UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, hows everyone doing? I posted on here for a while, because I have been real busy with my new job that I got. I am now a fitness instructor at a local gym which is great because it gets me into a gym five days a week, and I now have no excuse not to workout. It also let me use some of my knowledge from my exercise science degree, which I thought I was never going to be able to use.

Well, I dont really have anything else. I just wanted to see how everyone is doing, can't wait to see you all at the welcome weekend!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
sweet.
how many of you on here have signed up for the premat program?

I didn't although its sounds really cool.

I hope I get a nice Big Sib too!

I didn't sign up for the Pre-Mat program, but I'm asking myself if I should.

I would like to know if any of the med students have any insight into how useful and effective the Pre-Mat program is.

I'm really hoping I get a great Big Sib as well!

So, how bout them Spurs? I think they've got ten straight wins going into tonight's game. There always seems to be a switch that's turned on after the All-Star Break with this team.

Go Spurs Go!

I did the pre-mat program. We were the first ones through the new program. At the time it was mostly for folks who were non-trads out from school for a while (that was me), or other folks with non-science background (me 2).

There were ~30 of us and most of us showed up pretty much for both the two weeks. It's a good way to make some friends, I thought. They try to give you an introduction to the various classes for MS1's first module. The quality of each instructor depends on who is teaching (they were mostly MS2's/MS4s). Don't go in there and expect to learn everything you need for the first module. It's just meant as a bridge for those that have been out for a while - help them get adjusted and such. Is it absolutely essential that everyone sign up? No. It boils down to this: would you rather have two more weeks vacation or begin an early transition (if you feel you need the extra time/help).
In other news - spring break is next week!!! :love:

I did the pre-mat program. We were the first ones through the new program. At the time it was mostly for folks who were non-trads out from school for a while (that was me), or other folks with non-science background (me 2).

There were ~30 of us and most of us showed up pretty much for both the two weeks. It's a good way to make some friends, I thought. They try to give you an introduction to the various classes for MS1's first module. The quality of each instructor depends on who is teaching (they were mostly MS2's/MS4s). Don't go in there and expect to learn everything you need for the first module. It's just meant as a bridge for those that have been out for a while - help them get adjusted and such. Is it absolutely essential that everyone sign up? No. It boils down to this: would you rather have two more weeks vacation or begin an early transition (if you feel you need the extra time/help).
In other news - spring break is next week!!! :love:

Thanks Twitch! I'm stoked about spring break. No Biochem for a week! Sadly, work doesn't have such perks -- but it's research. Cells must be split, mice must be maintained.

Hey guys, hows everyone doing? I posted on here for a while, because I have been real busy with my new job that I got. I am now a fitness instructor at a local gym which is great because it gets me into a gym five days a week, and I now have no excuse not to workout. It also let me use some of my knowledge from my exercise science degree, which I thought I was never going to be able to use.

Well, I dont really have anything else. I just wanted to see how everyone is doing, can't wait to see you all at the welcome weekend!

I workout religiously...I got a new workout buddy?? ;)

I workout religiously...I got a new workout buddy?? ;)

Absolutely...I wonder when that new rec center is going to be finished? If its not done by the time we start I guess I am going to have to get a membership at Golds gym or something.

Absolutely...I wonder when that new rec center is going to be finished? If its not done by the time we start I guess I am going to have to get a membership at Golds gym or something.

I was in the student life (I think that's how they refer to themselves?) office about a month ago and the woman with whom I was speaking (not sure on her name) said late fall of '08. Hope they have a heated pool so I can swim some laps.

I was in the student life (I think that's how they refer to themselves?) office about a month ago and the woman with whom I was speaking (not sure on her name) said late fall of '08. Hope they have a heated pool so I can swim some laps.

I would take that info with a grain of salt. There hasn't even been a ground breaking ceremony yet and no visible efforts in terms of starting the construction, etc. I would be surprised if they get it completed and open by Fall '08 but I'm still secretly keeping my fingers crossed.

I would take that info with a grain of salt. There hasn't even been a ground breaking ceremony yet and no visible efforts in terms of starting the construction, etc. I would be surprised if they get it completed and open by Fall '08 but I'm still secretly keeping my fingers crossed.

