UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just thought I would offer some of my general thoughts on the MD/MPH program. Granted, these are just my opinions, so take them for what they are worth. I will be coming into med school with an MSPH already so the MD/MPH is something I obviously won't be pursuing.

First, I think MPH or MSPH programs produce two types of graduates: those with a discernable skill set and those with extra letters behind their name. Unfortunately, the vast majority of graduates are in the latter category. This is no reflection on the students but rather the individual track one is in. I have found that individuals in epidemiology and biostatistics tend to acquire strong skill sets. People in other departments..not so much. I think this is a particular danger for general, bare bones programs like San Antonio's. You will be exposed to public health in a broad manner but will not develop a specific skill set. Their program simple lacks the depth. This is particularly problematic if you do want to do something like infectious disease epi, biostatistics or health policy. Having said all this, there is certainly value in just getting the degree-networking being one.

Some people also take issue with the combined MD/MPH route. It is felt by some that you are short changing your public health experience because you have to take less elective work. I can't really offer an opinion on that though.

The one thing I have noticed here at Tulane, and I am sure it is the same for other schools of public health, is that the people that gain the most from the MPH program seem to be MDs with prior clinical experience. They know exactly what skills they wish to acquire from the program. I believe this is why Harvard limits its MPH program to clinicians. There are plenty of opportunities to get an MPH later down the road. Many ID fellowships allow one to pursue an MPH if it is available. For example, here at Tulane many of the ID fellows are enrolled in either the epi MPH program or the trop med MPH&TM program. There are also preventive medicine residencies and combined residencies (IM/PM).

So, I guess my opinion could be summed up as followed: if you are just wanting a broad exposure to public health and feel that the credentials would be helpful then the San Antonio program may be just the thing for you. If, on the other hand, you have very specific learning goals (e.g. health policy, infectious disease epi, refugee health, etc.) and you want to learn from faculty that are world class experts in their field then waiting to get the MPH may be the appropriate thing to do.

Just my two cents.

Members don't see this ad.

Happy Holidays to all you folks out there. So I am curious, how do medical students get to campus? Is there somewhere to park my car, or is riding a bike safe in that area (getting hit by a car is my worry). I am trying to figure out where to live and these play a big part.

There is parking, but the earlier you get your name on the list the closer to the lecture hall you'll be. I'd get it done the first day possible (usu when you get your ID).

There are bike racks, but I wouldn't recommend biking to school since there aren't any designated bike lanes. Most folks walk who live close by. A few have motorbikes or scooters (vespa and the sort). The convenient thing about the latter is that the parking spot for motorbikes and such is much closer to the lecture halls.

Others drive, and as long as you get a parking spot on campus, the walk is under 10 minutes (even the furthest away on campus). If you get remote parking, you have to wait for the shuttle bus. Parking tags are first come first served. So get your name on the list as soon as possible.

You all have probably seen this already (I posted it on the Republic of TX thread, too)...

Hey all! HAPPY NEW YEAR! I'm sittin' here watching some college football... some good games on today!

Anyways, some of you might have already seen this, but UTHSCSA students made this funny video... I think they showed it at their Showcase Weekend. It is pretty entertaining, and might be somewhat helpful if anyone is thinking about UTHSCSA. I found it funny, and I look forward to joining their student body! Enjoy!

<okay I can't get the link to work... so if you have Facebook, just search for "UTHSCSA" under Groups, then find the group "UTHSCSA Medical School Class of 2012." You'll find the video there>

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone here, especially those married, started hunting for medical insurance or are most going w/ Megalife or whatever they commonly offer students?

Where is everybody??? We need to start some kind of dicussion here! I will be joining the class of 2012!! cant wait to start school.

Welcome drgop1, :)

Yeah, this thing hasn't been very lively lately. Congrats on choosing UTHSCSA! I'm really excited. I received an email from a friend saying that the welcome weekend will be April 4th & 5th. Has anyone else heard this?

Howdy all,

I am also officially a member of the UTHSCSA Class of 2012, after finally dropping my UTSW offer.

