UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm about to fill it out, too. Did you find anything out about it that they didn't tell us in the email?

Only that they were able to accomodate all the students who applied last year.

Edit: This thread's really shakin'... 4 pages already!!

Members don't see this ad.

Only that they were able to accomodate all the students who applied last year.

Edit: This thread's really shakin'... 4 pages already!!

sweet.

by the way, i don't know if anyone noticed, but the admissions page has changed and has this info:

The medical school match this past February 1 was a great success for our medical school. Outstanding students were selected into a class of 220. The grade point average of the accepted class was 3.6 and the average MCAT, 29.

agreed. this thread is really moving...

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom of page 1 my #ss!! Bump!

Hi everyone, welcome to UTHSCSA and congratulations! I'm just finishing my fourth year - please feel free to contact me with any questions via private message or in the open forum. If anyone is looking for housing in the med center we are selling our condo, here is a link to the ad if interested:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=496808

I'm sure you will enjoy your time here as I did, good luck!

how many of you guys are taking someone (gf, bf, wife, husband, parent, etc) to the welcome weekend??

how many of you guys are taking someone (gf, bf, wife, husband, parent, etc) to the welcome weekend??

i am, but i feel bad for having to choose between my parents. can you only bring one? maybe i should just bring my bf..

Unfortunately I am going to be flying solo this weekend. The wife cannot make it in. Oh well, I guess I am just going to have to enjoy free beer and good company by myself!

I just saw one of those first-time home buyer shows on HGtV where a couple bought this gorgeous 3 bdr - 2 bath in San Antonio for about 100k! I couldn't tell if they lived near the med center or not but regardless... I love SA!

This is getting way to close to the bottom of the page so to the top we go!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just saw one of those first-time home buyer shows on HGtV where a couple bought this gorgeous 3 bdr - 2 bath in San Antonio for about 100k! I couldn't tell if they lived near the med center or not but regardless... I love SA!

Probably not :(. I've been looking around and they seem a bit more expensive than that around the med center.

i've been looking at alot of properties but am more interested in renting rather than owning, and I've been surprised at how low some of the monthly leases are around the medical center.

Hi everyone,

I am still undecided at this point, although the comaraderie here is very convincing, I am still waiting on my state school. Anyhoo, can anyone please tell me when the deadline is for OOS to make the final decision on a school? is it May 15th? sorry I know it is an obvious question but I'm being thrown off by all you in-staters. Thanks!

Afterthought: Could a current med student or alumni please complete the 31 questions in the sticky for UTHSCSA? Thank you very much!

Hi everyone,

I am still undecided at this point, although the comaraderie here is very convincing, I am still waiting on my state school. Anyhoo, can anyone please tell me when the deadline is for OOS to make the final decision on a school? is it May 15th? sorry I know it is an obvious question but I'm being thrown off by all you in-staters. Thanks!

Ambrosha, welcome to the thread!

I don't know what the final notification date is, but according to the view book ( which can be found here ) it says that applicants have two weeks to respond to the offer by sending the Letter of Intent. This seems to suggest that you have until July, as it is listed under the month of July "Registration & Orientation". That sounds awfully late to me, so I would call admissions to confirm whether that is true. I have May in the back of my mind as well -- but I'm not quite sure.

Where's in-state for you? Blessings on deciding where you want to go! :luck:

Afterthought: Could a current med student or alumni please complete the 31 questions in the sticky for UTHSCSA? Thank you very much!

Where is this sticky of which you speak? I'm not an alumn or anything.. just curious...

Probably not :(. I've been looking around and they seem a bit more expensive than that around the med center.

Are you doing internet searches or going in person w/ realtor and all? I've found some decently priced homes in the 78240 area code and a few others I can't recall off hand.

Are you doing internet searches or going in person w/ realtor and all? I've found some decently priced homes in the 78240 area code and a few others I can't recall off hand.

I've done a little of both. I had one realtor send me a list of all properties in "area 4" (med school area) of San Antonio under $120,000. There is stuff out there, but everything under 100,000 is hit or miss, from what I see. There are a few gems. I think for that price, condos seem to be a lot nicer for the money. I've seen some really good ones around 90,000 and even below.

But, I really wish I could find a 2br townhouse with a small yard for < 100,000. I just need a patch of grass! I have 2 dachshunds that love to bask in the sun. But, alas, townhomes seem to be a bit more than that. Maybe something will open up within the next few month though.

This will be my first house purchase so I don't really know anything :confused:. Luckily my grandpa is a realtor and will be helping me out when the time comes.