Noted. She mentioned that they were hoping to break ground this spring, but I was a little dubious as to whether something like that could be completed in 6-8 months.

ergh,
I know this is quite a stretch, but I recently moved out on my own, and I am also on my own financially for the first time in my life. I have a terrible low-pay job, and no health/dental insurance, and of course I am 22 and need my wisdom teeth out as soon as possible so they don't continue to wreck with my jaw. Do any students know of any possible discounts that I could get from the dental school? Or even if you happen to have general advice. I am paying out of pocket naturally, and even the highly discounted price for oral surgery at Colorado School of Dentistry (still performed by an oral surgeon) is around 1200. Thanks for any advice/ideas/help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad :)
ergh,
I know this is quite a stretch, but I recently moved out on my own, and I am also on my own financially for the first time in my life. I have a terrible low-pay job, and no health/dental insurance, and of course I am 22 and need my wisdom teeth out as soon as possible so they don't continue to wreck with my jaw. Do any students know of any possible discounts that I could get from the dental school? Or even if you happen to have general advice. I am paying out of pocket naturally, and even the highly discounted price for oral surgery at Colorado School of Dentistry (still performed by an oral surgeon) is around 1200. Thanks for any advice/ideas/help you can provide.

In Austin you can get your wisdom teeth removed by SciRex, but they are really specific about who they want. I was in the process of getting mine done. It's performed by a real oral surgeon, of course. They are just doing clinical studies on pain medication. I was going to be paid an additional $200, but I had another health issue that came up on the day of my surgery, so I didn't get to do it.

here is a website I found by googling it: http://www.premier-research.com/eng_study_Wisdom_Teeth_FAQ.aspx

Edit: In the FAQ it says something about only getting 2 teeth removed. I just wanted to tell you that the one I was doing was for all 4 teeth

Well, I have not been around for a couple of weeks but is really good to see this thread moving! Do you guys think the admission committee will mind that I won’t be able to get my last HepB shot before school starts? I couldn’t find the record anywhere and I’m not even sure if I had those when I was born (Long time Ago and out of the country)... Well, I’m planning on stopping by the health department tomorrow afternoon and spend the precious money I desperately need

Well, I have not been around for a couple of weeks but is really good to see this thread moving! Do you guys think the admission committee will mind that I won’t be able to get my last HepB shot before school starts? I couldn’t find the record anywhere and I’m not even sure if I had those when I was born (Long time Ago and out of the country)... Well, I’m planning on stopping by the health department tomorrow afternoon and spend the precious money I desperately need

Is it that you won't be able to complete your HepB series shot or you won't be able to start the shot series before school starts? I know people were not able to complete the series before school started but if you showed you started the series on your shot records, it was ok. By not having your shots completed, there will be a hold on your record. If there is a hold, the registrar's office will not register you for your classes and then you can't pay your bill which needs to be settled by the 1st day of class.

Is it that you won't be able to complete your HepB series shot or you won't be able to start the shot series before school starts? I know people were not able to complete the series before school started but if you showed you started the series on your shot records, it was ok. By not having your shots completed, there will be a hold on your record. If there is a hold, the registrar's office will not register you for your classes and then you can't pay your bill which needs to be settled by the 1st day of class.

Thanks a lot, I won’t be able to complete the shots, if I start today, and the next on the following month, my last shot will be on Sep. I guess I better start on this ASAP!

Thanks a lot, I won’t be able to complete the shots, if I start today, and the next on the following month, my last shot will be on Sep. I guess I better start on this ASAP!

I might also recommend either calling or enclosing a note with your shot records when you send it in saying you'll be completing the shot series after school has started given the timeline of the shot series and when you started.

I might also recommend either calling or enclosing a note with your shot records when you send it in saying you'll be completing the shot series after school has started given the timeline of the shot series and when you started.

Also, I think you have to send in the immunization records w/ the Certificate of Immunization form. You can google it and it should come up. I sent a copy of my records w/ the signature page/C of I form.

What's everyone else up to these days (MS0's, 1's,...)?