I got a notification about the welcome weekend from the facebook group. If you haven't joined, search UTHSCSA Class of 2012, and join!

I don't know if you're like me, but I'm real anxious to get started and the fact that we don't start for another six months has made my SDN craze increase ten-fold. We need to keep this thread alive and thriving!

Can't wait to see you all at the Welcome Weekend in a couple of months.

Anybody thought yet about where to live? There are alot of nice apt complexes right smack in the middle of the health science center. I'm still thinking about a house though.

so it's official, I will be in San Antonio next year! I think I knew it all along, it was just so hard to decline ANY offer! I joined the facebook group too finally :)

Where is everybody??? We need to start some kind of dicussion here! I will be joining the class of 2012!! cant wait to start school.

You sir are absolutely right, we definitely need to pick up the discussion around here. I for one would like to know if anyone is going to do anything cool before they start med school. I think my wife and I are going to go on a cruise ( i have never been on one before) in may. After that, I plan on moving to San Antonio early so I can get settled in, and enjoy as many cold brews as I can before school starts...Anyone with me?

Welcome drgop1, :)

Yeah, this thing hasn't been very lively lately. Congrats on choosing UTHSCSA! I'm really excited. I received an email from a friend saying that the welcome weekend will be April 4th & 5th. Has anyone else heard this?

I haven’t! I just joined the group but still need to find a decent picture for my profile! I’m planning on a trip to Costa Rica with my wife, maybe later in June first or second week, I love that place! Other than this I’m planning to work my butt off to pay for an old credit card (minimum payment is a curse) and save some money before school starts. I wish I could move to San Antonio before July but I rather stay working and make some money while I can. I need to start thinking about an apartment before they are all gone! I need something close to school, safe, and not so scary looking, if you guys see something like this let me know...​

Costa Rica, nice! :) My wife and I were there over New Years -- you're right it's really beautiful. We wanted to do a celebratory "pre-med school" Alaskan cruise but had do cancel once we learned that we're expecting a baby! Needless to say, 2008 is turning out to be a really big year.

I'm probably not moving to SA until early July. When are others planning on moving down (or north, east, west) to our home for the next four years?

MS3 here. Twitch, you're doing a fine job of answering questions. If y'all have any other questions about the clinical years, etc, let me know. And congratulations!!! You're coming to a fine school. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
howdy all,

i think my girlfriend and I are either going to take a trip to somewhere in europe or new york for a couple of weeks in may.

I'll probably be moving to San Antonio sometime in June.

anyone been to nyc recently and can recommend any good shows?

Costa Rica, nice! :) My wife and I were there over New Years -- you're right it's really beautiful. We wanted to do a celebratory "pre-med school" Alaskan cruise but had do cancel once we learned that we're expecting a baby! Needless to say, 2008 is turning out to be a really big year.

I'm probably not moving to SA until early July. When are others planning on moving down (or north, east, west) to our home for the next four years?

Wow!! Those are big news! Congratulations on the baby! It is definitely an accomplishment! We would really like to have a baby as well but decided to wait 'till we see how we manage our time and finances during med school. I'm really happy for you!

Congrats drumdoc! When is your wife due? My wife and I just had a little girl in September... nothing like being a daddy!!! My wife, my little girl, and I are probably making the move in early May. Although we're still waiting on KU to decide on me, but we're almost certainly coming to SA. Congrats again!!

sup ppl...its nice that most of you guys are married. im no where close to being there. but im planning to backpack through europe in the summer!

:D Thanks and congrats to you hawk126! I'm really excited. The baby's due in September, so it's still pretty early.

Hi EvoDevo. What rotation are your currently in and how are you liking it? Also, I'd be interested in your thoughts/perspective on the MD/MPH program.

yeah, i would like to hear a little more about the MD/MPH program, people say that if you are not going into primary care it will be a waste of time, what do you guys think???

yeah, i would like to hear a little more about the MD/MPH program, people say that if you are not going into primary care it will be a waste of time, what do you guys think???

