UTHSCSA Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good question. I myself was wondering when are we supposed to conduct this research (how is our schedule manipulated so we can accommodate getting enough data via research to publish a peer reviewed manuscript)?

I'm not in the program but an option a lot of students take is start their research during their summer between MS1 and MS2 as you'll have about 8 weeks. Then they carry on with their work through out the next 1-2.5 years depending on how they want to work it in their schedule. During your MS2 year, classes will usually end around 12 (occasionally you'll have clinical skills courses in the afternoon) so you could do some research throughout the week in small increments in the afternoon. Of course, in the end it's how you and your PI decide would be the best way to develop a schedule for you.

There are not a lot of people that start their research in the first year of med school. People will look for PI and formulate research ideas and complete the MD w/ Distinction package during the first year so you can get started in the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah ok, thanks again. And as usual... another question (edit: nm I saw the laptop talk earlier)... so I have a different question: Say I like to go to class... wouldn't it be almost necessary to have a laptop if you go to class to take notes and stuff? Just wondering why you would or would not need a laptop... thanks!!

Well done all of you! My name is Symon and I am now a DSII at uthscsa. I would be happy to answer any questions or discuss any thoughts on your upcoming year. you can email me directly at [email protected].
Again congratulations all and enjoy your summer!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everybody, does anyone happen know what time the white coat ceremony is supposed to start? I have some family members that will be in town that weekend and they would like to come as long as it doesnt start too late.

I'll try to break it down some:

1. You will have to buy your course syllabi. It's not an option and it's not included in your tuition. It costs around $800 ($790 to be exact) and it's split into two payments (2 payments of $395), one in the fall and one at the start of spring semesters. Can't get your syllabi without receipt of payment. Your syllabi will have everything the professor's will test you over with the exception of 2 classes.

2. For the most part, you will not need books for your classes even if the syllabi or professors say it's required. (There are exceptions) You can get by soley on the syllabi.

3. Exceptions and break down of prices: (the prices for the textbooks listed are the school's bookstore's price last fall and does not include taxes; you can no doubt find them for cheaper online or used or maybe someone will feel generous and donate their books :oops:)
  • Course syllabi (already mentioned): ~$800 split into two payments. FYI: this is paid at the Dean's office not the bookstore

• Get a anatomical atlas, like Netters. (You'll need it for anatomy): $75.95

• Review of Medical Microbiology by Levison (this will mostly be used in the spring semester in microbiology so you can wait and get it then. The syllabus of micro becomes limited in info in the spring and you'll have to refer to the book - this was a change in our class from previous ones who did not have to rely on this textbook): $41.95

• Physiology by Constanzo (you'll need it for physiology which starts sometime in the fall; the syllabus for this course is practically nil and you'll need the book to pull info from): $54.95
Note: Some students have bought the Board Review Series (BRS): Physiology book instead to use since it's written by the same author
and more concise

4. Recommended book: You'll have so many recommendations or advice from previous students on what books were helpful. It kind of depends on you though. Having lots of references were useful for some who had the time to read through the extra pages and others did just fine or great with the bare minimum. Also, the books that the professors list as required are on reserve at the library so you can always check it out for a few hours, look at the material and return it.

5. Equipment: The school will say you'll need to buy all these equipment for use with interaction with standardize patient for various parts of the physical examination you'll start to learn in your MS1 year. Most students could get by with only having a stethoscope, pocket light, and a visual acuity card. The other equipment listed are in the clinical skill room you saw through your campus tools when you interact with your standardized patients.

Thank you so much for that very helpful breakdown. I was wondering what stethoscope people will recommend for what preferences. I just know that it is kind of a personal preference thing. Even so, I wanted to get an idea because we were sent the MS1 equipment sale packet, and I'm guessing that would be a good place for me to get the equipment. Also, where does one get a pocket light?

Thank you so much for that very helpful breakdown. I was wondering what stethoscope people will recommend for what preferences. I just know that it is kind of a personal preference thing. Even so, I wanted to get an idea because we were sent the MS1 equipment sale packet, and I'm guessing that would be a good place for me to get the equipment. Also, where does one get a pocket light?

I would wait until classes start before you worry about buying equipment. The school's packet is EXPENSIVE!! There were a couple students last year and probably this year who had contacts or were able to sell equipment for a lot less.

You can get a pocket light at the campus bookstore.

hey pattheaggie, I actually called today to find that info out. 10:00am start time for white coat ceremony.

Hmm...so I was messing around on the inside.uthscsa website after umz posted that the MSI schedule was out and realized that the "enroll in a class" link under learner services>academics now stated that we "are eligible to view and/or modify enrollment information for the terms listed." I don't have my admissions packet with me (still in the process of unpacking after my move to SA) and can't remember if it said anything about this, so I was wondering if any of you know whether we are supposed to go ahead and register for classes based on the released schedule or if we will be doing this during orientation week? I'm kinda excited and think it would be fun to actually be enrolled in classes (I know, it doesn't really make a difference, but still feels more official!), but I don't want to try anything and somehow screw up my registration process. Any input?

You do not register for classes!! The school does it for you.

Does anyone know when we are going to pick the size of our white coat? Do we get to try some on or do we guess at what size we think we might wear. thanks

Excellent ?... Bump!!

Also, a good buddy of mine was just admitted off the waitlist, so it's moving for anyone who's curious!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to your friend, Hawk!

I, too, am curious about this white coat thing. I'm getting really pumped about the whole school thing though. If only the work would stop! I shouldn't complain though, I got my first publication last month and may complete a second manuscript depending on the current experiment results.

We bought our house a few weeks ago. We're paying someone to cut the grass and have already paid some utilities, but we haven't seen the house since Welcome Weekend -- so none of this actually feels real. Counting the days....

I'm sure everyone has already come across this -- but here's a link to the financial aid info for this year: http://studentservices.uthscsa.edu/financialAid.aspx#topofpage
There's also an interesting discussion of the topic on the class of 2011's page.

Does anyone know when we are going to pick the size of our white coat? Do we get to try some on or do we guess at what size we think we might wear. thanks

There's was something on a form or event registration site that you had to indicate your white coat size. So you basically have to guess your coat size.

There's was something on a form or event registration site that you had to indicate your white coat size. So you basically have to guess your coat size.

Whoops, must have missed that. Any suggestions on who to call to straighten things out on the white coat size front?

Whoops, must have missed that. Any suggestions on who to call to straighten things out on the white coat size front?

I dont know if Roshario meant that it already happened or it will, if it did then you and I are in the same boat!

I dont know if Roshario meant that it already happened or it will, if it did then you and I are in the same boat!

Sorry, guys....I should have clarified. I remember from last year either getting something in the mail or email about white coat and the orientation schedule and we had to indicate our white coat size then. I don't know if that has been sent out to you guys or not and I can't remember when I got it last year. I think it was about 1 month out we got the info....but alas, my mind is stuffed with other things.

So has anyone heard back from the financial aid office after filling out the MPN and completing the entrance counseling??

Does anyone know what guest should wear to the white coat ceremony? Also do we just wear a buttoned up shirt, slacks, and tie?

Does anyone know what guest should wear to the white coat ceremony? Also do we just wear a buttoned up shirt, slacks, and tie?

Wear your Sunday best. (So yes to your shirt, slacks tie question).