Today, I heard my babies heartbeat for the first time! That was pretty amazing...:D

Today, I heard my babies heartbeat for the first time! That was pretty amazing...:D

How fabulous!! One of my friends in our class is pregnant with TWINS!! I can't wait to have kids one day.

Awesome! I remember exactly what that felt like... I cried like a 12 year-old girl :).

I haven't been up to much lately, although my wife and I just decided today (for sure) that we're coming to SA. We're doing some house hunting this weekend after finally selling our place yesterday and hope to have a contract on something in close proximity to the Medical Center this time next week!

I'm soooo stoked about starting school in July!! Anyone else doing the premat?

a good buddy of mine is selling his house located within 5 minutes of the med center - PM me if any of you are interested

Awesome! I remember exactly what that felt like... I cried like a 12 year-old girl :).

I haven't been up to much lately, although my wife and I just decided today (for sure) that we're coming to SA. We're doing some house hunting this weekend after finally selling our place yesterday and hope to have a contract on something in close proximity to the Medical Center this time next week!

Hahaha.. i felt a bit choked up myself!

Blessings on the house hunt. Let us know how that turns out.

EVERYONE CHECK YOUR MAIL. I received registration info today!!! :hardy:

That's awesome.

I applied! I am/was an English major, so I'm kind of worried about my lack of bio. But I'm sure it will be ok.

I will also be in SA this weekend for that very reason! I already have my eye on one place, so hopefully it works out.

Hahaha.. i felt a bit choked up myself!

Blessings on the house hunt. Let us know how that turns out.

EVERYONE CHECK YOUR MAIL. I received registration info today!!! :hardy:

AHH. I'm not home, so I have to wait another whole day before I get my packet. :rolleyes:

So the ground breaking hasn't even happened yet? Does anyone know if there are any student dicounts in the area for gyms until it opens.

So the ground breaking hasn't even happened yet? Does anyone know if there are any student dicounts in the area for gyms until it opens.

Gold's Gym has a student discount. This is the breakdown when I signed up about a year ago. Membership is about $30/mo. You sign a one year contract and after that it's on a month to month basis. You have to pay first and last month's membership upfront along with a deposit. The total you pay when you sign a contract is about $135.

I applied! I am/was an English major, so I'm kind of worried about my lack of bio. But I'm sure it will be ok.

I will also be in SA this weekend for that very reason! I already have my eye on one place, so hopefully it works out.

I wouldn't worry too much. There were plenty of people in our class who were not science majors and are doing just fine if not great.

I am sure many of you are already be aware of this but we will have access to the Bluff Creek Fitness Center as well as the fitness room in the Dental School until the new fitness center is built. While neither have everything one would desire in a comprehensive fitness center, they may serve many people's needs while the new gym is being built.

That's awesome.

How fabulous!! One of my friends in our class is pregnant with TWINS!! I can't wait to have kids one day.

Thanks! I'm super excited as is my wife. Our parents are through the roof and glad we'll be getting back to the great state of Texas!

dtrainer -- is there a fee for using Dental School or Bluff Creek? If so, do you know about how much?

dtrainer -- is there a fee for using Dental School or Bluff Creek? If so, do you know about how much?

This is my understanding regarding the fees and the fitness facilities. In the fall of 2007 the students at UTHSCSA voted to fund the construction of a new fitness center through the increase in student fees (an increase of around $400 a year.) It is my understanding that current students are being charged the increased fee even though there is no fitness center for them to use. As a compromise, students are now allowed to use the Bluff Creek Fitness Center until the new fitness center is built.

So, to answer your question- no you won't have to pay anything extra beyond the fees you are already required to pay.

This is my understanding regarding the fees and the fitness facilities. In the fall of 2007 the students at UTHSCSA voted to fund the construction of a new fitness center through the increase in student fees (an increase of around $400 a year.) It is my understanding that current students are being charged the increased fee even though there is no fitness center for them to use. As a compromise, students are now allowed to use the Bluff Creek Fitness Center until the new fitness center is built.

So, to answer your question- no you won't have to pay anything extra beyond the fees you are already required to pay.

The Bluff Creek Fitness Center was free to use for students even before there was a vote to increase fees for the new fitness center. The small fitness room in the dental school has always been opened for use for anyone with a UTHSCSA ID.