I don't think it really depends on whether one is pursuing primary care versus non-primary care. While I think an MPH can be of value to any physician, I believe that it is most beneficial for those going into academic medicine or research.

As I said in an earlier post on this page, I think it is best to know exactly what skill set you wish to gain from an MPH program and then determine if a school can provide that skill set.

Can someone post of list of textbooks we will need for yr 1. thanks

If not a list, i would like to know what the required books are for first year. Maybe i can start doing some shopping before my money runs out!

If not a list, i would like to know what the required books are for first year. Maybe i can start doing some shopping before my money runs out!

I have been told by many medical students to wait and see what textbooks are really needed. Many have complained that they wasted money their first year buying all of the required books when, in truth, very few of them were truly needed.

yeah I also heard that we should wait to see which textbooks we will really need since we will get most of our material in syllabi and lecture notes. but it would be nice to have a list of textbooks which most students think are essential for 1st yr.

I know most of you are eager to start shopping and such for books but if possible, I'd say hold off on it. Oddly enough, despite this disclaimer many of you will still want to go out and spend the $$$. Keep in mind this is just some books I think are useful and may not be used in your year. Moreover, it may not suit your style of learning and could be money down the drain. So one more time don't do it.

For the rest of you impatient ones who have money to burn apparently:

**THIS IS NOT A LIST OF REQUIRED BOOKS. JUST ONES I LIKE ***

1) First Aid - get a USED one from 2004. Find one that is annotated well with nice colors and good handwriting.

2) Anatomy - Moore & Dalley Clinically Oriented Anatomy. Netters Atlas. Rohen's Atlas. BRS Embryo

3) Micro - Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple.

4) Physio - (Big) Costanza. Not the (small) BRS one from her.

There are folks who don't buy a single book except maybe an atlas or such and still do very well with just the class notes. This is another reason why we are suggesting to wait till you get here to get a feel for what you'll really need before you go out and throw that cash away.

Do you guys mind posting your GPA/MCATS?

Everyone check your emails so you can RSVP for the Welcome Weekend!!

I'm excited to get to meet everyone!

Why?

We have been accepted so I figure that we all are on equal footing now- until we prove otherwise.

Gunner!? :) Mine's posted via MDApps... see the link just below my moniker. Congrats to all my new classmates!! Look forward to meeting all of you!

To all my fellow MS-0's, I wish you a hearty hello! For those of you who put the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio number 1 on the match, we together have reached our homeland. We will work together to make this the greatest class the school has ever seen. To those of you who chose it as anything but number 1, well....we will learn to love you anyway (I would put a smiley face but I swore those off after I graduated a couple years ago).

Now that we are in, I can only hope the competitive nature that has allowed each of us to reach San Antonio can be put away. I can only hope that we all move past gpa, standardized test scores, rank, and general gunnery. Lets help one another and continue the strong sense of community that made this school my first choice.

Once again, I look forward to meeting each and every one of you.

To all my fellow MS-0's, I wish you a hearty hello! For those of you who put the University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio number 1 on the match, we together have reached our homeland. We will work together to make this the greatest class the school has ever seen. To those of you who chose it as anything but number 1, well....we will learn to love you anyway (I would put a smiley face but I swore those off after I graduated a couple years ago).

Now that we are in, I can only hope the competitive nature that has allowed each of us to reach San Antonio can be put away. I can only hope that we all move past gpa, standardized test scores, rank, and general gunnery. Lets help one another and continue the strong sense of community that made this school my first choice.

Once again, I look forward to meeting each and every one of you.

Very well put! After meeting some of the class during the showcase weekend, I can promise you that we are all part of something special. Everyone that I talked to had the same feelings as you.

Great sentiments. I agree -- congrats to all. I'm looking forward to a sleep-deprived, midnight-run filled, and joyous four years with all of you! :D

Welcome weekend can't come soon enough. :hardy:

My study group will be keeping seats warm in the MD labs tonight 'til 3 or so. My only advice is to make the most of the free time you have......ala if you ever thought about going to Europe, Alaska, New Zealand <insert your fantasy> do it. I would even go so far as to say do it on a loan because a couple grand won't be much and regret begs a higher price.