PS I'm going to SA this weekend to visit family and drive through neighborhoods, haha. And go see Our Body: The Universe Within at the Witte.

We should all vote for our thread. I just did... I don't know if it makes any real difference other than I like to thing our thread is first rate. :thumbup:

what say ye?!

We should all vote for our thread. I just did... I don't know if it makes any real difference other than I like to thing our thread is first rate. :thumbup:

what say ye?!

haha. i voted.

what i want to know is, where is everyone?! why are there only like 4 of us talking on here. i know there are more out there on sdn!

I'm sure you all are way out in front of me as far as planning for the welcome weekend is concerned, but if you are hoping to stay in a hotel on the night of 4/4 and/or 4/5 and haven't booked it yet, you could be in trouble. Welcome weekend is the same weekend as the final 4 and of the hotels listed on the welcome weekend agenda, country hearth inn is the only place with rooms left... and there aren't many of those remaining, apparently. Just FYI :thumbup: Looking forward to meeting all of you!

I also voted!!

Was there a discount for UTHSCSA affiliated persons staying @ Country Hearth?

Thanks for the info drumdoc, for a second (or hour) I was panicking at all the talk about Jan. 15th among the in-staters. I will inquire about the actual date. I'm from Colorado, so to me there are a lot of great factors pulling me in both directions. I hope welcome weekend will help, on which note, I am still hoping to get housing with a med student. Hopefully that will be possible, b/c I definitely have not thought and cannot really afford to book hotel rooms. I am really nervous about finding housing somewhere I've never been, and trying to find roommates potentially as well.

Hey all, I'm Tom, another fourth year student who wants to just welcome you to San Antonio and let you know that if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Also, I am selling a house if anyone is interested in buying (new neighborhood, 3bed/2bath, 15min from school, probably around $150K).

I looked at the questions but I think I am to far out from having attending to answer those questions in any way that would help out! :(

Thanks for the info drumdoc, for a second (or hour) I was panicking at all the talk about Jan. 15th among the in-staters. I will inquire about the actual date. I'm from Colorado, so to me there are a lot of great factors pulling me in both directions. I hope welcome weekend will help, on which note, I am still hoping to get housing with a med student. Hopefully that will be possible, b/c I definitely have not thought and cannot really afford to book hotel rooms. I am really nervous about finding housing somewhere I've never been, and trying to find roommates potentially as well.

No prob. I'm doing the housing search from afar as well.

For the approaching Welcome Weekend, I managed to reserve a suite for four since I have some family coming which breaks down to $50 dollars a person/night. Our room has two beds and sleeper sofa which is just perfect for us. Just a thought for those who might be considering a room and have family or friends coming to the event...

Hey everyone! First of all, congrats to everyone on getting into medical school! I'm so excited to start and can't wait to meet all of my future classmates.

I wanted to let all of you know that I am looking for a female roommate for next year. I just bought a 3 bed/2 bath house in the Pheasant Creek neighborhood (it is about a 5-7 min drive from house to medical school). The neighborhood is very safe, quiet, and well-kept. The house backs up to open space and is slightly offset from the main street, so it makes for a very cozy and conducive-to-studying atmosphere. We 'just' bought the house, so we have not yet figured out exact rent prices, but it will be competitive with apartments in the area.

The room I'm looking to rent is in the front of the house and has a beautiful bay window. The dimensions are 12x13, and there is a bathroom located in the hallway right outside the bedroom (and will be for your personal use). The middle bedroom will be turned into a study/storage/whatever else is needed area.

I have posted pictures of the house as purchased at this link: housenearmedicalschool.snapfish.com/snapfish
The password to get into the group is co2012.
There will be some new paint jobs and the main part of the house will be furnished (you have the option of renting the front room either furnished or unfurnished).

I am currently living out of state (and will be until the end of May), but I will be attending Welcome Weekend and can meet with anyone during that weekend if you would like to see the house or discuss particulars in person. In the meantime though, please PM me on here if you have any questions. Thanks!

*This same message is also posted on the discussion board in the UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2012 group on Facebook*

Welcome Zealand! Nice house. Those pics look incredible! I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a roommate. :thumbup:

so does anybody know if we should be expecting a nice packet in the mail with tons of info we already know but still excites to read it anyway?

i'm checking the mail daily to only find bills and credit card offers.

so does anybody know if we should be expecting a nice packet in the mail with tons of info we already know but still excites to read it anyway?

thats my same question, i check every day expecting as well..

me too! i check hoping for something good every day.

