is all about!!!

Does anyone know the address to which one's undergraduate transcripts should be sent to? I know I'm cutting it short, but it shouldn't be a problem. Thanx

Does anyone know the address to which one's undergraduate transcripts should be sent to? I know I'm cutting it short, but it shouldn't be a problem. Thanx

The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Office of Enrollment Services
301 University Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77555-1305

Are we supposed to send in transcripts after we finish all of our classes? Do they want an incomplete one now if we are still in school?

I was asking for the fall transcripts. The deadline is 3/03/08.