Goodnight and congrats.

'Rambler

Very well put! After meeting some of the class during the showcase weekend, I can promise you that we are all part of something special. Everyone that I talked to had the same feelings as you.

PattheAggie, I am pretty sure you and I know one another from Showcase Weekend. We talked at length about the need to ensure a sense of community within our class, and to setup a note taking service or recorded lectures, etc. Plus, we just became "friends" yesterday, whatever the heck that is worth.

But, more immediately, we will have to see how UT does when they play A&M in Austin February 18. Although I have to say, the A&M program is an example of what great coaching can do in the college game with some good reliable recruitment. Look forward to meeting the wife. See you in April.

Flymm,

From the uthscsa2011.com page, I've noticed that they've started podcasting classes! We may not have to do anything for that -- just continue what's been working.

That's great to know that classmates have already begun talking about community. :D

PattheAggie, I am pretty sure you and I know one another from Showcase Weekend. We talked at length about the need to ensure a sense of community within our class, and to setup a note taking service or recorded lectures, etc. Plus, we just became "friends" yesterday, whatever the heck that is worth.

But, more immediately, we will have to see how UT does when they play A&M in Austin February 18. Although I have to say, the A&M program is an example of what great coaching can do in the college game with some good reliable recruitment. Look forward to meeting the wife. See you in April.

Yeah that was definitely me at the showcase weekend, it is good to hear from you again. As for that basketball game, that was amazing. I didn't think our chances were very good, but It was exactly what our team needed to get back into the big 12 race. Hopefully A&M can take this momentum and win the next few games (which are very winnable), before they head into Austin.

uI just want to throw in my part concerning the MD/MPH for those who are deciding to participate in that program or not. I'm currently in the program and can offer a few insights.

Yes, you can't specialize in a specific concentration (except for Global Health which is what I will do) where it's listed on your degree (i.e. biostats, epi...etc) but if you get a feel of what you want out of the program you can tailor your electives and your thesis to what you want.

MD/MPH is not only for primary care physicians as I don't plan on being a primary care doc. I was and still am military (just changed job description) I hope to use my MPH insight and knowledge through international affairs with our host countries in planning and executing bioterrorism/epi plans. And after I'm out of the military, I would like to do more international medical work. So don't restrict yourself.

I certainly don't think that an MPH is only valid for research or admin MD types. Thinking that way just pegs you in a hole. You can be as creative in how you use your degree as you want.

Yes, there are plenty of MD's that pursue their MPH during fellowship (but those that do it tend to be more ID/IM/FM docs) and might be a better option for you if you feel you won't have the time to do it this way.

I'm loving the program (even with all it's growing pains) and it really has given me a different insight in medicine. And it's a nice change from memorizing all the viruses in the world!!

If you have any other questions/ concerns about the program before you can your final decision, just drop me a line.

and......CONGRATS to everyone and joining our UTHSCSA family!

Flymm,

From the uthscsa2011.com page, I've noticed that they've started podcasting classes! We may not have to do anything for that -- just continue what's been working.

That's great to know that classmates have already begun talking about community. :D

I have to be honest, I don't know a thing about podcasting. If it means that someone records the lecture and then posts it online that is great! If we can have all of our lectures online, this will be so much easier! Man, I thought we were going to have to do all the ground work on getting this up and running. Now that the foundation is there, it should not be a problem at all. I wonder how they do it? Any input from you guys currently in med school at UTHSCSA?

Wow, I had no idea they had a class website. We should get one of those going. Do we need to reserve that web address? Do they pay someone to do it? I would gladly throw in a couple bucks each year for someone to have our site updated and looking good.

I have to be honest, I don't know a thing about podcasting. If it means that someone records the lecture and then posts it online that is great! If we can have all of our lectures online, this will be so much easier! Man, I thought we were going to have to do all the ground work on getting this up and running. Now that the foundation is there, it should not be a problem at all. I wonder how they do it? Any input from you guys currently in med school at UTHSCSA?