Me too. I've also resorted to checking the UTHSCSA website as if it's about to change again any time soon...

Welcome Zealand! Nice house. Those pics look incredible! I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a roommate. :thumbup:

Thanks! I'm super excited about it. Gotta love San Antonio for the awesome deals on housing.

I asked a friend of mine who is currently an MSIII and she said that they did send out an official packet in the mail but that it took a pretty long time. She also told me that they give out a really good info packet at WW, so whoever attends that will at least get some stuff in the near future. Still hoping the official papers come before that though.

Hi everyone. I got in!!! Yay me!!! :hardy:

Now a question...does UTHSCSA have study rooms for MS1 students? The kind I mean are those that are assigned to each student with an assigned desk with a place to lock and store stuff? I have seen these at some other schools but dont recall seeing them on my UTHSCSA tour.

I dont know if this question has already been addressed, but if it has, could someone link me up to the right forum because I couldnt find it.

Thanks.

Hi everyone. I got in!!! Yay me!!! :hardy:

Now a question...does UTHSCSA have study rooms for MS1 students? The kind I mean are those that are assigned to each student with an assigned desk with a place to lock and store stuff? I have seen these at some other schools but dont recall seeing them on my UTHSCSA tour.

I dont know if this question has already been addressed, but if it has, could someone link me up to the right forum because I couldnt find it.

Thanks.
nope, no assigned study rooms. there are lockers, but it's up to you to find a place to hit the books

Hey all... sorry I haven't been on here lately. I'm still excited to get to know all of you, and I hope to meet most of you at Welcome Weekend!

I talked to Belinda on the phone earlier this week to ask her a quick question. She mentioned to me that our packets will be mailed to us in mid to late March! So if you are checking the mail every day... have a little more patience (at least 2-3 weeks!).

This is a random question (maybe for the current students)... do you know if UTHSCSA's wireless internet is 802.1 b/g/ or x? I'm wondering cause I just bought an iTouch which doesn't work on our schools 802.1x network. It's a real neat gadget... especially when you can get a WiFi signal!

See you all soon!

thanks dude.

does anyone know when we take our photos? is it at welcome weekend or orientation?

thanks dude.

does anyone know when we take our photos? is it at welcome weekend or orientation?

They totally blind sided us with this one. So we come in on the first day for orientation week and they tell us to wait in this line. Lo and behold, they are taking snap shots of us which they will use for the next four years. Those photos of you will haunt you for the rest of your med school life!!

So, I called the school a while back to check on my premed requirements and make sure they were fulfilled. The person I talked to told me that we were going to have to send all of our transcripts from all universities directly to them, so I should go ahead and start doing that. Do any of you know the address we are suppose to send these to? I couldn't find it on the site, but I could be overlooking it somehow.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

They totally blind sided us with this one. So we come in on the first day for orientation week and they tell us to wait in this line. Lo and behold, they are taking snap shots of us which they will use for the next four years. Those photos of you will haunt you for the rest of your med school life!!

thanks for the info. now i wont look like a bozo on picture day like i did in the 7th grade:scared:

So, I called the school a while back to check on my premed requirements and make sure they were fulfilled. The person I talked to told me that we were going to have to send all of our transcripts from all universities directly to them, so I should go ahead and start doing that. Do any of you know the address we are suppose to send these to? I couldn't find it on the site, but I could be overlooking it somehow.

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it.

where should those be sent?

How does the Big Sib thing work? When visiting one of the lecture halls I saw a list w/ the previous years Big/Lil' Sib pairings.

How does the Big Sib thing work? When visiting one of the lecture halls I saw a list w/ the previous years Big/Lil' Sib pairings.

Every MS1 is paired with a MS2. You don't have to sign up or do anything. Sometime at the start of the year, the list will be posted for your class and during lunch one day, everyone plays where's Waldo and tries to figure out who's who. They try to match you based on where you went to school beforehand. How involved your Big Sib will be is hit and miss. I know some that will bake goodies and donate books to their Lil Sib and others that never hear from their Big Sib again after the initial meeting. Actually, I can't wait to get my Lil Sib!!

Every MS1 is paired with a MS2. You don't have to sign up or do anything. Sometime at the start of the year, the list will be posted for your class and during lunch one day, everyone plays where's Waldo and tries to figure out who's who. They try to match you based on where you went to school beforehand. How involved your Big Sib will be is hit and miss. I know some that will bake goodies and donate books to their Lil Sib and others that never hear from their Big Sib again after the initial meeting. Actually, I can't wait to get my Lil Sib!!

I want a good one!