The Bluff Creek Fitness Center was free to use for students even before there was a vote to increase fees for the new fitness center. The small fitness room in the dental school has always been opened for use for anyone with a UTHSCSA ID.

I stand corrected.

thanks for all that info guys...I guess Im just going to have to wait till I see it before I decide whether to get a membership at Gold's or not.

So was eveyone else just as excited as me to finally get the registration info packet?

thanks for all that info guys...I guess Im just going to have to wait till I see it before I decide whether to get a membership at Gold's or not.

So was eveyone else just as excited as me to finally get the registration info packet?

Absolutely! It was like receiving a golden ticket from Mr. Wonka himself...

We even had email already.... :love:

Hey guys, I finally received a package from the registrar!!! It was about time! I guess I better start working on it as soon as possible! I need to get my financial aid all work out pretty soon...

Hey guys, I finally received a package from the registrar!!! It was about time! I guess I better start working on it as soon as possible! I need to get my financial aid all work out pretty soon...

I've got all my FAFSA done.

Any current students want to post what the total need for last years was and how the breakdown came to be for loans???
I sure wish we weren't waiting until April to find out about financial aid stuff.

I've got all my FAFSA done.

Any current students want to post what the total need for last years was and how the breakdown came to be for loans???
I sure wish we weren't waiting until April to find out about financial aid stuff.

Not a current student, but I've spoken with John Strieb (super helpful financial aid guru) in the financial aid office and he thought that the total need might be in the neighborhood of $39,000-40,000 this year.

Not a current student, but I've spoken with John Strieb (super helpful financial aid guru) in the financial aid office and he thought that the total need might be in the neighborhood of $39,000-40,000 this year.

Do you know when in April we will find out by any chance?

PS, I am officially going to Europe this summer! My boyfriend's dad had enough frequent flier miles to cover both of our tickets. I'm soooo excited.

PS, I am officially going to Europe this summer! My boyfriend's dad had enough frequent flier miles to cover both of our tickets. I'm soooo excited.

Not certain. I heard approximately 4/15 several weeks ago, but who knows?

Nice. Whereabouts will you be? Maybe my hometown or place or birth....

Nice. Whereabouts will you be? Maybe my hometown or place or birth....

Germany, Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. Mostly the first and last, though.

Where are you from??

Depending on your goals, I've got my eye on this...
http://www.maximum-fitness.org/

But I'm a little insane too. :)

So I checked out that website and I got to say that it looks like a place that would give you a bad *** workout. Sometimes its fun to go to the rundown gyms, they always seem to have the most harcore people in them...plus I think flipping tires sounds like a lot of fun!

Germany, Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. Mostly the first and last, though.

Where are you from??

Awesome! Born in Germany and started school there. I've never been to Hungary but would like to at some point.

How long will you two be in Europe?

Hungary is amazing, Budapest was one of the most beautiful and fun cities that I have ever been too, and if you are single the country has some of the most gorgeous women that I have ever seen.

Haha. Well I have heard the same argument for Czech women, but I may be biased, being from a Czech family.

Drumdoc, we are going for a little over 2 weeks. We are going to fly in to Germany and make a circle around. I am excited because I speak German somewhat, and a little bit of Czech and I can't wait to test out my speaking skills.

We have a friend in Budapest that we are going to visit and something like half of my Czech class (currently taking czech at uni) will be in Prague. It should be fun.

Drumdoc, sprechen Sie deutsch?

Just in case anyone needs more specific information I talked to John Strieb a couple of days ago and he said the need actually went down this year...

These are the numbers he gave me

room and board - $15,984
travel - $3,998
tuition and fees - $13,380
books - $1,836
misc. - $2,298

Total need - 37,566

and all of this is based on a 10 month school year.

Just in case anyone needs more specific information I talked to John Strieb a couple of days ago and he said the need actually went down this year...

These are the numbers he gave me

room and board - $15,984
travel - $3,998
tuition and fees - $13,380
books - $1,836
misc. - $2,298

Total need - 37,566

and all of this is based on a 10 month school year.

I spoke with him in January... I guess before the numbers had been established. Thanks for the correct info!