Wow, I had no idea they had a class website. We should get one of those going. Do we need to reserve that web address? Do they pay someone to do it? I would gladly throw in a couple bucks each year for someone to have our site updated and looking good.

Shoot an email to the webmaster and she will give you all the information you are asking for. She did a lot of the groundwork for the podcasting and it has gone from very informal (recorder on the desk) at the beginning of the semester to pretty good sound quality with the recorder being "in-line" with the microphone feeds. Dean Clare has been great in hearing our concerns and getting this thing up and running in short order.

FWIW, I rarely attend class and I listen to the podcasts at my leisure, like right now.

Y'all will also want to set up a list-serve for sharing information, study guides, etc......ours is with google groups. I am still amazed at the hard work people put in organizing this information and then they post it for everyone, it is great. San Antonio is great.

Congrats again and please give any of the 1st years on here or the facebook group a holler if you have any more questions, enjoy your time off.

'Rambler

Hey guys,

It so happens that I'm our class IT Chair (i.e. webmaster and podcaster...among other things....).

I created the website off of a server I already bought into before so yes, I'm paying for it but there are other free options. The school is not responsible for this and just takes someone with interest to do it from your class.

Here are links to other class websites that were free:
http://www.uthscsamd2010.com/
http://seanpaul15.googlepages.com/

Maybe someone in your class enjoys working online with web pages and such and they'll be willing to create a class website for your class.
It's actually relaxing and meditative for me and my laptop is attached to my hip!!!

I've mentioned to the school's information services that it would be great if they provided web space on the school's server for each class and student organizations but that probably won't occur relatively soon, but I'm working on it.

As for the podcasting, I record the lectures and then the school has someone download them and upload them to the school's server. You can download them into iTunes and for those who are familiar with RSS feeds, you can subscribe to the podcasts. I'm trying to get more control of the project to the students because I think they are more tech savy than those who are also working on the project in the Dean's office but there hasn't been huge problems so far. Now someone does have to record the lectures and at some point, the Dean's office will look for people from your class to do this. I get paid (not a lot) but it's gas money.

congrats to everyone that got in...look forward to seeing everyone soon

Hi everyone!! Congratulations to all our new MS0’s fellows. This is going to be the heck of a class! San Antonio was my pre-match offer and my number choice as well; you can already tell how much I wanted to come here!! Can’t wait to meet all of you! If someone knows of a webpage where leaving residents or medical students are selling their stuff or even renting their apartments/houses please let me know…​

Drgop1,

You may want to check out UTHSCSA class of 2011's google group. This is a mighty resource where interesting things like roomate/housing posts appear on occassion.

http://groups.google.com/group/uthscsa2011

Roshario,

Thanks for the podcasting info. Do you know what kind of hardware is being used to record the lectures?

Drgop1,

You may want to check out UTHSCSA class of 2011's google group. This is a mighty resource where interesting things like roomate/housing posts appear on occassion.

http://groups.google.com/group/uthscsa2011

Roshario,

Thanks for the podcasting info. Do you know what kind of hardware is being used to record the lectures?
I use (which the school has bought and owns) a portal digital audio recorder (Edirol R-09 Portable 24 bit MP3/Wav Recorder). I use a stereo line in to record the lectures directly from the microphone feed as mentioned before. Actually it's quite simple for the most part. I just need to be in every lecture! =o) But I'm a class goer and in case I can't be there, there are several students who are more than willing to fill in.

Hey. I'm a huge lurker here and just wanted to say hi. I'm officially in the UTHSCSA class of 2012. Excitingggggg.

PS I'll be at the welcome weekend.

Hey. I'm a huge lurker here and just wanted to say hi. I'm officially in the UTHSCSA class of 2012. Excitingggggg.

PS I'll be at the welcome weekend.

Nice to have you here with us, and I'll see ya there!

I am also long time lurker who is in the class of 2012

any ideas where to take biochemistry?